PDA

View Full Version : Utatane Piko...help?

symph0ny
12-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Hello!
Anyways, down to business. I'm very seriously thinking of doing a cosplay for Utatane Piko, who was just recently released. It won't be for until Anime Expo in July but I figure the earlier I get started the better so I can get with tinkering(and throw together my other simpler cosplays while I work). The problem is, this costume seems pretty complex, and while I'm very much up to the challenge I know I'm gonna need some advice and didn't see much Piko talk in the main Vocaloid thread. Anyways.

First off, reference picture: http://images.wikia.com/vocaloid/images/0/0a/Utatanepiko.jpg

Ok. So, first question, what fabric would you guys suggest I use for his main costume? (the weird one piece white dress thing LOL) I was walking around my local Joann's, trying to get ideas, and I'm still not quite sure what I should go with. Any ideas?

Second, I have a lot of ideas for how I might tackle a lot of the costume, but that bottom portion of the dress thing...the circle hoop thing at the bottom...that I'm not quite sure how I should pull off...

Lastly, do you think this would be a good wig for Piko? http://cgi.ebay.com/Anime-Cosplay-Wig-Long-Layered-White-Hair-Wig-Party-M36-/250746966627?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item3a61af1263
Obviously it's pretty long, and I'd have to do trimming, but I figure I'll need a little extra anyways if I want to try and pull off that P on his head, yeah? The only reason why I ask is I want to be sure I'm getting a decent wig.

pinku_spaidaa
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I've been planning a Piko costume of my own, so I know how intimidating it is, XD. First off, the wig looks great. The only thing you need to be sure of is how thick it is in the back. A thin wig won't agree with the layering you have to do on the back of his head. I've never bought a wig from there so I'm not sure of the quality, but it should be fine. Just double check with someone who has.

As for the outfit, there are a few options for material. In the spirit of costuming, you could go with a vinyl. The upsides to this fabric is it looks nice, if done properly, it can be pretty cheap on sale(if you can find it on sale) and is moderately easy to work with, providing you have a good machine or strong hands. The down-sides are that the fabric simply cannot breathe. In all honesty, I would suggest against this for this reason. You will be sweating and it can get itchy. Most other Vocaloid cosplays seem to use a dress satin with an fusible interfacing to keep it firm and protect against fraying. This will be a lot more work(certain types can fray easily, making it difficult to sew) and the fusible interfacing will again be itchy unless you use another layer of fabric beneath it. This is the nicer of the two options but can also be very expensive.

The last bit of the costume can be the hardest: All of the hardware on the costume itself. I haven't decided what I'm going to do but I have a few ideas. The first is a whole lot of craft foam. There's a good tutorial here: http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html but you wouldn't be able to make the larger pieces unless you found a big piece of craft foam. The other idea is using trash cans and involves cutting the pieces, then heating them in water until they are a tad bendable and bending them into the shape you need. I have yet to find a tutorial, but when I do I'll post it for you.

I hope that was helpful. I imagine others have some better ideas on the hardware.

pinku_spaidaa
12-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Actually, since you're going with such a long wig, there will be plenty of hair left(if need be) to do some wefts. I'm still trying to figure out the 'P' ahoge on top but, I imagine there will be copious amounts of freeze spray and possibly a piece of tarnish wire involved. And a pot of coffee. Ugh..

symph0ny
12-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow thanks you were a lot of help with your suggestions! I'll have to look around for fabrics and see what I should do. Yeah I've worked with costume satin before and I got really frustrated at how easily it frayed, but I'll see. lol

Yeah all the hardware on him is what's pretty intimidating, but that's all part of the challenge, right? XD Hmnn yeah I was thinking of using craft foam for most of it, but thanks for linking to that tutorial, I think that'll be really helpful. If you do find a tutorial for that trash can thing or whatever please share! 'cause that bottom part is what's puzzling me a lot.

I figure for the P on top of his head it's basically the same thing as what Miki cosplayers do. The my favorite Mikii thing on the top of her head wig I've seen so far is this one: http://tink-ichigo.deviantart.com/art/Miki-and-Rin-167742370 Who used a wire frame.

Pudding-chan
12-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Hey there! About that wig, there are reviews for the shop in the commissioner thread. I personally have bought a wig from that seller; mine was one of those clippy ponytail ones so I can't testify to how thick their long wigs are but from what I have read, their wigs can be a bit thin. Mine was a bit thin in the back. However, the fibers on mine were pretty decent so you might consider buying it and harvesting for wefts.

Basically, the wigs are good quality for the price, but might be a bit thin

kuribayashichan
02-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I totally want to do this for Otakon. I agree that vinyl wouild be bad, so I think that satin or silk type material with reinforecment would be best. I totally want to make this outfit. I subscribed to this thread, so we can suggest ideas when we come across them. Maybe I could finish it and we could have two of us at AX...??