PDA

View Full Version : Life goals?

onewingedjade
12-29-2010, 03:41 AM
I was wondering what everybody wants to do with their lives. Where you see yourself in 1, 5, 10 years...

CosplayCinema
12-29-2010, 03:46 AM
I want to go to Baylor Uni in Waco and working on my degree in Forensics and possibly later on in life working in California or something as a Forensic scientist :o

sailortintin
12-29-2010, 03:46 AM
1 Year: In College
5 Years or so: Graduating College
10 Years: Having a nice job and living in a nice place

Somewhere in there, there is a goal to go to Disneyland~

DaemonForce
12-29-2010, 03:49 AM
1 year: In the hospital
5 years: Finishing college
10 years: Working for myself

These are the things I want to say but lately my perception has become extremely narrow. I can barely see what happens to me in 3 days let alone a year. Though I do have quite a long list of goals for what little time I'm supposed to live. I shouldn't mention them here though.

onewingedjade
12-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Cinema: Forensics sounds intriguing :)
sailor: I live near Disney! Haven't been in a decade though, I'm sure it's nice.
Force: I hope the best for you, but it doesn't mean you have to give up many goals, just accomplish them in a shorter amount of time.

Yui
12-29-2010, 04:52 AM
I was wondering what everybody wants to do with their lives. Where you see yourself in 1, 5, 10 years...

...You are secretly working for everyone's parents, aren't you? ^_-

xSilhouetteLust
12-29-2010, 05:09 AM
I think I want to see my life in a few years where I finally get my GED, learn how to drive even though I'm 19, and then go to Beauty School. It's always sort of been a huge goal I've had. That and to get better at my sewing and art. [:

DaemonForce
12-29-2010, 05:14 AM
I think I want to see my life in a few years where I finally get my GED, learn how to drive even though I'm 19, and then go to Beauty School. It's always sort of been a huge goal I've had. That and to get better at my sewing and art. [:
You'll be able to do that faster than you think. At 18 I managed to fly through my GED in 5 weeks despite all the ID and driving problems I had with mom back then. Not sure about beauty school but it's a respectable endeavor along with any kind of art. I chose mechanical technology over all else. Maybe you'll go further than I will. :/

xSilhouetteLust
12-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Really? Getting a GED isn't that hard or tricky at all? Someone told me it is sort of expensive and takes forever. So I've been rather nervous. Now that I'm older I regret dropping out so much.
Well mechanical technology seems to be just as good.
I'm not sure if I'll go further or not I just hope one day to just make something more of myself then I am today. [:

DaemonForce
12-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Really? Getting a GED isn't that hard or tricky at all?
It's tricky because you have to jump through so many hoops. The first test measures where you are compared to the rest. The rest of the trouble is qualification. My ID expired on me in the middle of this so it disrupted a lot of my work. They wanted me to take classes too. A few of the people in the class were more interested in me than the work though. On a good note, I did manage to teach some of the math strugglers my dimensional thinking and the teacher had never seen work so visual. No wonder I failed so many math classes growing up. They couldn't understand my work!
Someone told me it is sort of expensive and takes forever.
It's expensive if you're stupid. For me it was $10 per test, the schedules were always full and they didn't want me taking any more than 1 test per week. This is why it took so long but the teachers and librarian were completely floored by me. I don't know if I could do that again at my current age though. Then again I'm only superior when it comes to testing so none of my grades really matter anyway. :/
So I've been rather nervous. Now that I'm older I regret dropping out so much.
Don't be nervous! Dropping out was a good thing. During my high school career I would have dropped out LONG before graduation had I had known it was such a ****ing waste of my time and the admins were so crooked.
Well mechanical technology seems to be just as good.
I'm not sure if I'll go further or not I just hope one day to just make something more of myself then I am today. [:
You will. Don't pay attention to anyone that tells you different. They're the ones suffering the consequences of spinning their wheels day and night.

Kelley
12-29-2010, 06:31 AM
I took driver's training and got my license when I was 18. :D It wasn't terribly difficult and I really enjoy driving now (12 hour car trip ? I will only stop for gas - twice).

If I had know how things had worked back in high school, I would have dropped out. It was a complete waste of my time - it was neither enriching technically or socially.

I'm not encouraging anyone to drop out - but if you're bored in school and not being challenged, or struggling against teaching methods that don't suit your learning style, look into your options.

In one year.... I'll still be in college (I have been for three years, however, I'm really "starting over" right now after considering a lot of careers that other other people thought I should go into - ones that I didn't actually want to go into).

In five years.... I'll still be in college.

In ten years... I'm not sure. Maybe I'll be a be a dentist. Maybe I'll be a nurse. No idea. I'm not worried - moving through the classes, I feel I'll end up with a better idea of what will suit me and what I'll be qualified for. :)

DaemonForce
12-29-2010, 06:41 AM
There is a time and place for everything and that's college.

