PDA

View Full Version : You Need Food to Live

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

penny_dreadful
01-11-2011, 01:53 PM
And thank God, because it is DELICIOUS.

Share what you're cooking, what you're eating, what you're craving, your favorite recipes, anything about food. Meat-lover? Vegan? Gluten-free? Morally opposed to salad? Raw foodist? Fried foodist? Everybody who loves food is welcome. Heck, you're even welcome if you don't love food.

ETA: Because sometimes we just can't have nice things, let me respectfully request that posters observe the following:
1. It's fine to not like certain foods or cuisines. Please bear in mind, however, that while we all need food to live, for many of us food is a lot more than just necessary fuel. It ties in very closely to memory, family, emotion, heritage, and culture-- which people tend to take pretty seriously. Before you go off on how disgusting X food is and how much it makes you gag or whatever, try to consider the feelings of others for whom that food may hold deep significance.
2. Or, more simply, it's okay to not like things, but don't be a dick about it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI).
3. Before it comes up, this is not a place to discuss eating disorders. There is a wealth of resources available regarding the serious problem of ED, including on the internet, and it is in your best interest to seek those out before you get into a discussion of it on a cosplay forum.
4. Don't hate. Participate.

To start off, we're expecting a big snowstorm here in NY, so I'm planning on making a big pot of Cuban black bean soup (http://eclecticrecipes.com/crock-pot-cuban-black-bean-soup/) and a pan of apple crisp (http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/apple-crisp) to get us through the next few cold, snowed-in days.

sam vimes
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Enough with the food talk already.

Sheesh.

penny_dreadful
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Sheesh.

I AM JUSTIFIABLY VERY HUNGRY.

No apple crisp for you.

Brsis
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Today was roast pork with bacon and leek stuffing followed by sticky toffee pudding (The Nigella Lawson version, with a ton of dried dates and muscovado sugar in it) and I'm thinking tomorrow is probably going to be pan-fried chicken in a lime and chilli sauce. I'm such a foodie :)

Flora88
01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, I'm going to make an asparagus quiche today! :D

*Is a vegetarian.*

I also really, really want to make a Dobos torte. Like RULL bad.

rubyspitfire
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM
i've been on a bastardized american sushi craze this week... nori, rice, salmon or crab, cucumbers, and carrots. YUM and better for cleaning out one's digestive tract than acai!

Clyde_2.0
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes! I LOVE food! What I'm craving right now is some eggplant parmesan but alas, I have no eggplant... or mozzarella. *sigh*

Brsis
01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
i've been on a bastardized american sushi craze this week... nori, rice, salmon or crab, cucumbers, and carrots. YUM and better for cleaning out one's digestive tract than acai!

D'you know what's a REALLY good variation on a tuna roll? Tuna mayonnaise with just a touch of wasabi and some red peppers. I get someone else (Me + Fire = BAD) to scorch the outside of the peppers, and then you stick them in a ziplock bag and they cook themselves through. Then you just need to peel 'em ^.^ I like a bit of lime juice on top, but soy sauce is also good.

Flora88
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Okay, I just want to know, once and for all...is Parmesan cheese aged inside baby deer? Because word on the street is that it is...and I use a lot of Parmesan.

Aearon
01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
lol... Interesting rumor. I personally have no idea.

As for what I'm eating... Free Hawaiian pizza! *Cheers!*
Gotta love getting free stuff b/c other businesses love your shop. :D

Flora88
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Oh! And @penny dreadful
My aunt will send me her recipe for migas, and I shall post it here. :D

Clyde_2.0
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Okay, I just want to know, once and for all...is Parmesan cheese aged inside baby deer? Because word on the street is that it is...and I use a lot of Parmesan.

No, It's aged in steel belts so it keeps it's shape, like most cheeses.
Where did you hear that? I'm really curious.

penny_dreadful
01-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Urgh, I have never heard that, and I definitely always have a wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano in the fridge. Since I'm a cheese geek, I looked it up, and couldn't even find any references to aging cheese inside a deer. That sounds extremely inefficient. Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano) what I did find about the process of making and aging the cheese.

How they make the shaky cheese they keep on the supermarket shelf next to the jarred pasta sauces is a mystery to me. I'm pretty certain that's not real cheese (but it does thicken up a sauce nicely.)

Flora88
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh, thank goodness!
I requested Parmesan on something at an Italian restaurant, and one of my guy friends was like, "You know that's not vegetarian, right? It's aged in baby deer." I was like, "WUT?"

Clyde_2.0
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Oh, thank goodness!
I requested Parmesan on something at an Italian restaurant, and one of my guy friends was like, "You know that's not vegetarian, right? It's aged in baby deer." I was like, "WUT?"

He was probably just trying to mess with you... but still, how mean.

SourCherryTwist
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
....I usually eat at the flightline chowhall *vomit*

Lithium Flower
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Right about now I am craving some of Brandon's Onigiri. D: He makes the sticky rice and then mixes in Furikake....so tasty.He even has the little plastic shaper for it and puts that little Nori strip on the bottom :K its so good. But now I am craving the curry he also makes...imagine the Onigiri resting on top of some curry man -flail-

Jia Jem
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM

omg. High five to your friend. That is the best shit I've ever heard! I'm using that for everything now.

Know how I pack my cosplays? Inside baby deer. If I do it right, the deer is still alive and frequently beats me to the con. I save a lot on checked baggage that way. ...sadly, the money I save goes to new baby deers.

StrawberrySiren
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
My mom is making stew! With beef, cabbage, string beans, and all that good stuff. I'm excited.

I also had a burrito for lunch. It was delicious.

Flora88
01-11-2011, 03:16 PM
omg. High five to your friend. That is the best shit I've ever heard! I'm using that for everything now.

Know how I pack my cosplays? Inside baby deer. If I do it right, the deer is still alive and frequently beats me to the con. I save a lot on checked baggage that way. ...sadly, the money I save goes to new baby deers.

Dude, I just called him and he was totally serious! He was like, "I swear on my life, man! Baby deer! It's part of the aging process!"

Moonsong
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
And thank God, because it is DELICIOUS.

Share what you're cooking, what you're eating, what you're craving, your favorite recipes, anything about food. Meat-lover? Vegan? Gluten-free? Morally opposed to salad? Raw foodist? Fried foodist? Everybody who loves food is welcome. Heck, you're even welcome if you don't love food.

To start off, we're expecting a big snowstorm here in NY, so I'm planning on making a big pot of Cuban black bean soup (http://eclecticrecipes.com/crock-pot-cuban-black-bean-soup/) and a pan of apple crisp (http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/apple-crisp) to get us through the next few cold, snowed-in days.

Haha, I'm in New York too and I'm so excited for the snow! I'll be cooking filet of Sole with veggies and potatoes tonight if I have enough time. I wanted to try and get to the gym before the snow hits...I suppose it all depends on when the little white flakes decide to come down.

Lithium Flower
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Dude, I just called him and he was totally serious! He was like, "I swear on my life, man! Baby deer! It's part of the aging process!"

I would be quite concerned for your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano

ChibiBex
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Air...Love that shit.

penny_dreadful
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Haha, I'm in New York too and I'm so excited for the snow! I'll be cooking filet of Sole with veggies and potatoes tonight if I have enough time. I wanted to try and get to the gym before the snow hits...I suppose it all depends on when the little white flakes decide to come down.

My husband has to shovel so snow is never fun for him, ever. And since I was stupid and waited until the last minute, I have to go grocery shopping later, just like EVERYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE STATE. One of these days I'm going to start buying my groceries online.

Flora88
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Yay for vegetable chowder, homemade bread, and apricot ale! (Who's trying to lose weight? Me? Naaahhhhh...)

sam vimes
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
apricot ale

Mmmmmm. Mass produced or home brewed?

Axelai
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Speaking of food, my mom is making a vegetable bean soup.

Aka whatever she finds in the fridge soup.

Looks yummy.

Flora88
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Mmmmmm. Mass produced or home brewed?

It's made locally. :D

MY FRIEND WAS RIGHT! (http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=495)

And it's calves, not deer.

penny_dreadful
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Ah, so it's not actually aged inside an animal, but it is made with animal products. Huh. Good to know. Of course, that seems to apply more strictly to Parmigiano-Reggiano, which must be made according to traditional methods, but I'm sure you can find a parmesan-style cheese that's vegetarian if you're careful about checking your labels.

Rainbowgasm
01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I just had a store bought frozen Shepard's pie... it was actually good, though small...
But I'm craving fettuccine alfredo XP the kind we get from a local family restaurant with big chunks of tomato and mushroom and chicken in it...

nannyogg
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Vegetarian here :)

I'm currently eating dinner, which tonight is rigatoni with mixed vegetables and alfredo sauce, with sharp cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.

