PDA

View Full Version : Captain Jack Sparrow cosplay!

number18
10-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, I've already seen two lovely crossplaying ladies on the boards do him, but how many others are planning or in-progress on the costume right now? Or another costume from the movie?

I decided around the first week of Oct that I'd do him for Halloween. Just came back from buying the fabric and now all I need to do are the wig, beads, boots, belt...and the sash. And other accessories. Later on, I think I'll make his hat and captain's jacket too.

I don't think I'll do the facial hair though. Not yet, at least...
I think maybe doing the wig and boots are gonna be the most arduous...

Sana-chan
10-14-2003, 10:37 PM
I've been working on a Jack Sparrow costume ^^. It's proved to be quite a costly endeavor, but I love Jack so it's ok lol. Right now I'm having issues with the hat. You can see some in progress piccies in my gallery.

I must say it is the weirdest feeling, being a girl, and wearing a beard and mustache O_O

number18
10-15-2003, 12:26 PM
I love your costume so far (since it's in progress you say). I must say I'm impressed by the beard. Does it stay on well??

As for me, I got material for the shirt, pants, vest, and bandana so far...and I had found a pretty similar fabric to his sash, but it had too many red stripes so it looked more red from afar than white...and dirty. lol...

I imagine buying beads will cost me some, as well as trying to make a decent looking wig.

Did you use any patterns for your costume? I spent a bit of time yesterday looking at JoAnn's pattern books, but didn't find anything worthwhile...

Anyway, off to work!

little villan
10-17-2003, 09:17 AM
hi everybody! I'm making a capt sparrow costume too! If you check ebay, they have several different patterns for a jack sparrow costume.
I don't know what I'm going to do for my wig. any suggestions?

number18
10-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Really???? How much are the patterns??? =goes to look RIGHT now=

EDIT: Question - does he wear 3/4 pants or are they long? A picture without his boots would be nice.... <3

Toka_pop
10-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Question - does he wear 3/4 pants or are they long? A picture without his boots would be nice.... <3
Jack has his boots off in the scene with Elizabeth when they're stuck on the Island. They are 3/4 capri-type pants. If you search for some pics from that scene, then you'll be all set.

FairyDust
10-19-2003, 12:56 AM
I made Sparrow's costume for AFO back in August. It was my first crossplay.....and probably my last :P

<3 Jack to bits but I was not digging the facial hair thing.

Scruffy Rebel
10-19-2003, 10:43 PM
yet another crossplayer here! My first time though, I just couldn't resist not doing the Jack costume, it seemed like so much fun for a girl! Doing a simpler version as far as I'm not wearing a beard or moustache or anything, and I wont have the tricorn or his big overcoat, or weapons. I'm at the tail end of finishing up my costume. Have a seamstress doing the shirt and pants because I didn't want to bother it. Right now I'm working on dying my bandanna to the appropriate color as well as doing a similar pattern on it. My boots and sash are my fav part of the costume right now, I love coming home and slipping into the boots...gotta wear them! lol. I'm wearing it for the upcoming Las Vegas Con, and will probably be the only time I wear it. I just wanted to do it for the heck of it! Got a prop friend trying to finish up a replica of the compass, can't wait to see how that turns out.

~Oracle.

little villan
10-20-2003, 05:52 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2958602748&category=19255

There you go #18

How did you make your boots oracle? I saw the jack sparrow boots at caboots.com, but there 300$ plus shipping 0_O;; I was thinking of buying a pair of those cheap white boots at electriqueboutique.com and covering them and adding the cuff around them. I don't know how to go about this though. Can yo just glue fabric to shoes?

Scruffy Rebel
10-20-2003, 02:36 PM
I actually went through caboots.com and blew the $315 on getting those boots! I've made my boots before, when I did my Kidd costume, and I've gone the route of getting cheapo black boots and having them dyed, which is what I did for my Batgirl boots...but for some reason I found myself compelled to say screw it and spend so much on a really nice pair of boots. And I couldn't be more pleased. It's definitely the most expensive part of the ensemble I'm putting together, but the craftsmanship is so top notch, the boots look flipping fantastic, and they're really really comfortable! I got the dark brown ones they offered because they were the closest looking to what Jack actually wears. In some pics I look at, the boots he wear and the boots I have look just about identical, except his are all beat up and really worn in.

~Oracle

Skullez
10-20-2003, 05:00 PM
im all doen with mine ! =^.^= except the hat...the hat was trouble for me and i quit on it ! im going to buy my hat. to hard to make. adn the boots lol im just gona use some black ones...even though i really really want soem tan ones like jacks and of course no face hair..im already obsesed w/ depp i dont wana be ...too obsesed...

but post pics when u are done !!

