PDA

View Full Version : Online Cosplay Order Nightmares

Rudiger
01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Tell your nightmare here.

Mine is a tale of woe and procrastination.

I had to get a replacement jacket for Maes Hughes (it was a Roy Mustant cosplay for fullmetal alchemist but I was still going as Hughes). Anyhow, the seller I bought my previous one from assured me they would have it to me before Katsucon this February. I just got the uniform today and even though it fit, it was the wrong color. I mean if you put the two fabrics together, they do not match AT ALL, and was very noticeable. Not only that, but the medal tags on the breast were not there either. To top it off, the thing smelled rancid. As if it was in a smokestack.

I got nauseous when I tried it on. So now I am HOPING that the seller gives me a refund, and NOW i need to wear the original cosplay i got which I don't think i can get away with wearing as it WILL suck, since i need to wear the outfit in a way that just looks awkward. And I have no time whatsoever and no trust to get a new one from the seller. I'll need to buy a new one from scratch. A sacrifice to the cosplay gods, less money for me.

So that is my story. Anybody else wanna chime in?

touchmon
01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh geez. I have one.

So I was looking around online for ways to make a persona 3 evoker when I found someone that does commissions of them. I asked her to make one for me and it was all going well and I paid the $65 for it. It was all nice and dainty and I was excited and well, everything went downhill from there. So, it's October and I get an email from her saying the package bounced for some reason. I went "Uh, okay" and gave her my house address to sent it too(I wanted to get it sent to my college) For some reason that didn't work and THEN she said we'd meet up at MangaNext and she would give it to me. DIDN'T HAPPEN. I got one email afterwords from her saying she would send it to me by mail and I NEVER HEARD FROM HER AGAIN.

So basically I lost $65. >_>

SweetOcarina
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
My Luka costume. It was a present from my girlfriend. It arrived and the skirt is way too small and doesn't wrap around like it's supposed to. The neckpiece wasn't even CONSTRUCTED but just a tangle of gold wire. The jewel was missing. The blue around the collar was missing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the costume but the inaccuracies were just =O

Dilandau213
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
My word, that sounds aweful! Do you know if you can get a new costume or a refund? =0 So many cosplay websites have things for sale that have the picture of what the item's supposed to look like, and when the costume comes in, it could have a different shade of the color you're looking for or other minor adjustments like that.

Here's my story. Last June, I found a C.C. lolita cosplay I really liked, so I got my sister to order it "custom made" from the website. I was so excited to get my costume in the mail, until I saw the costume's proportions were WAY off. My sister was out of the country for a college internship, so it was up to my mom and I to tell the company they were wrong about the measurements. We kept emailing them back and forth, and the language barrier didn't help any (the company I ordered from was located in California so idk why they couldn't understand me). It was so hard to understand their typing. The company and I emailed each other back and forth for a good 3 weeks on how they thought I was mistaken even I showed them a pic of me swimming in the costume. There were also five people addressing the email I wrote instead of one specific person, so they didn't understand the situation. They still couldn't believe they were wrong. So they asked me to take pictures of the tape measure close-up on the costume. When we sent them the pictures, they said the pictures weren't good enough and wanted better ones. At that point in time it was late July and I was going on a rode trip to Canada, so my poor mom had to deal with the company and take the pictures with someone else's camera. It was early August when the company finally admitted they were wrong. After that whole insident, we descided to get a regular size although the company insisted they wanted to make me another custom-made one. The costume was sent and came in mid-August. Ugh! That was so much stress for me! I really didn't think they would get me another costume.

But at least the costume they made that time turned out well...they did make the hat wrong, but I used the hat from the first costume they sent me.

Moral of the story: don't get custom made costumes from websites you're not familiar with!

LeekFish
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
My Soul cosplay. x_x; I got it as a Christmas present. I feel SO bad for asking for it in the first place; I had no idea it'd be such a mess.

When it arrived, I found that the jacket wasn't even a jacket like it looked in the picture. A big reason why I wanted to cosplay him was so I could wear the jacket other times. xD; Plus it was kinda small. Luckily it still fit, but not as comfortably as I hoped. The shoe covers don't even fit my feet without shoes. o-o; My feet aren't even that big, and those covers aren't even close to fitting over shoes... Oh, and the jacket color was more of a dark what the crap yellow instead of the color in the picture. >>;

And the wig.