J.Kazama
01-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Vegetarian on training here! (yeah, on training. I started recently after being intoxicated with chicken...which only added another reason why I hate eating chicken)

I am so not eating Parmesan anymore.

SweetOcarina
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Macarons. I am being force fed macarons. Aoisakura is learning to make them, so what happens to the failures?

Someone is eating many almond meringues...

UC77
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I had a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich for lunch and it was delicious, but now I want raw tuna. Like half a pound of it.

Eau de Decus
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
This thread has made me insanely hungry... *off to make food*

Lithium Flower
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
This thread has made me insanely hungry... *off to make food*

I read this forum and want more nom noms when I shouldn't be nom noming :O

rubyspitfire
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
i got more crab and some yellow squash for my sushi rolls ^_^ wasabi sounded good but spicy things usually don't agree with me

The Hag
01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I made chile relleno tonight. It was a total pain in the butt. However, everyone said it was worth it. I wouldn't know since they all got eaten before I got any!

Sheesh.

STFU.

penny_dreadful
01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
STFU.

NO U

Also, meat-eaters unite!

EDIT: Aw shucks--forgot to log out of Penny's account. It's actually Sam Vimes.

The Hag
01-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Also, meat-eaters unite!

Meat is murder. Delicious, delicious murder!

It's actually Sam Vimes.

It's always kind of obvious!

rubyspitfire
01-11-2011, 08:55 PM
i think i'm going to make myself a nice, thick, juicy steak tomorrow... locally grass-fed of course

Buckshot Billie
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Ever since a friend of mine posted a recipe for zigeunerschnitzel (fried pork with a sweet pepper sauce) on his blog, I've been making that at least once a week since I've been home from school. I'll be so sad to go back to my cramped apartment kitchen, shoddy cookware, and perpetual dearth of ingredients next week.

Mangochutney
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I just ate a bucket of fucking brilliant Greek salad, lots of feta, and now I'm kicking back with a (small) glass of Fish House Punch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_House_Punch).

Fish House Punch is marvelous stuff. Tastes nice, de-greases machinery, makes the G.I Joe movie hilarious. I recommend it to everyone.

sweetnsassy
01-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Just got done gorging myself on some cranberry-orange cookies my mom made, and am currently looking up some bento recipes.

Faiga
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Fish fingers + Kewpie japanese mayonnaise = uggghhhh...I feel so fat.

Flora88
01-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Vegetarian on training here! (yeah, on training. I started recently after being intoxicated with chicken...which only added another reason why I hate eating chicken)

I am so not eating Parmesan anymore.

'Ey, man, as far as I know, Romano is still good. :D

DaemonForce
01-12-2011, 02:56 AM
I love delicious foods! Weeeee! Snow storm came to WA too. I'm looking forward to a day filled with yakisoba, shrimp, random fruits, fried chicken(no watermelon though), spring rolls and pizza.

Sadly, my body desperately needs a ton of orange, garlic and ginger. :(

Pocketfightr
01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I've been craving to make grand marnier & chocolate chip cookies (tastes like those chocolate oranges with a slight bite from the alcohol). Normally I make them over the holidays, but we had so many other cookies that it seemed silly.

DaemonForce
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
(tastes like those chocolate oranges with a slight bite from the alcohol)
Oh God I just remembered one of my lost loves...Orange liquor cake! <3

I have to find some of this stuff before Sakuracon. Any of it...Anywhere...>.>'

penny_dreadful
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Macarons. I am being force fed macarons. Aoisakura is learning to make them, so what happens to the failures?

Someone is eating many almond meringues...

I love, love, love macarons, but they're pretty labor-intensive and take some practice. Maybe I'll make a batch this weekend, just for giggles. Was supposed to make some around New Year's, but I was too sick, and that bag of almond flour keeps staring me in the face, JUDGING ME.

Today I kind of just got out of bed (hello, snow day), but I'm marinating some chicken in root beer barbecue sauce to eat with spicy sweet potato fries and veggies tonight. My black beans are still soaking. I've been snacking on crackers with this spicy red pepper hummus (http://www.tribehummus.com/products/tribe-origins) that is outrageously good in the meantime.

HomeDepot
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
'Ey, man, as far as I know, Romano is still good. :D

Almost all cheese is made with animal rennet. Unless it says specifically that it is microbial rennet on the package, an animal was killed to get the rennet. On the bright side it takes a ridiculously small amount of rennet to culture milk, only one teaspoon for every 5 gallons of milk.

If you are really concerned, and looking for a fun project you can order microbial rennet and make your own cheese. This guy gives really good instructions:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_course/cheese_course.htm

I made the "basic cheese for one gallon" and aged it for about a month. It was pretty good.

Pocketfightr
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Oh God I just remembered one of my lost loves...Orange liquor cake! <3

I have to find some of this stuff before Sakuracon. Any of it...Anywhere...>.>'

Ooh, now I'm intrigued. Will have to google a recipe later.

Brsis
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Almost all cheese is made with animal rennet. Unless it says specifically that it is microbial rennet on the package, an animal was killed to get the rennet. On the bright side it takes a ridiculously small amount of rennet to culture milk, only one teaspoon for every 5 gallons of milk.

If you are really concerned, and looking for a fun project you can order microbial rennet and make your own cheese. This guy gives really good instructions:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_course/cheese_course.htm

I made the "basic cheese for one gallon" and aged it for about a month. It was pretty good.

I need to check that out, my Mum makes all kinds of cheese and it appears to me to be half carefully controlled science and half crazy arcane magic and yet still mostly luck.

Speaking of - the pork joint was bigger than we thought, so left-over pie with cold water pastry. I'm gonna try to sneak a good thick layer of grated mozzarella and edam with lots of black pepper in between the crust and the meat.

HomeDepot
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Well we did say a prayer to the cheese gods while we waited for the curd to form...seriously.

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
01-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Pad thai is delicious. That is all.

The Hag
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Home made baguettes just came out of the oven. Eggplant parmesan (parmesan no doubt made with animal products) just went in. I've been cleaning the tomato sauce bowl by wiping it with leftover fresh mozzarella slices which I then eat and wash down with bordeaux also left over from making the sauce. I'm pretty happy right now! (:

The bakery next door to the sewing shop I frequent has stopped making macaroons because they are too labor intensive. :waaaah:

Rainbowgasm
01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
You all seem so... awesome... at cooking... I just had... McDonalds... yeah... :S
No wonder I never have energy... I eat crap all the time... I'm surprised I'm not overweight! :S

Kildread
01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
The only thing I ever cook for myself is pasta.

Otherwise it's sandwhiches, chicken or stuff I can cook straigth in the oven.

D:

nannyogg
01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm craving cheesecake.

Flora88
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
You all seem so... awesome... at cooking... I just had... McDonalds... yeah... :S
No wonder I never have energy... I eat crap all the time... I'm surprised I'm not overweight! :S

It's okay. My boyfriend can't even make a cake with boxed cake mix.

Fabulousity
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I'M EATING SPAGHETTI-Os!!!!!!!

Also, what is with the Muppets with the human eyes?! It's freaking creepy!!! /randomness

penny_dreadful
01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm craving cheesecake.

This is really, really awful, but when I get a bad craving for cheesecake, I take a tub of no-bake "cheesecake" filling, a chocolate pie crust, and a can of cherry pie filling and go nuts.

Or, instead of cherries, I top it with chopped Reese's cups and peanut butter sauce.

Yes, this is why I'm fat.

DaemonForce
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
God I f'ing love cheesecake. It's so horrible but so good. I like the slices I can buy every other morning. Chocolate and cherry.

Brsis
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
But cheesecake is so EASY to make!

My favourite is raspberry. But black cherry is good too.

Mangochutney
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
I dunno, cheesecake just doesn't do anything for me. Squishy, sweet cheese...I can see the appeal, but I'd rather have tiramisu.

Yeah, that's right. TIRAMISU (http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x43/Rodriguez_Prime/Tiramisu.jpg). Big-ass American tiramisu with too many layers and too much custard and chocolate on the top. You hear me? I know you do.

Clyde_2.0
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Dude, cheesecake tops any other types of cake or pie, for me at least. I even have had cheesecake as my birthday cake several times.

