PDA

View Full Version : Should i cosplay this guy?

Jack_Crowley
12-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I've been thinking, and i think Ezio Auditore would be a good costume to do. The only problem is the tiny metalwork, the hidden blades, and the leather parts. I can pull off the cloak and the boots, but the rest will be a problem. also, i need some help finding which material would be good to work with for a first-timer.

Origin
12-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Ezio/Altair is an incredible costume to do. Unfortunately not many put a lot of work into it (which makes a longtime fan of AC sad =( ).

Metalwork-
For the metal work I would recommend NOT doing it. Metal is a very difficult material to work with, weighs down a costume and is really impractical. Instead, use molds and plastic resin or plastic that can be worked with when hot (like Wonderflex.). Particularly the Assassin's Symbol on his belt, if it were metal I would wager it would weigh a good ten or fifteen pounds, so plastic will cut down the weight drastically!

Hidden Blades-
Since Ezio has his retractable blades, I would reccomend the same thing as before, using a heated plastic and creating the blades. As for the actual 'retractable'-ness, I have no idea, unfortunately I've never done anything like that =(

Leather-
Leather is expensive and difficult to work with, but it does end up being beautiful if worked correctly. If you have the budget for it, I'd go for it, but if not see if you can pick up some upholstery leather or at the next best, pleather. But in order to work with leather you need speciality equipment which can be expensive also. If pleather is in your future, I would recommend either white or the correct shade of brown, because I'm sure you can age it if need be.

Material-
I would go for a cotton-polyester blend honestly. Of course this is where accuracy/time accuracy conflicts. His undershirt is the silky sort a nobleman (like himself) would have worn in Italy, but his tunic is thicker and rougher. So for the undershirt, lean towards a silky, thin and 'floaty' sort of material (not silk though. It's expensive and only for an expert seamster/ress) and the outside should be thicker, rougher and sturdy. As for the little details on the tunic those could be painted on in a silver-white shade using stencils.

gambit86
12-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Leather is actually easy to work with, once you get a base idea of what your doing. It IS expensive however, but I recommend it to anyone who has never worked with it before. You can produce some amazing results and you may even find a new hobby along the way.

Origin
12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Leather is actually easy to work with, once you get a base idea of what your doing. It IS expensive however, but I recommend it to anyone who has never worked with it before. You can produce some amazing results and you may even find a new hobby along the way.

Really? I always found it difficult >.< But thats probably just me huh?

gambit86
12-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Daunting is the word I would use. Metal working is difficult.

Leatherworking can be daunting if you just try to jump in and build everything at once (tried that, failed horribly, eased myself in, worked out ok) once you find a good rythm and method to the madness it just becomes more a matter of perfecting it. Patterns are always a must as it lets you waste less leather, and then you play around with the tooling to find a system and a way you like.

Not everyone likes the swivel knife (well, maybe everyone does, just me) so you learn different styles then come up with your own.

Its just something to ease into is all.