PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Festival 2011

CelestialShadow
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
For those who are interested, Wonder festival will be happening Febuary 6 in Makuhari Messe (same building as TGS) and cosplayers are welcome to attend. The official site is here: http://jin.jcic.or.jp/en/anime/animenews/2010_11_25/

Just as a brief synopsis of the event though its meant as a showcase and selling market for Garage Kits (the nice sculpted anime models/figures)

As far as I know its only going for one day....

I plan to go and cosplay some sort of Marvel Characters from the Bishoujo figuring series released by Kotobukiya. So far its a toss up between Ms. Marvel and The dark Pheonix (costume color version)

If I find out any more news I will post it here. I you are planning to go as well then please post =)

mixaka
01-03-2011, 05:28 AM
I might be interested in this! Not sure what would be appropriate to wear though. Probably Asuna from Negima. A school girl should work well for a garage kit show, yeah?

kMisuzu
01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Wanfesu is usually a majority of current trends. Things like Touhou, Vocaloid and series like OreImo and Ika Musume will be popular. Of course, there is no shortage of minority and niche to be found.

If you're trying to cosplay something that will be on display somewhere. Check industry sites, like goodsmile company, for what upcoming figures they'll be showcasing or announcing. Also, individual blogs often report, and speculate, on potential releases.

However, I wouldn't restrict myself to these things for cosplay. You couldn't likely find everything available at wanfesu in one visit.

TheMightyWidget
01-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Wow, just look at the goodsmile website and saw a Micheal Jackson figure they have planned for April. Wish I could dance and had a costume then I'd be so in character XD

*sigh* Why are dark skinned people such a minority? Maybe we'll catch on soon.

Tsumanne
01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll be there. I've been to Wonder Festival a few times.
Makuhari Messe Convention Center Guide/Calendar (English)
(http://www.m-messe.co.jp/cgi-bin/bin/event/event_view_en.cgi)
Wonder Festival Official Site (Japanese Only) (http://www.kaiyodo.co.jp/wf/)

Any form of cosplay is welcome. In fact, Wonder Festival has fewer restrictions than any other major convention in Japan, or the US for that matter. Both prop weapons (I've seen massive ones) as well as real weapons are permitted. Replica guns are also permitted. The theme of Wonder Festival is "Craftsmanship" so cosplay and props fit right in and are highly encouraged. The cosplay area is huge with lots of room so costumes with wings or are otherwise over-sized are perfectly fine.

Masonkun
01-05-2011, 03:21 AM
i could go but i have absolutely no idea what to wear for a costume or have very many for that matter. I could do zero kiryu again...

Tsumanne
01-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, just look at the goodsmile website and saw a Micheal Jackson figure they have planned for April. Wish I could dance and had a costume then I'd be so in character XD

Actually Michael Jackson cosplay would go over really well in Japan. I saw a Japanese Micheal Jackson cosplayer once and he was very popular. He had the poses too. Was good stuff.

CelestialShadow
01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
well i guess it been decided that I will cosplay as Ms. marvel this year. Which I am happy about becuase its the cheaper of the two costumes to make. I think I will even try to make the fireballs that go around her hands too (if you have never seen the action figure her hands glow with fire/plasma/energy) I just need to figure out how to make it transparent.....Anyone know how to make transparent prop fire balls lol?

Oh yes, we also have two more people coming! If anyone remembers Ruri and her friend from comiket, the guatamalan girls, they are coming too. I passed the information along to them. This is shaping up to be a fun and hopefully hassel free event. I only wish I had time to make a bigger costume since we can do that there lol but alas there is no time and I need to save money for my vacation to the islands in the sun known as the Philippines.

kiratsukai
01-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Re: firehands.

Maybe try acrylic molding? The 100 yen shop locally sells sheets of acrylic plastic and Tokyu Hands sometimes sells the moldable acrylic spheres. It takes some experimenting, but you can use a torch/sautering iron and and a regular gas stovetop to shape, soften and mold plastic into flames. COSMODE had a tutorial on Black Rock Shooter eyeflames about... 3 issues ago? You may be able to find that 2nd hand at a book store. I didn't buy the issue, so I can't scan it for you :( Looked badass though.

gixxer
01-09-2011, 08:14 AM
ah .. only two days before my flight back to Malaysia .. i can go ! YAY but cant cosplay tho because right now, my armor might be already half way back to Malaysia ... T_T i want to cosplay as Rorschach from Watchmen but currently im a little tight on the budget department.. ahaha ..

anyway, meet u guys there .. i will go as a photographer ... not a good one tho .. hope can exchange cosplay card with the rest of u guys ..

and owh .. if its ok for u guys , i would like to take a group photo of u guys and say anything you wanna say to encourage cosplayers in malaysia and what its like to cosplay in japan , etc ..