As for what I'm currently eating, broccoli and cheddar soup. One of the best lunches for a rainy day.

kittylovesprog
01-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I have a chocolate cheesecake that I made in my fridge right now. Nobody is really eating it. I bake as a hobby but I never eat what I bake because it's usually too fattening for me. I try it to make sure it turned out well and that's about it. This one turned out really good after I modified the recipe.

msaliciak
01-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I just had organic cookies. They are... TOATS Friendly O's. My mom's boss was trying to get everyone at the company to eat organic and healthy, and she thought they were absolutely disgusting. I got them because I'm the vacuum that'll eat anything and everything. People, just stick to your Doritos. D: Ew.

And I'm making grilled cheese with ham for dinner because that's all I'm capable of.

penny_dreadful
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
But cheesecake is so EASY to make!

My favourite is raspberry. But black cherry is good too.

EHHHH, you need a springform pan, and I don't have one, and I'm LAAAZY (also why I'm fat), so if I'm really craving I can customize without having to do any actual work, tub of fake cheesecake it is.

My mom made eggnog cheesecake with candied cranberries and rosemary and chocolate cheesecake with blueberries for Christmas and they were outrageously good. Then she tells me I go overboard when I plan a party...

I dunno, cheesecake just doesn't do anything for me. Squishy, sweet cheese...I can see the appeal, but I'd rather have tiramisu.

Yeah, that's right. TIRAMISU (http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x43/Rodriguez_Prime/Tiramisu.jpg). Big-ass American tiramisu with too many layers and too much custard and chocolate on the top. You hear me? I know you do.

The Whole Foods near me makes the best store-bought tiramisu I've ever had. I'm not allowed to buy it, because I usually try to eat the entire thing by myself.

StrawberrySiren
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
This is really, really awful, but when I get a bad craving for cheesecake, I take a tub of no-bake "cheesecake" filling, a chocolate pie crust, and a can of cherry pie filling and go nuts.

Or, instead of cherries, I top it with chopped Reese's cups and peanut butter sauce.

I have indeed done this before. I looked at the scale today. Not pretty.

DUDE. I just finished the tiramisu we had in the fridge the other day. Life is sooooo worth it.

Today AgentSAMa and I had gyros at this place literally right next to the University of Maryland. It was quite possibly the best I ever had. We finished with some baclava. So good, I tell ya!

ShinobiXikyu
01-14-2011, 12:07 AM
As of late, I fucking love camembert cheese. Soooooo good. Oh, and rosemary and olive oil triscuits. I thought triscuits were gross, dry and bland until I had those. O.O
Oh, and sweet potato chips. I used to get them at the Asian grocery, but they don't have them anymore and I'm getting sad. T_T I'll have to convince my bf to make some from scratch... (I'm terrified of using ovens and deep friers- one reason why I don't cook very much- but he's a whiz in the kitchen^^.)
Lots more favourites, but those are my most recent cravings.

Ineedaname9
01-14-2011, 12:18 AM
You guys make me so hungary lol

I eat usually one Subway foot long sandwich from my campus subway and a 99 cent noodles for dinner. When I'm richer, I get hot pockets, soup, or salads.... I need to save money for college and cosplay...so cheap is the way to go I can cook but I'm lazy when I come home from a 11 hour day at school.

Can't wait to get out into a Univeristy... more expensive, so I can't jam pack my classes like I do for my college. Yay for three square meals.

Though I'm so craving chocolate oreo cheesecake...

Flora88
01-14-2011, 12:22 AM
You guys make me so hungary lol

I eat usually one Subway foot long sandwich from my campus subway and a 99 cent noodles for dinner. When I'm richer, I get hot pockets, soup, or salads.... I need to save money for college and cosplay...so cheap is the way to go I can cook but I'm lazy when I come home from a 11 hour day at school.

Can't wait to get out into a Univeristy... more expensive, so I can't jam pack my classes like I do for my college. Yay for three square meals.

Though I'm so craving chocolate oreo cheesecake...

Hey, you got a package of Oreos? Got a package of cream cheese? Got chocolate?

Smash up all the Oreos, mix them with all the cream cheese, roll this into balls and freeze. Then melt the chocolate, and dip the Oreo balls into the chocolate. Set out on a sheet of wax paper, or a platter, or whatever, and let them dry.

There you go. Oreo cheesecake balls. :)

Ineedaname9
01-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Hey, you got a package of Oreos? Got a package of cream cheese? Got chocolate?

Smash up all the Oreos, mix them with all the cream cheese, roll this into balls and freeze. Then melt the chocolate, and dip the Oreo balls into the chocolate. Set out on a sheet of wax paper, or a platter, or whatever, and let them dry.

There you go. Oreo cheesecake balls. :)

OMG! I am so trying this tomorrow, when the stores is open. lol

That sounds ssooo good.. Thank you for a new cheaper treat ><

Brsis
01-14-2011, 03:54 AM
As of late, I fucking love camembert cheese. Soooooo good. Oh, and rosemary and olive oil triscuits. I thought triscuits were gross, dry and bland until I had those. O.O

Mmmmmm Camembert... I have a great recipe I got off my mother (Alternate layers of cheese and seasoned toast, spoonful of cream on top, cover and bake in the oven, big dollop of fruit jelly on top and DIG IN) but I don't have the little ramekin dishes to make it in... and it's bloody expensive trying to get it in the little wooden boxes so I can bake it in the oven!

Guys, Mum just baked me two dozen English Muffins. Two DOZEN. Even I cannot physically consume two dozen sets of my usual English Muffin arrangements (Poached eggs and hollandaise or sweet grilled bacon, cheese and cracked black pepper) so what are your favourite things to put on English Muffins?

penny_dreadful
01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Mmmmmm Camembert... I have a great recipe I got off my mother (Alternate layers of cheese and seasoned toast, spoonful of cream on top, cover and bake in the oven, big dollop of fruit jelly on top and DIG IN) but I don't have the little ramekin dishes to make it in... and it's bloody expensive trying to get it in the little wooden boxes so I can bake it in the oven!

Guys, Mum just baked me two dozen English Muffins. Two DOZEN. Even I cannot physically consume two dozen sets of my usual English Muffin arrangements (Poached eggs and hollandaise or sweet grilled bacon, cheese and cracked black pepper) so what are your favourite things to put on English Muffins?

This is also terrible eating, but because my grandma used to make them, I have a soft spot for english muffin pizzas: split them in half, top with a little tomato sauce, some shredded mozzarella (or sliced if you're fancy), and your choice of toppings, then broil or stick in the toaster oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and the muffin is starting to turn golden brown.

Keebablue
01-15-2011, 01:31 AM

That.sounds.amazing.

ShinobiXikyu
01-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one on the planet who finds cheesecake revolting in every way?....

Keebablue
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Lol I'm sure yoir not. Oooooh I love tuna sandwiches ....

Clyde_2.0
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
*Is baking ginger cookies*

Yum, Yum. ^_^

Flora88
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I had a spinach/mushroom/onion fritatta (frittata?) with Romano cheese this morning! My breath is kickin', but it was awesome!

DaemonForce
01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
*Is baking ginger cookies*
*steals half the ginger*

There's good and then there's damn good. You can have the rest of my chocolate surplus instead. I need some ginger like right now. o_O

daylight
01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I just made some boiled eggs

boiled eggs are good

I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid

HomeDepot
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I've never boiled an egg. But I just started eating fried eggs over the summer, and I've become a bit obsessed. I make sort of ad hoc Bi Bim Bop or just have really runny eggs over toast.

I'm also having a love affair with the local meat market. They have a huge variety of cheese. My current favorite is wensleydale with cranberries.

cupofjasmine
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I just got finished eating those little White Castle burgers and I feel like I'm about to explode. I'd really like a big bowl of vegetarian chili (though i'm not vegetarian, it is very tasty).

ShinobiXikyu
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
My mom makes such AWESOME banana bread (all from scratch). We've devoured two loaves in three days...

squ33k t0y
01-17-2011, 11:04 PM
I haven't ate since about noon. Which is 12 hours ago, now o__o;..

But a friend took me out for sushi today. I was full of salmon, tofu, and soba.

...Yesss.

Ita
01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm absolutely craving meat right now, but as it's 12.23 am here... What you gonna do when the family's sleeping? My hot chocolate will have to do for now, it's delicious.

Akemi Idane
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm chewing on unpopped popcorn seeds. It's just something to keep my mouth busy so I don't overeat too much.

StrawberrySiren
01-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I would like you all to know of my day's adventure of cake making. It started with a plan to make a cake, the likes of which have never been seen.

It was a chocolate cake. Your basic chocolate cake. With chocolate chips mixed in. Two layers of chocolatey goodness. That is not the most spectacular part. The most spectacular part was the filling, which was so immense that the end result looked more like a giant oreo nightmare. It started with the first layer of chocolate cake. Then chocolate ice cream. After that we added cheesecake filling. Which was then topped with dark chocolate mousse. The chocolate chips were sprinkled on top. Finally, the second layer of cake was placed on top.

