PDA

View Full Version : Protect your privacy

stardust760
01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age. Remove yourself by searching your name, find the URL of your page, then go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

a friend of mine posted this on fb so i thought id post it here to let you guys know. nobody needs to know all your personal info, if you feel the same way follow the instructions and remove yourself from this site. sometimes your name wont come up if not be safe and check your email.

DaemonForce
01-12-2011, 11:27 PM
This is exactly what you get for using Facebook and such. :/

If you have an online identity where you have entered any personal information, this is what happens. Also, I think I should be the only one that knows what I'm worth. $86K is quite a number compared to everyone else but for others...I'm just hoping the idiots on my block don't get any ideas.

Also, there is no privacy.

Lithium Flower
01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
:/ dude websites got my old phone number and the apartment number I lived with, complete with a damn map of my front door. It's even got my mother on there. It's all old information however. I don't have that address or phone number anymore. Though it's pretty unnerving.

I can't do anything without registering though.

Oh look it's even got me as single, and my worth at $299k and if I am living in an apartment or not. HA HA how fun >:|

stardust760
01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
i didnt have to just copy the url and click the pivacy button either on the side or bottom of the page

Lithium Flower
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM
i didnt have to just copy the url and click the pivacy button either on the side or bottom of the page

Right after I said that I found it xD Derp derp @ Me

Kildread
01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
*Happily not in the US*

Though that site is slightly unnerving.

Hey, there's lots of US folks with the same full name as me!

EDIT: It should be renamed to eStalk.com

UsakoLuna
01-13-2011, 12:22 AM
happily, when I search my name, I don't come up. My twitter pops up with my user name, but I don't post overly sensitive things, so that's okay.

Lithium Flower
01-13-2011, 01:03 AM
EDIT: It should be renamed to eStalk.com

eStalk.com- The fastest way to find that girl from High School you never got a chance with, time to woo her with unwanted gifts and showing up at her boyfriends work with a chainsaw.

Volnixshin
01-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Well they can search my name all they want, theres more than seven of ME

Yui
01-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Aw, none of me, and I *do* use FB and Flickr. That's kinda disappointing, because I would love to see what the internet thinks I'm worth. >XD
I never turn up in any search engine ever though, basically since my full name is simply too short for searches to process.

Codename Otacon
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm not in there. *Wipe my sweat away*

Eau de Decus
01-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Looks like I'm there, but some of the information is fairly dated. It has my old car, which I haven't had for over a year since it caught on fire. It also says that I'm worth 252k, which I'm assuming is the household income and not just me. It oddly got my relationship status right, but it might have just guessed at. It also shows that both my sisters live here, but only one does. Hmm, hit or miss site.

kiratsukai
01-13-2011, 02:10 AM
There are only 6,000 other data mining companies like this out there who can sell anyone the same information...

If you REALLY want to protect your privacy, don't post your personal information in the public realm.

If it can be found in a google search, the tax record, the phone book, the newspaper, or printed on your mailbox: it's public information and anyone out there can look it up whenever they like. They've always been able to, only now they can do it much more quickly thanks to the advent of the internet.

If you have information you don't want others to know: don't share it publically.
Otherwise, welcome to the information age: you are now another viable product :) So guard your credit card numbers, ID cards, passport information and all that jazz carefully, lest you end up a victim of legit identity theft and REAL privacy problems.

Though I do find it particularly classy that Spokeo warns that 3rd party sites will not remove the information as well and that if you don't want your life to be totally ruined, you'll buy this great privacy-enabling software their sponsor is hawking. ~niiiiice~

In either case, someone stalking me would get a lot farther (for a lot cheaper) just by typing my name into Facebook.

Axelai
01-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Nothing on me~! And i use FB. OH WELL. I feel left out.

My mom is on there, though. Complete with updated information. TOO BAD ALL THAT INFO IS ON HER OWN WEBSITE ANYWAYS... since we own a business.

stardust760
01-13-2011, 02:41 AM
ya my parents were on their and their not on fb or any of that

Chipface
01-13-2011, 06:21 AM
I googled myself, other people with the same name. Googled my name + facebook and still didn't find my facebook. Seems I'm good.

nannyogg
01-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Considering my name is completely unique, I appreciate being alerted to that as it did have my correct address and I don't want that being public info. I followed the instructions then went back through, and now it's deleted my entry. Yay!

SweetOcarina
01-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm on there and I'm not in the US. Info is outdated though. Says I'm 16. I wish... >_>

Kildread
01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm on there and I'm not in the US. Info is outdated though. Says I'm 16. I wish... >_>

Are you sure it's actually you? It doesn't seem to have records of people from anywhere other than the US as far as personal info is included.

Searches through all the other social networks return people from elsewhere though.

doxiequeen1
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
I've had issues before with people...AKA someone pretended to be a 9 year old girl. I kinda thought "this doesn't line up" So I googled the city and last name and found "her" father, So what did I do? I found the phone number of the school "she" would go too. What did I find? Their wasn't a girl of that name attending the school.

So I found the families phone number, and address. And confronted "her" about it. Turns out Sabrina is a 23 year old guy heh. Since then I have found personal information for 2 other people and called them out on lying to various people to get money and games. Because I found their *real* male facebooks teehee.

I also found another friend I met through skype we had a "stalking battle" We both had eachothers ages, last name, and state.

I found his address and phone number that day :3 He never found mine...mwahahha

But, stalking CAN be used for good mostly against lying idiots you meet through xbox live. And that website couldn't find me lolol. AND you do know that websites like that grow by you typing in your email/address/phone number trying to find "yourself" right? But smart people don't need websites like that. Just about 6 hours, google, and motive xD

/yesi'mcreepy

SweetOcarina
01-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Are you sure it's actually you? It doesn't seem to have records of people from anywhere other than the US as far as personal info is included.

Searches through all the other social networks return people from elsewhere though.

Has my current MSN picture up and links to all my social networking sites and various blog entries. It doesn't have the amount of information as it does on Americans, admittedly. It also has my full name which I only use on my 'unsearchable' facebook account.

DaemonForce
01-13-2011, 09:20 AM
i'mcreepy
<3

There are two problems with all this stupid data: America and the Internet. If the source is American and it's on teh Intarwebs...Chances are it will be there forever. I'll remove my data if I can but it will more than likely pop up elsewhere the next morning. >.>'

MermaidRizu
01-13-2011, 09:29 AM
What is up with all of the depressing threads in the off-topic forum? T_T

DaemonForce
01-13-2011, 09:38 AM
What is up with all of the depressing threads in the off-topic forum? T_T
People are horrible horrible beings. It's that simple. Weeeeeee! :D

krys-chan
01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Nothing on my name :) I'm happy (though I did find stuff on my email address -_- )

Stormraven24
01-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Thank god I'm not on there. Then again, I don't post personal info online. This is partially why I loathe things like Facebook: people get too excited about maybe possibly finding old friends that they volunteer so much info that should be kept private :/ Just saying.

rubyspitfire
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM
i've had my information removed from this site before and it is still up... hmm

Eriol
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
This site collects data from publicly accessible sources and has aggregated them. In the past, it was usually your financial, employment, and address information. Now, it seems these companies have mined social media sites to retrieve non-financial information.

If you have a credit card, taken out a loan, own a title to a house or car, asked for phone or utility service, use any social media site extensively, or been employed at any large company, most of this information can be accessed by these aggregators. The U.S. privacy laws are not strict enough to prevent this information from floating around.