PDA

View Full Version : What stores sell petticoats?

GlobalistPotato
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, or if I should be making a spin-off of my earlier topic. Or even if my outfit can be called "cosplay". IDK.
The details on the outfit can be found here. (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=227821)
My question is: Where can I find stores that sell petticoats for decent prices?
I'm currently looking at several vintage stores across Austin and a couple of costume stores.
I've also heard some people recommend bridal stores and dance suppliers. But I don't know if bridal stores have the type of petticoat I'm looking for. If a dance store has stuff for square dancing, then I'm set. Plus, I think the clerks of a vintage or costume store would be more understanding of what I'm doing than someone at a bridal store.
Oh, and then there's antique stores!

Shifty Llama
12-15-2010, 09:48 PM
kay what you are looking for isnt really a petticoat (petticoats are just underskirts and you would need multiples to create volume)

What you need is a crinoline if you cant find them they are easy to make just gather some fabric netting but i have seen that sort of thing at a lot of costume stores and they arent that expensive. good luck

adolf
12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Many online Lolita stores sell petticoats. Here's the EGL Petticoat archive (http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=egl&keyword=Petticoat/Reviews&filter=all) w/ reviews of various brands that you can look at and see which ones you like the most or fit into your budget. : )

Also, I think this should be moved to General Construction Help or something of the sort rather than Cosplay Suggestions. This forum is for giving people ideas of who they could cosplay.

GlobalistPotato
12-15-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not making petticoats. I don't have the time nor the equipment.
And I don't want to get petticoats from online, mainly because they're too expensive for what you get. I'm more likely to find a better deal at a store. Also, the petticoats I'm looking for are more '50s style than lolita, even though the two are very similar. It's just that many lolia petticoats I've seen don't have the shape I want or are shorter than what I'm looking for.
Oh, and yeah, this should be moved to that other forum.

adolf
12-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I did some google-work and found this website. They sell 50s reproduction dresses and also offer petticoats (http://www.vivienofholloway.com/en/category/Petticoats/), but they're based in London and it's pretty pricey (59).

I'm not too familiar with 50s fashion but you could try exploring some vintage or costume shops in your area as well. : )

stardust760
12-16-2010, 02:08 AM
it depends on the length if its a short one you can get them at hottopic. if you want a long floor length petticoat then check out local stores that specialize in prom dresses, wedding dresses ect, they defined should have them. just be warned they can get hott. i wore one with my prom dress :) lol

GlobalistPotato
12-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Oh yeah, Vivien of Holloway. Good place. Too expensive for me (59 pounds equals 92 dollars!). And their petticoats are made out of chiffon, but the fabric I wanted is organza. Still, chiffon petticoats aren't starchy, which might make them useful as an inner layer around an stiffer petticoat.
But I can get those for WAY less at a vintage store.

Also, the length of the petticoat is around knee-length.