What we ate was no mere cake. What we ingested this night was pure diabetes.

ShinobiXikyu
01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
^You've never had diabetes pie. XD
A college recipe that happened when my boyfriend's housemate made cookies...and had to use toblerone instead of chocolate chips (AND instead of cutting off a small piece, she practically threw in an entire toblerone bar), put in too much sugar, AND ran out of baking powder, so instead of neat cookies, it ran into a giant slab of dough and chocolate. You literally couldn't eat more than a few bites at a time without a sugar overload.

StrawberrySiren
01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Oh geeze. That sounds deadly! Well I just started college. I might top it in time...maybe. I probably shouldn't. This is a huge risk factor lol.

HidingintheMist
01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Just made a dinner of chow mein, fried rice, miso soup and broccoli. I'm loving it since it was a great thing to keep me busy and it was wonderful. =3= Now to burn off the carbs and calories tomorrow. It was so worth it though.

StrawberrySiren
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Now to burn off the carbs and calories tomorrow. It was so worth it though.

Ugh. That reminds me. I'm going to be erging/running/fencing some hardcore every other day this semester to cancel this whole month out...

HidingintheMist
01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Ugh. That reminds me. I'm going to be erging/running/fencing some hardcore every other day this semester to cancel this whole month out...

I like that idea. For me though, it'll just be Winter Guard and running/speedwalking wherever I go(almost every day), as well as eating healthier foods. I'm done with my junky foods for the month.

..Why must all the yummy foods be so bad for you? :C

adolf
01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Cooked mapo tofu and snowpeas for dinner. Get to pig out a bit since I had my fitness testing at school today. ♪

HomeDepot
01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Mapo tofu! Yum. Sichuan food is the best.

Lithium Flower
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
At this very moment in time I am eating Toy Story shaped Mac'n Cheese.

Flora88
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
At this very moment in time I am eating Toy Story shaped Mac'n Cheese.

You go, girl.

Brsis
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
One word;

Marmite~

Flora88
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
One word;

Marmite~

Quoi?

rubyspitfire
01-20-2011, 04:25 PM
damnit someone said cheesecake *runs off to make self sick from the sweetness*

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Eurgh, MARMITE.

My eating habits have been pretty erratic of late, since eating healthy foods is a priority but at the moment I can usually only stomach starchy things. All I want are baguettes and bananas.

Michi
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm not a vegetarian but my diet leans quite a bit in that direction anyway. I just don't like a lot of meat, won't eat stuff like steak, etc. That said, I love stuff like salami... I could probably be a pretty loose vegetarian, as in no meat but not entirely avoiding any meat byproducts. Like this mess with cheese. Haha. I will never give up cheese, no matter how it's made!

My favorite thing to cook from scratch is chicken tikka masala. I'm pretty good at it, too! I've made it for friends, parents, and roommates, and everyone's always loved it. In fact, I think I'm making it on Sunday too.
My boyfriend got the Joy of Cooking for Christmas from his uncle so we were going to start to tackle recipes in that. Far too often we just make something like macaroni or risotto out of the box rather than really cooking.

rubyspitfire
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
while i'm thinking of strange cravings:

when i was pregnant i ate nothing but steak and mashed potatoes... triple helpings of mashed potatoes... it was ridiculous. the waitresses at the local diner where i ate lunch twice a week would have nearly a whole extra pot waiting for me when they heard i was coming

i gained three-quarters of my 40 pounds in the last 2 months of my pregnancy, gave birth to a very healthy 9 pounder, and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within three months. i never even looked pregnant from the back and had guys whistling at me whenever i went to the grocery store... until i turned around. i looked like i had a beach ball under my shirt at 8 months

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 06:08 PM
OH MASHED POTATOES. Actually, I usually hate steak, but I could go for a really tender, lean cut. STUPID RANDOM CRAVINGS.

Chicken Tikka Masala is one of my most favorite dishes in the world, although I think I've only cooked it for myself once.

sam vimes
01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
OH MASHED POTATOES. Actually, I usually hate steak, but I could go for a really tender, lean cut. STUPID RANDOM CRAVINGS.

When are we going to make that bean soup? Those things have been soaking long enough!

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
When are we going to make that bean soup? Those things have been soaking long enough!

When I'm patient enough to chop the vegetables and my stomach is calm enough not to turn upside-down at the thought of bean soup.

sam vimes
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Saturday it is!

Clyde_2.0
01-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Anyone mention pizza yet? I know it's terrible for me but I had bacon pizza for dinner and it was so good... :burger:

ShinobiXikyu
01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
LOL, was debating on it. I had pizza for dinner. Yummy. It's been ages.

WendigoGirl
01-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Right now, all I want is some of those lemon oreo knockoffs XD

adolf
01-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Anyone mention pizza yet? I know it's terrible for me but I had bacon pizza for dinner and it was so good... :burger:
I had bacon and onion pizza (http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/228270273.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1295680327&Signature=0P8SW7E6f809jMetfCHrFQbPSzI%3D) for dinner last night, so good. ; o ;

For tonight's dinner I had diet pepsi and instant noodles. Healthy lifestyle for the win.

penny_dreadful
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Where I'm from, it's kind of a given that pizza is one of the primary food groups. If you live around here and you don't like pizza, you're plain old weird. My favorite pizza toppings are pepperoni and black olives; if I'm making it at home I'll add sauteed onions. I do like a nice specialty slice every now and then.

Moving on, I will eat hot sauce on practically anything. I was advised to give up spicy foods during pregnancy, but HAHAHA NO THAT IS NOT HAPPENING.

Volnixshin
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
My parents left for ten days. That's a long time to go without food, yeah? So I buy boxes of cereal, steak, ground meat, milk and mac and cheese. My brother, who some of you may know, has been visiting, the day he leaves, takes all the mac and cheese (12 boxes) the steak and ground meat, and three of the four boxes of cereal. This was the day after they left. So all my paycheck has been used on groceries and gas, so I can't buy anything else for the next nine days of food, and cereal lasts three.

Food... sigh,. wish I had ya

DaemonForce
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Moving on, I will eat hot sauce on practically anything. I was advised to give up spicy foods during pregnancy, but HAHAHA NO THAT IS NOT HAPPENING.
Are you going to name him Chipotle? o.O

penny_dreadful
01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Are you going to name him Chipotle? o.O

No.

Volnixshin
01-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Nikki Heat?

Eau de Decus
01-22-2011, 03:07 PM
So, came across these gems a while ago. While food is obviously needed to live, this will surely kill you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDv9pgHp8Q

DaemonForce
01-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Holy Jesus....

What is that?

WTF is that?! O_o
Chocolate chip bacon beer waffles
What is this feeling...Is this love?

I believe I've finally found a breakfast that's saturated with enough calories to power me for a whole 3 hours! :D

DireKitty
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I could go for some 4 cheese manicotti right about now... mmm

adolf
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Had a Costco hot dog w/ ketchup, mustard, relish, and onions on it for lunch.
And Diet Pepsi and a bag of potato chips.
With every wish chip in the bag, I wished to lose weight. Ha. :<

Archangelz
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm seriously craving the leftover enchiladas that are in the fridge right now. Sadly, I have to go on a run right now to burn the calories I'll take in when I finish and give in to the craving. It's a vicious cycle...

IAmShorty
01-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I just had a vegetarian plate from Chipotle and a Pomegranate Izze. I am now very happy ^^

DaemonForce
01-22-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm eating yakisoba and shrimp at the moment. First time I've had it in a long time. I feel like a content pregnant woman. :p

LarkaChan
01-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I recently made an almond cake with cherry filling and cream cheese icing for a tea party. :D It was delicious.

rubyspitfire
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I believe I've finally found a breakfast that's saturated with enough calories to power me for a whole 3 hours! :D

i know the feeling... that bacon-wrapped ham deep fried in beer batter looks awesome *DROOL*

I just had a vegetarian plate from Chipotle and a Pomegranate Izze. I am now very happy ^^

OMG i had steak tacos and blackberry izze from chipotle for lunch today!

ShinobiXikyu
01-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Hummus is freaking awesome. Dunno why I had reservations about it before.

IAmShorty
01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
OMG i had steak tacos and blackberry izze from chipotle for lunch today!

*high five* Smart person :D

berri.pai
01-22-2011, 11:36 PM

YES! I finally made my own hummus which ended up being soo much tastier than the store bought type...and it was so easy. Seriously, it took less than 15min.

