PDA

View Full Version : attaching pikachu's tail help

kogaluver15
12-15-2010, 12:58 PM
hi everyone. I just finished making a whole different tail for my pikachu cosplay. The last one i made was made out of cardboard and i pinned the whole thing along with a belt in order to keep it up. Blah, well eventually the pins really wore the fabric out and the cardboard creased. My new tail is now light-weight and made out of styrofoam and covered with fabric. Its a lot bigger than my other one too. The problem is, I have no idea how to attach it without harming the tail in anyway. I want it to stick out as if it was attached to my back. I don't want it flat on my back but Sticking out. Any ideas? :3:angel:

catfetus
12-18-2010, 11:00 AM
It might take some playing around with, but I think the idea of attaching it to a belt again will work. Ideally if you can get a belt that is as thick as the tail's attachment point that would be nice so it won't want to flop around as much. The simplest way would be to rely on the tail's natural rest against your body and tightness of the belt to hold it on/up.
As far as the physical attachment goes, depending on how sturdily your cloth is stuck to your foam (hot glue should hold it on there very nicely) you should probably sew the cloth layer down to the belt.

You could also add small block pieces (made out of craft foam, styrofoam, something like that) on both sides of the tail to help hold it in place. They don't have to be very big and you can cover them to be the color or the belt or your tail to make them blend in, but if you use the method where the tail is being held against your body by force alone then it will really help.
I did a crappy quick MS paint for you because I feel like I am not describing it well :( This is looking down at the tail and belt from the top:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/shivanikatt/delet.jpg

kogaluver15
01-21-2012, 12:40 AM
I haven't logged in, in a while but thank you very much for some advice :D