PDA

View Full Version : Harley Quinn: Heros-in-tights or Holly Messinger

thekellykid
01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm still very new to cosplay...

But I have always wanted to play Harley Quinn and for years now I've admire d Holly Messinger's Harley Quinn costume. Recently though I have come across heros-in-tights.com and they also have a good looking Harley outfit.
I'm now determined...

Here is my dilemma:
Holly Messinger's costume (http://www.etsy.com/listing/39829983/classic-harley-quinn-costume-custom-made)costs $350, but she makes it custom to your measurements.
Heros-in-tights.com's costume (http://heroes-in-tights.com/TAB(002)-main.html) (shown under "products") costs $140, but it comes in sizes. (listed below)

SIZE HEIGHT (FT./INCH.) WEIGHT (LBS.)
SMALL 5’1”- 5’4" 88-110
MEDIUM 5’4”-5’7” 110-132
LARGE 5’7”-5’10” 132-154
X LARGE 5’10”-6’1” 154-176
XX LARGE 6’1”-6’5” 176-198

Now I am 5'10 and 130lbs with a large bust. I'm afraid with whatever size I order it would either be too short or too baggy.

My question is, has anyone gotten either of these costumes and what do you think?

As far as fit goes, I'm clueless when it comes to tight body suits on me.

Tonksie
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Personally, if I were you, I would probably go with the Hero's-in-tights verson. Spandex is very forgiving when it comes to sizing, so you could *probably* go with the large size with them. The only thing I would worry about is if you have an exceptionally long torso or very small waist and large bust and large hips. There's a limit to how much even spandex can conform. If your height is in your legs, you can always make the booties a little bit taller to make up for it.

Or, if you have a sewing machine with an overlock stitch, you can get the larger one, put it on inside out, pin it to where it fits and sew up the sides, being careful to do it evenly so that the patterns don't shift proportion.

I would try emailing Heroes in tights with your sizing info and ask them to advise you on which size is the best. If they suggest that your sizing will be difficult to fit, then you might think about going custom. Although, $350 seems expensive for a relatively simple costume (though I've personally never made it, so it could be quite a bit more difficult than it looks).

princessbee
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Actually, everyone I've ever known (and I've known many) peeps who've made HQ's costume has said it's incredibly difficult, particularly the cowl.

My HQ costume was made by someone other than Holly, but as someone who's purchased several different HQ costumes from her, I can definitely vouch for the quality and accuracy. The HiT one is nice enough, but, for my money, is not anywhere near as accurate or as carefully detailed as Holly's. I think the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is one to keep in mind here.

One thing in HiT's favour is that pretty much everyone buys Holly's version and it's easily recognisable - the HiT will therefore have a more unique look.

dreamsofnever
01-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Princess, I second that. Harley Quinn's costume is definitely a detailed and complicated costume. It may seem deceptively simple, but if you look at the body suit, that alone has 8 different pieces, not counting the white collar or the diamonds. Then there is the cowl, which is its own challenge. And $350 for a custom-made (as opposed to off the rack) bodysuit is pretty standard.

thekellykid, to answer your question-I'm not particularly familiar with either vendor, and I think it's great that you're asking on here about them since it's always important to check out internet vendors before you commit your money to ordering from them. Not sure if you're a member of any other forums, but The League of Heroes and the Superhero Costuming Forum both have a 'vendor inquiries' section. I believe there's one of those on here too.

From looking at pictures of the two costumes, I can tell the Holly Messinger one is of a higher quality but the Heroes in Tights looks pretty decent, and $140 is a pretty good price for that costume in my opinion. In comparison, just ordering a generic version of Harley's bodysuit, like this one (http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/dihaulun.html) (without the Harley cowl or white neck collar) from a dancewear site would run you about $80. From there, you would still need to make alterations for it to be a Harley costume.

So I guess as long as both vendors check out and are reputable, it's really a matter of how much you want to spend and which costume you personally prefer.

SpookyKid1134
08-23-2011, 04:54 AM
To be honest... i've done the "ebay" method before and it hasnt failed me... I had my Joker suit fully tailored and sized for me from China, all from ebay hahaha. Heres a "Arkham Quinn" costume, FULLY custom sizeable for order, and just for $120... just take a look around there!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bartman-Arkham-Asylum-Harley-Quinn-costume-Cosplay-NEW-/150623243793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2311d84e11#ht_2709wt_1038

Gee2
08-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I would be cautious of the HiT suit; there's been some issues in the past with colors running and lack of customer service. As dreamsofnever stated, you may want to check the vendors areas of the other boards to make an informed purchase.