Tsumanne
01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
i can go ! YAY but cant cosplay tho because right now, my armor might be already half way back to Malaysia...

Ahh, your armor would have been perfect, you can use your gun at Wonder Fes too ><.

I'm sure you'll have fun anyway. Lot's of stuff to look at that doesn't require kanji!
And a group photo sounds good to me.

gixxer
01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
i already sent to my friend right after comiket who supposed to send it but he didnt sent it yet.supposed to sent it via ship last week.

yesterday night, after hearing some horror stories about how they handle stuff, im having second thought. My armor is pretty much fragile and there's my Comiket Winter loot inside of it ... ><"

gixxer
01-14-2011, 03:55 AM
i have a question to whoever have cosplayed at WonderFest before. A friend told me that the cosplay area is small and it might be not worth it for me to cosplay there and i better took picture of the halls instead ... is it small ? usually how many cosplayers are there at WonFest ?

-Edo-
01-14-2011, 05:44 AM
I'll be able to make it, I should be there with Zaku. Lets meet up!

gixxer
01-14-2011, 06:17 AM
I'll be able to make it, I should be there with Zaku. Lets meet up!

that statement just changes everything .. another armored comrade ... WOOT !

kiratsukai
01-14-2011, 06:35 AM
T^T No fair. I'll be missing all the fun.

Nekomatamaru
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
i have a question to whoever have cosplayed at WonderFest before. A friend told me that the cosplay area is small and it might be not worth it for me to cosplay there and i better took picture of the halls instead ... is it small ? usually how many cosplayers are there at WonFest ?

To tell my idea, it is not small enough to make it not worthwhile to cosplay there.
Of course, it is good idea for you to go there as a general attendee if you have not been to WonderFestival before. It is not a cosplay event, and the atmosphere is little different from those of other events. Wonderfestival was one of the events where cosplayers had been suffering from bad reception from other attendees.

It is, however, not crowded, has little restrictions for costumes and fairly big cosplay area, and it has been attracting cosplayers.

I do not think it is not worthwhile to cosplay there, but the halls are so interesting that I do not cosplay there every time.

Tsumanne
01-14-2011, 10:42 AM
I've been to wonder festival several times. I was at the last Wonder Festival Summer 2010.

The cosplay area is very very large. There are less cosplayers at Wonder Festival than other events, but I find it fun that way. You are never crowded so large costumes work very well at WF. Large props are not only allowed, but encouraged. Weapons are allowed. Even real weapons. There is a lot of freedom at WF that you can't find at other events in Japan.

Also the WF website openly invites cosplayers. http://www.kaiyodo.co.jp/wf/saiji.html The add even advertises that it has less restrictions and encourages cosplay that uses props.

The focus of Wonder Festival is "Craftsmanship". Cosplay fits in with this very well and WF is trying to increase the number of cosplayers.

Personally I enjoy it.

-Edo-
01-15-2011, 01:18 AM
that statement just changes everything .. another armored comrade ... WOOT !

Yes, we can compare construction techniques :geek:

Cool well I'm looking forward to it, much better putting on the costume in winter, summer is retardedly hot, didn't dare wear it outside during Comiket over the summer. Even in the air conditioned environment of TFT it was getting hot in there.

Kiratsukai if you can't make it out this time there will be other opportunities!

gixxer
01-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Yes, we can compare construction techniques :geek:

Cool well I'm looking forward to it, much better putting on the costume in winter, summer is retardedly hot, didn't dare wear it outside during Comiket over the summer. Even in the air conditioned environment of TFT it was getting hot in there.

