PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 Butterfly Knife Prop Item?

a600hz
01-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey guys. I'm deciding to cosplay as The Spy from Team Fortress 2 but I have a concern.. You see I really want to have the Prop ButterFly Knife and I'm pretty sure that gravity knifes are illegal in california. Now I decided to make a cardboard butterfly knife which is 5 inches in length I guess it would be close in size to a real gravity knife. But because I'm sure these knifes are illegal in california I'm afraid a police would think it is real.. thus getting into a lot of trouble ._.

Now I know it is a obvious answer "Just don't do it" I was wondering if I would actually be able to get them through weapons check from Anime Expo (were they put a green zip tie to show it is allowed in the convention ) or would I have to make a oversized one that just looks plain ridiculous and obviously fake ._. Or.. Should I just not take the risk! OooR! Should i use one of those blow up plastic daggers haha xD

Any ways :D Any information is good!

Ditto
01-13-2011, 01:35 PM
A couple years ago I saw a spy cosplayer with a balisong made out of popsicle sticks. No clue if AX would let you have it, but it's worth a shot.

tutorial I found (I'm sure there are others): http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-wooden-balisong-tranier/

glitter bomb
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
if it's a prop made out of cardboard or wood, I don't think any of the security are going to think it's real and confiscate it. it will feel much lighter than a real knife, and unless you're a master effects painter it won't look the same (probably just fine for photos though :) ) so I wouldn't worry about it being mistaken as real, just read up on the specific cons rules about props. there are some interesting tuts on the link that Ditto provided, I'd check that out.

If it were me, I'd totally make a prop butterfly knife for the Spy. being able to do work a butterfly open and close is really easy to learn (I think I did it in 1-2 afternoons, on both hands, while reading or watching tv). and it'll look very cool with your costume. :)

Ditto
01-14-2011, 03:01 PM
if it's weighted properly it's quite easy to learn to use. Like glitter bomb said, it's really not hard to learn to do some basic flips.
I have a trainer balisong and learned basic open and close in a day, it got fast and fluid in a weekend.
Youtube has a bunch of tutorials on basic and even more advanced moves you can watch.

Sakanoue Ayame
02-19-2011, 11:09 AM
At a convention I found the con acceptable, peace bonded and general weapons seller guy. The sort of sells swords and decommissioned guns. And I bought a butterfly knife bottle opener, that is legal in Britain, and was actually sold at a convention. (Btw, the 'blade' end, doesn't have any sharp edges so chill):

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/Elelith/Photoon2011-02-19at16403.jpg

Wonder if it could somehow get that, and alter the bottle opening part. Change out the 'blade' for a heavy plastic piece? I'm not sure...

SvK
02-19-2011, 11:47 AM
The spy's butterfly knife is huge, so you should make an oversized prop.
Here's a picture (http://www.ubercharged.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/spy-cornered.jpg) The knife's handle is twice the width of the spy's hand, so probably 7 or 8 inches. The blade is that long again.

ClassicCinema
04-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I actually found a plastic butterfly knife at a Halloween store (if you can find one at a Halloween store I'm sure it would be okay for you to carry it around at a con) that I plan to mod to look like Spy's. it was really inexpensive and it works like a real one, only thing I don't like about it is it's weight. I'm sure you could find one online.