PDA

View Full Version : How many folks from here go to Otakuthon?

Kildread
11-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Just checking if this forum is as dead as the lack of topics imply --- or people just lurk. Since I'll be going there in 2011.

EDIT: OK --- I feel dumb and there's no delete thread button --- seems the forum default for threads showing is 1 month and my account was set to use that. Soooo --- this is pretty much a thread for folks like me who are just starting to join the cosplay scene and don't know a whole lot of folks in the events.

Planned cosplays for the event :

Megamind
Jellal Fernandes (Fairy Tail)
Still up in the air for the last one --- I might do something easy like Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain.

genkimami
11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Usually the forum is more active during the months closer to the con :) I went last time and I'll be going again in 2011. I went with a few friends, but I don't know many people from the cos.com forums, though. I'll be cosplaying from Persona 3 with 2 other friends.

Kildread
11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I like to plan very early it seems. Which characters of P3 will you have? (If that's not a secret)

I'll totally want to take pictures of you guys. Persona being one of my favorite series since I played Eternal Punishment.

My photo gallery on here doesn't show it, but taking pictures of cosplays is the second best thing next to dressing up at conventions for me. (Oh hey, I photographed that Zelda at Cape & Kimono in Québec!)

jusdepomme
11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
I'll be there as always! But this time, I'm in charge of the masquerade :D

genkimami
11-29-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm going to be cosplaying Fuuka with 2 other friends as Mitsuru and Junpei. Mitsuru is already complete (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/131511/), but the other 2 have yet to be started. I feel like we're planning really in advance too!

I like to take cosplay photos too and Otakuthon is just great for pictures since the convention center has good lighting and nice spots (better than Cape & Kimono).

Kildread
11-29-2010, 06:31 PM
It's not that hard to be better than a small part of an hotel floor in the middle of a crowded city portion :P

I'll be keeping an eye out for your group on that date then! (Although I would regardless, considering it's Persona and all).

Kaoru133
11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I'll probably go for a day, since im going to Otakon and Otakuthon is a week later xD but if i dont spend alot of money at otakon maybe i'll go for the whole weekend O.o

genkimami
11-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Well ok, comparing it to the location of Cape & Kimono isn't saying much, but really the location for Otakuthon is great. I was really impressed with it!

We'll be wearing our P3 cosplays Saturday and Sunday so there's a good chance you'll see us. Hopefully we'll run into each other! (I feel kinda silly talking about the convention that much ahead of time, hahah)

VickyBunnyAngel
11-30-2010, 12:38 AM
What Genkimami said, it's not that Otakuthon isn't a popular event (you'll find the Otakuthon forums on their actual website is much more active than the one here on cosplay.com), but this forum doesn't get a lot of attention until a few months closer to the con.

I've gone twice in loved it! Will be returning again in 2011 for sure. My cosplay list is unconfirmed, but I'm crossing my fingers that I finish Hrist from Valkyrie Profile

Otaking97
11-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Not me. I barely make the Toronto cons anymore which are close to me.

Jerseymilk
11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
This past summer was my first time going and I was really impressed with it. The location, cosplays, events, surrounding area(Chinatown etc.), and just general atmosphere of the con are wonderful. Definitely didn't regret my last-minute decision to go. XD Will be returning in 2011 for sure!

Vicky: I remember seeing you in the lower lobby getting pictures taken. Your cosplay was very beautiful to see in real life. :)

Kildread
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
@VickyBunnyAngel : I should consider joining their official forums, part of me was hoping to just register here and go from there, as I plan to check out more than just cons in my country. If you actually finish Hrist for Otakuthon, I'll be sure to look you up --- your costumes are amazing!

@JerseyMilk : I skipped out this year, as it was much too last-minute for me, and I wanted to actually have costumes on that time (Getting them commissionned on such short notice is a bad idea). 2011 is for real though --- and my sister's in Montreal, so it's less trouble to attend Otakuthon for me than Anime North. Really looking forward to it, I've seen plenty of pictures from the event of this year.

