PDA

View Full Version : Question, regarding my FFX Yuna costume...

~Yukiko~
10-13-2003, 11:30 PM
Hi!! I'm kinda new. c.c But, uh, I have a question~~ I am making a Yuna costume, from FFX, and thanks to this forum I have answered all my questions and such... but I have one more, regarding her obi (yellow sash) I've looked at obi and even sites on how to tie them and such, and I've decided to sew Yuna's obi with satin. Now, obi's are made to NOT take on the shape of one's hips... so it doesnt look like my hips I have to make it thicker to make it square like an obi right? so should I like, take 2 layers, fill it with cotton and sew it up? cause obviously I dont want to go to the expense and buy all the under layers of an obi... unless I have to... well what did you guys do? and also for the bow... should I just tie it and sew it on?? how did you guys tie it? thank you people, hopefully I said this clear enough ^^;;

~Yukiko~
10-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to add in... what did you guys do to make the sleeves gradient? @.@ I dunno how I'm gonna do it without making it look like a straight line. lol

Yuna
10-14-2003, 12:55 AM
I wouls suggest making the obi stop before your hips start so you wouldn't have to worry about the obi deforming.

~Yukiko~
10-14-2003, 01:17 AM
Oh I'm sorry!! o.O;; I didnt mean hips... I meant the curve... er... here, lemme draw a picture quickly!!

...um...does my attachment show? *cries* !! I cant use this T-T

Yuna
10-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Make it stop where your waist ends. If that's *too* narrow (and people tend to make it too wide) sew a thick, curved layer of batting in the shape of your waist so it has some support and doesn't bunch.

~Yukiko~
10-14-2003, 07:40 PM
hmm.. reasonable I guess... no one else answered my other question. :| Anyways, your icon is soooo cute~ ^0^ Nozomi Tsuji??

Yuna
10-14-2003, 11:01 PM
It'a accually Ai Kago ^_^

Gradient dyeing is reletivly simple. Bucket of water, bucket of dye, and some elbow greese. Soak in dye, then soak in water. Practise the techinique out on some test fabric before you do it to your accual sleeves. It may take some practise, but it should work very well.

~Yukiko~
10-15-2003, 12:20 AM
oops, I get mixed with ai and tsuji~~ c.c;;

what is elbow greese for? o.O;;
*stupid* x.x
Thank you, though~~~

Yuna
10-15-2003, 07:56 AM
lol, because, depending on the fabric you choose, you might be dipping the sleeves in each bucket for quite a long time. It can tire out your arms, I know @__@

Mistress Myaje
10-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Another thing that would help you in dyeing the sleeves is if you wet down your fabric first. If your fabric is already wet, it will cause the dye to slowly absorb into the fabric, which is a good way to get the gradient effect that Yuna's sleeves have.

Best advice though, work on scrap fabric first until you feel comfortable doing what you need to do. Also, for a pan to put the dye in, I'd get one of those long, shallow ones like you use for rolling house paint in.

Yuna
10-16-2003, 12:44 AM
That way does work, but be careful on which type of fabric you do it one because that techinique has a tendancy to gradient very unevenly, i.e. it will soak up in sections, not smoothly.

~Yukiko~
10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
I think I will use buckets and/or the sink. lol :D THANKS PEOPLE!!! *dance*

~Yukiko~
10-18-2003, 12:45 AM
OH!! Another question!! I'm going out to buy fabric tomorrow so I need this answered quickly.... How many metres of satin should I buy for yuna's obi plus her bow? 2, 3? I dunno what I'm gonna do yet, I might wrap the satin around a really thin piece of sponge or something so it's not too flat. How muuuuchhhh~~?

Yuna
10-18-2003, 01:03 AM
That all depends on your measurements.

~Yukiko~
10-18-2003, 01:39 AM
I wear a size 0 in pants. o.o yes, I'm damned skinny

Lisandra
10-18-2003, 05:00 AM
I found some more Yuna`s costums
Enjoy ^__^

http://www.ffforever.info/pics/ffx2...loralfallal.jpg

http://www.ffforever.info/pics/ffx2...ob/mascot02.jpg

http://www.ffforever.info/pics/ffx2...ychofighter.jpg

http://img.lj.com.ua/lisangel/yuna1.jpg

I wonder if anyone cam make the first one 0_0

Lisandra
10-18-2003, 05:02 AM
I`m going to do the third one ^__^

Yuna
10-18-2003, 01:49 PM
I wear a size 0 in pants. o.o yes, I'm damned skinny

I would get two yards of it, and make sure the bolt width is over 35'. You're tiny liek me, I wear size 0 too ^_^, and we needed less the 2 yards for my obi and bow, but you always want more then enough just in case... XD

