PDA

View Full Version : Can i get a little advice/tips please? :3

Breezie
12-13-2010, 09:13 PM
so i'm working on cosplaying as sylvanas the banshee queen of world of warcraft. http://www.wowction.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Queen-Sylvanas-Windrunner.jpg so far my experience with making cosplays limits to well one wig i cut and styled. =_='' this cosplay...well..im making the whole thing. i have ideas for a lot of the different pieces. just not sure what exact types of materials to use.

for the shoulders gauntlets and leg armor i was going to use a type of foam, something that is durable and can hold through lots of friction. thing is it also has to be able to bend to the curved shape but stay in that form (i was thinking of using thin strips of curved plastic to keep the form).

but when it comes to the boots i am lost. i want them to be detailed like in the picture. just painting the designs on might look cheesy. also not sure if i could find boots that go that high O.o so i was going to find something, probably a fake leather to extend the boots. but i would like to keep that thick armor look to it.

any suggestions about how i should go about this and what materials i should use?

dbchan
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Sylvanas' outfit is very similar to Alexstrazsa. Maryssa did her alexstrasza out of craft foam and wonderflex! You should send her a PM.

Etrina
12-14-2010, 11:10 PM
You can definitely get over the knee or thigh high boots that are that tall.

Merodi
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Rose-Womens-Furge02-Boot/dp/B002RCS6LY/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_8

Something like this maybe? I dunno. It's not hard to find though.

Breezie
12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
awesome thanks guys. still not so sure how to make the boots like the ones in the link though. maybe use clay to boarder around them...not sure how that would look though

Nozze
12-16-2010, 02:56 AM
You could make bootcovers and then use leather trim for the parts you're talking about. That or craft foam (or whatever it is that Maryssa uses, the tubing?) would be way better than clay. Please don't use clay :P

dbchan
12-16-2010, 10:07 PM
i agree, you probably shouldn't use clay. I have to imagine it would weigh down parts of the costume.

Breezie
12-17-2010, 02:58 AM
see thats what i was thinking, but i'm not sure what i would use. i want that 3d look to it

dbchan
12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
see thats what i was thinking, but i'm not sure what i would use. i want that 3d look to it

I think there a lighter weight materials you could use. The first option is layering craft foam to give it height and dimension. if you're worried about durability, you could use wonderflex over craft foam to reinforce it.

EcstasyEcho
12-17-2010, 11:26 PM
problem:
does anyone know what said lightweight material is?? i'm making the same cosplay and no one seems to know what materials are (heard of wonderflex. so out of my price range).

i've been experimenting with paperclay. it's seriously not bad. thoughts?

catfetus
12-18-2010, 01:20 AM
problem:
does anyone know what said lightweight material is?? i'm making the same cosplay and no one seems to know what materials are (heard of wonderflex. so out of my price range).

i've been experimenting with paperclay. it's seriously not bad. thoughts?
One big problem with using paperclay for this costume is that it won't flex (it will just crack if bent) and it is also heavier than foam.
Craft foam is a good substitute (it is sold in sheets, sometimes called Fun Foam, at craft stores) if you don't have access to Wonderflex, it can do almost all the exact same things but just isn't as sturdy or perhaps not as easy to mold (I haven't used Wonderflex before) and it is a lot cheaper.

Paperclay could be good for parts like the shoulder armor that you don't have to worry about moving or flexing. I really like Orangemoose's step-by-step styrofoam+paperclay shoulder making description, I think if I were to make shoulders I would try something similar:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/248742/

I also second dbchan's comment about layering craft foam to create depth. If you want more detailed depth (like slanted edges on your protruding parts rather than just straight up protrusions, if that makes any sense) you could try heating and molding your foam to create that effect before putting it on instead of just attaching it as a flat surface like it comes. (Sorry, it is hard for me to describe :( But craft foam is very versatile and with practice can make good shapes)
A lot of people also use hot glue or any sort of glue to draw in the protruding designs (for example, the little swirly designs on the tops of her boot linings could be done well this way).

