PDA

View Full Version : Yoruichi's Armour: Sew or Build?

MissyJennifer
01-04-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm planning to do Yoruichi's 3rd version for Anime Boston 2011. I'm just struggling with deciding weather or not i should make all the armour out of material or construct it with a harder material that can be molded. What do you think?

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/MissyJennifer72/Yoruichi%203rd/Capture10.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/MissyJennifer72/Yoruichi%203rd/Capture14.jpg

rubyspitfire
01-04-2011, 03:50 AM
sewing might be easier, since molding might get heavy unless you use something like paper mache (but that might be too flimsy)

Aearon
01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah... Both options might be a bit tricky. If ya use papier maché and then use another material... Ya might as well just make yourself a cast. >.> I'd imagine that would be pretty hard to move in unless you work out a bendable ankle for the armor.

Come to think of it though... You could probably make a papier maché 'cast' and then cover it with wonderflex for a strong and light option. You'd still need to work out an option for your ankle so you can actually walk.

NatureMade
01-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I would honestly vote towards sewing it. Not only would it be light weight, but you stand less a chance of breaking it. If it rips, you can just sew it back up. Getting the rifts and all worked out just requires a bit of tightening, or partitioning the fabric for separate stuffing.

I can tell ya now, Paper mache is the easier option, but it IS flimsy [my mask is made of paper mache, and requires inbetween con repairs] I dunno what this wonderflex stuff is, but if it can keep the mache sturdy, then paper macheing might be the better option

rubyspitfire
01-06-2011, 08:50 AM
yeah when i said paper mache i didn't mean for it to be 3 inches thick, more along the lines of a thin layer over some kind of wire mesh or something with some kind of stuffing on the inside. maybe design the leg pieces more like boot covers than actual footwear