~Yukiko~
10-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Yay! Thanks. ^^ I'll buy that today and get to work~~ :O I looked at your gallery, yuna, and your obi is wonderfullllll (for both the new and old one) but I wanna make it like your new one. how did you do it? (so I can get ideas...I never made anything before c_@)

Miaka No Baka
10-18-2003, 04:46 PM
bows are very easy to sew. You just cut out a rectangle in the size you want the bow to be and sew it then you scrunch the middle. When i made my yuna obi i made 2 bow pieces (one smaller than the other cause of how yuna's obi is) and i stacked the smaller one on top of the larger one and it turns out really nice. The more pieces you make it in, the easier it'll be for your to paint because you can paint each piece separately then attach them together once it all dries that way you don't have to worry about two pieces touching and smearing the paint.

to make the obi stand out good try some batting. I used a thin layer in mine, it gives the whole thing a good look of being full but not over stuffed. I have pictures of my obi in progress if you want to see them for help I'll link all the pictures here since i don't have them up on my yuna costume webpage.

here is the obi before it was sewn together and painted. I just placed everything how i wanted it to go to see how it's going to look.

http://shin-ri.org/kon-nichiwa/cosplay/yuna/10.jpg

here's the front view after it was painted. I glued the rope down to the obi in the right places so the rope is in 2 pieces, but you wouldn't know this because the rope goes underneath the bow area which is covered by that back flap thingie so it's not seen.

http://shin-ri.org/kon-nichiwa/cosplay/yuna/13.jpg

and here's the back of the obi. It's upside down cause of how i took the picture but from what you can see it looks full but not overly stuffed and pillowy. And it looks like it was tied like this but it wasn't. The obi was really 4 pieces (the belt part, the big bow section, the little bow section and the flap that covers the bow) the flap goes in a loop over the small and large bow sections and is sewn to the belt part of the obi.

http://shin-ri.org/kon-nichiwa/cosplay/yuna/16.jpg

To paint it you can use a variety of things from fabric paint to acrylics mixed with textile medium. I used flower and leaf beads in mine to give it more of a personalized touch and a 3d look. I also sewed the pink part to the top edge of the belt of the obi. I wouldn't make the obi much wider than 5 or 6 inches i believe otherwise it looks overly large as if it's going to eat your waist ^_^; But if you make it so the obi stops right at your waist line it should work out fine esp if you don't use the rope to keep it tightly on to you. Put some velcro, snaps or hooks on the back section of the obi to keep it closed and use a hook or two on the other section of the bow to hook it so it covers the back seam cause when you sew the bow on, you can only sew on half of it to one side of the belt so that way you can open it and put it on. The hooks on the opposite side will also help hold up the bow in the good shape.

If you don't want to use batting and want it to be a bit thinner you can get shirting interfacing. It's super stiff if you apply it to both pieces of fabric it'll make a nice and stiff (but bendable if need be) piece of fabric.

Miaka no Baka

Yuna
10-19-2003, 02:14 AM
Yay! Thanks. ^^ I'll buy that today and get to work~~ :O I looked at your gallery, yuna, and your obi is wonderfullllll (for both the new and old one) but I wanna make it like your new one. how did you do it? (so I can get ideas...I never made anything before c_@)

Wire and patience.

The pattern was sketched on, then acrylic based paints were mixed until the color was right, then painted on with very very small, ANNOYING, brushes. The most recent obi is the 3rd Yuna obi I've made, with Adella's help on the wire working and structure.

lainey
10-19-2003, 10:22 AM
u had wire in the bow...?

hey yuna...would you ever mind to give a step by step instruction on how you made yours...?

~Yukiko~
10-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that would be helpful! :O I should buy some wire next time I'm out~

Yuna
10-19-2003, 09:51 PM
If I could go into it, I would, but the bow part of it, the wire working section of it, was done by Adella. All I can really say is that the petal parts of the bow were bent from one peice of wire and attached to a base, which was tied onto the main/body section of the obi. A third peice was slide through and folded down to emulate the section of Yuna's obi that hangs in the center of the bow - with the single vine.

