PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed - fabric choice for Ezio?

gcbillyownzme
12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I decided that for Sakura-con 2012 (Yeah, I want to take LOTS of time on this costume), I was going to be Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed 2. I have a slight dilemma though.

What kind of fabric should I use for his tunics? The white sleeves for the undershirt look it's just a plain white cotton shirt, so that's easily covered. For the grey parts however, what should I use?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/mstrswrd/Ezio_full_shot_1.jpg

Here's a reference picture! Sorry for the large size, but it shows the detailing.

Thanks for any help!

Kelley
12-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Grey looks like leather to me. Or your leather substitute of choice.

I'd be tempted to go for a cotton-linen for the shirt. I find it's more comfortable, but that's just me.

gcbillyownzme
12-31-2010, 01:44 AM
Thank you very much!
Hopefully I can find something to use that wouldn't be quite so heavy and hot (or expensive!) as something leather-like.
I'll try looking for a cotton-linen shirt!

Kelley
12-31-2010, 01:51 AM
If you're up to making it, a shirt like that is REALLY easy to make ! :)

If you're on a budget, you cam make one out of muslin for $5 or less. The pattern is just squares or rectangles, too.

I'm not sure what you could use that isn't leather or leather-like. I'm drawing a blank right now. : o

animefarie
01-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Personally I think the grey parts look kinda like a denim of sorts. Or that's what I would use. But I can see it being leather too, especially with the time period...but for budget sake...
EDIT: Boyfriend thinks it looks like a suede. There are a lot of micro synthetic suedes out there, for a relatively decent price.

gcbillyownzme
01-03-2011, 12:59 AM
8D Thanks a whole bunch for the help everyone! I REALLY appreciate it, since I'm really new to sewing.

o3o I never would have thought of using muslin, actually. I'll have to try this!

I'll check out the suede and see if it works!

Kcolrehs
01-03-2011, 01:59 AM
I hate to walk in and smack y'all over the head with a fish, but it's silk. Both the in game behavior and the replica worn by Giovanni in the movie shorts acted like silk. I would assume that it has some cotton interfacing for thickness, but I'm certain that it is silk. Suedes don't have that same veneer to them, and if it were a lightweight supple leather, the designs would have been tooled in, rather than embroidered.

gcbillyownzme
01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
That makes sense... I hadn't thought about silk at all... How expensive would it be to buy that much silk? o.o;;;

fev
01-03-2011, 09:56 AM
If you pan the camera close to Ezio, its definitely not leather..

I'm a complete dunce regarding terminology though, so instead i'll post a pic.
http://www.fevereon.com/costuming/ezio_ac2/ac2bonfire.jpg

The closest i found was sew classics white fabric from Joanns, then dyed it with a grey dye (the underlayers I dyed twice)... for the red stripes, choose something that won't bleed!!!!

I'm not touching silk (wallet nono), so I went with some smooth polyester (that has a little texture to it) for the undershirt. Budget!

been able to just toss the whole gear into the laundry when it needs washing to boot... (which actually adds to the "this had been used & passed down" ) thing lol

Lisu-chan
01-04-2011, 03:18 AM
If you think about it this way, it's Venice 1493... what kind of fabric is there around?

And if you look at Fev's pic I don't think it's silk either, since it's got a different texture to it then silk has. If you go by silk, think something along the line of taffeta (the real kind, not the cheaper ones) and since you're on a budget overall I really like a heavy cotton blend over it all, but that's just me. I'd avoid polyester for the reason it's not date-accurate, but if it LOOKS like it's date-accurate, then PLEASE go for it.

Print Fev's pic, and bring it to the fabric store, and either just check the fabrics yourself, or ask someone in the shop, and explain them what you're trying to do. Just remember it needs to be slightly heavy.

Good luck and loads of fun with your Ezio~!

*dodges fishes swung around by KColrehs*

fev
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Oh! Kcolrehs, dunno if you noticed, but the AC outfit in the short film was nothing like the ingame one worn.. its textured and the overall design is vastly different than the game.

Heres a bit of a side by side with a guy from Museum Replicas... They decided to do the Lineage film version instead of the ingame (prolly cuz cosplaymagic and all those chinese companies flooded the market with the ingame versions.. no AC stuff is on CM's site anymore, and no brotherhood stuff has showed up by them... hmmmm *chinscratch* C&D? )

I found that exact fabric at Joanns, that was used in the short film, on one of the large rolls in the furniture upholstery section. If i can find the swatch I'll post it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/shmupo/eziocosplay/fraywtf.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/shmupo/eziocosplay/fabric.jpg

And my bad lisu.. I used some polyester on the undershirt that wasn't shiny for budget and the fact i like to toss things in the washer.. the tunic itself was sew classics white with a very light grey dyeing. it turned out looking really close to the ingame.

