PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Buildings

OGIGA
12-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Just wondering, does anybody have experience with cosplaying or shooting at an abandoned warehouse (or building or worksite)? I'm trying to find such a location and want to make sure nobody gets in trouble for being there.

By the way, if anybody know any specific locations in Northern California, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

LoneHowler
12-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Trespassing is trespassing, and dangerous. Allot of these buildings have been abandoned a while and may have structural problems.
There may be historic sites you might take advantage of, find out what places may have tours and might allow for private photo shoots if a guide attends. Some factories will have guided tours as well. Poke around and see whats available you might come up with a awesome public park or something that has ruins that can be used as backdrops

OGIGA
12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
I just remembered that I was at an abandoned military site last year and that would be quite awesome too. Lots of tourists go check it out, but some of the buildings are really unstable and actually do kind of scare me because of safety. If anyone cares to know, it's near the lighthouse at Sausalito, CA. :)

Darkdreamyr
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I just remembered that I was at an abandoned military site last year and that would be quite awesome too. Lots of tourists go check it out, but some of the buildings are really unstable and actually do kind of scare me because of safety. If anyone cares to know, it's near the lighthouse at Sausalito, CA. :)

There's alot of those sites all over Marin. That one there sounds like Battery Yates at Fort Baker. As they're all part of the park system now, and the dangerous parts are filled in or barred off as long as you don't be stupid and try to break in you'll be fine shooting there.

OGIGA
01-03-2011, 12:27 AM
I just looked on Google and that's not where I went, but those are awesome buildings! :) Would you mind sharing some more of these locations?

edit: Actually, I think it is, but the photo from the first search result (http://www.militarymuseum.org/BtyYates.html) is something more awesome. I want to find that now. haha

Flora88
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
WARNING!!!
Breaking into abandoned buildings is not merely trespassing, it's BURGLARY. Yes, that's right, it's classified as burglary, a FEDERAL OFFENSE that can put your ass in jail if you're caught. Why "burglary?" I have no idea. Even if you don't touch anything in the house, and even if only one of your body parts enters the house, it's STILL classified as burglary (a cop told me this VERY thing) and, yes, the authorities can and will arrest you for it.
I was almost arrested for this very thing (exploring, not cosplay,) but, fortunately, the man who owned the building wasn't home when the police called him.
I really, really, really, really, really, reccommend finding other locations or checking with the owners of the buildings before barging into an abandoned building and possibly getting yourself arrested.

Just fyi, everyone.

Buckshot Billie
01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Most of the time, it is indeed considered trespassing to enter an abandoned building (guilty as charged...), though here are some sites that are owned by individual people. Some even have caretakers that live somewhere near or right on the premises. One could always do some research and ask permission of the owners/caretakers. Abandoned buildings are unique and beautiful settings for photographs, so it can't hurt to try!

(The specific site I had in mind, though far-the-hell-away from California, is Waverly Hills Sanitorium. It's owned by a couple who are happy to allow photographers access to the building, so long as they make an appointment beforehand. Maybe I'm way too optimistic.)

shortlilninja
01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Most of the time, it is indeed considered trespassing to enter an abandoned building (guilty as charged...), though here are some sites that are owned by individual people. Some even have caretakers that live somewhere near or right on the premises. One could always do some research and ask permission of the owners/caretakers. Abandoned buildings are unique and beautiful settings for photographs, so it can't hurt to try!

(The specific site I had in mind, though far-the-hell-away from California, is Waverly Hills Sanitorium. It's owned by a couple who are happy to allow photographers access to the building, so long as they make an appointment beforehand. Maybe I'm way too optimistic.)

holy crap I want to go there to it has such sad history but it is such a eerie beauty, the site has had so many people go there and take photos and movies.

Xirucem
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
holy crap I want to go there to it has such sad history but it is such a eerie beauty, the site has had so many people go there and take photos and movies.

I actually have been there before! I don't live farther than about an hour away ^^; It's really an incredible place D8 Horrifying but at the same time you just have to wander around with morbid curiosity, you know? It was really, really cool.

shortlilninja
01-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I actually have been there before! I don't live farther than about an hour away ^^; It's really an incredible place D8 Horrifying but at the same time you just have to wander around with morbid curiosity, you know? It was really, really cool.

That is awesome I seen a couple documentaries of the place and I just want to go there you know. the other awesome place I would go to is The Winchester Mystery house.

