PDA

View Full Version : Comic Sans and Papyrus are horrible typefaces.

Hanyaan
01-13-2011, 11:35 PM
so I get this irrational anger whenever I see Comic Sans or Papyrus being misused (or in the case of Comic Sans, used period).

I have no idea when I managed to acquire this level of typography snobbery, but I can't shake it.

Does anybody else really dislike these typefaces? What other typefaces make you rage? Alternatively, which ones do you really like?

(post written in Papyrus for extra irony.)

Celia Rose
01-14-2011, 12:19 AM
I used to work on the newspaper and yearbook in high school. Becoming a type-face snob is inevitable then. xD

They're just...so over-used! >A<

Axelai
01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Comic Sans is my favorite type ;A; I use it on messenger and such.

But never on anything professional. I just use it on messenger... ; . ;

Mnemeth17
01-14-2011, 01:14 AM
I actually love Papyrus. I use it a lot in project slide shows for titles (for regular text it's too spaced out and the letter flourishes are distracting). It's kind of organic looking without being illegible. I love scripts, but unfortunately they are so hard to read! XD

I don't like big wide fonts or boring, plain fonts. Like arial. :/

Brsis
01-14-2011, 03:43 AM
Arial = death.

Times New Roman is all I will accept. Unless I'm on the internet. Then Verdana is where it's at (You can read it at 4pt!).

SweetOcarina
01-14-2011, 06:59 AM
I must admit I fell in love with using Lithos for a while... But if I'm choosing a font for professional use I tend to use Trebuchet or Verdana more.

kiratsukai
01-14-2011, 07:00 AM
MS Mincho

Yukikittie
01-14-2011, 08:22 AM
BUT BUT BUT.
I THOUGHT WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL!
Usually I use book antiqua like I am now. It's smallish and pretty looking.

DaemonForce
01-14-2011, 08:41 AM
MS Mincho
Like you have a choice...>.>'

I stick to Courier New and Times New Roman whenever I can.

Years of scrolling on Windows 95 made me default to Arial and a year of developing WinPE made me get used to System before I decided the fonts were bothering me. Comic Sans is silly and Verdana is plain.

TR Rose
01-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I. Hate. Comic. Sans.

I'm a graphic artist and I cringe every single time I see it used. Which is everywhere. Billboards, newspaper ads, websites, argh! It looks like an elementary school PTA flyer. Any time I see something written in Comic Sans I lose all professional respect for the source - it's the fastest way that I'll ignore an ad is to see that awful typeface in use.

I do like Arial tho. It's clean and easy to read. I have some favorite fonts that I like to use for graphical headers on websites, but usually I leave that for a header only.

There's something one of my professors mentioned - if you use more than 2-3 fonts (or colors, for that matter) on something, it starts to look like a ransom note. I've seen this more times than I care to admit. You get the impression of "Hey, I just downloaded a million fonts and want to use them all now!"

Splashy font for header. Normal font, boldfaced and a little larger, for subheaders. And normal font for content. All ya need.

Brsis
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Like you have a choice...>.>'

Are you kidding? There's dozens of Japanese fonts, Mincho is just Windows default (Like Times New Roman). Sadly a lot of the good ones seem to be Mac exclusive - curse you, Apple!

DaemonForce
01-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Are you kidding? There's dozens of Japanese fonts, Mincho is just Windows default (Like Times New Roman). Sadly a lot of the good ones seem to be Mac exclusive - curse you, Apple!
Well excuse you I'll stick to PMincho in that regard. Asian fonts are crazy enough for those that are barely literate but when you have friends that WANT you to be using the same fonts they do because "it's what everyone does" then that causes a bit of tension that I would assume is best avoided. -_-'

Kildread
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I always type in the default font of whatever application/board/blog/forum I'm using.

Does that make me a bad person?

(Although Arial is the most frequently used font I have).

Along that train of thought, as long as the font is legible, I don't have an issue over its use.

Jia Jem
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I freaking laughed at Avatar. Seriously? Their multi million dollar budget, and they use freaking PAPYRUS for their subtitles? Here were majestic Navis walking across the screen, and all I could think was WHICH FRIEND CAN I POKE RIGHT NOW AND POINT AT THE SCREEN AND THEY'D GET IT. EFFING PAPYRUS. ...no one, that's who! I was alone in my frustrations. And at the end of the movie, when the giant word AVATAR came up on the screen, it was everything I could do to keep myself from hurling my popcorn and my neighbor's popcorn at the screen. WHAT. THE. HELL.

I thought I was alone and weird in this hatred. And then I found this article, an open letter from Papyrus to James Cameron.

http://prttyshttydesign.blogspot.com/2010/01/open-letter-to-james-cameron-from.html

A quote:

"Goodness knows I’ve worked hard the past 26 years to make a name for myself. And it’s felt great coming to the aid of New Age spa owners, suburban party planners, and young couples looking to save money by making their own wedding invitations. But only now, by appearing in your movie, have I been given mainstream, high-level recognition as a serious typeface. And for that, I thank you."

toshirua3846384
01-14-2011, 12:51 PM
so I get this irrational anger whenever I see Comic Sans or Papyrus being misused (or in the case of Comic Sans, used period).

I have no idea when I managed to acquire this level of typography snobbery, but I can't shake it.

Does anybody else really dislike these typefaces? What other typefaces make you rage? Alternatively, which ones do you really like?

I actually like Comic Sans, Chiller, Rose and other type faces like that, i don't understand why anyone would hate it especially comic sans, it looks fairly normal to me when you use it anyways. It's not like any of those other type faces that are very small and bunched together. What do you not like about comic sans in particular? Is it it's name or thinness.

UsakoLuna
01-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't like comic sans at all! Papyrus is ok for headers and such. I did go thru a papyrus addicted stagecon in 10th grade, but I was young

MermaidRizu
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Goodness, I never realized people were so uptight about their fonts. XD

Anything really is fine for me, as long as it's legible.

Eriol
01-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Comic Sans is very overused. This is probably because it was installed with computers with Windows. I've seen government stationery written in Comic Sans as well as business signs using Comic Sans. Comic Sans should not really be used with any writing considered formal or professional.

Here is a link to an interview with the creator of the Comic Sans font. Even the creator didn't anticipate the widespread usage.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992364819927171.html?mod=yhoofront

sam vimes
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Wingdings.

marshmallowpie
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I love Westminister. :D
(though, it's hard to find a use for it... I just love it for its tacky retro-futurism.)

One font... it's not really one I dislike, but Bank Gothic, whenever I see it used, it's just... well, I used to be a big fan of it when I was younger.

Hanyaan
01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
What do you not like about comic sans in particular? Is it it's name or thinness.

Other than graphic design nerdery (kerning and the like), what I particularly dislike about Comic Sans and Papyrus is that they are horrifyingly overused in situations that do not call for them. Eriol gave a link with the creator of Comic Sans where the creator admits it's overused. By this point Comic Sans doesn't look cute, or fun. It just sticks out because it's everywhere, including primarily places it shouldn't be.

Comic Sans for handouts for a Kindergarten class? I am actually OK with it although I still dislike the typeface from overexposure. But when you see serious documents written in Comic Sans, it really looks unprofessional.

Same for Papyrus. It actually isn't all that bad of a typeface. I just dislike it due to EXTREME overuse and use in places it isn't called for. It was originally supposed to be an old-fashioned typeface to show what English would look like written several thousand years ago on Papyrus paper. That's cool. The calligraphy that went into it is actually really good. But now I see Papyrus and all I can think of are cut-rate New Age boutiques and spas and every store that's trying to be generically ethnic. It doesn't look classy anymore. It just looks bad.

But I admit to being a typography snob. I'm not normally elitist about very many things, at all, but inappropriate use of typefaces makes my eye twitch.

EDIT: As for some of my FAVORITE typefaces... Arial and Helvetica are slightly overused but since they work for what they're used for, I don't mind them. They're good go-to typefaces for generic use. I still have a soft spot for Verdana after spending several years at the beginning of the internet carefully formatting every journal entry and forum post to be in Verdana; it's nice and legible. For serif fonts, a semi-obscure typeface called Cochin is my absolute favorite.

I also have some recommendations for, in graphics, free Comic Sans replacements that have the fun graphic novel lettering effect but don't cause the same eyetwitch "wtf is this" reaction from people burned out on Comic Sans. Any of Blambot's free dialogue fonts (http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue.shtml) especially Anime Ace or Digital Strip are pretty good for free ones. I like Wild Words and CC Astro City as far as paid fonts go.

doxiequeen1
01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Kristen ITC. It angers me.

You know, the one that looks like a 5 year olds hand writing? I have "friends" on msn that stand by using that font. It just looks so stupid.

I'm a big fan of Tekton pro, it doesn't look too uptight but still doesn't look like fail handwriting.

penny_dreadful
01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Comic Sans Criminal (http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/) - there's help available for people like you!

I'm of a mind that says "who cares what the font is as long as you can read it" is akin to saying "who cares about the spelling/grammar/blatant abuse of innocent words and phrases as long as the person reading it understands?" Because it matters, that's why. People work hard to bring you good words, young sir/lady, and you have no call going around ignoring basic rules of sentence structure! There are little children in Africa right now that have NO SCHOOLS AT ALL, so you learn everything in that textbook and THEN you can leave the table!

Kildread
01-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Comic Sans Criminal (http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/) - there's help available for people like you!

I'm of a mind that says "who cares what the font is as long as you can read it" is akin to saying "who cares about the spelling/grammar/blatant abuse of innocent words and phrases as long as the person reading it understands?" Because it matters, that's why. People work hard to bring you good words, young sir/lady, and you have no call going around ignoring basic rules of sentence structure! There are little children in Africa right now that have NO SCHOOLS AT ALL, so you learn everything in that textbook and THEN you can leave the table!

Dear Miss,

My handwritten prose is regretfully very poor and will often be mistaken for hieroglyphs by the common folk.

Does this means my handwritten font is not visually pleasing to the rest of the world, even though the words employed are of a decent quality?

Respectfully yours,
Kildread

Kilo
01-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Verdana and Tahoma in 10 point are my personal picks, but I do love some Comic Sans.

I'm also a whore for any Christmas-Themed font.

Buckshot Billie
01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
While Comic Sans, Chiller, Jokerman, Papyrus, etc. are oftentimes the butt of jokes, what WOULD be a more appropriate font to use on a throwaway announcement for a smalltown Baptist church carnival? Do you really want to see it written in serious-ass Times New Roman? Wouldn't that make you uncomfortable, like this was going to be the kind of carnival at which there is a bloodmobile (and you have to pay for the cookies), a lot of paperwork, and at least 3 people who leave in tears?

Of course, under no circumstances should these fonts be used by someone who's supposed to be a professional graphic designer. That is where we run into problems.

PS: I really only posted this reply because I liked the idea of the "serious-ass" church carnival.

penny_dreadful
01-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Dear Miss,

My handwritten prose is regretfully very poor and will often be mistaken for hieroglyphs by the common folk.

Does this means my handwritten font is not visually pleasing to the rest of the world, even though the words employed are of a decent quality?

Respectfully yours,
Kildread

Dear Mr. and/or Ms. Kildread,

First allow me to express my gratitude for your gracious query; it is a rare treat in this Twenty-First Century to see someone who is not only literate, but familiar with the classic graces of formal correspondence.

While one should take care to cultivate legible handwriting, as this is not only a professional courtesy (those with medical degrees notwithstanding) but a social courtesy, as beautiful cursive is a joy to the eyes, Ms. Dreadful understands that penmanship is becoming a bit of a lost art in the technology age.

Less-than-stellar handwriting can be forgiven in certain instances when a personal touch is preferred by convenience or necessity, such as when the writer in question is penning an autograph to a fan, a polite but firm letter of rejection to an overzealous suitor, a hastily-scrawled warning or threat (please do make an effort to write legibly in matters of life and death), a sincere note of thanks for a set of croquet mallets, or simply jotting down a grocery list.

Ms. Dreadful wishes you many continued years of exemplary communication.

Sincerely yours,

Penny Dreadful

shortsheik
01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=TR Rose;3761235]I. Hate. Comic. Sans.

I'm a graphic artist and I cringe every single time I see it used. Which is everywhere. Billboards, newspaper ads, websites, argh! It looks like an elementary school PTA flyer.

And this is exactly why I use Comic Sans - for elementary school stuff.

I teach English to young Japanese kids. Many of them are just learning the alphabet. Every other font uses that typeface "a", but we never handwrite the letter like that. Therefore, I use comic sans because it most resemebles a handwritten print.

penny_dreadful
01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Every other font uses that typeface "a", but we never handwrite the letter like that. Therefore, I use comic sans because it most resemebles a handwritten print.

Actually, I write my a's like that. I am aware this is the exception rather than the rule, though, especially with young people just learning penmanship.

Ineedaname9
01-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Times New Roman size 12, is the required font for all formal papers in college and what;s suggested throughout high school... So its the safest bet for me... Typically, I'll stick to that in any and all formal writing and informal writing, unless its for a powerpoint then I use Arial in multiply sizes. For forums, I use whatever font I get usually.... unless it's looks like well comic sans. It does appear to be a little childish....

The Hag
01-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Et tu, Ms. Dreadful, et tu? And yet it was you who provided me with this delightful link (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/monologues/15comicsans.html). (Warning: contains coarse language)

I like Comic Sans. It is cute and fun and I like cute and fun. Would I use it for, say, a funeral announcement? No. But as my business is to provide products and services for people who dress up like cartoon characters, it seemed an appropriate font for me to use with business related things. In determining the degree of my professionalism, if someone gives greater weight to my choice of font than to my customer reviews, well, then they do. *shrug*

In general, font is just not something that I give a great deal of thought and I am somewhat perplexed that people, other than perhaps professional graphic artists and designers, have such strong feelings about it.

hollowchrist
01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I hate Comic Sans!! Perhaps it's because it reminds me of elementary school computer classes, since EVERYTHING WE WROTE was to be typed in it or Times New Roman. I ALWAYS chose Times New Roman. I absolutely hated elementary school computer classes. I hate the teacher, who would harp on incessantly about how important it was that we learn to type by not looking at the keyboard and that our fingers must always be on home row or else we would never exceed a typing speed of 5 words per minutes.

I am here proving her wrong at every chance I get. >;/

Comic Sans is almost always inappropriate outside of dealing with the elementary school age.

Papyrus annoys me too. It's overused by every Tom, Dick and Harry who want their title to appeal to people who think old age writing is 'teh bomb' and it seems that they're trying to prove themselves to be 'hip' when in fact they're very much not.

penny_dreadful
01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
In general, font is just not something that I give a great deal of thought and I am somewhat perplexed that people, other than perhaps professional graphic artists and designers, have such strong feelings about it.

You know me. I have strong feelings about all sorts of things I have no real business having such strong feelings about.

The Hag
01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
You know me.

I most assuredly do! And you know me as well. Perhaps the most perplexing thing is that I don't have a strong opinion regarding fonts because usually, given a minute or two, I can come up with a strong opinion on just about anything. Truth be told, it's not that I don't care about fonts so much as that I don't even really notice them unless I'm digitizing embroidery. Like Kildread, I usually can't be arsed to change from the default.

At the risk of generating serious discussion in what is most likely a semi-ironic "random peeve of the moment and I'm bored so I'll post it" thread (which is entirely appropriate for this forum) I will say this - I suspect that the real irritant is that the over and improper use of these fonts is an indicator of the unfortunate devaluation of graphic arts and graphic arts professionals. Technology has made it very easy for people to generate documents and graphics that have a "veneer", if you will, of professionalism that would have been impossible to achieve 20 years ago without very specific equipment and the skill to use it. A lot of people seem to think, "Oh, desk top publishing is so easy now! Just download the freeware and do your own. Why bother paying someone for something you can do yourself?" But as with many things, it's not enough just to have the tools. If you don't know what you're doing, the results will still be amateurish. It seems perfectly understandable to me that this proliferation of unaware amateurs would grind the gears of graphic artists who have spent considerable money and effort in learning their craft.

If I ever get to the point where my business is large enough to warrant hiring a graphic designer, they may well tell me, "Well, even if you want a fun and cute look, I'd recommend against Comic Sans because it's over used, here are some other options...." and I tend to listen to professional advice that I am paying for (otherwise - why bother?) At this point though, the anti-Comic Sans meme has done nothing more than trigger my "you're not the boss of me" response.

Re: Avatar. IMO, complaining about the use of Papyrus in that movie is like complaining that Hitler's mustache is unflattering. Did I just call James Cameron Hitler? :crylaugh:

Akemi Idane
01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I just use Times New Roman. o.O
Or whatever else pops up on my screen.
(Actually, that's a lie. I'll usually switch back to Times if there's something else set as the default - it's just what I'm used to looking at.)
Although there was that one RP forever ago that required 8pt font (WHY?) and I think I changed it for that, but I don't remember what to.
Courier New is the only font that bothers me, because kids at my school use it to cheat and make their papers longer than they actually are (since it's so spaced out). Also a teacher I hated required that we use it.
But, other than that...I don't really care.
Although I can't read windgings. Sorry. xD

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I admit I nerd out about typography. Like, a lot. This thread makes me happy.

I suggest this film for both typography buffs, and those who don't realize what a big impact fonts have on your life. Netflix it.

http://www.helveticafilm.com/

The Hag
01-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I admit I nerd out about typography.

What's your position on the 2 spaces after a period issue (http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/pagenum/all/)?

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Re: Avatar. IMO, complaining about the use of Papyrus in that movie is like complaining that Hitler's mustache is unflattering. Did I just call James Cameron Hitler? :crylaugh:

No, it is not like Hitler's mustache. Actually, maybe it IS like Hitler's mustache.

James Cameron had money to burn for this movie. He had a design department that is the envy of the entire world right now. WHY they couldn't put $200 or less into buying a semi original font, or even a measly grand into designing their own copyrighted font for such a HUGE EFFING DEAL like Avatar --- it astounds.

I'm almost inclined to think it was some sort of graphic design department joke. Like, "You put all this money into this shit? Won't let me go home early on a friday night? OH YEAH WATCH THIS" *clicks Papyrus from dropdown* "EFF YOU THE MAN. You think you're so cool but us 'lower class' design snobs will make a mockery out of you! Now let me get out of this cubicle!"

...and quite possibly, there is an analogy for an undertipped barber in German days of yore?

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 03:45 PM
What's your position on the 2 spaces after a period issue (http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/pagenum/all/)?

Double postin' cuz it's easier than trying to edit a post with a quote....

My position is clear as the wide spaces between my sentences. TWO SPACES. That's how I was raised, dammit. Call me a codger. I learned to type in 2nd grade on a freaking typewriter. It was two spaces then. It's two spaces now. For me. Eff these "word processing" softwares. It still bothers me when I try to double space in Microsoft Word and the cursor just sits there. I'm starting to triple space because of that crap.

...but that article has me doubting now. I think I need to reconsider some priorities.

The Hag
01-15-2011, 04:03 PM
...but that article has me doubting now. I think I need to reconsider some priorities.

Yeah, I'm a pragmatist not an ideologue. So even though I was raised on typewriters and two spaces, after reading that article, I completely see the logic in going to one. The problem is that hitting that space bar twice is ingrained in my muscle memory and it's doubtful that I'm going to make the effort necessary to change the habit!

penny_dreadful
01-16-2011, 10:33 AM
I was pretty resistant to the "one space after a period" changeover, since I was also taught two spaces were standard in formal writing, and I went to a good school, dammit. But if I'm merely being asked to remove a space after a period, and not RYT LIK DIS B/C ITS 2 HRD 2 SPL OUT RL WRDZ GRMMR IZ SOOO OVRATED WTF LOLOLOLOL, that's a compromise I'm willing to make.

AlmostHolly
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Comic Sans is way overused, but Papyrus is my favorite typeface. xD LOL! Except whenever my school makes posters or flyers for something, they always use Papyrus and it annoys me to no end... simply because it shouldn't be used just for the sake of using a cool typeface. :P

I hate using Times New Roman with a passion. I always cheat and use Arial instead (for essays and such). I don't know why... I just don't like it.

squ33k t0y
01-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I think it's fine if people use it for a title, or something, assuming they make the rest of the type in something more legible. Trying to read paragraphs of papyrus makes my eyes bleed. e.e

I had a U.S. History teacher last semester, actually, who made his outlines we needed in comic sans. I would have to change each outline before I printed it out. D':

I also hate frilly cursive types..

ALSO, semi-unrelated:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/RUwN4YMjboa3yxpcIsz7joAJo1_500.jpg <-- For those who enjoy puns and typography. 8D;;

ShinobiXikyu
01-17-2011, 11:58 PM
I nearly always use Arial or Times new Roman.... and if I feel like doing something particularly weird or old-timey, I use blackletter. THAT'S old-fashioned writing (and I can also hand-calligraph the stuff, complete with those f-shaped substitutes for s). Papyrus doesn't tick me off, but it's certainly an overused font. I recall in school though, I HATED "Sand" (what it was from, I forget now). So did the teachers because it was so sloppy-looking.

Pocketfightr
01-18-2011, 08:56 AM
As a graphic designer/typesetter that does work for mostly banks, I fortunately don't run into much ill-used papyrus or comic sans (don't like either when used randomly).

Talk to me about copperplate. I hate it with the heat of a thousand burning suns. Since a lot of the banks we do work for are small and don't have the original file for their forms, I usually have to pull my hair out trying to figure out whether the printed copy of their form originally used Copperplate 31ab or Copperplate 30cd. In my opinion, half of its family is pretty dang ugly. I wanted to cry out "WHY?!?!" one time when I noticed it on the menu at Applebees. (This was quite a while ago, it probably isn't still there.)

Jia Jem
01-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Talk to me about copperplate.

UGH. Hate that one too. It's the official font for Mariah Carey. Like. ON THE COVER AND FOR THE LYRICS OF EVERY. SINGLE. ALBUM. All the money she has. Still? Free font? WHY.
Even on the front of her website. (http://mariahcarey.com/)

Oh wait... let's just never mind why I know that fact about every album.... >______>

Pocketfightr
01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
UGH. Hate that one too. It's the official font for Mariah Carey. Like. ON THE COVER AND FOR THE LYRICS OF EVERY. SINGLE. ALBUM. All the money she has. Still? Free font? WHY.

Oh wait... let's just never mind why I know that fact about every album.... >______>

:O You'd think someone like that would want a more elegant font! I think I just died a little.

supergeekgirl
01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't HATE any typefaces as long as they aren't distracting and difficult to read. I do quite a bit of graphic design at work (I'm not a graphic designer, but I get pulled into it a lot), and I don't like to use serif fonts for some reason. That's about it. