PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Photographer

SweetOcarina
12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
We're training up a cosplay photographer and although we've given him feedback I'm sure you guys can help some more. Here's some work from the most recent shoot. Any feedback is welcome! (Including poses for us!)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/354/9/0/ganbarimasu_by_sweet_potato_ocarina-d3595j5.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/354/6/1/yukihime_by_sweet_potato_ocarina-d35962g.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/354/3/4/snow__snow__snow_by_sweet_potato_ocarina-d3594uz.jpg

Thank you!

Ashurachan
12-22-2010, 04:54 AM
#01 : too much space above the head. Showing full body rather than a lot of sky would have worked a lot better. In order to achieve good full body shot, kneeling is often a good start.
#02 : needs a little straightening. Otherwise the composition works well.
#03 : The sky being all white, it's an empty space. Also, the sides do not bring anything to the picture, so cropping a lot more tightly around the cosplayer would make it a lot more interesting, and make us wonder whether the snow was actually falling ;)
Hope this helps !

Mikidachan
12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree with Ashurachan.

The only thing that I could add is to try and look at it from a few different angles. In all three shots you can see a bit of a distracting background whether it's the cars or the fence which crops straight through the photograph. Since it might be hard to find good shooting locations without those things, either A) try cropping closer to the cosplayer, as said earlier or B) get some angles in there. Try a shot from above, below, up from the side, make it interesting. It's better to have plain trees in the background than a straight line of cars/a fence.

shadowbeam
12-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I do like these shots in terms of the energy in them, especially yourself SweetOcarina, in that sense I think they are really good and show loads of promise, I like that you haven't just gone for the simple and easy poses, especially in the last shot. I think, like Mikidachan said, if you go for some angles and close up's etc you could really come out with some awesome shots!

OGIGA
12-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Hmm, this is random, but how long are the cosplayers able to stay out there for the photoshoot? Just saying, because it looks cold and they're wearing skirts that are so short. =P

SweetOcarina
12-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Thank you everyone ^^ You've given me some great things to consider!

OGIGA: We were out there about half an hour, but in the costumes all day as we travelled around London. We didn't really have time to compose most of these shots particularly well because of that I guess. I never considered that my Glare of Murderous Intent TM while waiting for the shots to be taken might have affected them...

brucer007
12-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I enjoy your candid poses. You seem involved, and that tells a little story. Your 1st image could have been with one of your shoulders angled toward the camera, but I like the symmetry of your snow throwing pose.

Tighter cropping so there is less room above the heads would improve all these compositions.

The 1st two images are both too bright, making the white parts of the costume totally blend with the snow. I would like to see more detail in the costumes and see where the edges end and where the snow begins.