Oh, for the love of God, that wig.

It was like someone took a white wig and... Iunno, made it explode and then put craptons of gel on it or something. It was the worst wig I've ever seen. I had to find help from someone and then somehow magically get all that gel/glue? out, and then attempt to style it (which I'd never done before). Even when I styled it with zero experience it looked a million and one times better. xD I need to find some stronger gel though. It doesn't last very long. :c

But I learned my lesson and now I find reviews and such before buying/commissioning. >_>;

x-Steffi-x
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Copied this from a thread that is locked:

I had trouble with Cosworx back in May, I placed an order of two items and a month passed and the status STILL hadn't changed from "Processed" to "Complete" I got fed up after a while and filed a claim with paypal to get my money back so I could order my items from somewhere else before it was too late. Then all of a sudden my order was set to Complete and I scrapped the paypal claim. I got a notification from the mail company to say my item has been sent to them and I had to go collect it... I also had to pay a fee to get it! Grr, I was so annoyed. Never buying from Cosworx again that's for sure. Since I live in the UK I tried calling Cosworx but no-one ever answered and none of my emails were replied to.

Yukikittie
01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
My first Teto wig. D8<
Thirty dollars, looks PERFECT in picture and the person has a good record. I order this wig. I get this wig two weeks later.
OH MY GOD IT LOOKED SO BAD.
This....what was that crap?! Her little ahoge was way too thick, the color was very off. I needed a dark pink/red, this was like, hot pink. And it was all shiny, definitely not like the picture! And the pigtails....FIRST, they were tangled to high heaven. And after I brushed them out they weren't even curly! Like...they had a small wave in them, but not curled to high heaven like Teto's! D8
It was a shitty walk wig, and I ordered a new one two months later.
...While everything else that I have ordered has been decent or good so far, I always get this anxiety attack right after I order something. I'm always afraid that my costume will be shit, or my wig will be shit. Ordering online really can be risky, I always look up hours of reviews to make sure I won't waste my money buying from the sellers I'm considering.

But that really sucks that your Hughes costume turned out to be the shitterz. ): I hope you can get your money back or something can be done to fix it.

sephygoth
01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Copied this from a thread that is locked:

I had trouble with Cosworx back in May, I placed an order of two items and a month passed and the status STILL hadn't changed from "Processed" to "Complete" I got fed up after a while and filed a claim with paypal to get my money back so I could order my items from somewhere else before it was too late. Then all of a sudden my order was set to Complete and I scrapped the paypal claim. I got a notification from the mail company to say my item has been sent to them and I had to go collect it... I also had to pay a fee to get it! Grr, I was so annoyed. Never buying from Cosworx again that's for sure. Since I live in the UK I tried calling Cosworx but no-one ever answered and none of my emails were replied to.

Is that why it's "cosplay.com shopping" now? Feedback is feedback, thanks for letting some of us know. It did take about a month for one wig to get to me in like summer 2008, since then I've not ordered.
I still say Milanoo is prob the worst. I have not bad mouthed them enough!
I only order raw materials, so I'm not good for final products here(from orig post), even with the raw components like spandex,spirit gum, hell even resin I've had to settle on my American Express to get money back. I recommend an AMEX.

I do have to say, going to the vendor in person is the best experience....

x-Steffi-x
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I do have to say, going to the vendor in person is the best experience....

It's is the best option however since I live in the UK, mosst people I order from are either in America or China so it's impossible. Just have to take the risks. I don't commission cosplays or anything, I mainly just order certain patterns or wigs and maybe anything additional (which is rare).
But so far only Cosworx, or Cosplay.com shopping has caused me problems, every other person I've ordered from off the internet has been helpful and nice and the quality of the products were excellent.

LeekFish
01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I still say Milanoo is prob the worst. I have not bad mouthed them enough!