Buckshot Billie
01-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Waverly Hills is my DREAM LOCATION for a photoshoot. Unfortunately, it would be a giant debacle getting to Louisville, KY, as both my residences are far-the-heck away.

But, hey, at least I can take solace in the fact that the property is owned by people who give a tin crap and would never allow it to be bulldozed to make way for an apartment complex or strip mall.

shortlilninja
01-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Waverly Hills is my DREAM LOCATION for a photoshoot. Unfortunately, it would be a giant debacle getting to Louisville, KY, as both my residences are far-the-heck away.

But, hey, at least I can take solace in the fact that the property is owned by people who give a tin crap and would never allow it to be bulldozed to make way for an apartment complex or strip mall.

I don't think they would ever allow that I mean at one time that place took in hundreds of tuberculosis patients, I even think its on the U.S. building preservation list.(may be wrong)

I also know how you feel I want to visit it but trying to find a ride from California to Louisville,KY will never happen.:(

Buckshot Billie
01-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't think they would ever allow that I mean at one time that place took in hundreds of tuberculosis patients, I even think its on the U.S. building preservation list.(may be wrong)

I also know how you feel I want to visit it but trying to find a ride from California to Louisville,KY will never happen.:(

I think, eventually, a trip to Waverly Hills will be in order. It might be awhile, but I can't let such a stunning location get by me.

Liiansa
01-27-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't know about Northern CA, but there's an area in Southern CA you might be able to get to with permission. The CSUCI campus is the old Camarillo hospital, some creepy looking rooms there, some are still not renovated. I know the nearby well was used in The Ring, and there have been some television shows filmed there, so they should be cool with some photos if you get permission. There's also the "scary dairy" portion just off campus if you want a severely tagged building, but do NOT go there at night.

BetwixtPhotos
01-28-2011, 05:00 PM
WARNING!!!
Breaking into abandoned buildings is not merely trespassing, it's BURGLARY. Yes, that's right, it's classified as burglary, a FEDERAL OFFENSE that can put your ass in jail if you're caught.

This simply isn't true no matter who you say told you that. They might be able to charge you with Breaking and Entering if it is a locked facility as opposed to trespassing which would just be being on private property without permission. If you got caught and didn't take anything I would pray that they did try and charge you with burglary as any lawyer worth anything could get you out of that. Also it would only be a federal offense if it was federal government property.

I'm not saying it is a great idea but misinformation bothers me. If you are interested in educating yourself on abandoned buildings and photography just google Urban Exploration.

Rander
01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
By the way, if anybody know any specific locations in Northern California, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

There's the Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg (http://www.oldsugarmill.com/). They are rebuilding it and they give tours and let you wander around, so you don't have to worry about legal issues. There have been quite a few photoshoot of general photography done there that you can check out online.

OGIGA
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
This simply isn't true no matter who you say told you that. They might be able to charge you with Breaking and Entering if it is a locked facility as opposed to trespassing which would just be being on private property without permission. If you got caught and didn't take anything I would pray that they did try and charge you with burglary as any lawyer worth anything could get you out of that. Also it would only be a federal offense if it was federal government property.

I'm not saying it is a great idea but misinformation bothers me. If you are interested in educating yourself on abandoned buildings and photography just google Urban Exploration.
Thanks so much! "Urban Exploration" is exactly what I wanted to look for! I'll be looking into this some more. Thanks for the comment about the (mis)information too.

And also, thanks Rander. I really need to check out that place before they're done rebuilding.

The Fox
02-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Last time I did this, I contacted the owner of the property and faxed them a release that gave me permission to photograph on there property. If you are shooting as a student then I would still get one so that when the police show up you can show them the release and you are all good. I just called the manager/ owner that can give permission, fax them a generic forum and have them fax you a signed copy. Asking permission solves so many problems up front and as a student going outside the building(sometimes inside too, but they normally want you to have insurance incase something happens) they normally willing to let you do anything.

Now, there are places around here in socal that is completely abandoned(Salton Sea, Ca) that is an entire town that just up and left. You can photograph there freely as long as you are not trespassing on the property of people that are still living there.

Nick

shortlilninja
02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Now, there are places around here in socal that is completely abandoned(Salton Sea, Ca) that is an entire town that just up and left. You can photograph there freely as long as you are not trespassing on the property of people that are still living there.

Nick

I heard of this place is it not the lake that just had tons of dead fish everywhere? it was like palm springs before it became a ghost town right?