Utinni
10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
well, well, well.... look what we have here, Twigg.... Jack Sparrow... ummm I mean Victoria!! lol funny to bump into you here :-p
Yeah, her costume is coming along nicely! The compass is getting there too...Compass Project (http://images3.fotki.com/v32/photos/4/42027/412247/DSCF0004-vi.jpg)

Jeff

number18
10-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Ahh thanks a ton for that pattern link! I'm debating bidding on it cause I'm about to start working on cutting the fabric tonight...or at least making a rough pattern for myself. I took a bunch of ref pics from Jack Sparrow costumes other people had up on eBay. But that pattern...hmmm...

I also bid on a Jack Sparrow compass the other day. It was 10 bucks, but I got outbid and now it's up to 31. Yikes.

I'm planning on making boot covers just cause it's cheap and will probably look better than any kind of boot I'd be able to find, but I wonder if suede alone will do the job. I guess I'll have to buy double amount and use interfacing to make certain parts stiff enough.

Then there are the things I might not get around to or have the money for to make...like the hat and the overcoat. I really need to get on the ball with the wig and beads. And the belt and sash. Ohhh and I need to buy the silver buttons for his pants and vest. Though I dunno exactly what the top of his pants look like. :/

And I REALLY don't think I'm gonna do the facial hair. I don't think I'm gonna bind myself either. Did anyone do that, actually?

Ahh phooey, that auction ends in 2 hours. I bid on it. :/

Scruffy Rebel
10-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Eeep, I've been spotted! hehe, yes Jeff has been an absolute delight working on that compass for me. It's turning out so splendidly. I should be hearing from my seamstress sometime this week, so that all I have left to do is finishing dyeing my bandanna. But if worst comes to worst, I'll just go buy some red fabric instead. I'm still debating about the facial hair. Part of me thinks it would be interesting, like from an extreme acting and characterization point of view. But on the other hand, I just like being a girl dressing like a guy, hehe...if that made any sense! Plus the wig is a striking enough difference for me, so I might just stick with that and opt to not do any facial hair. Rather hard to hit on a guy if you have more facial hair than him!!!

~Oracle

Utinni
10-21-2003, 04:18 PM
lol

I say... go without the facial hair :-p

Jeff

Sana-chan
10-21-2003, 09:16 PM
I say... go WITH facial hair XD.

Did you use any patterns for your costume?
For the vest I altered the pattern I used for my Legolas costume. Everything else was pretty much just made up.

I still gotta make my compass ><. Has anyone made theirs themselves? I was thinking of using wood, but I don't think that'll give it the authentic rusted metal look...

number18
10-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Hmmm, I thought briefly about making one that didn't open, just for show, I guess...but that would be for a later date. I really don't have the extra money to be spending. Luckily, the fabric I got today at JoAnn's for the sash and for boot covers today only came out to 10 bucks! I love these sales they're having. :D The sash material I got was actually a Christmas fabric...white with red stripes in varying widths. I think it will work quite well.

And thanks for the caboots.com mention, Oracle! Those were great for further reference pics. Also, thanks little villan for that eBay auction. I ended up winning it. Hopefully it will arrive in time for me to get things done on Halloween. I paid the seller already...and if it doesn't get here in time, I can always resell it.

Quick question/request to everyone (before I receive that pattern I won) - Could you post pics of the top of your Jack Sparrow pants? I'm just kind of curious to see what everyone did, and most obviously for reference as well. ^_^ Danke schon! :heart:

little villan
10-22-2003, 06:22 AM
you make those boots sound so tempting oracle ~_^ I really want them, but.... 315$ is a bunch of money! I can't decide. hope that pattern works for you #18, parts of it, like the coat, didn't look quite the same as jacks.

number18
10-22-2003, 10:28 AM
hope that pattern works for you #18, parts of it, like the coat, didn't look quite the same as jacks.

Yeah, the coat I might not use...but I really got it for the hat, pants, shirt and vest patterns. It seems from the picture that I might need to alter the shirt and vest patterns a bit, though. Still, this will hopefully prevent me from fumbling too much while making the costume. :D

Cherry
10-23-2003, 05:16 AM
I did Jack Sparrow, though he wasn't fully done at the time when I wore him to Ani-Magic.. still working on improving the wig, getting the hat(done by Raya), and sewing the jacket and such.

