PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft Ethereal costume - how would this work?

Ianew
01-06-2011, 01:35 AM
(I originally had this is in cosplay suggestions, then realized my noob mistake)

For quite awhile I've wanted to cosplay an Ethereal from World of Warcraft but I have no idea how to get the effect of looking like a being of pure energy :/

Ethereal pics: Here (http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/d/d9/Haramad-inperson.jpg) and here (http://www.wowpedia.org/images/thumb/4/46/Nexus-Prince_Haramad.jpg/181px-Nexus-Prince_Haramad.jpg)

I'm pretty new to costuming so I'm sure there's a lot of tricks and what not I don't really know, but the best I've come up with is getting a white full body spandex suit and throwing some glitter on it for extra effect. Then make the wrappings out of normal grey cloth and somehow attaching them. I'm sure just sewing them on wouldn't look right, and would be terribly hard on spandex. Fabric glue maybe? I'm really not sure.

Is this even possible without just looking silly?

Any input or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. :]

dbchan
01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been thinking about this too!!

I was on a similar train of thought- A full body suit and cloth wrappings. For the ethereal effect I was pondering carefully hidden LED's or maybe electroluminescent strips (but the latter is pretty expensive).

Reformed Tomboy
01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe glow in the dark, or uv body paint for underneath? Does that even exist?

LalaFTL
01-07-2011, 12:08 AM
I would definitely go with actual lighting with a white zentai suit to get the glow effect. That would look pretty sweet if done right but it would probably be expensive, as dbchan said.

Ianew
01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the lighting sounds hard. Not only expensive as mentioned, but carefully hiding them in a zentai suit seems impossible unless you do the strips.

I'm hoping the shiny material of the suit plus some glitter would give me a good enough effect in enough light. I think more than anything I'm wondering how to simply attach the wrappings to the suit. I've never worked with spandex before and I know it's supposed to be very tricky. :/

dbchan
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Another thing to consider is the ethereals that wear armor- If you choose one of those, it would require less wrappings, and probably give you more places to hide your lights.

haydeez
01-08-2011, 01:35 PM
cotton balls? Because you want blindingly white and fluffy but err, won't look great in convention lighting. But on overexposed photos it may produce the effect you want.

catfetus
01-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I recently saw this girl's costume where she seems to have used a very reflective material on certain parts to create that kind of shiny flare effect in photos:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=154104804638505&set=t.742336994

The only other thing I could really think of is using a white body suit and then something like LEDs or rope lights under the wrappings or armor to get that effect.

dbchan
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
It looks like the reflective tape that joggers wear. hmm. I wonder if that comes in different colors.

If anyone actually asks her, let me know!

catfetus
01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
It looks like the reflective tape that joggers wear. hmm. I wonder if that comes in different colors.

If anyone actually asks her, let me know!I'll ask her, I already sent her a message before about another costume.

She replied:
"It's the safety fabric they use on construction vests

example:
http://www.metlon.com/reflectivematerial.htm

A friend sent me some -- it's sort of a matte silvery gray in person, and apparently comes on about a 2" wide roll, but when light (especially camera flashes) hits it, it pops :) The stuff he gave me as just fabric, and i had to glue it on myself (So I'm thinking it was like the 8906 Silver Fabric Trim listed here)"

ZerinaX
01-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I would get enough white reflective tape to cover/accent only the upper half of a zentai suit if you were doing Haramad. You would probably end up using a ton of that reflective tape even for the upper half and he has the luxury of having his lower half covered. I'd start with a shiny white zentai suit base but only use it from the waist up and cut a small slit out for the eyes and replace it with another white fabric that is sheer enough to see through more comfortably. I'd sew grey strips of cloth to the zentai suit for the wrappings and only attach the tape in the gaps between the bandages for flexibility and breathability. For depth, I'd probably think about putting some interfacing behind a few strip of the grey fabric, so they can sit up and away from the body like they were "floating" in places, like on the hips as seen in the Haramad picture.

If you wanted to get fun and use LEDs, I'd put them on the inside and underside of the chest/shoulder armor and the top part of the gloves. Otherwise, a camera's flash will really do most of the magic for you. Seems like a fun project.

Ianew
01-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks so much. I found These (http://www.glowinwire.com/el_wire_belt_strip.htm)l and considering I only need to worry about the top half I think they'd do the job nicely or the reflective tape mentioned.

I do plan on doing Haramad, or at least his colors and outfit so I don't have to worry about the lower half at all other than boots.

Thank you so much for all the advice, particularly ZerinaX :] I think my only concerns now will be how to actually attach the strips of cloth to the suit (just sewing regular cloth onto spandex doesn't sound like a good idea at least) and then picking out a good quality zentai suit.