The only problem I have with it is that it's too slow. Look at this year. It's coming to a close but the best paying jobs here and now didn't even exist when I graduated(6 years ago)! How the **** am I supposed to compete with that?! I can't do it. School is too slow.

Brsis
12-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Personally - having three siblings who DID drop out (YAY black sheep of the family!) - it's not really a good idea. My older sister and my younger brother are both geniuses, massive IQs, incredibly talented, the works, and they both dropped out. My sister dropped out when she was seventeen, worked a crappy low-paid accountants job she hated, living with my parents, and going steadily more and more neurotic for seven years until she got married and stopped working altogether, only to go stir-crazy from boredom. Things are finally working out for her and she's now thirty-three. My little brother dropped out at fifteen, went stir-crazy and neurotic, nearly died, and decided that he'd made a mistake and needed to get back on the ladder - and that took five years, and dropping out again once because he'd lost all the time management and organisation skills he needed to actually get by in an academic environment, and had very few friends because he was so much older than the other people in the class.

Whereas I'm not particularly bright or naturally gifted (I have GREAT SPACIAL AWARENESS! Now that's a talent you want to inherit! :rofl: ) but I worked the system and now I have a stack of papers with the academic equivalent of 'Next Level Unlocked!', and now I get to do FUN THINGS that I love, and I get MONEY (which I quite like) and I got to meet some of the best people and my closest friends through following what I wanted to do. Nobody likes high school and nobody really learns anything. NOBODY. But it's worth sticking it out because it's just so much easier to get to the good stuff if you do.

And subsequently, in ONE year I will (Fingers crossed, competition has got FIERCE this last year or two) be doing my Masters in Japanese Anthropology at SOAS, taking ballet lessons and performing professionally. In FIVE years I will (Hopefully) be published, learning how to fly a hot air balloon and either researching my Doctorate at Todai or Kyodai (Aiming for Kyodai, but you know how it is) or taking my second degree, depending on whether I decide I really want to learn Engineering Science or not. In TEN years I want to be moving into my first family home, guest lecturing around the world, and writing for the BBC. I have PLANS, man :toothy:.

SweetOcarina
12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
As someone who is in a profession heavily linked to education, I shall say this: do not drop out. Get the best you can the first time. It's not fun to try and make it up.

Apsara
12-29-2010, 09:23 AM
1 years: Keep my fitness level where it is. Re-learn how to read and write better in my native language and re-learn Japanese. Start wearing broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen protection!! Complete this religious training. I will tough it out! Even if I'm not sure what I'm toughing out. Get my GED, which I'm in the middle of...yay!

5 years: Finish my will. Get a better job so I can pay my way through college. Buy a house. Visit Japan? Do that Buddhist thing to honor my grandfather, father and various elders who died away from their birth lands. >_< Because my worthless, forever reincarnating soul depends on it. Make sure my mother's "good fortunes in afterlife" are finalized so she doesn't have to worry when she reincarnates again. She thinks she's already failed to reach Nirvana.

10 years: Living half the year in Asia. Be more than half way finished with paying off the house. Is involved in fashion journalism or fashion economics. Publish a romance novel. Maintain my aging body.

nannyogg
12-29-2010, 09:40 AM

What about going through job corps and getting your GED and some job training? A lot of their programs are fairly quick (months) and best of all, it's free. It's open to up to age 24 and they pay your expenses and a small stipend while you're in the program. I know several people who have done it and it really helped jump start getting back on track (and one ended up with a full 4 year tuition scholarship to a state university through it). Anyway, just thought I'd mention it since a lot of people don't know that option exists.

DaemonForce
12-29-2010, 10:02 AM
The problem with that is that I got my GED in order to get Federal employment. I made the right choice paying my way through GED courses, getting good job experience with people and engines and making ~$75K during the past 4 years than waiting for a program to open up like one of my friends tried. He may have gotten a few tangible skills but I have better financial security and a stronger perception of this clockwork world.

I guess the Job Corps is a great option for those that have been spinning their wheels for a long time but if you're young and have a sharp mind, go get your GED. There's no excuse not to do it.

Pocketfightr
12-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I think I only have a 5 year-ish goal... I'd like to see myself in a happy relationship with a cute pet and sweet home. (Ok, that last part was actually a reference to DNA^2.)

SweetOcarina
12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
In five years time? I want to be on at least 30,000 pa and have a nice rented apartment and be able to not worry too much about money rather than penny pinching like I have to now. By the time I'm 30 I want to be on 45,000+.

sam vimes
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
My biggest life goal is not to be set on fire.

Cadmium Polyphony
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
My biggest life goal is not to be set on fire.