Zaku was one of my deserted projects last year because i dont want to make it using fiberglass. It will be very heavy. So am looking forward to meeting you guys ..especially those armored guys.:D

I know the feeling. In Malaysia, its summer all year long. we dont have winter or any other season. Its really hard to cosplay armored characters even with the hall AC is on. Last comiket summer, i actually brought over my Halo3 Marine armor. It was made by Polyurethane foam. It was so hot and humid, the armor actually melted. Decided to bring my fiberglassed armor for Comiket Winter and im glad i did. Three layers of clothing just never feel so heavenly . Hahaha.

The cosplay area is very very large. There are less cosplayers at Wonder Festival than other events, but I find it fun that way. You are never crowded so large costumes work very well at WF. Large props are not only allowed, but encouraged. Weapons are allowed. Even real weapons. There is a lot of freedom at WF that you can't find at other events in Japan.
very large ? hmm. well im not really interested in figures so i better spend my last few days in Japan cosplaying with Japan's comrades :) .. too bad i cant bring my weapons props. I miss my sniper rifle :razz:

T^T No fair. I'll be missing all the fun.
aww .. not going ? i was looking forward to see you again ...

ruri-hiwatari
01-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Hii I'm Ruri, me and Nanami are comig I think In Gundam SEED outfits jajaja. Cool there is going to be a Zaku *0*.... Hope to see everyone there...

Just a question there are changing rooms there right XD, sorry for the dumb questions but, I read that is not a cosplay event so I was just wondering jajaja

CelestialShadow
01-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Frankly the less crowded it is the more happy I will be, it will be a nice change of pace from comiket ^^

Well I have fabric on order for my costume but if it will arrive in time is up for debate so I am going to put together a second costume just in case, maybe I will just wear both! (second costume will be Lucia from DMC2, complete with badass curved daggers)

I really hope it arrives on time.....

I have no idea where the changing rooms are so I am going to have to have someone show me. Tsumanne, that probably means you....

Is there a time when we all want to meet up like before the event and go in together? Should we come a bit early?

gixxer
01-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Ah yes .. I supports CelestialShadow idea on meetup before and go in together !

P/S : Real damage spotted. cant repair it since i cant fiberglass it here. will just add withering to the damage to make it err ..damaged .. Gonna change the LED's and add more brighter ones ..

ruri-hiwatari
01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
yeah I think it would be a good Idea to meet before, after that is to difficult, to try to find each other
^0^

Tsumanne
01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Since it's only one day and 10:00am-5:00pm I'm going to get there around 9:00ish (gives some spare time in case running late). The easiest place to meet would be near the entrance where you buy your ticket to get in. Can't miss anyone that way. Plus can wander to the changing rooms together. Last summer the changing room was in International Hall 2.

The event is pretty easy to find.

Tokyo Station ---> Keiyo Line ---> Kaihin Makuhari Station. Walk 5 minutes you're there :)

The Keiyo Line Local (approx 30+ minutes) and Rapid (approx 15+ minutes) both stop at Kaihin Makuhari. The Musashino Line also stops at Kaihin Makuhari, but I'm not familiar with that line.

http://www.m-messe.co.jp/en/access/img_access/access_walk.jpg

CelestialShadow
01-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Cool okay I will meet you at 9 ish then =)

Gixxer, doesnt damage make the costume look more authentic? ^^

gixxer
01-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Gixxer, doesnt damage make the costume look more authentic? ^^

yes but .. err .. those real damage is cracks .. must repair it .. will get some other stuff as temp repair ...

p/s: i got ur PM but i cant reply since ur inbox is full ><"

CelestialShadow
01-21-2011, 03:48 AM
ACKKKK sorry! Okay I fixed it!

CelestialShadow
01-21-2011, 03:53 AM
For everyone coming, you can text me at celestial_otaku@softbank.ne.jp
I know the layout of the building pretty well since I was there for TGS so if you get lost on the way drop me a line, I always have my phone on and I always answer texts asap. I can come collect you if you get lost on the premesis. I just dont know where the dressing room is so Tsumanne will show us the way!

gixxer
01-28-2011, 06:44 AM
so guys .. WonFest is just around the corner. where do u guys planning to meet up at 9am ?

Tsumanne
01-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm going to wait by the main entrance to WF from 9:00-10:00. It's really easy to find. Just follow the map above or the crowd. Both work lol.

gixxer
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
ryokai !