Xanarcah
01-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Homemade Pho. Delicious, and the pot's big enough to feed me for an entire week with minimal work for about $15.

ShinobiXikyu
01-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Man, I'm surprised I haven't tried more middle-eastern cusine. My great aunt is Syrian, and she LOVES to cook (come to her house, and it's huge breakfast, all home-cooked lunch, and three-course dinner with a freshly made dessert...).
Yet to date I've only had khibi (sp? It's a kind of breaded pork&lamb dumpling), hummus and various kinds of flatbreads, and kebabs. The stuff's certainly tasty enough. And it doesn't hate me like Indian food does.

penny_dreadful
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM

That's one of my favorite things to eat... for about 25 minutes, and then I regret it.

I recently made an almond cake with cherry filling and cream cheese icing for a tea party. :D It was delicious.

Sounds wonderful! Cherry and almond are such perfect complements.

I finally got my steak and mashed potatoes (with a deep-fried onion, to boot), but I was too full for dessert. :(

Dolce
01-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I'd love a rainbow roll right now. And some shrimp fried rice that I've been craving for the past three weeks. Some crusty bread with Nutella sounds good, too. orz

MondayKosmonaut
01-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Last summer I found the most heavenly combination of foods.

Take a large plain bagel. Spread it with cream cheese. Top the cream cheese with copious amounts of Nutella. Enjoy.

It tasts like chocolate cheese cake and it is the perfect compliment to earlyearlyearly morning Metalocalypse. :) True love.

chibi_kitsune
01-24-2011, 06:10 AM
I have to say that my favorite food is tacos. I love the hard shell chicken tacos from EL Polo Loco, so delicious. I don't like a lot of meat though, I'm picky in general actually. I'm supposed to eat more fruits and vegetables and gluten-free stuff but I dislike how a lot of food taste.:lost:

HidingintheMist
01-24-2011, 11:02 AM

It really is amazing. I'm kinda hoping I can get my friends to try it one day.

That reminds me that I haven't had it in ages, so I might go get some at the store later. Depends on what I'm doing though..

Flora88
01-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Well, it's that magical time (of the month.)

I totally just ate an entire box of mango sherbet mochi. By myself.

To be fair, it was a small box, but it was still more than the recommended serving size.

Fml.

lemonskeletons
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
I had stuffed jumbo shells with marinara sauce. To drink I had white cranberry and peach juice, because its yummy.

Clyde_2.0
01-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Dinner today was a traditional Lamb Gyros, soooooo goooooood... :burger:

Brsis
01-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Well, it's that magical time (of the month.)

To be fair, it was a small box, but it was still more than the recommended serving size.

Fml.

I load up on iron rich foods and cooked fruit (Cause that's sweet but not going to gradually decrease my life expectancy...) and that seems to kill most of it, but... bleh. I feel your pain.

Speaking of iron rich foods - who else is celebrating Burns Night today? :bigtu:

DaemonForce
01-25-2011, 05:34 AM
This is totally the reason I was chubby throughout middle school. God I ****ing love sherbet. I haven't had any of it in years. It's too good. :(

penny_dreadful
01-25-2011, 04:15 PM
So, now that it turns out Taco Bell beef is only 35% beef (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70O6L420110125), what are your feelings?

Frankly, I was expecting they'd tell us it's actually mostly pig tendons and rat anus, so I'm quite relieved to hear the fillers are primarily spices, soy, and wheat. That's something I can deal with.

What say you, meat lovers? Are you crying out with demands to know where the beef is? Or are you going to keep proudly buying those double-stuffed burritos?

sam vimes
01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
So, now that it turns out Taco Bell beef is only 35% beef (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70O6L420110125), what are your feelings?

Frankly, I was expecting they'd tell us it's actually mostly pig tendons and rat anus, so I'm quite relieved to hear the fillers are primarily spices, soy, and wheat. That's something I can deal with.

What say you, meat lovers? Are you crying out with demands to know where the beef is? Or are you going to keep proudly buying those double-stuffed burritos?

Nice try, but I always preferred their chicken to their beef, which I always considered nasty. Now my judgment is proven nice and accurate, in this as in all matters.

Eau de Decus
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
So, now that it turns out Taco Bell beef is only 35% beef (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70O6L420110125), what are your feelings? Honestly? I am not surprised. I've never liked Taco Bell anyway. I prefer making my own carne asada tacos. Sounds like a tentative dinner plan now! ^__^

Clyde_2.0
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Seeing as I've only eaten at Taco Bell a grand total of three times, I don't really care. I prefer to make tacos rather than buying them, they taste better that way for some reason... :p

ieixxx
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
poooooooork cutlet......... Q-Q

Flora88
01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm totally making a quiche right now. Woo, quiche.

RinoaLnhrt
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I would love to make my Snickers cake right now. Chocolate cake with caramel and peanuts between the layers, with fluffernutter frosting...but I'm trying to get in shape for AB in April...T.T

toshirua3846384
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
All this talk about food is making want beef and broccoli so badly > x <

HomeDepot
01-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I made focaccia for the first time today. I panicked when it didn't rise as much as I expected, but apparently that is normal for that recipe and it was quite delicious.

Xanarcah
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
I just ate a whole plate of raspberries and several chocolate covered cream puffs. Con's not til April, I have time to work it off. xD;

DaemonForce
01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I just ate a whole plate of raspberries and several chocolate covered cream puffs. Con's not til April, I have time to work it off. xD;
Reading this makes me so glad I don't have to work so hard. :D

Xanarcah
01-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Reading this makes me so glad I don't have to work so hard. :D

xD Must be a blessing.

I don't technically have to "work hard" to cut down on my stomach. It's more like I have to work on not eating more chocolate covered cream puffs. Which could be hard.

DaemonForce
01-27-2011, 10:11 PM
xD Must be a blessing.

I don't technically have to "work hard" to cut down on my stomach. It's more like I have to work on not eating more chocolate covered cream puffs. Which could be hard.
Oh you would hate to be around me then. Chocolate strawberries, apricot figs, a ton of stuff that have ginger and usually some exotic flavor, delicious apple fritters, chicken pot pie...You wouldn't get fat right away but you wouldn't want to go back to your ordinary eating habits either. :/

rubyspitfire
01-27-2011, 10:16 PM

i heard they put silica (you know the little packets that come in shoe boxes and say "do not eat"?) in their beef... every time i get something with chicken there is a giant wad of gristle, so i usually only get steak from there. lately i haven't been eating there much at all since there's a really good local real mexican restaurant that gives you twice the food for about the same price, and when you call in your order for pickup it usually only takes 10 minutes

adolf
01-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Had dinner at my friend's house while studying for my bio test tomorrow..
Fried chicken, potato, and green beans. Good stuff.

Xanarcah
01-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh you would hate to be around me then. Chocolate strawberries, apricot figs, a ton of stuff that have ginger and usually some exotic flavor, delicious apple fritters, chicken pot pie...You wouldn't get fat right away but you wouldn't want to go back to your ordinary eating habits either. :/

My ordinary eating habits include dessert. o: Every night, somewhere between 6PM and 9PM. That's how I grew up.

Also, ginger is delicious.

Flora88
01-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Accidental badass recipe: Asparagus pastries. :D

Ingredients:
Pastry dough (of your choice)
fresh asparagus
lemon juice (just a little)
Laughing Cow cheese with herbs

Roll it up. Bake that shit at 400 degrees for about ten minutes, and...yay! :D

Autumnfox13
01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Hmmm food my favorite
it can keep any cosplayer perfectly happy
So i guess what I've been eating lately is mostly rice
I like to cook it in butter for a few minutes then pour teriyaki sauce and brown sugar over it
sometimes I'll do the same to veggies then mis them into the rice
asparagus and green beans are the best carrots suck

I'm big on meat too I enjoy pork chops chicken wings bacon and beef ribs
yesterday I had some great sushi and egg drop soup at a buffet I ate until I felt like I'd throw up

and as for cravings I really want some pickle (kosher I hate dills) ramen (chicken or beef) and blueberry milk (Not all mixed together though! >u<)

well I've said much more than needed
but hey it's one my favorite things to talk about!

now I'm getting hungry good thing dinner's soon!

penny_dreadful
01-30-2011, 06:54 PM
I really want some pickle (kosher I hate dills)

You do know dill pickles are frequently Kosher, right? And you do know Kosher means it's been prepared in accordance with the regulations of Jewish dietary law, it's not actually a pickle flavor, right?