MDA
12-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I've gone the last two years, and I can't wait for next year :)

I already have a couple things planned.

1) Participate in the masquerade again :)
2) Cosplays~!

I've figured out 2 of my cosplays.

Fri: Yoko Littner (in a nurse outfit) from Gurren Lagann
Sat: girl!Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (masq. cosplay)
Sun: ...debating between bringing Rider from Fate/stay night again (but the wig and accessories are annoying), or wearing Agito/Akito Wanijima from Air Gear (awkward due to the eyepatch and long straps).

Kildread
12-04-2010, 10:35 PM
@Otaking97 : Shame. Your anime (I think all that is anime, didn't spot anything else) collection is staggering. I thought I had a large game collection by myself, but it pales in comparison!

@MDA : We might run into each other on one of those days. I'll likely be easy to spot as Megamind with a camera :D

MDA
12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
@MDA : We might run into each other on one of those days. I'll likely be easy to spot as Megamind with a camera :D

If I run into you when you're in Megamind, I so need a picture. As I sat watching the movie I was thinking "I guarantee, people are going to cosplay this...".

Kildread
12-05-2010, 12:44 AM
If I run into you when you're in Megamind, I so need a picture. As I sat watching the movie I was thinking "I guarantee, people are going to cosplay this...".

You were right :)

Honestly, it's one of the greatest movies I've seen lately --- the jokes, the setting, the kind of silly story with serious undertones. I really liked it in french, and I can't wait to have it in HD so I can watch it in original english (I've already seen most of it in english on a crappy cam download for the reference shots of the dehydrator gun for the commissioner, but I'm still buying the blu-ray as soon as it's out).

I've also went to see Tangled not expecting to really like it, was pleasantly surprised --- it was awesome!

Then I went to see Faster --- it was boring.

loki555
12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I will never ever miss Otakuthon since i live in montreal :P

ChiisaiYume
12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I am definitely aiming to go to Otakuthon for 2011 =) I keep hearing great things about it. Now that I've crossed Fan Expo off my con list, I don't really have an excuse not to go, lol.

Not sure of my plans cosplay-wise. So I'll update once I've picked something 8D

jusdepomme
12-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Yay! Can't wait to see all of you there! :D

MDA
12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I am definitely aiming to go to Otakuthon for 2011 =) I keep hearing great things about it. Now that I've crossed Fan Expo off my con list, I don't really have an excuse not to go, lol.

Not sure of my plans cosplay-wise. So I'll update once I've picked something 8D

Otakuthon is really worth it~! It's so much fun, the volunteers/staff are actually helpful (compared to some cons), the events are great (I've only been to the cosplay chess, and a couple others, but nonetheless awesome).

Location is so epic if you want amazing shots (be it cosplay, or in general). The PDC is right in Old Montréal, so you have the harbour nearby, Notre Dame, Chinatown... it's to die for! And you don't hear planes going over your head like you do at AN xD It's worth looking into the location ahead of time so that you can see all the surrounding area.

Kaijugal
12-09-2010, 04:54 AM
:) I do. (Not really a suprise I suppose). XD

Mokmo
12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
:) I do. (Not really a suprise I suppose). XD

Your absence was noticed this year, that's for sure...

Kildread
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
@Kaijugal : Seeing how awesome your gallery is, will you be in costume?

MagiFox
12-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I live just about an hour away from Montreal (I commute downtown by train every day to go to Concordia for my studies), so it's definately no problem for me to attend Otakuthon unless something has been planned a few months in advance (i.e. family gatherings and such). Most of my friends who come to Anime North also come to Otakuthon, along with the ones who couldn't make it to AN.