Amen. o_o

Ritsu H Saotome
01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Yea, I don't get why the bad mouth of Milanoo, just got my shigure costume in today (that's 8 days before they said it would arrive). It looks fine to me.

kiratsukai
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I've been pretty lucky (and careful). I've paid a lot more for my stuff on average than most cosplayers in the West (Japan's more expensive to begin with and there are a lot more choices that others can vouch for being legitimate) but I've never recieved anything that was deceptively presented (ie. a costume that didn't match a photo) or so totally crappy as to be unusable. The worst I've gotten were also the cheapest:

- Hope Estheim (Trymax, Chinese factory, cheap) ~ pants were poorly constructed, but I took a chance and wore them anyway. They fell apart 4 times in two different places on the first wear and had to be completely resewn.

- Kagamine Len (Cosworld, Chinese factory, cheapish) ~ the costume was great, though all of the accessories were far too large, the tie was tacky satin and the headphones were terrible overstuffed monstrosities. When I toook them apart to fix the problem, I ended up going to the hospital for formaldahyde poisoning since the fill was not clean fill, but dryer lint from freshly treated industrial wool. Buttons were also reused and corroded, chipped and broken on the inside. There were a lot of material that had been taken from factory trash or garbage dumps used in a way that wouldn't attract much notice.

SweetOcarina
01-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I ended up going to the hospital for formaldahyde poisoning.

I think that's one of the worst cosplay experiences I've ever read about O______o

ieixxx
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
going to the hospital for formaldahyde poisoning

Thats! For keeping dead frogs preserved!!!!!!!!!! jeezzz i concurr with the above post!

Viveeh
01-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Yea, I don't get why the bad mouth of Milanoo, just got my shigure costume in today (that's 8 days before they said it would arrive). It looks fine to me.

For instance, they steal photos from cosplayers... Oh well.

I haven't had anything terrible happen to me yet but I'm also always a little anxious waiting for ordered wigs to arrive. You never know.

Edit: Oops, yeah, I just remembered the one time I ordered from Cosworx (Cosplay.com shopping nowadays). I bought a pair of shoes, a wig, and a wig cap. First it took a looong time for my order to even get 'complete'. At some point they did send my stuff and it took about a month to arrive. For some reason they were unable to do the delivery properly, so my family had to drive to the freaking border of the country to get my package, and pay a crapload to them to get it. I was pleased with the shoes and wig, but it was very thin and not smooth at all. The wig cap was so tight I'd get a headache right after putting it on, no exaggeration. So, not ordering from there again, thanks.

Kitsoru
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM

While this link is not strictly cosplay-related (it's lolita related, but both still have the same issues going on), this is why. (http://community.livejournal.com/egl/14484905.html)

sephygoth
01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
While this link is not strictly cosplay-related (it's lolita related, but both still have the same issues going on), this is why. (http://community.livejournal.com/egl/14484905.html)
THANK YOU!
You're always reliable for proof, where I'm usually to lazy to provide -.-
I've been trying to warn people for months, god forbid if I ever bought anything whole/complete from these guys. I swear you give them a diamond and you get pure DOOKIE, and even that melts in your hands.

Kitsoru
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
THANK YOU!
You're always reliable for proof, where I'm usually to lazy to provide -.-
I've been trying to warn people for months, god forbid if I ever bought anything whole/complete from these guys. I swear you give them a diamond and you get pure DOOKIE, and even that melts in your hands.
What's especially appalling about Milanoo is the amount of "propaganda" they attempt to use to right their names. You can read all about it in that link, but they have a looooong history of using troll accounts (which many sellers do, but esp. Milanoo), popping up multiple websites posing as reviews for them, even fake press releases. It's very silly and easily avoidable if people would just do more research before jumping on the cheapest item they find, they wouldn't get screwed over. :/

Ritsu H Saotome
01-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, in my case I needed to save money so I purchased my costume from milanoo and I see nothing wrong with my costume.

As of right now, I'm not convinced that milanoo is the worst of online buying, but they have made enough mistakes to get a bad rap.

Also, when it comes to any store, a bad first purchase can easily convince a person to never shop there again.

Kitsoru
01-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, in my case I needed to save money so I purchased my costume from milanoo and I see nothing wrong with my costume.

As of right now, I'm not convinced that milanoo is the worst of online buying, but they have made enough mistakes to get a bad rap.
There are lots of places you can buy whilst saving money that have a much less of a bad rap than Milanoo. They are numerous on ebay and the internet and several are mentioned all over these forums. While it's true that not all "cheap" sellers are ripoffs, it is also true that they are not necessarily an "ethical" seller. Ethical sellers do not steal all of their pictures(including, ridiculously enough, Western designer's runway images), blame their customers for their shoddy workmanship, create troll accounts in an attempt to make themselves look better through praise on bad reviews, and create propagandist sites and advertisements posing as blogs to lure uninformed consumers in like a trap.

Consider yourself lucky for getting something passable from Milanoo. It is an uncommon occurrence, apart from, occasionally, their wigs and sometimes shoes (which btw, at least some of which are available cheaper through their source sellers on taobao.. Though I understand not everyone knows/wants to deal with a taobao shopping agent).

I've never ordered from Milanoo personally but the mountain of bad stories I've heard from them and seeing first-hand their immature and trollish behavior when faced with upset customers has made me decide I will never do so out of not wanting to support a company that treats customers in such a way.

This post is not anything against you, I would like to add, just Milanoo itself. It's great that you got something good from them but as I said, that's a lucky stroke. This is only something for anyone who considers buying from Milanoo or any other less-than-reputable site out there. Buyer beware- do your research and you will get screwed over far less often.
Also, when it comes to any store, a bad first purchase can easily convince a person to never shop there again.
Quite true.

x-Steffi-x
01-21-2011, 05:54 AM

Everyone has a different standard as to what is good and what's not. Various people might find a commissioner good whilst others think said commissioner was rubbish, like with Milanoo or Cosworx. I had a bad experience, doesn't mean everyone else will and vice versa. But cheap products do sometimes = crap. I bouhg two cheap costumes before and they were good quality but some of them are just ugh. Again, all down to personal preference.
If you know how to sew or know the basics, you become more aware to mistakes made in costumes than you did before. I mean, my ebay bought Chii I absolutely adored, but since learning how to sew, I've despised satin-y type fabrics (except Duchesse Satin). Although I still like my Chii costume, just not as much.

Also, I've never ordered from Milanoo but I've heard nothing but bad things about them as well as other sites. I'm really weary when ordering online and only go to certain places. I will not accept a commission done through a random PM on here if I asked through the marketplace or anything. I just have to gather as much information as I can before buying. It's way too risky.

SPClannad
01-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Most of the review sites have milanno listed with a bunch of one stars. I've actually never seen any shopping site with so many bad reviews. But I get it also depends. I also looked at some livejournal reviews that show how terrible the outfits bought looked.

Here's a review site with some fairly positive reviews: http://www.coolcomputing.com/d/milanoo.html

Lovelychristina
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
I rarely deal with Premade costumes and Haven't had a bad wig yes. the worst problem I had was Mooncostumes.com. I bought a Vampire knight outfit. The Buttons on the outfit fell off one by one, the outfit was WAY too big after I sent my measurements in and the pants were too long. My Ex could wear the thing due the the long pants but the Jacket was WAY too Baggy for him.

NikkiKora
05-14-2011, 02:58 PM
cosplayhouse.com. x-x UGHHH

The first costume I ordered was a Louise Valliere costume. (Zero no Tsukaima) I could already see that the cape was the wrong color on the inside (light purple rather than burgundy), but since it was my first cosplay, I didn't think it was a big deal.
And then I got it. The skirt wasn't even pleated. ._.

The second costume I ordered from them was Sekai Saionji's school uniform. (School Days)
You know how her outfit's black? Yeah. it came in navy blue, despite the website picture being black. I tried using RIT dye, but it wouldn't even adhere.
This wouldn't be a huge deal, except that she has black knee socks, so the blue stood out even more.

Don't order from cosplayhouse. They kind of suck, from my experiences.

Mikay-Chan
05-16-2011, 04:44 AM
FM-Anime!!!!! DDDX
Has anyone else had a problem with them?? I'm currently in the situation now. I've ordered the cosplay and they said it'd take up to 14 days to ship.

My boyfriends stuff comes in from the other site we bought from, Cosplay FU, but not mine. We wait, and are currently STILL WAITING.

The convention I ordered it for is now officially 11 days away....

Last time I checked the site the had in little print on the top that thier wearhouses in China had been robbed and that they'd have to remake all the cosplays.

BUT STILL. I've heard of others stories with this site that they did'nt get thier cosplays untill 3 months later!! QAQ