ANYHOODLE, we went out for American-Italian tonight (we meant to go to Chili's, don't judge, but they were packed) and I got a pretty good pizza, but I could only eat half. Then I had the other half boxed up, but I left it in the restaurant.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/114/1140374/hulk-bear_1292446390.gif

And when I realized what had happened, I got so angry that I threw a nearby bear. Sorry, bear.

ashelia89
01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
I dunno...food wise I started preparing many chicken dishes and beef just took 3rd place for me in the food chain >.> ,the sad thing is though lately when I'm thawing out meats to prepare I get that revolting feeling of carcass in a bag [I don't root for either or sides of the food choices whether vegan or non vegan ] I do have to admit that feeling is slightly ruining it for me >.>

on better notes though I miss that cheap Totinos pizza...the 3 cheese kind...

@ penny dreadful : LOL at pic of bear being thrown XD

penny_dreadful
01-30-2011, 08:21 PM
on better notes though I miss that cheap Totinos pizza...the 3 cheese kind...

Oh. My. God. When I was a kid, whenever we went to my beloved Great Aunt Viv's house, she'd have a freezer stocked with Totino's Party Pizza. We'd always eat Party Pizzas, her special pasta-tuna salad, tomato slices with a little salt, iced tea from the powdered mix, and those Fla-Vor-Ice things. Ohhhh, nostalgia.

PinkApple
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Made Pad Thai for the first time today~!
And then for dessert...frozen greek yogurt with blueberries n strawberries :> mmmmm.

Purple Platyus
01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Clafoutis. Must try it. P'=

ShinobiXikyu
01-30-2011, 10:29 PM
My mouth just went to heaven. O_O
Dad made cinnamon rolls, and I got to have one fresh out of the oven, and for once it was PERFECTLY baked, soft and not burned (trick; DON'T cook them as long as they say on the tube, and cook them in a dish, not a pan). AWWWWWESOME.

korokuXneo
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM
I really want some real teriaki sweet-n-sour chicken right now... Not the cheap American stuff, but authentic Japanese food

ToroSonyCat
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm a vegetarian and vegetarian-specialised food is the most delicious thing ever.
Non-vegetarian people should eat it more often just because it is so delicious.
It really annoys me when someone says "That looks delicious, but it's vegetarian"
SO WHAT? It's not limited to vegetarians only!

Also, I wish I had some carrot cake right now.
Homemade of course.

sam vimes
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I really want some real teriaki sweet-n-sour chicken right now... Not the cheap American stuff, but authentic Japanese food

Bought where, exactly?

Flora88
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm a vegetarian and vegetarian-specialised food is the most delicious thing ever.
Non-vegetarian people should eat it more often just because it is so delicious.
It really annoys me when someone says "That looks delicious, but it's vegetarian"
SO WHAT? It's not limited to vegetarians only!

Also, I wish I had some carrot cake right now.
Homemade of course.

You're brilliant! I'mma make one!

Autumnfox13
01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE]You do know dill pickles are frequently Kosher, right? And you do know Kosher means it's been prepared in accordance with the regulations of Jewish dietary law, it's not actually a pickle flavor, right?/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't know.
Well I guess what I was trying to say I hate sweet pickles but I love the salty sour ones
but right now I'm really craving cream puffs

korokuXneo
01-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Bought where, exactly?

Made at home.

InkRaven
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
A good amount of Morrocan recipes are actually pretty simple. Chickpeas, green bell peppers,a and onions... cooked in the chickpea broth from the can = SO MUCH FLAVOR. Also the house smells amazing afterwards, which made me sad because we ate all the food and I wanted more :c

penny_dreadful
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Really? I didn't know.
Well I guess what I was trying to say I hate sweet pickles but I love the salty sour ones
but right now I'm really craving cream puffs

Bread & butter pickles are sweet; dill pickles are usually salty and sour. I am not a bread & butter fan, but garlic dills are AMAZING.

And I never say no to a cream puff. XD

On carrot cake: this (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Cake-with-Maple-Cream-Cheese-Icing-102155) is my favorite carrot cake recipe. It gets rave reviews every time I make it. I love carrot cake so much, we served it at our wedding (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10128270@N02/2763035982/in/set-72157600861346588/).

HidingintheMist
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I bought some Girl Scout cookies last night, and the only bad thing about the Thin Mints is that they're so addicting! :c

For four bucks a box, I'm not buying more than one.

InitialA
02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm learning new recipes all the time since I'm living on my own for the first time.

But I cannot for the life of me make meatloaf like my mother does. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, either! D=

Flora88
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Who had cupcakes for breakfast? THIS GIRL! :D

penny_dreadful
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I bought some Girl Scout cookies last night, and the only bad thing about the Thin Mints is that they're so addicting! :c

For four bucks a box, I'm not buying more than one.

I just ordered a box of Thin Mints and a box of Tagalongs, but DANG $4 a box. Not cool, Girl Scouts. I'm searching for copycat recipes so I can make my own next time.

I'm learning new recipes all the time since I'm living on my own for the first time.

But I cannot for the life of me make meatloaf like my mother does. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, either! D=

Ehhh, nobody ever seems to be able to perfect their parents' beloved recipes, don't feel too bad. My grandmother made amazing pasta e fagioli, but even though the recipe only has, like, five ingredients, my mother and I could never duplicate it.

Who had cupcakes for breakfast? THIS GIRL! :D

Who's jelly? THIS GIRL.

Mangochutney
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Fuck yeah hummus. HUMMUS AND PICKLED PEPPERS

I am what I eat and thus I am a garbanzo bean. A cannibalistic garbanzo bean.

Michi
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM

I don't wanna be "that guy" but sweet-n-sour chicken is not authentic Japanese food.

Mangochutney
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
That's a dirty lie, Michi. General Tso has offered me his personal assurance that it's the real deal.

Michi
02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
There's something wrong if it's showing up on a Japanese food menu rather than a Chinese food menu in the first place...!

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm making a pot roast at the current moment.
A long wait, but well worth it.

daylight
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
if i go to the store with my mom
she'll buy COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAY
http://www.bfeedme.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/cookie.jpg

ShinobiXikyu
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Pfffff. Just MADE cookies here, and they're damn delicious. =3 You can never go wrong with chocolate chip.

HidingintheMist
02-02-2011, 02:01 AM
I just ordered a box of Thin Mints and a box of Tagalongs, but DANG $4 a box. Not cool, Girl Scouts. I'm searching for copycat recipes so I can make my own next time.

If you find any good ones, let me know! ^^
There were these mint chips that I bought awhile back that could duplicate the taste a bit when melted down correctly, but theres always something missing.

The girl scouts should have a cookbook..

Arlette
02-02-2011, 01:53 PM
I've been on a slow carb diet (this is my third week) but I'm getting so tired of just eating chicken, steak and eggs! Today I cheated a little, but it was not heinous cheating. I got a kid's meal from McDonald's with chicken nuggets, but with apple slices and milk instead of fries and soda. I also got a My Little Pony out of the deal!

UsakoLuna
02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Roast is cooking in the crock pot, potatoes are waiting to be peeled for mashed potatoes and I'm probably going to throw together a boxed brownie mix if we have one. Dinner is going to be yummy!

penny_dreadful
02-02-2011, 02:27 PM
The girl scouts should have a cookbook..

Ah, but it wouldn't be nearly as profitable as getting people to pay $4 for a little box of cookies!

lyraparry11
02-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I love almost all food, but I cannot stand dairy products. I'm not allergic or anything, they just gross me out. My dad is off fetching supper right now, were having chilis to go.

Pokeboy
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Making brocoli soup at the moment <3

I feel all healthy and junk

Xanarcah
02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Attempt at eating garlic bread with smoked Brie for dinner: failure - bread was still frozen on the inside.
Attempt at eating omelette for dinner: failure - not enough cheese to mask the eggy taste and the egg was still quibbly. D:
Attempt at eating instant noodles for dinner: in progress.

UsakoLuna
02-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Roast was yummy! Brownies never happened

penny_dreadful
02-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Nacho mints (http://nachosny.com/2011/02/nacho-mints-a-queso-the-munchies/). In other news, WHERE DO I GET THE BACON GUMBALLS?

Pocketfightr
02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Don't know about bacon gumballs, but bacon mints were gross beyond belief. Unlike that article for nacho mints, they kept the mint smell/flavor with the bacon smell/flavor.

Flora88
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
"Soul Food" today.

sam vimes
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
You know what would hit the spot right now?

Thai food.

EDIT: Or, now that's it's been brought up, soul food. Chitlins and hush puppies and collards, oh my.

penny_dreadful
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
You know what would hit the spot right now?

Thai food.

EDIT: Or, now that's it's been brought up, soul food. Chitlins and hush puppies and collards, oh my.

