PDA

View Full Version : What to improve on?

Dayy
12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
So, I typically take pictures of inanimate objects, so actually being able to take a camera for an anime con was exciting. I want to see how well I did, and what I should watch out for later on. The locations in these pictures are absolutely terrible though, I know. And I'm trying out a lot of things lately. But here they are:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/346/5/2/dtac_russia_and_finland_derp_by_dayy-d34ro3i.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/346/7/4/dtac_2010___finland_and_sweden_by_dayy-d34rnrk.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/355/1/b/baby_canada_1_by_dayy-d35chd2.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/355/8/a/baby_canada_2_by_dayy-d35chnz.jpg

brucer007
12-28-2010, 03:58 AM
I am not sure what your objectives are in your photography. Are you trying to capture the spirit of the Convention, or are you trying to get people in character?

I like how the 4th image has the cosplayer looking off, not at the lens. The other images that have people looking at the lens seems to break the 4th wall, and not seem as in-character.

I would recommend avoiding blocking someone's face, who is big in the photo, unless you have a good reason for it.

Your camera is awfully physically close to people. This can create distortions of making whatever is closest to the lens seem proportionately bigger than everything else, and other things too small.

Be careful on your exposures. Images 3 and 4 are especially too bright. This can be a desired effect, but in these images, they seem just too bright.

In image 2, the guy was moving during your slow shutter exposure. Make sure both people are holding totally still when your camera shutter is 1/60th of a second, or slower.

As you mentioned, the locations were not good. Even in a "bad" location, you might find a better background, or better lighting, by moving your camera angle or by moving to a different part of the room. Try some outdoor locations, but consider your angle to find better lighting. Usually direct sunlight will be too contrasty, depending on the time of day. Try the shade.

Dayy
12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Thank you very much~ That all helped a lot. I would of actually went out. That convention was in December though, and in Canada non the less. No one really wanted to freeze over.

I do have problems realizing when the picture is too bright or too dark though. I feel that when it's darker, it looks pretty bad. It might have to do with the lighting I have, but I really can't tell sometimes.

brucer007
12-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Making adjustments to your camera settings should get you correct exposures. The lighting you have should not prevent you from setting the camera for great results. If your automatic exposure is not giving you good exposures, try manually controlling your shutter speed, lens opening, and ISO. You can also look for an Exposure Compensation feature that allows you to leave the camera in automatic exposure, but biases it to go brighter (+) or darker(-).

MeltyButter
01-20-2011, 04:58 PM
A couple of the images are kind of shakey but that can be easily adjusted with the proper settings. :) Good work!

mokulen22
01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm no top-notch photo-taker but I think non-professional opinions can be useful too...We are the target audience after all.

so here is my two cents:

Rigth off the bat I noticed, fc4 is a bit unclear. You can tell some camera adjustment is needed.

fc3 photo would have been better if the bottle wasn't masking the other person's face. I am not sure if this was the point...but you could have planned out the photo at a different angle so she was also visiable.

fc6 is very bright but I assume you're going for an angelic-setting?

Dayy
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Totally agree on fc4. fc3, though, I took out of amusement, seeing how disorted the face looked in the bottle, but I understand your point there.

And yes, I was going for the whole, cuteness and whatnot. Except I have trouble telling if it's too bright, or just enough. I tend to completly miss out on that.

Thanks you very much for the help. <3