PDA

View Full Version : New Year 2010

kiratsukai
12-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Not really cosplay related, but since so many of us will be in the area for Comiket ~

Two possible plans for New Year's if people are keen:

Zojoji Temple Countdown and Balloon Release - http://www.zojoji.or.jp/event/ev_countdown.html

Yokohama Chinatown's Countdown Celebration - food vendors through the night, traditional dancing and music under paper lanterns from 11:30pm on.

The crowd at the first event will probably be a bit overwhelming after Comiket so I'm leaning toward the 2nd. There is a convenient TGI Fridays in Yokohama with a smashing Happy Hour if we can get out there early enough and the boardwalk is lovely at night. Chinatown is a pleasant, scenery-filled walk from Yokohama station (it's 2 stations futher down the line) :)

But the first event does look pretty epic. If people want to hit one over the other, I'll go with popular opinion.

elisiss
12-03-2010, 07:43 AM
チャイナタウンで年越しですか
むか~し、おいらもそんなことしてましたねぇ
当時はサークルのみんなとワイワイとテーブルを回したものですw

今年のおいらは、アニソン紅白を見てるはずです
懐かしい面々がゾロゾロと!
これは見なくちゃ損ってことで、コミケが終われば車を置いて
アニソン紅白会場へ向かう予定

大晦日の予定はこんな感じで~す^^

mixaka
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Both of those seem like they'd be fun. But I can't see there being that much less of a crowd in Yokohama. It will be crowded pretty much anywhere that has an event going. The temples do get really crazy on New Years though. A lot of standing and waiting in line to get to the place where you can heave your money onto giant traps in place of the usually coin collection boxes. Should be festivals stalls step up in the area too.

I've entered a lottery to attend a Countdown Concert, but if I don't win a ticket (which is very likely to happen) I'd be game for hanging out and going wherever!

kiratsukai
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
The former event is at the foot of Tokyo Tower and involves a lineup from 8 o clock to get paper and a balloon to write your wishes on and send them into the sky at midnight. From the photos, it looks pretty hairy.

The Chinatown event looks a good deal less crowded from the photos. Elisiss has been there before, he can let us know how crowded it was ^^

CelestialShadow
12-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I say china town, beer, food, candy, probably some stellar chinese fireworks and what not.

Jaseroque
12-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Aww, you lot are all bums, I'm going to be in Osaka.

kiratsukai
12-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Aww, you lot are all bums, I'm going to be in Osaka.

sheik and I will be in Osaka on 25-26 if you'll be there that early.

Jaseroque
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM
sheik and I will be in Osaka on 25-26 if you'll be there that early.

Yes, yes I will be. You'll be there for Yorustar I suppose? I should try to organize to go, though I don't know where I could sleep that night. =_=

Masonkun
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Hey everyone how bout we go to meiji jingu mai. I knw last year there was the line to pray for the new years. If anyone is even into that. I love the shrine though

Tsumanne
12-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm typically happy anywhere so I'll just tag along to whatever is decided.
The only input I have is,
Option 1: I've done volunteer work at Zojo-ji for other events and was told that the New Year's celebration is very enjoyable but very crowded so you should arrive by the suggested time.
Option 2: Been to Chinese New Year in Yokohama China Town before and enjoyed it. Although crowded it wasn't too bad since you have all of China Town to wander around in.

CelestialShadow
12-11-2010, 11:19 PM
oh yeah i totally for got to mention that Asakusa is a hop skip away from me and they always have a big new years shindig. I usually go there for new years because the food booths are awesome and there are many around the temple. Plus if we stay out late we can take a taxi back for cheap.

shortsheik
12-13-2010, 04:58 AM
I vote for the less crowded option. I'm sure I'll be getting my fill of crowds at Comiket!

CelestialShadow
12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
asakusa is a good place, as long as your not going to the temple to pray you can avoid the cluster of people going there and just bypass straight to the food area! The food area is never that busy since most people go there to throw their money to the temple and then usually go home or do other things. Plus Haneyashiki theme park is really close too, if we get bored we can go ride the oldest roller coaster in japan and pee our pants worrying about it breaking on us lol.

mixaka
12-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Gonna have to bow out of the New Years plans. I managed to win a ticket to the Countdown Concert I wanted to attend! Not sure what I'm gonna do about staying the night. I'll probably end up staying at a hotel the night of the 31st as I don't want to come stumbling back to an empty apartment that I can't get into or coming back too late and disturbing everyone. So it looks like I'll be cutting my stay short!