I usually stay at a friend's place half an hour away from the con, so it's pretty handy not to spend more money on a hotel room. (Although she has 4 cats and they leave big messes and the occasional 'bombs' around her house most of the time. Ick. And she was a little high strung about house rules this year, especially coming back home late from the con or she would leave back home early with her boyfriend and not confirming dinner plans with our group. WASN'T IMPRESSED either when she decided to text our group last minute, complaining that she was sick of Chinese food and had decided to eat at home. Then she ended her text with 'LOL'. D:< How is that even funny in the slightest?)

I'm going to have to look into that little detail next year, if she doesn't change her approach with house guests, tidying up her house a little bit more before people show up and confirming meet-up times. I might save up for a hotel room just in case or I might even stay with another friend just 15 mins away from Friend A and just be picked up by my BFF instead.

Hopefully this (coming) year, if things hold out budgetwise, I'll be cosplaying Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist). Gonna see if I can make the automail arm out of aluminum sheeting (I saw an Ed cosplayed who did an amazing job with constructing his automail and I literally geeked out like Winry would if she saw automail. XD) or some other metalic material, perhaps even wonderflex if I really save up.

A friend of mine is planning to do a Roy Mustang cosplay too, so if things work out, there's should be some fun photos in the future (especially the fire fountain)! :D

trixyloupwolf
12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
hey huge pokemon group on sunday ^^
join us^^
yet were 158 cosplayer in the group^^

haha
and ya ya gues ill be there too ^^
my pokemon gijinka will be tentacruel ^^

hope to get more people in the maddness ^^
see ya soon

Kildread
12-13-2010, 07:42 PM
@MagiFox : I'm partly of the opinion that if the person is simply offering you a place to crash at (Without getting anything in return), they don't really have to adapt their life for your stay over. At least that's what I do when I stay over at a friends' or family's palce for an event they do not participate in. I'd suggest going for the hotel room, if you're a few for it, it will come with less hassle with it (For a cost, lessened if you split room costs as a group)

I'm lucky enough to have a sister who lives in montreal, so I can take a bus from my home, to Québec, then another bus to Montréal itself and stay at her place for the weekend. She does make costumes for LARP, and I've given the idea for her to come with me for a day, dunno if she will.

@trixyloupwolf : The only pokemon I'd ever cosplay is jigglypuff. Though it's not in my plans as of right now. It's kind of a silly idea and making a sphere around a six feet guy implies it has 6 feet of circumference, not a great idea! :P

WARPAINTandUnicorns
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Cosplays or going to it is TBA, but since I have a half finish Jack from Pandora Hearts and a half finished Clown Crown Allen Walker (gen. 2) I'm more than likely going to finish one of those for Otakuthon.

Or go out of nowhere and do a Star Driver Takuto Galactic Pretty Boy or P&SwGB Stocking cosplay. So completely opposite ... I know.

Chibi Lenne
12-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Now that I've crossed Fan Expo off my con list, I don't really have an excuse not to go, lol.

I think there may be a lot of FanX people doing this one instead =D I for one am also one of them

VicViper_Mk2
12-16-2010, 04:59 PM
first time going this year, pretty fun overall but due to some confusion I wasn't able to see the masquerade (don't let anyone else enter after all the seats are full) so I'm going back next year and make it up.

VickyBunnyAngel
12-16-2010, 05:07 PM
first time going this year, pretty fun overall but due to some confusion I wasn't able to see the masquerade (don't let anyone else enter after all the seats are full) so I'm going back next year and make it up.

Unfortunate that that happened to you as well! Even if you left to go to the washroom they wouldn't let you back in. They said letting latecomers in made it unfair for those who had lined up earlier to get in.

I had noted that on the Otakuthon forums when I gave a con review, and hopefully they'll look into solving that issue (i.e. doing wristbands) since I think their main fear was going over capacity.