:)

Sana-chan
10-26-2003, 09:44 AM
My boots are done yay! The jacket still needs pockets and I gotta paint and scuff up the hat, but there's a newly updated pic in me gallery with stuff XD

little villan
10-26-2003, 10:40 AM
wow sana chan your costume looks so great!
I love your boots too, I was going to make mine originally, but I broke down and bought the 300$ ones an hour ago. I really hope they're worth it.

number18
10-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Man...Sanachan, your new in-progress pics are fantastic. And you bear an eerie resemblence to Jack Sparrow, facially! It's quite strange. But you look sooooo good! :D

I spent all day today after work (been about 4 hours now) working on the pants for my costume. Bought a bunch of beads and the buttons I need for the vest and pants. Pants are taking me quite some time because I decided to screw the pattern I got since it calls for elastic and whatnot and sew it up another way...which means all this extra time spent fitting it and all that crapola. But they look good. Tried em on with my sash and belt and whooo boy! :bigtu:

God. Halloween is this friday and I'd like to have a fairly accurate costume. I work 5 to 12pm all this week though and baaaaaaah. Gonna be so tired. :P

Can I ask Sanachan what material the hat is made out of?? And what exactly are you gonna paint it with (shoe polish comes to mind)? Annnd (just tell me if I'm being too nosey on your "trade secrets") what kind of fabric did you use for the coat? Again, it all looks quite fantastic. :)

Sana-chan
10-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Man...Sanachan, your new in-progress pics are fantastic. And you bear an eerie resemblence to Jack Sparrow, facially! It's quite strange. But you look sooooo good! :D

Can I ask Sanachan what material the hat is made out of?? And what exactly are you gonna paint it with (shoe polish comes to mind)? Annnd (just tell me if I'm being too nosey on your "trade secrets") what kind of fabric did you use for the coat? Again, it all looks quite fantastic. :)

First of all, thank you very much XD. It's always a great thing to hear that you're pulling off one of your all time favorite characters off with some sense of justice lol. I really appreciate it ^_^.

As for "hat-chan", as I call it lol... The hat is made out of leather. It was made by my friend, Raya (on the boards), for me X). She's such a sweetie and extremely talented! I'm going to paint it with fabric paint, recommended by her, and take some sand paper and scratch it up a bit.

Coat-chan is awesome. It's this wool shtuff that's been tea stained, chlorine pool stained, AND rum stained lol. Needless to say, it has an interesting smell lol. Ashley found the wool material at this one really good store that just has piles of stuff and knew it'd be perfect. It's also really really warm XD which is good cuz I wore it at a party at night and while everyone was all cold I'm all toasty lol.

number18
10-27-2003, 01:25 PM
You're quite welcome. :D

Anyway, I figured it might be made out of leather. Cause I was gonna say, if that's not leather, it looks pretty fly. I dunno where to get leather around my place though. Or wool, for that matter. My local JoAnns doesn't seem to carry any real (or faux) leather or suede products (all they have is faux suede and this other variant suede product). I'm guessing maybe I'll have to check out some non-chain fabric stores or SOMETHING, but to my best knowledge, they're all way out there.

Anywhoo! I figured the coat would be wool. Looks niiiiiiice. I wish I could have had time to make the coat, since I have the idea that I'll be swaggering around my neighborhood on Halloween as Jack lol...

Thanks for telling me all that stuff, though. Quite appreciated.

Scruffy Rebel
11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Finally finished my Jack Sparrow cossie, yay! Wore it at the Las Vegas Comic Con which was over this past weekend. Utinni took most of the pics during the Masquerade/Halloween night, so here are some links to them, hope you like!

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0009.html

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0006.html

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0006.html

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0050.html

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0044.html

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0076.html

and because everyone loves Vader - - -

http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/2_events/las_vegas/dscf0007.html

~Oracle

Scruffy Rebel
11-04-2003, 03:29 PM
wow sana chan your costume looks so great!
I love your boots too, I was going to make mine originally, but I broke down and bought the 300$ ones an hour ago. I really hope they're worth it.

The ones from caboots? They are seriously worth it hon...god I LOVE those boots! The people are very very very customer friendly and great with feedback all the time. My boots are so top notch and gorgeous, unbelievably comfy to walk around in, and just look flipping perfect to me. *breath* What color did you get?

~Oracle

Sana-chan
11-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Oracle- CHaaaa you have the compass lol how didja make it?