Kxela
01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey dudes, I'm gonna be going to wonfes as well! :D
This'll be my first time cosplaying in Japan and second time going to Wonfes.
I'll be going as Katsuragi Keima from The World God Only Knows :3

I'm also a buddy of Gixxer and will be attending with him. Hope to seeyall there!

kiratsukai
01-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey dudes, I'm gonna be going to wonfes as well! :D
This'll be my first time cosplaying in Japan and second time going to Wonfes.
I'll be going as Katsuragi Keima from The World God Only Knows :3

I'm also a buddy of Gixxer and will be attending with him. Hope to seeyall there!

Nooooooooooooooooo~~~~~~~ oh, it stings! It stings!

I'm working on putting together an Elsie costume now *sniffles*

I'm SO jealous of you guys. But I can't afford to go up there again so soon after Comiket and I wouldn't be ready for it either way :(

Have tons of fun and take pictures!

Kxela
01-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Nooooooooooooooooo~~~~~~~ oh, it stings! It stings!

I'm working on putting together an Elsie costume now *sniffles*

I'm SO jealous of you guys. But I can't afford to go up there again so soon after Comiket and I wouldn't be ready for it either way :(

Have tons of fun and take pictures!

Wahhhhhhhh that'd have been so cool if you made it with your costume!!! ><
maybe at a future convention...

You can count on us for pics ;D

gixxer
01-31-2011, 12:02 AM
@Kiratsukai : *pats pats* u can still go future cons.. for me, im already leaving back to Malaysia after Wonfest .. T_T . good luck on ur costume u're making !

@Kxela : wassup bro ! i see u updated ur profile page ehh .. hehe

@Tsumanne : is cosplayer allowed to go into the exhibition hall in costume to take pictures ? And is there any rules about helmet,mask like the one in Comiket ? Where u need to open ur helmet/mask everything u walk ?

CelestialShadow
01-31-2011, 02:21 AM
One more question Tsumanne, is there a seperate charge for the dressing room aside from the entry fee? If I already asked this i apologize ....

Tsumanne
01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
@gixxer
You can go into the event area in costume no problem. About walking with your helmet on I'm not sure. WF doesn't have the giant rule list like comiket does so I can't really check. I've seen other people with costumes that used helmets/visors, but I can't remember if they were able to just walk around with them on or not.

@Cele:
I don't think so... I remember being charged to cosplay back when WF was at Tokyo Big Site (like Y500), but I honestly can't remember paying anything extra this past summer at Makuhari Messe. There's no cosplay book/pass thing like at comiket either. The only thing I remember paying extra for at Makuhari Messe was for the bag storage room.

gixxer
02-01-2011, 01:30 AM
ah great..i can take photos of the figures as well !

btw, anyone wouldnt happen to have a SOCOM sidearm bbgun or something that i can borrow for Wonfest ? i could just buy one but i cant bring it back to malaysia. even if i can make it tru the airport, its illegal to own a bbgun in Malaysia. T_T

-Edo-
02-03-2011, 03:40 AM
I worked out my schedule and will be down on Sunday with friends, probably Zaku but maybe another robot, gotta check with friends. I'll be down around noon so keep an eye out for you guys.

@gixxer you were asking about building techniques, I am helping Goldy put together a youtube armor construction channel, I put a link for it in my signature so you can check it out there. Its just getting started so we've only put up a couple videos and needs some work but they may help.

gixxer
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
@gixxer you were asking about building techniques, I am helping Goldy put together a youtube armor construction channel, I put a link for it in my signature so you can check it out there. Its just getting started so we've only put up a couple videos and needs some work but they may help.

i just checked his video out. and ><" ... that are beyond my skill ... T_T . and im not sure what are those vinyl are and where can i get it back home. back home we have really really limited access to materials . not even those Craft-foam.

im looking forward to meet u guys ..

btw, is Goldy coming too ?

kiratsukai
02-03-2011, 07:48 PM
gix: you can buy vinyl, plether or "enamel" at any fabric or craft store. It's sold on bolts along with all of the other fabric and is pretty easy to come by. Goldy's armor construction techniques involve covering urethane sheets (though craft foam or "lionboard" will work too) with vinyl for a more attractive and even finish rather than painting them.

