PDA

View Full Version : Review: Coastal Scents 88 colors eyeshadow palette

cachalot
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Name of Product: 88 Piece Makeup Palette

Where Purchased: Coastal Scents
http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/1677_122/88-piece-makeup-palette.cfm

Product Description: This is a flat case filled with, as the description says, 88 different colors of eyeshadows. Coastal Scents makes many different types of multi-color palettes (including shimmer, metallic, etc) but this one is their basic one with "standard" colors ranging from white to black through the colors of the rainbow. Since there are 88 of them to fit in a case about the size of a book, the eyeshadows are small, about the size of a dime. The plastic, hinged case comes packed in a box and includes a couple of sponge brush applicators.

Pros: Even though the shadows are really small, they are super super intensely pigmented. I bought this because I thought they would be useful for cosplay, and are they ever. Because you don't to use much product to get a really rich color, I can see this palette lasting a very long time. There are a lot of "fun" colors suitable for dramatic character makeup, such as greens and pinks, but the white, browns, and grey shadows work really well for normal everyday wear as well. I especially like having this kit around when I have to color my eyebrows to match an wig. The price is also a steal for how much you get.

Again, since the pigment is so rich in these, a little goes a long way. They wear very well and I've never had a problem with them melting or rubbing off even in hot weather with long wear (I wore these at Otakon in the summer)

Cons: There aren't very many cons that I can think of. These are standard colors that don't have any shine or shimmer to them, so they don't include many metallic colors. Coastal Scents does make another palette that has metallic versions of these colors. I haven't had any problems with the plastic case or the adhesion of the eyeshadows, though some reviews I read state that the eyeshadows sometimes fall out of the case and have to be reglued. I assume that would be easy enough with some hot glue.

Overall Rating: 0-10 (0 is poor, 10 is excellent): I have to rate this 10/10 - you get a great quality product for less than $20

Note: Coastal Scents is based in the USA but they ship internationally to pretty much everywhere, and all the reviews on the site from international customers say that their shipping is really really fast ^_^

krys-chan
12-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Edit: Bought the pallette!

Name of Product: 88 Piece Makeup Palette

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebst...up-palette.cfm

Product Description: Black flat cased palette. 88 Different colors. A mirror and 2 of the sponges on sticks with a sponge on bottom and top totaling 4. There is plastic over the makeup to keep it from getting all over the mirror.

Pros: 88 colors both matte and shimmer. A little goes a long way with this palette.

Cons: I can't really think of any cons...

Overall Rating: 0-10 (0 is poor, 10 is excellent): 10- I wont have to buy a new palette for a long time~

Keebablue
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I also have this pallett and the warm 88, and my only complaint is hpw easy they break. My husband dropped mine and its pretty much dead. Same with the contour pallette

kayandhearts
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
just a little tip, coastal scents and many other companies order these palettes from a company in hong kong, and then overprice them. pretty much any 88 palette is the same, look around on ebay and you'll find the same one for a much lower price!

Stormraven24
06-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I have this palette now too!

Name of Product: 88 original colors eyeshadow palette

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebst...up-palette.cfm

Product Description: (copying from krys-chan since she nailed it) Black flat cased palette. 88 Different colors. A mirror and 2 of the sponges on sticks with a sponge on bottom and top totaling 4. There is plastic over the makeup to keep it from getting all over the mirror.

Pros: A variety of shades, nicely pigmented, nice scent (lulz). I've only used two colors so far (layered two of the blues to get a deeper feel, if that makes sense), and they blended nicely. The colors are only about the size of a dime, but they will last a good while. Also, it arrived completely unbroken wrapped very thoroughly in bubble wrap and newspaper. Very thoughtful of the company to do that since it shows they care about the condition the palette arrives in for the customer.

Cons: Even with a primer, the shadow did fade on one eye (weird, right?). It may be because I applied with a brush rather than the applicators it came with, but that really shouldn't make that much of a difference. I wish it would have stuck a bit longer than the six or so hours I wore it.

Overall Rating: I'd give it an 8 right now. I've only used two colorsso far, so my experience is limited, but right now I am a tiny bit disappointed that one eye rubbed off for some odd reason. Hopefully that won't happen again.

Alois
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
This is amazing!!!
But the size is too large................