PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Resolutions for 2011!

Tonksie
01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Happy New Year everyone!

I hereby resolve to start my Blizzcon costumes in January (this weekend!) and not procrastinate til June like last year.

I resolve not to pick costumes that are way over my head and get super stressed while working on them. I also resolve that I am not allowed to criticize myself and feel guilty/lazy/disappointed because I'm doing costumes that better fit my time/stress allowances.

I resolve to improve my techniques, and since I'm starting in January, have time to not settle for mistakes that will drive me crazy (and be seriously uncomfortable) while I'm wearing it.

Insert standard weight loss resolution here (15 lbs before blizzcon, but with tone).

I resolve that 2011 be the best year of cosplay yet!

Anyone else have any resolutions?

Reformed Tomboy
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Neat idea for a thread. Here's a few I came up with:

I resolve not to procrastinate.
So far I'm doing ok, I've finished the test I mentioned in the other thread and it came out great. I should be able to make the order I need in the next few weeks and then get down to business.

I resolve to have fun exploring my design.
I received a lot of critiques about my Ysera design and I'm taking much of it into consideration. I like the idea in my head and I hope to be able to create it with the help of others input. For example, I hope to be purple this year lol

I resolve to be proud of my work regardless of others comments.
I received a lot of.. critiques. Regardless, I'm having fun doing what I want. So there :P

I resolve to practice on my posing.
Ugh.

Happy New Year Everyone!

SlaaneshDevotee
01-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I somehow stumbled onto a youtube video that included both of your costumes. It got me really interested in cosplay so for 2011 I'm going to make an effort to attend Blizzcon with a costume.

Also, your costumes were amazing and are a goal of how good I'd like to be someday. Anyways I'm off to research more about how to make armors and the like. I'm thinking Blood Elf Death Knight.

dbchan
01-01-2011, 11:04 PM
I resolve to learn how to wire LED's this year.

I resolve to work with better, stronger materials. Wonderflex, in particular.

I resolve not to underestimate the capabilities of craft foamies.

I have to work on my posing too! and of course, the obligatory weight loss as mentioned.

Hm. I'm afraid I won't know more until I decide more specifics about my costumes.

LalaFTL
01-02-2011, 01:43 AM
I resolve to try some new things and not get discouraged with them if I suck at them with this year's costume.

I resolve not to procrastinate.
(This one tends to never stick... >_>)

I resolve to work out and get some mad toning action so I can flex at people when I heft my axe.

I RESOLVE TO BE HEALTHY AND NOT CATCH THE DAMN PLAGUE AGAIN THIS YEAR AT THE CON! That was SO AWFUL.

Good luck to everyone! :D

Tonksie
01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
oh man, definitely adding the practice posing to my resolutions. I just feel so silly >.<

Welcome Slaanesh! The cosplay.com forums are awesome for tutorials, etc. Feel free to ask any questions! People in general are super helpful around here.

@Reformed: People always critique the winners of the contest. My guess is that it has more to do with your win than your actual costume, and for every person that critiqued you, there were probably 100 people who thought that your costume was awesome. I loved the creativity of it and your details (oh those gloves and that TAIL) were AMAZING. You should absolutely be proud of your work!

dbchan
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
@Reformed: People always critique the winners of the contest. My guess is that it has more to do with your win than your actual costume, and for every person that critiqued you, there were probably 100 people who thought that your costume was awesome. I loved the creativity of it and your details (oh those gloves and that TAIL) were AMAZING. You should absolutely be proud of your work!

SECONDED!

Having seen them up close, those gloves were absolutely amazing. and, you were nice enough to chat with me in line. <3

Nozze
01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I resolve not to procrastinate and budget correctly. Then maybe I'll actually get something finished. ;x

I resolve not to pick ideas that are WAY over my head.

I resolve to become well-adversed in a technique. Thinking about making my first one leatherworking.