Kildread
12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Approximatly, how early should one be to attend the masquarade? (As audience, not performer)

Geb_Geb
12-19-2010, 11:58 PM
well i'm going! just absolutely don't know which costume to do sniff

VickyBunnyAngel
12-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Approximatly, how early should one be to attend the masquarade? (As audience, not performer)

I think the line started atleast an hour before the event. It depends how badly you want to sit close to the front I guess. The more eager other con goers are, the earlier you have to be =P

WARPAINTandUnicorns
12-21-2010, 04:25 PM
You have over month after AN to get a costume ready Geb_Geb. ^_^ I'm not planning nothing foor it just yet since that would distract me from the costumes that need to be made for AN.

MDA
12-23-2010, 09:45 PM
My one advantage for Otakuthon is that one of the costumes I want to wear to Otakuthon I'm making for Anime North. The other that's figured out... well, all I have left for it is to buy a long red wig for Yoko (nurse outfit...). I haven't figured out the third cosplay should be. Roxas? Agito/Akito? Rider again? Neuro again? Vexen? Geisha Nia (might debut at Con-G)? I really have no clue. It'll likely be a guy, since I want to have at least one crossplay for Otakuthon.

Rock nam Lee
01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Hmm, I got talked into a hotel room offer so I may be attending Otakuthon after all~ Sandwiched right between Otakon and Fan ex no less hehe.

It'll be my first year to Otakuthon on top of that, and its been about 11 years since I've actually been to Quebec... Je dois practiser mon francais plus.

WARPAINTandUnicorns
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
The only time I was in Quebec was 14 years ago I think. Most of us gone on a trip to Quebec City in grade 8 around here. lol

xshedevilx
01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I should maybe check out the Masq. this year, but with our Hotel having a Pool we avoid dinner and any after hours events just to enjoy a swim. Haha. But I'll be going again this year most definitely.
I LOVED it last year and the lovely bonus was that my French kicked in enough to get me by, but most people speak some English so that isn't an issue.
As for wearing I'll likely bring Talho Yuuki (Eureka 7) but as for others I'm unsure as Morrigan's wings are too delicate for the bus ride and Nico Robin is on my meh list.

Moon Melody
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm going ~
I will be euuuh... Don't know yet for friday and saturday ( probably Max from Beyblade for the last ) and sunday, I will be Ranka Lee and Shikijika Gijinka for the epic pokemon group :)

trixyloupwolf
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
nya!! me too iam going(duh ^^)

i cannot wait to see you all ^^ yeah!!

ps: pokemon cosplay day on sunday(in case no one saw this pub yet we are 168 pokemon cosplayer and a couple trainer yeah gonna be fun )

also i will take a room^^ cause i live a biot too far to go and return ^^::
the official hotel is no more holiday inn(just as information nya^^)

i also will see ya at animenorth yeah!!

The Admiral
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
me! (i'm from R-D-Hell) i loved last year event; going again is a must.

Kimmy
01-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I've been going since it first started up, and I don't plan on missing it any time soon! I'm not sure what I'll be cosplaying yet though.

Shouri no Hana
01-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally I wasn't going to go, but I friend asked me to help complete her group.

If all goes well I'll be Kain Highwind (FFIV) one day, then the others... depends I guess... haven't really planned much.

VickyBunnyAngel
01-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Hmm, I got talked into a hotel room offer so I may be attending Otakuthon after all~ Sandwiched right between Otakon and Fan ex no less hehe.

It'll be my first year to Otakuthon on top of that, and its been about 11 years since I've actually been to Quebec... Je dois practiser mon francais plus.

May be?? no you're totally going >:D

@Trixy, I'm looking forward to the gigantic pokemon group!!

trixyloupwolf
01-16-2011, 03:22 AM
vicky will you do one too ^^
would be fun to take picture toguetter nya^^

^o^

also do not misss yurika cart (mario kart in real life dough no real kart ^^)
it be awsome nya^^

see ya real soon^^

VickyBunnyAngel
01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
noo, I don't think I will be able to I'm sorry :(. Not sure if I have the time to make one more costume for Otakuthon.