You and I are completely different people.

Flora88
12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
1: Working for a publisher (again) or possibly a video game company. I've got a few companies that want writing samples. Hopefully it will work out.
5: Working. In the publication process for the novel. Married.
10: Published novel. One kid. In that order.

sam vimes
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
You and I are completely different people.

I'm sorry, I was speaking metaphorically. I wouldn't mind being physically set on fire, but I don't want to be passionate about anything.

Yui
12-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry, I was speaking metaphorically. I wouldn't mind being physically set on fire, but I don't want to be passionate about anything.

Ah, if that's the case, within 5 years, I think I should aim to seek out you and In Cadmium and gift you with various pyrotechnic supplies. XD

acostory
12-29-2010, 02:17 PM
In 1 year, I'll be in school. In 5 years, I'll be in school. In 10 years, I'll be in school. Because as my mum says, I'll probably be in school for a long time, even though I hate it.

Kildread
12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Living.

I normally don't set goals that far ahead in the future, it allows me to consider the opportunities the present offers me.

nannyogg
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
For the next 16 years, I plan to be raising my kids, maintaining my career, and finding ways to amuse myself. Then I get to retire early, and I hope to either do Peace Corps or teach English abroad. That'll be awesome :)

Rainbowgasm
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
1 year: Moved to where my gf and friends are... showing my own horse and my gfs horse schooling... semi-full time job (prob for minium wage though) and taking some high school courses online to boost grade 11 marks and get what I missed the first time due to seemingly endless sickness...

5 years: Finished high school, taking a business management course in collage, keeping up showing my own horse and my gfs horse when I can, building towards getting a couple more horses, possibly showing for others depending on the demands of my collage courses...

10 years: running a medium scale horse boarding/show/small breeding barn, competing in at least level 4 dressage if not higher, and married- with all hope that it is to my current sweetheart...

HomeDepot
12-29-2010, 11:47 PM
1 year: In law school. Hopefully in DC living with my boyfriend. Finally working up the nerve to GM for my RPG group.
5 years: Working as a public defender. Hopefully making awesome costumes. Married?
10 years: Still a public defender. Still full of hope and faith in humanity. Buying a home. Still being an epic nerd. Maybe raising little epic nerds?

@Aspara, That is quite the burden to bear. Good luck

Kelley
12-30-2010, 02:06 AM
"Dropping out", in the sense of "not going through high-school" isn't necessarily synonymous with "not going to college" and "working a low-paying job until you tear your eyes out".

I have a friend who started college at 16 - without finishing high-school (or getting a GED, I'm not sure if she plans to do that just to have it or what, though). She's majoring in engineering and doing just fine. Her brother also didn't go to a conventional high-school and right now he's on winter break from MIT.

I know kids who dropped out and are struggling. It's not for everyone. I know kids who graduated with great grades and are struggling, and those who are doing well. Nothing is a guarantee. Anything can go wrong.

And for all this talk, it's important to remember that college actually isn't for everyone and you're not a terrible person if you don't go. Going to a trade school or undergoing an apprenticeship isn't evil, those are real jobs (that make real, spendable money) just like any other.

A degree or a salary isn't happiness, and if you don't get yourself into debt, you can easily live on minimum wage. Happiness might not be what you expect or what you've been told it should look like. :)

Axelai
12-30-2010, 02:10 AM
1 year- In college, working on my major.

5 years- Working as a tour guide at Disneyland during Summer, still working on a degree (masters)

10 years- English interpreter in Japan.

I'm a Japanese major

nannyogg
12-30-2010, 08:45 AM
And for all this talk, it's important to remember that college actually isn't for everyone and you're not a terrible person if you don't go. Going to a trade school or undergoing an apprenticeship isn't evil, those are real jobs (that make real, spendable money) just like any other.

A degree or a salary isn't happiness, and if you don't get yourself into debt, you can easily live on minimum wage. Happiness might not be what you expect or what you've been told it should look like. :)

I think staying out of debt and doing what makes you content are probably the two best pieces of advice people can take toward a good present and better future.

Brsis
12-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Having food, clean water and shelter at all times are pretty high up my list of life goals, to be sure.

Sadly, money helps with that a lot.

Sadly, having a recognised education helps with the money thing a lot.

totorolover
12-31-2010, 08:16 PM
own my own bakery.

right now taking culinary classes and raising my daughter while husband tries to start a auto repair business.

No time for costumes unfortunately but still time for conventions

ProudAznDouche
12-31-2010, 08:19 PM
My life goal? To make as many people on this board laugh as much as I can before my account gets capooted. Though I won't keep coming back like that OTHER Asian

Lithium Flower
01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
There has been so...so much that's happened to me since my parents divorce and moving around over the past couple years that I am finding it hard to try and imagine something 5 years down the road. Like I've come to a point where I have to try and take each day at a time and get by that right now, there's just no time for 5 years from now.