Scruffy Rebel
11-05-2003, 01:55 AM
My bud Utinni. A prop maker among other random things. The compass is sooooooo cool, and the one I used was just the prototype! He ran out of time to do the full on version, so this was more like the stuntman's version. It's great though, when he's all finished with it, it'll point in the wrong direction and all that stuff that Jack's compass does. It's the perfect size too. He wants to make a run of them, maybe do about ten or so. I had such a blast with the compass. When I was in costume on the exhibit floor I had it open the whole time and used it to "point" me in the right direction, it was fun. Had a banana with me everyday too, except for Masquerade because I didn't have a place to put it...oddly enough I never ate one of those bananas, even when I was hungry....just didn't seem right, hehe.

~Oracle

Utinni
11-05-2003, 03:49 AM
lol I was wondering why I was getting so many hits on my Vegas Album.... hehe

My personal favorite:
http://images4.fotki.com/v40/photos/4/42027/473387/DSCF0056-vi.jpg

Thanks for the compliments on the compass. That one is only about 50% finished, I ran outta time. You wouldn't think something so small would be SOOOOO detailed. I've been working on this project for MONTHS! I was able to take over 100 high res. pictures of the real compass when it was on display at Disneyland, and took about a month and a half to get all the measurements and data on paper.

The Compass dial had to be hand carved out of jeweler's wax (which is still not 100% finished yet) and the rest of the compass master was made out of styrene and MDF, then molded and cast in resin.

Please excuse the CRAPPY paint job, I did it at 2am the day we were leaving for Vegas... uuuugh
http://images3.fotki.com/v33/photos/4/42027/412247/DSCF0002-vi.jpg
http://images3.fotki.com/v34/photos/4/42027/412247/DSCF0004-vi.jpg
http://images3.fotki.com/v35/photos/4/42027/412247/DSCF0001-vi.jpg

Now that I no longer have to try and rush to get them done, I should be able to knock out a completely finished one pretty soon. Due to the time it takes to build up, paint and detail one, I think I'll only be doing around 10 "hero" props that open and function like the real one, and maybe do a few "stunt" versions that don't open.

If you're interested in my progress with the compass, please feel free to look through my album:
http://public.fotki.com/tk1178/1_pirates/project_sparrow_compass/

Jeff T.

number18
11-08-2003, 01:14 AM
Wow Oracle, those boots do look nothing shot of fabulous. :D Where did you get the belt for your costume? It's GREAT.

Utinni, the compass...amazing. How much do you think you'll ask for the other ones you'll be making? How about your friend, Oracle???

I got a half-decent Jack finished in time for Halloween. Here's a moving GIF of it:
http://www.cyborgmemoirs.com/vonny/movingjacksparrow.gif

As you can see, not enough or correct beads...
What you can't see are the boot covers - desperately need work. So do the pants. I dunno. I'm really going to put quite some effort into making it a nice costume. Haven't a clue where to wear it, though. :/

Oh, and I actually got in my town's newspaper in costume! I work at Dunkin Donuts and there was a costume contest amongst everyone and all the local stores, so yeah. Pictures. Our store won and I also ended up getting 50 bucks for best costume. :DDDD

http://www.cyborgmemoirs.com/Vonny/InTheNews.jpg

http://www.cyborgmemoirs.com/vonny/inthenews2.jpg

A shame that my sash kind of blocks out the rest of my costume. :(

Oh, and here is a link to a delightful quicktime movie (round 6mb) that I got from Positive Space (her live journal actually - hope you don't mind me posting this since you know...I couldn't see how your friend, Warren, wouldn't want people to see what he made). It's amazing. AMAZING!
http://www.seeoutloud.com/wjfhalloween.mov

Utinni
11-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Price right now is still being figured out, a compass recently sold on ebay for $255... and was TOTALLY INACCURATE.... I'm trying to get it 99.999999% correct! I actually started RE-CARVING another, more accurate dial tonight... waiting to hear the "uuugh" from Oracle...another slight delay... hehe sorry... but the prop side of me just couldn't live with the current one :p With the amount of detailing I've done to the masters, and then building and finishing them, the price is hovering around $200-$250. Which compared to other props, is a real steal.

It's basically ALL handmade, I built the masters by hand, only off the shelf items are the hinge, which is still custom mounted, the leather thong mount, and the locking clasp, which is also being custom modified. EVERYTHING else, I have scratch built.

The "Stunt" versions, which will not open up will be MUCH cheaper, most of the time goes into hand painting the compass dial and making sure everything is mounted correctly and straight.