I would not say no to Thai. Fried food, on the other hand, is not so much my friend right now.

Flora88
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
@penny
Yeah, I don't so much do the fried stuff as the turnip greens and beans and biscuits and stuff. Good on a cold day, and, since school is canceled for today, I can get the itis (http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l40p58DK1h1qzp1hc.jpg) if I want to. :D

Randomly, those Jello Temptations things aren't bad. The strawberry cheesecake kind was pretty good.

ToroSonyCat
02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I had these delicious Thorntons ginger and dark chocolate cookies, I really want some more.

My friend is having a birthday meal at a Chinese buffet and I really want to go because it's my friend and I love Chinese buffet but I can't drain money which could be used for cosplay like this T__T (I spent 15 on a Chinese buffet for another friends birthday meal the other week)

I'll be having a Pizza Hut pizza tomorrow though for my birthday *A*
Am I the only one that thinks takeaway pizzas from Pizza Hut are nicer than ones which they give you when you sit inside and eat? XD
I don't know why...

penny_dreadful
02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I'll be having a Pizza Hut pizza tomorrow though for my birthday *A*
Am I the only one that thinks takeaway pizzas from Pizza Hut are nicer than ones which they give you when you sit inside and eat? XD
I don't know why...

It can be forgiven if you're not from New York. It's a proven fact that quality of pizza diminishes in direct proportion to distance from the Five Boroughs.

ETA: @Flora, as you can imagine, it can be a challenge to find decent soul food in the Northeast. It's one of the only things I resent about living here.

Flora88
02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
It can be forgiven if you're not from New York. It's a proven fact that quality of pizza diminishes in direct proportion to distance from the Five Boroughs.

ETA: @Flora, as you can imagine, it can be a challenge to find decent soul food in the Northeast. It's one of the only things I resent about living here.

Mos def.
Each region has its own specialty. NYC pizza is pretty awesome. In Houston, it's fusion food, randomly. You'd think it would be something Southwestern, but yeah. Houston prides itself on being super-multicultural, so we end up with a lot of restaurants that do weird fusions of things. For example, there's an Indian-Thai fusion place at the end of my road, right across from a Japanese grocery store and a Tuscan bakery. Random.

sam vimes
02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
When it comes to food, urban areas have it made in the shade.

Michi
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I have been expanding my tea collection lately. I just made myself some jasmine green tea, and ordered a tin of ginger peach green tea online. Somehow I don't have oolong tea yet so I'm gonna hafta remedy that soon.

sam vimes
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I recently got into tea in a big way, thanks to my wife introducing me to something besides the Lipton I was raised on. I don't think I would have made it through the winter so far without it.

penny_dreadful
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I have been expanding my tea collection lately. I just made myself some jasmine green tea, and ordered a tin of ginger peach green tea online. Somehow I don't have oolong tea yet so I'm gonna hafta remedy that soon.

Is there a place you particularly like to get tea from? I'm always on the lookout for new tea vendors.

I'm not a big fan of green tea in general, because I'm a lame-o tea drinker and I like things that aren't too bitter, and I also like blends I can drink with milk and honey. My all-time favorite is Zhena's Gypsy Tea Earl Greater Grey (http://www.gypsytea.com/Earl-Greater-Grey-P503C8.aspx).

When we got married, I got a fancy wine tower (http://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Wood-Tower-Espresso-Finish/dp/B000GLJZUY) thinking we'd be hosting dinners and parties fairly regularly (HA). Now the partitions that are meant to hold bottles hold my boxes of tea, instead, which I think is a much better arrangement. :D

Flora88
02-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! I've got one! Te House of Tea! (http://www.tehouseoftea.com/store) They blend their own tea, it's usually either organic or Fair Trade or both, and it's all delicious.

Their black tea, "African Nights" is wonderful. :D

Michi
02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Is there a place you particularly like to get tea from? I'm always on the lookout for new tea vendors.

...Trader Joe's?

Haha not really. I just ordered my first special couldn't-find-in-stores tea, which was from Republic of Tea (off Amazon though). My green tea & jasmine green tea are Trader Joe's brand. One of my favorite non-green teas would be Bigelow's Sweet Dreams tea. It's chamomile and mint and delicious.

I have a mango black tea that's too bitter for me but my attempts to make it better with milk and honey have failed me. :(

I'm not a big fan of green tea in general, because I'm a lame-o tea drinker and I like things that aren't too bitter, and I also like blends I can drink with milk and honey.

Green tea isn't bitter! Well, I mean, traditionally yes it is, but not the kind they normally sell here.

sam vimes
02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Green tea isn't bitter! Well, I mean, traditionally yes it is, but not the kind they normally sell here.

Silence your mouth!

Less for her means more for me.

HarpieSuki
02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Marmite and cream cheese on crumpets! <33

ShinobiXikyu
02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
On the tea topic, when I take the stuff (I'm not a huge tea drinker. My boyfriend is, though, and has kind of pulled me into drinking it more than I usually would) and not just regular black/earl grey/orange pekoe swimming in milk and sugar, I drink peppermint tea. Doesn't need sugar, clears up your respiratory passages AND helps settle your stomach and helps you sleep. I frequently have problems with all three, so it's my miracle tea. XD

IAmShorty
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Mmmm Chocolate popcorn and Star Trek the movie. It was a good night.

Eau de Decus
02-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Dinner time! - Habanero chilli...MmMmmmmMm delicious

Xanarcah
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
We made Spam Musubi last night. It is super delicious. <3

I think I might add it to the list of foods I want to prepare for cons since it's so easy to individually saran wrap them and carry them around.

penny_dreadful
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
On the tea topic, when I take the stuff (I'm not a huge tea drinker. My boyfriend is, though, and has kind of pulled me into drinking it more than I usually would) and not just regular black/earl grey/orange pekoe swimming in milk and sugar, I drink peppermint tea. Doesn't need sugar, clears up your respiratory passages AND helps settle your stomach and helps you sleep. I frequently have problems with all three, so it's my miracle tea. XD

Peppermint tea is a godsend. I'm also super into ginger tea right now, since I've got morning sickness ("morning" is a misnomer, it starts when I wake up and pretty much goes until I fall asleep at night) pretty badly and if it helps settle my stomach, I need to have it on me AT ALL TIMES.

Brsis
02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I stayed off this thread for a week because I had gastric flu and evening thinking about food was dangerous - I come back and you're talking about tea?

I WILL NEVER LEAVE AGAIN.

Michi
02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
My peach ginger green tea arrived today! Though I dunno if I'll have enough downtime before I head to work to drink it. Perhaps after work, then!

Currently my boyfriend and I are in love with pineapple salsa from Trader Joe's. Both times we've bought it, it was consumed in a single sit down with chips and Arrested Development. Two jars next time, perhaps!

sam vimes
02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
pineapple salsa

New goal for the week: obtain this.

Cadmium Polyphony
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Mmmm Chocolate popcorn and Star Trek the movie. It was a good night.

I'd say that depends on which Star Trek. The Motion Picture, or Abrams'?

sam vimes
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I liked the new Star Trek for what is was. Then again, I never was big on the Star Trek universe anyway.

Cadmium Polyphony
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
I liked the new Star Trek for what is was. Then again, I never was big on the Star Trek universe anyway.

I liked it to, but it wasnt a star trek film. At all. That was my biggest issue.

And the reference to Porthos put me into a mild fit of nerd-rage in the theatre. Thankfully I was surrounded by Trekkers, and a few Trekkies, so it was okay.

sam vimes
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
And with that you just reminded me to add Trekkies to our Netflix.

Food Topic: I may eat Wendy's tonight. It's okay; I'm America.

...PD, if you're reading this, don't forget to put the last Netflix DVDs in the mailbox tonight or tomorrow.

penny_dreadful
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Currently my boyfriend and I are in love with pineapple salsa from Trader Joe's. Both times we've bought it, it was consumed in a single sit down with chips and Arrested Development. Two jars next time, perhaps!

I really, really wish I didn't have to drive 40 minutes to get to the nearest Trader Joe's.

ETA: I'll see if I can figure out where in the car they wound up, SV. Enjoy your America.

Michi
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I feel pretty spoiled because my relatively hippie county has a lot of Trader Joe's stores in it. The closest market to our condo is, in fact, a Trader Joe's. We're moving at the end of April though, so I really hope we'll still be close to one. We're also in love with their "Harvest Peach" juice right now. :heart:

UsakoLuna
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I love tea. I drink it a lot since unlike coffee I don't put milk and sugar in it. So it's caffeine and not a lot of calories. Not to mention it's tasty

Big appleton
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
oh god, the jar of blueberry perserves is the food of the dieties, It's sooooo good. I swear I'm gonna get diabetes on overloading on fructose :D

HCO84
02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Just finished the largest cup of Thai iced tea~ soo good!