If you need help with painting, bead working, and detailing onto the obi, that's what I can get into. But like I said, I don't know *how* the bow is tied onto me because it's done behind me by Adella, and the wire portion of the bow was bent by Adella as well.

~Yukiko~
10-21-2003, 12:53 AM
Oh yes!! Thank you! ^^ Please, tell me how to paint good... I bought lots of "creart frabric paint" and I know it is probably your average fabric paint. what I dont like about fabric paints, is that they do not blend into the fabric like a pencil would to a paper. it dries kind of bulging out, like it was 3D. That's not too bad I guess. But it really shows, cause it shines!! lol but even worse, with stuff like this, it sometimes pops out of the tube and will make my drawing look wiggled or with more amount of paint in some spots. messy. if I used a tiny brush would it fix that?? also, I basically bought everything for my yuna. but the white fabric. the shirt will be easy to figure out, but how much fabric should I need for the arms? my arms are little, because I am a skinny short person. lol I'm like 5 ft 0 or 5 ft 1 c_C;; lol so how many metres/yards? u.u sorry to ask so much, I just like to be as perfect as I can :P

Yuna
10-21-2003, 02:16 AM
It sounds like you're useing puffy paint. Puffy paint is great int hat you can move as if it was connected to your arm, however it does tend to pop out thick amounts. I used bottled acrylic paint for mine, you can buy it at hobby stores. It comes in a metal tube. I mixed colors together until I got the color I thought was right, then I used very small brushes to paint the design on with. For the obi, we sketched the design onto the fabric with a pencil first and then I painted it, so as not to mess up. This method may take several coats, and acrylic paint is evil and likes to dry quick and get hard blots, but it's not shiny, it's not 3-D, and it tends to look almost silk-screened onto to fabric. It's very beautiful. =D

Like I said with the obi, always get extra. I would prolly get three yards or more, and PLEASE, if you want it to be as perfect as you can, DO NOT get a shiny material for the sleeves and top. They're not shiny, so don't make them shiny XD;

lainey
10-21-2003, 07:17 AM
i figured.. a cotton jersey knit for the top...
though i'm unsure...
could i use white broadcloth for the top and sleeves?

Yuna
10-21-2003, 09:37 AM
I would choose a heavy fabric for the sleeves and top, so it flows right for the sleeves, and isn't see through for the top. Also, the top and sleeves have little to no texture what-so-ever, so a smooth, non-knit fabric would probably be your best bet if you're going for intense accuracy.

lainey
10-21-2003, 04:47 PM
i just have some broadcloth leftover...

what if i like sew four layers to make it thicker for the shirt LoL
or two layers for the sleeves...

would it be horrible or ok?

of course, like all yuna costumes, i need to iron those sleeves like a madman.

~Yukiko~
10-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I know I dont want the white material to be shiney. all I'm going to ask the lady is that is isnt see-through, and that it will take dye, and that it isnt SHINEY! lol :P and I'll let her give me a good fabric... erm... but... you never answered...how much yards for the white material?? ^^; P.S:(I already got 2 yards of the obi material and all of the sudden you say 3!? but the bolt width is like 47 or something so that is good? o.O;; lol :D )

Miaka No Baka
10-21-2003, 10:07 PM
cotton is one of the better materials when it comes to dying. Go with 100% cotton. If it's got polyester in it at all or any other synthetic (acetate type things) the dye won't work and you might not get as nice of a dye job as you were hoping to. For the sleeves they're just long rectangles folded in half (the fold is the part where your arm goes) You need to get enough to go down as long as you want them to be. So hold your arms out straight and measure from the top of your arm down to a length you feel is good for the sleeve. Then multiply that by 2 and add an inch or two for seams and what not. Then when you go to sew that rectangle together you stitch the whole way across the bottom part, then on one side you sew almost all the way up, but leave enough room for your upper arm to fit through, then on the other side sew it up but leave enough for your hand to fit through, remember don't sew it as small as your wrist, otherwise you'll never be able to get your hand through. Then you can make little loops on the upper arm endand thread your cording through and when you tie the cording right it'll help hold it on your arms. I'll try drawing a picture to demonstrate for you. But as far as the layers go, my sleeves are 2 layers (2 giant rectangles) it gives them a nice weight, and also they make great item storers ^_^; I tend to carry my camera or whatever else i get in them.

2 yards for your obi should be enough since you are cutting it into strips. Make sure you go off the width of the fabric as your length. So say you're cutting your belt part and you need it to be like 30 inches long, if your fabric is folded in half just measure how ever many inches wide you want it to be from the cut edge and cut it that way. My obi only took 2 yards or so and at the time my waist was a 36 inch waist, which is probably larger than you are ^_^;

As far as the top goes, take one of those sewing measuring tapes and place it on you as if it were the top and measure that. The length of fabric you need mostly depends on your bust size, and the length of your torso. The larger bust you have the more fabric it takes to cover that ^_^; You can cut out 2 long rectangles in the length you measured + an inch or two and in the width you feel is good for it and sew that together and then you'll have the top.

Miaka no Baka

edit: added the picture i hope this helps those who are wondering. ^_^;

Yuna
10-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Lainy:
Well, you don't want the shirt to be *too* thick because then it wont fold over your chest correctly like Yuna's does. If you want to take a short-cut with the top, if your fabric *is* slightly transparent, just maked the straps of the bra you wear black and make the body of it (the part around your breasts) a nude/flesh toned color. That, however, is evil short cut of doom method.

Yukiko:
I did answer your question on yardage sweetie ^_^; I said three yards or more, just in case you screw up. It never hurts to ahve extra.

I used a heavy tee-shirt material for my top and sleeves. It has a slight stretch to it like tee-shirts do, but is nice a heavy so useing it for the sleeves was *very* nice. I doesn't fray terribly, and it's easy on one's sewwing machine. Plus it takes dye klike a dream. =D

~Yukiko~
10-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanks miaka~~ that gave me some ideas. folding is damn easier. :D lol

Yuna~chan... ahaha OH!! You said 3 yards or more on OBI...or atleast thats what I read :| but I guess it meant white material c_C;; ahh sorrysorry lol
The top will be very easy. the arms will be okay. ^_^ the only thing I am concerned about is gradient dye. But I'll so my best with the info you people gave to me :) thanks alot~~ I have another question...yet again!!! lol what should I use to shape the two long beads that hang down from yuna's obi? I got some blue fimo stuff that goes hard when you bake it. I know I can make the shape by rolling it, but what should I put in the middle to make the hole? should I shape it over a straw or something? o_O;; because the rope on yuna's obi is very thick...;_;'

Miaka No Baka
10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
I used a wooden chopstick. Don't use any thing else to stick inside it cause you have to bake fimo and plasic or whatnot will melt, causing a yucky mess! What i did was I used the fat rope (which goes across the obi front) and i glued it using epoxy to the top of the beads, then i glued the tassle on the other end. I made mine so it looks like all the beads are there on the two fimo tubes i made.

Miaka no Baka

Yuna
10-23-2003, 12:16 AM
I used a plastic clear tubing that was measured and cut, then spray painted the right blue color. You can get the tubing at a local hardware store =D It's light, I could string a string through it, and it took spray paint like a dream =3 Perfect for the job =D

~Yukiko~
10-23-2003, 01:27 AM
oh well, im not up for buying anything else but the white and stuff that I need. cause I already have fimo and it will be a waste if I dont use it...lol oh well, chopstick it is. *thumbs up*

lainey
10-23-2003, 06:53 AM
yuna..plastic clear tubing..?
is there a name for it?

heki-chan
10-23-2003, 01:47 PM
im a bit confused X_X
are u guys talking about the blue sticks that hang from the flower?

for that i just used ghetto wooden dowels with a hook drilled in. i guess it did the job alright

and yep i agree with nessa, probably the best material to work with is the sportknit (tshirtish) fabric

perfect weight, it hardly frays and dyes wonderfully. the only set back would be the price. around here it runs at about $12/meter ERK.

plastic tubing is a REALLY awesome idea, no drilling involved^___^
ive seen it at some hardward stores

~Yukiko~
10-23-2003, 09:23 PM
if only I asked BEFORE I bought fimo :P lol

lainey
10-23-2003, 09:50 PM
lol seriously...
12/m is pricey omigosh...

Yuna
10-23-2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah, but you'll only need about 15 inches of it for both the tubeing/long blue beads - they're not as long as you think they are, the beads that is. XD

lainey
10-24-2003, 07:15 AM
no i thought heki was saying 12/m for the fabric not the plastic tubing...

thanks yuna ^_^ you've been of great help.
i figure it's best to not rush, collect all info i need, then start making the costume.
while if i rush, i know i'm going to buy the wrong fabrics and things or what not ^_^