Lisu-chan
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Haha like I said, if it LOOKS like it, it's cool! XD I never meant insulting your fabric choice, because it's a good one!
I'm pretty sure my cotton is some synthetic blend as well, point is, as long as it looks like it, it doesn't really matter. But if you're starting to look for stuff, it's easier to find what you're looking for if you look for fabric a character might wear, I think? That's why I suggested it. ^_^

And yes Lineage and in-game is very different. I liked the fray so I used it on mine. Sort of...

gcbillyownzme
01-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Okay, so some heavy fabric, probably a heavy cotton, or the sew classics and dye it? Sounds good. xD Thanks for the all the advice, everyone!

I was thinking that it'd be some time of heavy fabric since it'd need to be able to protect but still be really moveable in... xD And machine washable would definitely be nice. I really appreciate all the help! I'll check the fabric store for once I get enough cash.

fev
01-05-2011, 09:25 AM
lol Lisu, I didn't think you were being insulting at all.. I had realized in my earlier post that i forgot to finish a sentence, and it looked like i said that i used polyester for the whole thing XD

junkeemunky
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
In-game references definitely make it more obvious that it's fabric - especially the hood. That being said, you should look for a fabric with a bit of texture, maybe a slightly more coarse weave. Not something smooth or shiny. I know everyone wants comfort in their outfits and that often means lightweight, but you're not going to want anything TOO light for the grey tunic. You don't want to worry about tons of messy wrinkles from daily wear, and also it'll help keep the longer parts from folding in on themselves and looking messy. I really suck at remembering fabric names, but just go to a store and feel with your hands what seems like a good fit.

Also, I don't see the need to dye anything. The red stripes can be achieved by using strips of red fabric or even bias tape between each panel of your grey tunic. This would make it easier also to attach whatever you choose to use for the border of said red stripes - lace, fringe, etc. etc.

The Hag
01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
... if it were a lightweight supple leather, the designs would have been tooled in, rather than embroidered.

Leather can be embroidered, especially if it is lightweight and supple. Though I wouldn't use leather for this.

If you think about it this way, it's Venice 1493... what kind of fabric is there around?

...but if it LOOKS like it's date-accurate, then PLEASE go for it.

Very much both of these!

Okay, so some heavy fabric, probably a heavy cotton, or the sew classics and dye it? Sounds good. xD Thanks for the all the advice, everyone!

Sew Classic is just a JoAnn's brand name. They use it for a lot of different fabrics (i.e. Sew Classic Knits, Sew Classic Bottomweights, etc.) Maybe fev can give you more details as to which one specifically he used.

Me, FWIW, I'd use a medium weight cotton or linen for the shirt - something that's a little flowy. For the hooded paneled coat thing, I'd be tempted to use a light to medium weight wool or wool blend to get that nice drape on the hood and then interface/interline the heck out of the rest of it to get the right weight and stiffness. A heavy cotton or cotton/poly twill would probably also be fine, but some twills might be too stiff for the hooded part.

Good luck!

gcbillyownzme
01-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks! I really appreciate the help from everyone!

megami580
01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't know if this helps, but for my son's costume for the jacket I used a white linen look a like(its cheaper than real linen). Instead of using lining fabric I used red peachskin fabric, but that's because I already had a bunch left over from another project. If you use lighter weight fabrics you may want to use interfacing, that way it won't be too loose and drapey. For the fringe of the jacket I cut strips of white denim, and then frayed it by hand and red grosgrain ribbon. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Here's his costume if it helps: http://megami580.deviantart.com/#/d322t29

gcbillyownzme
01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Awww, your son is really cute!

:D I really appreciate the advice. I'll look into it! I was wonder what to use for that.

charmedxxone
02-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, if you're trying for historical accuracy, then you're limited in fabric choice. In the 1400s in Europe, wool was the most popular fabric, while linen and hemp were also widely used.

IMHO, I think his outer-tunic would be a hemp-like material (in-game), just judging from how it moves in the trailers and during gameplay. It's too flowy to be something as heavy as wool, so I'm thinking hemp or a linen-hemp blend.

His under-tunic would be something akin to a light linen fabric, while the brown (obviously) is leather.

This is all in-game speculation, however, and I suggest checking out the hemp/linen-hemp if you're going for period accuracy.

:)

gcbillyownzme
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
So many suggestions! Haha, I really appreciate it.

I'll keep that in mind! If I can afford to, I want to make it as accurate as possible. I'll search around for a fabric like that!