Standard spray paint melts craft foam ~ so coloring foam armor can be kind of a bitch :P Most cosplayers get around it by covering the pieces with shiny fabrics that mimic the finish of plastic or metal.

-Edo-
02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Gix - We can talk more about construction when we meet up.

btw, is Goldy coming too ?

I'll try to drag him out.

gixxer
02-04-2011, 02:44 AM
gix: Goldy's armor construction techniques involve covering urethane sheets (though craft foam or "lionboard" will work too) with vinyl for a more attractive and even finish rather than painting them.

i still dont know what the heck is lionboard .. haha ..

I'll try to drag him out.

Please try. i didnt know that u actually know Goldy. He is like our (me and my armored buddies back in Malaysia) idol . His work is mind blowing. U guys are the one inspired us all ..

-Edo-
02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
i still dont know what the heck is lionboard .. haha ..

Its like a urethane foam board, you can get a wide variety of it at Tokyu Hands. Maybe its easier to take a look at it up close.

Please try. i didnt know that u actually know Goldy. He is like our (me and my armored buddies back in Malaysia) idol . His work is mind blowing. U guys are the one inspired us all ..

Its all him, I'm just learning. I'll let him know your looking forward to meeting him!

gixxer
02-04-2011, 03:00 AM
yeah .. looking forward to meet you and that armor. Im really curious about that armor. YAY !

CelestialShadow
02-04-2011, 03:35 AM
Its only two more days away, whos ready? *notice how I am not raising my hand*
I need to make a mad last minute run to Nippori to get supplies to finish my costume! D=

gixxer
02-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Nippori .. thats just a station away from im staying .. ahaha .. btw, CelestialShadow, is there any hardware store or shops i can get dark silver and flatblack spray cans

CelestialShadow
02-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah actually you can get some in Kita Senju,(3 stations away from nippori on the joban line) right outside the station is a Marui Department store, floor seven is a GIANT craft store chain called Tokyu Hanzo, I get all of my hardware there. They have pretty much everything you can think of =)

-Edo-
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Good to meet you gixxer, Tsumanne and Kxela. Cheers for coming out for dinner, gixxer and Kxela made the right choice and didn't get the large spaghetti, having a bucket of pesto spaghetti left over make me feel bad. :lost:

CelestialShadow, I heard you and a friend were around and fruitlessly looked for you for a bit but the place was so massive. On getting back I noticed you had your cell e-mail address up in the thread and I was like "doh!"

I liked how they had the cosplay space set up at Wonder Fest in there in behind, better than TGS where your wedged in between the 2 buildings. At least this way you can get some shrubbery behind you for pics, I think the first while we were out there we were in the alley between the buildings and found ourselves posing in front of garbage dumpsters :confused:

I'll start up a new thread about that Tsukuba event next weekend and try to post as much information as I can over the week.

gixxer
02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Hey Hey .. i just woke up from a quick nap. Didnt get any sleep one day before so i pretty much a zombie on high octane fuel (lots of energy drinks). I had fun .. nice meeting with all of u guys. Sorry i didnt met u guys after u guys goes in because its really hard to walk in it so i decided just stay outside. Tsumanne, u are awesome ! maybe i will join as military officer for Comiket Summer.

Edo , Goldy : what can i say .. im speechless. i dont even know what to say except bashing my own country cosplayers . BWAHAHA. Im looking forward to see u guys on CosFest in Singapore. Do give me more details on the EVA thingy for Cosfest. I maybe can work something out with my armor comrades. Owh, thanks for the ride..

Guys, i will flying back to Malaysia on Tuesday and i WILL come back for Comiket . so instead of goodbye , SEE U GUYS AT COMIKET SUMMER in august ! and owh, can someone send me a copy of the original file for the group photo we took next to the Virtual On robot guy ? I will put watermark to your blog or name. TQ !

CelestialShadow
02-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I`ve written up a journal entry for this, thanks everyone who attended. I hope you all had a great time, I know I did =)

Those of you who could not make it...try again next year ^^ its totally worth it =)

Here is the lowdown: http://cosp-alliance.blogspot.com/

Kxela
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
whoops, forgot- I did a blog post about wonfes as well!
check it out :D

http://kxela.blogspot.com/2011/02/wonder-festival-winter-2011-report.html