I'm HOPING to get the new dial knocked out by end of next week, hand carving jeweler's wax is a pain in the arse...mess up... gotta start ALL over again....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Jeff

number18
11-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Damn. It's a shame I don't have a job that actually cares about it's employees and pays well. I don't have that kind of money to spend right now. :( If I did, I'd probably save up for one. ;-;

How much do you think the closed compass will cost??

And yeah, I've seen some really shitty, terribly inaccurate "Jack Sparrow" items selling on eBay for absurd amounts. Like a red sash and beads for at least a 100 plus? Almost makes me want to sew up a couple of "Jack Sparrow" shirts out of fekkin cotton muslin and sell them...lol

Utinni
11-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah I understand, I try and keep my items to the lowest price I can, and pretty much make my costs back. With all the time involved in just building up 1 compass, there really isn't any profit made, my time is not even fully covered. Silicone and resin isn't cheap, so it's pretty much paying for that. I don't believe in price gouging people for props, I'm in it for the challenge and fun of building.

The Stunts will be a LOT cheaper, pretty much just painting and weathering the box. I might even do a raw kit for that, so you can paint it yourself....even cheaper!

Jeff

Paolo_Rafael
11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
I also did a Jack Sparrow costume, even it's not finished, yet, I weared at Lucca Comics 2003....
and...
I would like to talk about the dress and the fabric I used, but I'm Italian, and I have several problems with the names of the fabric translation :(
I posted some pics on the gallery, if you're interested to see it. ^_^

number18
11-12-2003, 12:43 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good LORD your costume is amazing!

I think because you seem to be the only male Jack Sparrow cosplayer on this thread (cause Utinni was Barbossa, correct?), the pull it off so well - it's the real facial hair. Is that all your real hair, too? And a real pistol??? !!! Sexy! I love it. Completely!

Paolo_Rafael
11-12-2003, 01:29 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good LORD your costume is amazing!

I think because you seem to be the only male Jack Sparrow cosplayer on this thread (cause Utinni was Barbossa, correct?), the pull it off so well - it's the real facial hair. Is that all your real hair, too? And a real pistol??? !!! Sexy! I love it. Completely!
Well, the facial hair are mine, but I had a wig. It looked like it was real, I love it.
you can't notice in the pics, but the dredds are a lighter color than the rest of the hair, because I used a different kind of material ^__^
Even here in Italy I saw several female Jack cosplayers... but.. It seems so strange to me that no other males here cosplayed Jack. I mean... that's a great costume and character!

number18
11-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Even here in Italy I saw several female Jack cosplayers... but.. It seems so strange to me that no other males here cosplayed Jack. I mean... that's a great costume and character!

I agree. It's a very curious thing that not too many guys have cosplayed him yet. I wonder why.

Yeah, I noticed maybe in just one picture that one was a slightly different color from the rest of the hair. It's amazing, though! I'm envious. :D :bigtu:

Anyway, I think you must be my favorite new cosplayer person...I looked at your gallery and fell in love with nearly all of your costumes. lol... <3

Scruffy Rebel
11-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Awesome! I can't recall why but I had been rummaging through the galleries early and found your gallery. You do make one heck of a killer Jack Sparrow. That was a cool job on the costume and I loved your hair, so very very fantastic.

Utinni made the compass, but he isn't costuming as any of the characters. A friend of ours is though, going to get someone else to do Barbossa as well if I recall correctly. He'll be doing Jack Sparrow for next year's SD Con, and I'll be attempting Elizabeth. Paolo, you look great, but trust me, you'll definitely flip when you see pics of my friend when July finally rolls around!!!

~Oracle

Utinni
11-13-2003, 05:44 AM
No, I didn't do Barbosa, I was just a basic pirate. But I'll be doing Will's last costume for SD CC.

Jeff

Paolo_Rafael
11-21-2003, 05:03 AM
Awesome! I can't recall why but I had been rummaging through the galleries early and found your gallery. You do make one heck of a killer Jack Sparrow. That was a cool job on the costume and I loved your hair, so very very fantastic.

Utinni made the compass, but he isn't costuming as any of the characters. A friend of ours is though, going to get someone else to do Barbossa as well if I recall correctly. He'll be doing Jack Sparrow for next year's SD Con, and I'll be attempting Elizabeth. Paolo, you look great, but trust me, you'll definitely flip when you see pics of my friend when July finally rolls around!!!

~Oracle
Sorry for the late reply ^__^;;;

I'll waiting to see it :)

Masako
12-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Hi was wondering what is a good online retailer to get fake moustaches and gothee's?

I'm thinking of cosplaying as Jack Sparrow. ^_^