So my short term goals are to get a car and move the hell OUT. I am 21 and I don't think I can take much more of where I am right now living with my mother, grandmother, and creepy unstable uncle. All my friends (and boyfriend) like 30 minutes away from me anyway, and there's no apartments in my area that aren't old and run down from the 70's. I've gotten a job at a clothing store for a short time, hired for their remodeling phase and every dime I get I am socking away to get the hell outta this house and closer to my friends and on my own.

I swear I am going to hang myself with a short rope any day now.

FunnyValentine
01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
My life goal is to be the best that no one ever was. I will travel across the land searching far and wide.

totorolover
01-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Good luck lithium flower!! hang in there!!!

Yukikittie
01-02-2011, 01:28 AM
One year; I want to love myself and control my depression better. I don't know if I can be out of therapy in a year...but I am going to try.
Five years; I'll be in college, hopefully in Chicago. I hope to be achieving good grades and getting my degree in History.
Ten years; I hope to have a significant other, and be happy with my life.

DireKitty
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
1 year... IN SCHOOL! Weee!
5 years... STILL IN SCHOOL... but further along... doing my MASTERS!
10 years.... PROFIT! Have my own business.

Alternatively I would like to become a pirate.

onewingedjade
01-04-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm not anyone's parent, I swear! :P

Haha, still keeping up with these. It's interesting, and even more interesting that some people share similar goals to myself. And some wise words spoken here!

I hear the school thing, I was 'supposed' to graduate in May but y'know, the '4 year' degree thing is definitely an illusion, or wishful thinking.

DaemonForce
01-04-2011, 03:45 AM
I think staying out of debt and doing what makes you content are probably the two best pieces of advice people can take toward a good present and better future.
I don't like this. Even though I have no debt, I have no education let alone a future and I'm not content with who I am or what I've done with my life.
I swear I am going to hang myself with a short rope any day now.
Please don't. :(

Ineedaname9
01-04-2011, 05:17 AM
One year - In a university, I'm going to a community college right now... I changed degrees recently so it will take me another semester but I'll get there. >< My last one didn't need 6 credits for language so I need to make up for that.

Five years - uh...I have no clue. I hope to major in History when I get to university level and all I know is I want my 4-year degree. I don't know maybe I'll be in law school or be trying to earn a Masters in history.

Ten years - Not living with parents, hopefully in the mainland or something. Independent, making a living? Relationship, I don't know. As much as I want to say i'll be married to my current bf. I doubt it, I love him but he's older and much more ready to settle down....I'm not and I don't think he loves me enough to wait.

Hm...maybe I'm much to logical for a recent 19 year old...lol

Lithium Flower
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Please don't. :(

^^' Don't worry I won't. I know that sounded super dramatic! I just get frustrated with feeling like I am behind all my friends who are far more established then me.

onewingedjade
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Can't measure an atypical life with typical milestones. ^^

Annwel
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I want to become a manga character! Hell yeah!

... Oh wait, that wouldn't work out very well, now would it? ヽ(`Д)ノ Well, doesn't that suck.

Honestly, in about five years from now I see myself in university or college (maybe psychology, or such? Literature, or the arts? History? I have no idea of what to be interested, but those are things I may try for a class), living at my dad's still, working part-time at a Starbucks, and illustrating as a hobby (it'll take a while before I actually get somewhat good, know what I mean?). Still living in Vancouver, as a) it's where I was born, b) close to my main family I grew up with, and c) we've got lots of cool things going on here.

Oh, and graduated from high school... yes, yes, definitely graduated for sure. Really, though, I don't know what I want to do when I get older... so I just see myself in a safe place where I still have plenty of opportunities. But who knows? Maybe I'll get brave and ambitious and see myself doing something on stage that I'd love to do (wait, with a lot of luck, too).

So... yeah.

IAmShorty
01-06-2011, 10:40 PM
1 year-Finishing up my last year of Highschool (Thank all that is bright and beautiful) and fixing myself up since Ive been kinda a wreck for the past, oh, 4 years...

5 years- Attending USC or UCLA studying cinematic arts ^^

10 years- Jeez, its hard enough imagining 5 years.....Okay then, my dream would be to have gone to college, gotten my degree in cinema, working in the movie, tv industry, maybe made something of my acting dream, living in California or Washington, and,heck, maybe having found a significant other. I guess thats my dream

Oh yeah, and good luck, Yukikittie :)

StrawberrySiren
01-06-2011, 10:47 PM
My goal is to survive college. How's that?

LOL I'm a psych major studying to become a criminal profiler. I may possibly take on an art major as well in order to become an art teacher.