EcstasyEcho
12-18-2010, 11:53 AM
thank you :D

this is my first cosplay as well so i don't entirely know what i'm doing and paperclay was a suggestion from a friend. i haven't even started on the shoulders yet cause that's going to be the most challenging part. fun, fun. what size craft foam would be good?

i've heard of the hot glue thing and was considering doing that for the thinner designs since hot glue is easy to get ahold (i have a ton of it already).

EcstasyEcho
12-18-2010, 11:57 AM
oh and one more thing. how hard is it to paint craft foam?
i'm sure there's tutorials about this somewhere...

Reformed Tomboy
12-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Painting craft foam is super easy, but you have to seal it first because it porous. I picked up a giant bottle of "Sealer" (that's what it's literally called on the bottle) at Michaels, it's an all-purpose sealer, but other people use other types that work just as well. A couple of coats should do, and then just paint on top of that.

Breezie
12-18-2010, 05:37 PM
oh and one more thing. how hard is it to paint craft foam?
i'm sure there's tutorials about this somewhere...

geso is wonderful!! it seals the foam and it wont melt when painting :D

Breezie
12-18-2010, 05:39 PM
I think there a lighter weight materials you could use. The first option is layering craft foam to give it height and dimension. if you're worried about durability, you could use wonderflex over craft foam to reinforce it.

yea i think paperclay would be good if i cant get craft foam to work. (i feel like a noob) i know for a fact though that i will have to use something else for the boots and gauntlets

thank you :3

Maryssa
12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Oh hi sorry, I've been busyyyyy. Umm yeah I used craft foam for all of my armor, even the edging details. The trick is to seal it with something to make the paint not sink in; I used elmers glue.
You can very easily find tall boots, they are very in style right now. There are tons on ebay.

I will offer a word of caution though, that I don't believe this is a good "beginner" costume since all the pieces can get very frustrating to create correctly. But hey go for it if you think you can!

EcstasyEcho
12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh hi sorry, I've been busyyyyy. Umm yeah I used craft foam for all of my armor, even the edging details. The trick is to seal it with something to make the paint not sink in; I used elmers glue.
You can very easily find tall boots, they are very in style right now. There are tons on ebay.

I will offer a word of caution though, that I don't believe this is a good "beginner" costume since all the pieces can get very frustrating to create correctly. But hey go for it if you think you can!

haha yeah it's probably not a great beginner costume. personally, i chose this as my first cosplay because there isn't as much sewing XD and sylvanas is my favorite character from wow. i don't know about breezie, but i've actually had success (or i think so, at least haha) with making the leg armor, like the parts on her calf and thighs, from amethyst angel's craft foam and styrene method. problem is, i'm totally stuck on how to do the edge details >.<

any advice on how to get it to be the correct shape? like, since the detailing appears to be at an angle and not just flat on top. and then how to get it to stay that shape when putting it on the armor? like the parts of the armor that curve. and i'm so bad at describing sorry D: and i was considering using the craft foam for the belt thing too.

dbchan
12-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I like to use gesso. I got a giant tub of it and it lasts forever. I've also heard of using school glue.

For raised designs, i like to use 3d fabric paint. Comes in little bottles and has a thin spout. You can do multiple layers of it to make it taller. though I do advise practicing with it first on some paper so you learn how much pressure you need to get an even line and get a feel for your designs. That's how I did the designs on Auriaya's boots, though they're hard to see because they are the same color as the boots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/dbchan/Birth%20of%20a%20Titan/calfplates.jpg

Maryssa
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
To get it to be the right shape I just made a zillion patterns with trial and error until I got the hang of how to make the curves behave certain ways.

EcstasyEcho
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
To get it to be the right shape I just made a zillion patterns with trial and error until I got the hang of how to make the curves behave certain ways.

awesome, i must be on the right track since i started doing that and messing around XD
did you use heat to help the craft foam keep the correct shape?

if it helps, i've been referencing this version of maryssa's alexstrasza cosplay:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2749125/
my goal is to get as close as possible to that look for the borders, because hers are perfect.

suggestions are always appreciated. thanks guys :3