Outside of cosplay but certainly cosplay related is the weight loss resolution, though mine is a bit strict; I resolve to get dat sixpack and get a 90+ on a personal run of the Air Force fitness test. Wee!

I resolve to do more research before buying materials and picking my cosplays. This will result in less procrastination and better budgeting, too. :P

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming year!

essex1984
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Ok, had to toss up a post. I have taken the last 2 months or so off from costume and cosplay construction (not planing...)

I resolve to expand on my useable materials and push my self.

I resolve to focus on one costume rather then 4....

I resolve to finaly accept that although months of my time and effort will be placed in to this costume blizz will still take less then 30 secs to judge me :) (guess thats life)

Also good luck to all and I cant wait to see these boards pick back up and the disscussons to start again.

°Kamui°
01-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Hey! :)

I resolve to improve my skills, to learn new techniques and to work with new materials, especially to work more professional and clean.

I resolve to lose my Christmas fat again and to be a sexy and fit Demon Hunter

I resolve to never give up and to manage all the costumes I planned

And I resolve to answer every question, no matter how many the will be, to keep on writing and filming tutorials and to help other people with my work!

Good luck to all of you! I'm sure you will be able to manage everything to wish! :)

ZerinaX
01-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I resolve to not leave things to the last minute. I really felt like I was rushing (and stressing...) last year because I did a lot of smaller crafting sessions instead sitting down and focusing and finishing early.

I resolve to learn a new crafting technique.

I resolve to do something awesome and have fun doing it!

alicetehfaerie
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I resolve to listen to my trusted friends and Mario when they tell me that a costume looks good, instead of stressing over the details! (We all know that when you build the costume, you will always see the 'flaws')

I resolve to learn new techniques (and perfect them!)

I resolve to make a timeline and stick to it (and make sure people working with me on something are sticking to it too!) so that I don't have to quit raiding two months before Blizzcon (or any convention, but mostly Blizzcon) so that I can finish a costume in time!

Oh, and I also resolve to get our crafting area organized! Right now, all of our paints, wood, tools, materials, etc, are sitting in boxes in the dining room... boo!

Pocket X
01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
I resolve to get in shape and lose some pounds for the next costume.

I resolve to do a costume where people are aware I'm not a dude (I HAVE BOOBS) .

I also resolve (rare for cosplayer, but eh) to do an easier, well done costume that does NOT take up a majority of my time between now and Blizzcon--SO I can also finish my book.

I also resolve to make/meet even more friends at Blizzcon in the cosplay world, AND plan a crazier and even cooler cosplay meet-up dinner thing this year.... And try not to end up running the photo shoot again... >_<

I also resolve NOT to paint Alice's legs....maybe >_>;;

krystlejo42
01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Awesome post!

I resolve to lose the weight I gained since returning to the states.

I resolve to improve upon the techniques that I know, and learn a couple new ones in the process.

I resolve that I will NOT RAGE at people that are complete jerks to cosplayers (no matter how bad I may want to). :P

I also resolve to have my costume(s) finished at least a week before the con. I do not want to be up all night again the night before trying to finish sewing something together. Lol

RedeadDie
02-04-2011, 11:29 AM
A month late, but I'll post them anyways!

Not really focused on losing weight, but creating muscle within my upper arms and working on getting a firmer stomach with some abs for my Varian cosplay. (Also, firming out my thighs as well.)

Finish King Varian cosplay by August.

Save money to attend Blizzcon 2012.

WR_Pouncival
02-13-2011, 04:28 AM
I resolve to not procrastinate and actually finish my costume for BlizzCon this year.

I resolve to actually do my cosplay work out a minium of 2-3 times a day to get back into proper shape instead of doing it "whenever I remember".

I resolve to not be so self conscious when both choosing costumes and wearing costumes (you know, maybe enjoy myself a little more at conventions?).

Lastly, I resolve to be more active on the Cosplay.com boards so I don't find the new year's resolutions thread in Febuary.