PDA

View Full Version : Medusa Soul Eater construction question...

DetentionMisfit
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Okay, if you know about Soul Eater, you're probably wondering, "Why the heck does someone have a sewing question about this?! It's so simple!" I've pretty much asked myself the same question. Don't worry.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I should make Medusa's clothes all one piece, or if I should make them a shirt and pants.

Here's a reference picture if you're confused: x (http://www.souleaterwallpaper.com/images/wallpapers/Medusa-Moon-328986.jpeg)

If I made them one piece, it would stay absolutely cannon to the anime, but I'm afraid I would need to make my own pattern and if I did it wouldn't hang right or it would bunch where I don't want it to bunch or something. Plus, it would be very difficult to get in and out of without putting a zipper in the back. I have nothing against zippers, (in fact, I find them actually kinda fun to sew) but it would bug me to have to put that under that hood.

If I made them two pieces, I would be able to use store-bought patterns (for the pants, at least) and I would be able to get it on and off very easily, but it might not look right having a break in the fabric right at my waist. (Or at least my OCD would kick in and it would bug me for the rest of eternity. XD)

Anyone have any suggestions? :/

(Oh, and any tips on how to get the white eye-like design on her hood on there would be great, too. :3)

Echosong
12-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I think you should do two peices. It would be easier to get out of for bathroomial (totally not a word) reasons, and I think it might make you cooler (as in the temperature((but also costume wise))) in the costume. I understand what you're saying about the whole OCD thing, but sometimes we as cosplayers have to sacrifice looks for practicality.

As for the white eye thing, what about cutting out of your choice in white fabrics, then sewing it onto the hood? Just make sure your hood is flat when you do this :) You could also use the iron-on stuff (it works wonders)

Kelley
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
You can find patterns for a "jumper", "romper" or "playsuit" - which is what you're looking for.

Personally, I wouldn't make it in two pieces if it's one piece, especially since making it one piece isn't impossible or terribly difficult. From the picture, it looks like you could put an invisible zipper down the centre-front. That would make it incredibly easy to get on and off and use the bathroom and all that. :)

For the white design, you could applique or reverse applique. Painting would be hard because the base is black and you'd have to do tons of coats to get it really white and even.

DetentionMisfit
12-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Hmm... you both make really good points! >__<;;

For the white design, you could applique or reverse applique. Painting would be hard because the base is black and you'd have to do tons of coats to get it really white and even.

What about screen printing for the hood? Isn't that paint a bit thicker, and would take less coats? I know how to make a custom design and I could probably do that, I just don't know how it would turn out.

Kelley
12-31-2010, 02:39 AM
You can, and you can use the same paint without screen-printing.

However, since it's only a surface layer, it will be prone to cracking - which will show up great when it's a black base with white paint. I wouldn't choose it since you can get a more durable result for the same effort (applique or reverse applique).

If you have any black tee-shirts with printed designs on them, you'll see this show up after wearing/washing.

Diren Gray
02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
I found a jumpsuit pattern that was meant for an adult animal costume? Not sure, but it was in a pattern book found at the fabric store. I had to modify it a bit because they wanted the zipper in the front, while I wanted it for the back. Realistically, there is no zipper, but there has to be one for you to get in or out.

As for the zipper/hood issue, I'm contemplating that I made the hood detachable thus: eliminates the problem of maneuvering the hood and the collar and zipper, but it also acts as camouflage for the zipper. Perhaps have the hood snap on~

I haven't finished, but I'll be using applique for the eye design on the hood. It's pretty much that you draw the design then cut it out and stick it to the hood. That way it's a nice look without lines from sewing or the mess of having to paint it on. I have seen others paint on the design and it can look good, but I'm not artsy enough for that.

Hope that helps!

Edit:

http://www.northbreeze.com/Patterns/Costumes/images/McCallsPattern8953-C-AdultAnimalCostumes.jpg

This isn't the exact pattern I used, I couldn't find a picture of mine; but, basically this is what it looked like. I had to do some modifying to the pattern so that there was no seam down the front of the costume.

Vexon Auroa
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Okay, if you know about Soul Eater, you're probably wondering, "Why the heck does someone have a sewing question about this?! It's so simple!" I've pretty much asked myself the same question. Don't worry.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I should make Medusa's clothes all one piece, or if I should make them a shirt and pants.

Here's a reference picture if you're confused: x (http://www.souleaterwallpaper.com/images/wallpapers/Medusa-Moon-328986.jpeg)

If I made them one piece, it would stay absolutely cannon to the anime, but I'm afraid I would need to make my own pattern and if I did it wouldn't hang right or it would bunch where I don't want it to bunch or something. Plus, it would be very difficult to get in and out of without putting a zipper in the back. I have nothing against zippers, (in fact, I find them actually kinda fun to sew) but it would bug me to have to put that under that hood.

If I made them two pieces, I would be able to use store-bought patterns (for the pants, at least) and I would be able to get it on and off very easily, but it might not look right having a break in the fabric right at my waist. (Or at least my OCD would kick in and it would bug me for the rest of eternity. XD)

Anyone have any suggestions? :/

(Oh, and any tips on how to get the white eye-like design on her hood on there would be great, too. :3)

What i did was used white craft foam & traced out the design then cut them out & hot glue them to the hood...

awesomeifyit
10-22-2011, 12:14 PM
what im doing for my medusa costume (and this is so easy)......
take plain black yoga capris, a black hoodie with the sleeves cut off, and white felt for the design on her hood. its so easy i literally just went to one store to get this all done and was done by the end of the day. you dont even have to sew it together and it looks like its one piece.