PDA

View Full Version : 20's style steampunk

RiotGirl
01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm a bit of a newbie to steampunk, so I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm thinking about going to the World Steampunk Fair in NJ in May, and I really want to do a costume for the speakeasy they'll have set up. Thing is, I don't really know what makes a 20s style steampunk outfit. I have a few flapper dresses that I could pick from, but otherwise I'm stuck. Any ideas?? Thanks!

glitter bomb
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
traditional steampunk is early/mid 1800s to very early 1900s. Once you venture into the 1920s to 1940s you're in the subsection or sister realm called diesel punk. search "diesel punk" on google and flickr and you'll get a lot of ideas. these resources will also help:
http://www.ottens.co.uk/gatehouse/dieselpunk.php
http://dieselpunklinks.blogspot.com/
http://www.dieselpunks.org/photo/album/list
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/index.php
http://www.ottens.co.uk/lounge/

Volnixshin
01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Steampunk can be done in any time period really. Just most people do Victorian or post apocalyptic. I have seen some 20's/40's steampunk before.

glitter bomb
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I know, I wasn't saying it's wrong. :) I was pointing out there it has a specific name, so if the OP is looking for inspiration and guidance she'll have the most luck by searching the subcategory. Most forums and photo groups labeled "steampunk" are going to have scads and scads of Victorian, because that is the traditional (not exclusive) time period -- and that is not going to be much help to the OP. But looking specifically for dieselpunk yields tons of inspiration and help. I have some of those sites bookmarked because they have great galleries of 1920s-1940s fashion, as well as examples of how that era has been steamed up.

RiotGirl
01-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I know, I wasn't saying it's wrong. :) I was pointing out there it has a specific name, so if the OP is looking for inspiration and guidance she'll have the most luck by searching the subcategory. Most forums and photo groups labeled "steampunk" are going to have scads and scads of Victorian, because that is the traditional (not exclusive) time period -- and that is not going to be much help to the OP. But looking specifically for dieselpunk yields tons of inspiration and help. I have some of those sites bookmarked because they have great galleries of 1920s-1940s fashion, as well as examples of how that era has been steamed up.

Thanks so much, those galleries were a HUGE help! A little time spent on those and I know I'll look great at the speakeasy! Thanks again!

WiredKittie
03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
you can pretty much do what you want and what makes you feel happy. but if you are going for a PURE steampunk look, there are some guidelines to remember. steampunk is a collaboration of the fashion from the steam/industrial era and sci fi fantasy. so victorian clothing is a must. most people like to base their look of a "character" from that era and add some fantasy flair to it like ray guns and clock pieces and whatnot....so depending on what you are aiming for you may need to do more research on steampunk...

Volnixshin
03-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I don't think Victorian clothing is a MUST. Pure steampunk? That's hard to define. and as such, I think, shouldn't be defined to only one type of era

Mehdia
03-06-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't think Victorian clothing is a MUST. Pure steampunk? That's hard to define. and as such, I think, shouldn't be defined to only one type of era

I like how you stated this. Most people just want it to be Victorian with some gears and goggles, but it can be so much more. And, although I do like the Victorian based ones the most, I like seeing steampunk drawn from many eras. It just works really well with Victorian and Edwardian styles because that's when the world was changing so much and you could almost believe steampunk existed then. But I like the idea of Art Deco steampunk styles too. I love Art Deco, and think it really could be incorporated to make something very interesting. The fun of steampunk, I think, is using your imagination and coming up with something creative and unique.

Clem O'Grady
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Just wanted to add quickly, the 20's 'version' of Steampunk is sometimes referred to as Dieselpunk. That might help you find some more inspiration.

Eddie458
09-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Just wanted to add quickly, the 20's 'version' of Steampunk is sometimes referred to as Dieselpunk. That might help you find some more inspiration.

sorry to say but don't mind i don't understand exactly what it.? if it's really relevant to fashion/style it would be touch my craziness for new fashion/style....!:drink:

RedRobin
10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, teeechnically 20s isn't victorian, and so isn't steampunk...but I kind of think it's pre-diesel, too. But you know, I love the aesthetics of the Edwardian era through the 20s so I don't see why you couldn't apply the same principles behind steampunk to it! Steampunk art nouveau would be AWESOME.

I highly recommend perusing Dover books for their costuming ideas. They have them broken up into Victorian (for straight laced steampunk), Edwardian, etc.

Volnixshin
11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Dieselpunk is the "era" after steampunk. Steampunk was inspired by the Victorian era, Diesel spans the early 1900's to about the mid to late 1940's. Basically the Great War, the Great Depression, and World War 2 and a bit afterwards. It was the time of pulp novels, dime comics, ect.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. That is a dieselpunk movie. Big war engines, heroes with gray views of the world, like The Shadow, the Rocketeer, and the Phantom (gods that costume, errrrrrg)

Dieselpunk has fashion and aesthetic that is, or is inspired by, flapper dresses, pinstripe suits and fedora's, the mafia, tommy guns, the Model T, pulp novels, Doc Savage.

For example, Batman, in his first incarnations, he was the icon of a dieselpunk aesthetic. He was extremely rich in an era that was drowning in finacial insecurity and poverty. He was a man who fought crime in the shadows, criminals feared his very name.

Or the Rocketeer, your average pilot in a stunt show who stumbled upon a rocket being hunted by the nazi's. What's his trademark weapon? A pistol, and he does shoot people if need be.

I'm a variant Dieselpunk, in day by day life. It's my wardrobe, my music choices, ect, so I may be only one voice out of others

Ribii-chan
12-16-2011, 11:13 PM
I love both genres (Steam and Diesel) lol. If you can figure out a way to combine them that would probably turn out pretty legit.

As an Oh By The Way... Usually the three "punk" categories tend to be Late Victorian/Industrial Revolutions for Steampunk, WWI-WWII/Post-Apocalyptic for Dieselpunk, and anything futuristic for Cyberpunk. There are a whole lot of minor headings that bridge the gaps; those are just the most well-known three.

Volnixshin
12-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I dunno, I usually attribute Steam, Diesel, and Atom, way before I include Cyber

Ribii-chan
12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I dunno, I usually attribute Steam, Diesel, and Atom, way before I include Cyber

There's a huge gab between Diesel/Cyber and I never know what is supposed to go there lol xD

Volnixshin
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Atom usually. It's the period with the Cold War, nuclear fallout and stuff. Fallout games would fall under the extreme case, Mad Men would fall under this era in the casual sense.

Godzilla is an Atompunk characterization as well

supergeekgirl
12-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I have a dieselpunk costume, and everyone just calls it steampunk because that's the term most people know. I do get a bit sad when people label any period costume that isn't an obvious military uniform as steampunk, but I'm not into insistent terminology.

Anyway, on topic again, I do a pre-WW2 Soviet engineer which is obviously dieselpunk rather than historic dress (because of some era mixing in the pieces and extra decoration you wouldn't have seen that close to the Revolution). I also do a 1930s Komsomol, and a few people call it "steampunk". So not steampunk. It's historic dress. :/

As far as I know, dieselpunk and historic dress (i.e. flapper dresses) are welcome at steampunk events. Any I've attended accepted them.

I LOVE Atompunk and want to see more of it! Zeerust is about my favorite thing ever. When I finally get out of my apartment and into a house, my living room, kitchen, and dining room will all be Atompunk-themed - kitchen with the American ideal of the late 50s, dining room like a sci-fi diner, and living room with a space race theme. I've been collecting period furniture and decorations in my apartment for a while. The 50s/60s is a major obsession from middle school that has somehow continued for fifteen years.