Shuko
02-07-2011, 11:43 PM
The Chinese buffet down the road from my work serves the most incredible honey chicken I've ever eaten... Oh man... I have to be so careful, because I'm watching my sugar intake. xD

Their sesame chicken isn't bad either. :3 I love lots of different kinds of Chinese food, but the chicken dishes especially. ^_^

IAmShorty
02-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Cauliflower and Italian meat sauce. Best Dinner. Ever!

rubyspitfire
02-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Their sesame chicken isn't bad either

thank you for reminding me i have some of this in my fridge ^_^ midnight snack time!

penny_dreadful
02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
It smells like fried chicken (edit: AND BISCUITS) in here. That isn't even fair.

Xanarcah
02-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I have this amazing craving for Dim Sum right now. .-. I wish there was a place that served Dim Sum at all hours of the day instead of just the middle of the day.

Instead I'm eating leftover Spam Musubi. Which is delicious, but it does not even begin to compare to shumai and steamed shrimp balls and rice noodle rolls and...

penny_dreadful
02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
I ate too many Jamaican beef wontons (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Jamaican-Beef-Dumplings-352858), and then I ate chocolate chip cookies. Pity me.

Clyde_2.0
02-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Nutella... I think I'm addicted.

sicdedman
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Red Potatoes,Cauliflower,Shrimp,Chicken, and Rolls. pretty good healthy dinner.

UsakoLuna
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I had a peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich with goldfish crackers, a cheesestick and apple juice for lunch. It was very yummy

Ichigogami
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Raspberry, Strawberry, mango sorbet, berry sorbet, apple juice Smoothie...and baked chips....not the most healthy meal...but it was lunch...@_@

sam vimes
02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Taco Bell at 1:30 in the morning.

Ugh.

ShinobiXikyu
02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
I've now had white hot chocolate. I dunno what to think. It's chocolate, but it's nto typical chocolate, and it's RIDICULOUSLY sweet.
....and that's coming from someone who used to put about four spoonfuls of sugar in pre-sweetened cereal and still consumes probably half a bag of sugar a day (And yet, no cavities EVER, and no diabetes...).

Brsis
02-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I've now had white hot chocolate. I dunno what to think. It's chocolate, but it's nto typical chocolate, and it's RIDICULOUSLY sweet.
....and that's coming from someone who used to put about four spoonfuls of sugar in pre-sweetened cereal and still consumes probably half a bag of sugar a day (And yet, no cavities EVER, and no diabetes...).

I used to drink that all the time in Japan, it was my main comfort drink! Have you tried mint hot chocolate? For me, that strikes a nice balance of being slightly sweeter and richer (as well as a nice change) than regular chocolate, without the KISS YOUR TEETH GOODBYE punch of white.

Now I mostly drink Horlicks at home, though. Or Ovaltine with about six sugars in it.

ShinobiXikyu
02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Mint hot chocolate, yes. I LOVE it. Either the pre-mixed mint hot chocolate, or I get a mint flavour shot when I buy a cup of hot chocolate

penny_dreadful
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Oh, white chocolate is not actual chocolate (http://www.joyofbaking.com/WhiteChocolate.html). That's an important distinction. I'm no tremendous chocolate fan to begin with, and mostly I can't stomach white chocolate because-- like you said-- TOO SWEET.

Another important distinction: many people think those candy melts you get for doing molds and whatnot are chocolate, but they're only vaguely chocolate-adjacent. Note that even the brown-colored ones are labeled "light cocoa," "dark cocoa," that sort of thing.

I must confess one of the few things I miss are giant, over-sweetened, thousand-calorie lattes. It's not even that I miss the caffeine, I just miss my tremendous coffee-flavored hot drinks. Forget a beer or a margarita, the first thing I want after our kid is born is one of those things from Starbucks bigger than your stomach.

Flora88
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
YAY, veggie pizza! :D

rubyspitfire
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
i am still on a "fake" sushi craze after a month of eating it nearly every day... and just snacking on imitation crab when i don't feel like going through the hassle of making sushi rolls

but i hate imitation crab!

Xanarcah
02-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I am addicted to Flaming Hot Cheetos.

I don't even like spicy food. D:

So I'm eating them and going "Ow ow ow, hot hot hot! D:"

penny_dreadful
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
We haven't had it in a while, so tonight we're cooking sausage and peppers. The packet of sausage I got said "high quality pork sausage - without fennel." Do you know what's listed in the ingredients? Fennel.

Doesn't really bother me, I grew up on Italian sausage with fennel, but it's yet another good reason to always read the ingredient list.

Brsis
02-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Oh, white chocolate is not actual chocolate (http://www.joyofbaking.com/WhiteChocolate.html). That's an important distinction. I'm no tremendous chocolate fan to begin with, and mostly I can't stomach white chocolate because-- like you said-- TOO SWEET.

I have to say, one ingredient doesn't make that whole much of a difference to my enjoyment of it. It's used by chocolatiers to make confections of sugary cocoa goodness that satisfies my cravings - that's chocolate enough for me.

On the subject of chocolate, is there any reason why chocolate should suddenly be leaving a bitter aftertaste? I've been working my way through several bars over the last couple of days and either my tastebuds are suddenly and inexplicably screwed, or the Day of Reckoning has come and Kraft has completely ruined Cadburys FOR EVER.

In other news, if I hear one more person mispronounce marscapone (Or call it cheese! DOES IT LOOK LIKE CHEESE?) I will scream. And then eat an entire tub mixed with icing sugar and vanilla dumped on top of filo pastry and hot stewed cherries. Again.

Flora88
02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
RECIPE TYME!!!

Okay, this is the recipe for the best pancakes in the entire world. Seriously. The Best. And, odds are, you can make them with stuff you already have in your kitchen.

My Mother's Pancakes

2 c. flour 3 t. baking powder
1/2 c. sugar 1 egg
1/3 c. oil 2. c. milk
1 t. salt

Whisk together dry ingredients. Add oil, egg and milk. Whisk until no longer lumpy. Use a ladle to put batter onto griddle. Flip when the whole pancake is covered with bubbles.
Add about 1/2 c. chocolate chips or blueberries (but dredge them in flour first if using thawed blueberries.)

EVEN MOAR RECIPES!

Pecan Pie Muffins

1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c. flour
2 eggs
1/2 c. melted butter

Combine flour, sugar and butter. Beat eggs 'til foamy. Add to batter. Add pecans. Spoon mixture into muffin cups (2/3 full.) Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

(I have no idea why I'm doing this.)

penny_dreadful
02-13-2011, 12:52 PM
In other news, if I hear one more person mispronounce marscapone (Or call it cheese! DOES IT LOOK LIKE CHEESE?) I will scream. And then eat an entire tub mixed with icing sugar and vanilla dumped on top of filo pastry and hot stewed cherries. Again.

Actually, it's mascarpone, and it is a cheese in the way that cream cheese is cheese, which is only tangentially but still technically cheese. Sorry, misspellings on Italian restaurant menus are a continual peeve of mine.

It sure is delicious, though. I like to use it for dessert nachos.

Brsis
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Actually, it's mascarpone, and it is a cheese in the way that cream cheese is cheese, which is only tangentially but still technically cheese. Sorry, misspellings on Italian restaurant menus are a continual peeve of mine.

Oh bugger, I should have caught that one. I type faster than I read >.> Blame the borked Cadburys.

ETA: Bleh, this got rather over enthusiastic, but in summary - it says cream on the tub, it behaves more like cream than cheese, even cream cheese, which I personally think is an evil semantic trick and the work of the devil, it's replaceable in recipes with clotted cream but not cream cheese (Well... okay, you COULD, but I will look down upon you for screwing with a perfectly good recipe) and I'm not sure what the criteria for 'cheese' is, but it can't be bacteria (which is involved much earlier to make creme fraiche, which is Not A Cheese, and then you add acid, usually lemon juice, to get mascarpone) but if it's butterfat content, which pops up on Wikipedia a lot, mascarpone has half the content of cream cheese, and if it's the separation of curds and whey, cream cheese involves the removal of whey, mascarpone doesn't.

Also it says cream on the tub and if it's not a cream, I'm going to sit and glare at Waitrose's dairy counter for hours. Probably eating their delicious, delicious Devonshire clotted cream, which I am least confident about.

DAMNIT NOW I WANT DAIRY. The corset's meant to be going down another inch this month, this is counter-productive to my waistline.