PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future Cosplay

UC77
01-04-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm gonna be completely out of place and go as Marty McFly for one of the days of Anime Expo 2011, so I was wondering if anyone else here has ever or plans to cosplay as a Back to the Future character? :skidude:

Flora88
01-04-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm gonna be completely out of place and go as Marty McFly for one of the days of Anime Expo 2011, so I was wondering if anyone else here has ever or plans to cosplay as a Back to the Future character? :skidude:

YOU GO, BOY!!!!!

This is possibly the best idea I've seen here in quite sometime. I'd totally Doc Brown it up with you if we lived close to each other.

...Not sure why I automatically go for Doc Brown rather than Jennifer, but hey! What matters is that I support this, dude. I support this 100%

UC77
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Every convention needs a bit of Back to the Future, and the fact that it's Anime Expo is no exception. If you wanted to be Doc Brown for the Expo then by all means do it. It'll provide the con with a much needed burst of 1.21 gigawatts of cosplay. :skidude:

KUJO3423
01-12-2011, 02:15 AM
*two thumbs up for cosplaying an awesome movie*

gixxer
01-14-2011, 07:25 AM
go for it marty !

Cherazor
01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Back to the future cosplays = awesome. One day I might do one myself, but I have no idea when that day'll come. XD

Ita
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Haha, awesome idea for a cosplay! Don't forget to post pictures when you're done : )

KUJO3423
01-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Haha, awesome idea for a cosplay! Don't forget to post pictures when you're done : )

Totally agree!! *wonders how hard it would be to cosplay Jennifer McFly*

MagiFox
01-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Ha! I had ideas of posting up this topic once, but never was sure if it would get lost in the list of threads or die out. This movie trilogy is made of awesome. :D

I actually cosplayed Marty last Halloween as a last minute thing and also that year being the 25th aniversary of the original film.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/337075/

I still plan to do his alternate outfits from the other films, mainly his cowboy outfits from Part III (both the cheesy 50's one and the one he wears in the later part of the film), since I've rarely seen it done (or done at all) and I'm kind of a sucker for the odd Western movie.

MagiFox
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh, and for anyone that's ever wanted to make a hoverboard prop from Part II, Backyard FX has an awesome tutorial that's screen acuate and very cheap! (Under $20!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-o5Xnq-HdU

KUJO3423
01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Nice cosplay MagiFox but how did you get/make the Clcok Tower pamplet?

MagiFox
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I went to AMC theatre's limited re-release of the film back in October. They gave out Save the Clock Tower pamphlets and limited edition 25th aniversary posters with our admission. Unfortunately, my theatre's projector wasn't working and the people who were in the packed-to-the-gills theatre were waiting for a technician to come for 1h45 (even then, the projector was shot). We weren't pleased at all, but we were refunded (and we could order tickets for the following showing 2 days later. Couldn't do that time though, since I had no means of transportation) and we could keep the memorabilia.

What happened later was I wrote a reply to AMC online about the horrible experience and service by the ushers. To my surprise, a couple of months later, I recieved a letter from the head of customer services. It turns out there were other theatres much like the one I went to that had the same problem with the screenings, so AMC directly contacted Universal - THE ACTUAL MOVIE COMPANY! - about the problem. What I found attached to the letter were 2 limited edition litograph cards of Marty McFly's disappearing photograph! :eek: I gave one to my stepsister's boyfriend for Christmas and he freaking loved it. Really awesome apollogy gift!

So in short, always send complaints/comments to movie theatres' customer services. It might get you a long way. ;)

UC77
01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I went to AMC theatre's limited re-release of the film back in October. They gave out Save the Clock Tower pamphlets and limited edition 25th aniversary posters with our admission. Unfortunately, my theatre's projector wasn't working and the whole packed theare was waiting for a technician to come for 1h45. We weren't pleased at all, but we were refunded (and we could order tickets for the following showing 2 days later. Couldn't do that time though, since I had no means of transportation) and we could keep the memorabilia.

The projector thing happened at the movie theater I was at too. I got to see the whole movie, but right before the DeLorean flew towards the screen at the end the movie stopped. I DIDN'T GET TO HEAR HUEY LEWIS. :bigcry:

I don't have a clocktower pamphlet, but I do own a replica OUTATIME plate, so I'm gonna be bringing that around with me. And I should probably do something with my BTTF II hat...

rawien8706
06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
DUDE! I 100% APPROVE OF THIS COSPLAY.

Why don't I think of these? They are my favorite movies after all... :rolleyes:

KUJO3423
06-29-2011, 12:36 AM
MagiFox: complaints to the company do work wonders and I wish I had know that they were rescreening Back to the Future, I so would have gone. As long as they don't try to remake it or I will cry.

PS- Has anyone played the Back to the Future game released on the Playstation store?

Cherazor
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
KUJO3423 - Do you mean Telltale's Back to the Future game? I have, on PC. It's an awesome game! :D

KUJO3423
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Possibly Cherazor, I am not sure. All I know is that I have played the demo and loved it. I just have to save up some $ to get the PS credits. I didn't buy it when it first came out bc it was released in installments and I wanted to just wait and get the whole thing.

Cherazor
07-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Ah, yeah that's the game I'm talking about, all right. Well, I can only speak for myself but I thought the game was well worth the money! The demo is just one part of a very awesome game, in my opinion. I hope you'll enjoy the rest of the game as well! :D

cookiepianos
07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi :)

I went as Marty to the MCM Midlands Expo in February. I wasn't stopped/asked for pictures by anyone, but there happened to be a Back to the Future display there with a model Delorean and men dressed as Marty and Doc - it was a complete coincidence that I'd decided to go as Marty, I had no idea that it was going to be there! BEST. COINCIDENCE. EVER! :D

Also, I saw a Doc cosplayer at the London MCM Expo I went to in May, so it doesn't seem to be weird or anything to cosplay them at anime expos - I suppose lots of anime fans are also Si-Fi fans, etc.

KUJO3423
07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi :)

I went as Marty to the MCM Midlands Expo in February. I wasn't stopped/asked for pictures by anyone, but there happened to be a Back to the Future display there with a model Delorean and men dressed as Marty and Doc - it was a complete coincidence that I'd decided to go as Marty, I had no idea that it was going to be there! BEST. COINCIDENCE. EVER! :D

Also, I saw a Doc cosplayer at the London MCM Expo I went to in May, so it doesn't seem to be weird or anything to cosplay them at anime expos - I suppose lots of anime fans are also Si-Fi fans, etc.

Saw your cosplay of Marty, nice.You might just need more cosplayers to dress as other charcters from the movie so people are able to recognize you easier.

cookiepianos
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Saw your cosplay of Marty, nice.You might just need more cosplayers to dress as other charcters from the movie so people are able to recognize you easier.

Thanks :D Standing next to the guy at the display, though, it was clear that my outfit was all the wrong colours, etc., so it's not really a suprise that I wasn't recognized - and it's a pretty normal looking outfit, too, so people probably didn't think I was cosplaying.

You're right, going with a doc, etc. would probably help, but I don't know anyone that would agree to ^_^; I guess for next time I'll try and make a hoverboard or something, so there's more chance of people knowing who I'm supposed to be. :)

KUJO3423
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
A hoverboard would probably help out loads. It is diffcult when the person you are cosplaying wears every day clothes bc then it requires someone with a sharp eye and a love for the show/movie to recognize you.

cookiepianos
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'll try to make one using that video MagiFox posted here. And next time, I'll take some sunglasses and headphones, too. :)

Also, I'm happy with most of my outfit, but the checked shirt is completely the wrong colour. Do you think getting a more similar shirt would help me to be recognized? It's just hard to find a checked shirt that doesn't only come in man sizes, which are way too big on me, let alone one that's the right colour. :(

KUJO3423
07-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Maybe. You might want to check online (Ebay or department stores online shops) because they may carry smaller sizes online but not in stores. Also check thrift shops and flea market. I once found a pink hoodie for my friends' cosplay (she is a tall woman and difficult to fit) at an indoor bazar. Talk about lucking out! I have noticed as long as you keep your eyes peeled and don't wait till the last minute you can usual find what you need.

supergeekgirl
07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I saw a group of BttF cosplayers at Marcon this past May. They had young Lorraine, BttF2 Lorraine, and George McFly. Pretty awesome, actually, and quite accurate.

My husband wants to do Doc and Clara from the end of BttF3 at some point.

cookiepianos
07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks, KUJO3423 - Yeah, you're right. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled when going around markets, etc. and hope I find a better one :)

I saw a group of BttF cosplayers at Marcon this past May. They had young Lorraine, BttF2 Lorraine, and George McFly. Pretty awesome, actually, and quite accurate.

Really?! 0_0 That's so cool! Do you have any photos? I wish I could come across people doing awesome cosplays like that at the conventions I go to!

My husband wants to do Doc and Clara from the end of BttF3 at some point.

That sounds amazing, I'd love to see that! : D

RaDragon76
07-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd love to make Lorraine's Enchantment Under the Sea dress and I'm also interested some of the costumes in the 2015 scenes and in Maggie McFly's outfits in 1885. I'm not sure if they will ever happen but it's there in the back of my mind anyway.

cookiepianos
07-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Those are some great ideas RaDragon76, I'd certainly love to see the results if you ever get round to doing it :)

KUJO3423
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
So much awesome cosplay, so little time/money.....

cookiepianos
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Lol, I know D: I'd love to cosplay in other outfits from the series (2015, 50's, alternate timeline, etc.), but yeah, it's too expensive, as well as hard to find/make >.<

KUJO3423
07-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Very true.

supergeekgirl
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
@cookiepianos - I do have pictures, but I'm not sure where I put them on my compy. I'll have to look around after the business of this week is over.

cookiepianos
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Thank you, supergeekgirl! I'd love to see them if you can find them! ^_^

Cherazor
09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Just a little while back I managed to finish my own Marty McFly cosplay and I have to admit that I'm insanely proud over it because I did almost everything myself. The down vest, jacket, button down, jeans and two of his pins were all made by me, as well as the wig being styled by me. (So, for those wondering what I did not to - suspenders, watch, shoes, t-shirt, the guitar pin and socks were all bought :)) I realize it was probably a bit overkill making everything myself, but I just wanted to get everything as close as possible and I just couldn't find finished garments that looked the way I wanted them to. XD

Anyway, you can see the finished thing here (http://fav.me/d48n22t).

KUJO3423
09-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Nice Marty! Now all you need is some Nike Mags.

Pvt sleepy
09-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Great idea! I always love references to those movies!

Cherazor
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
*laughs* Thanks Kujo! I wish I could afford a pair, but they're a liiiiiittle out of my budget. XD

KUJO3423
09-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I think they are out of most peoples price range. Plus they don't even autolace. : (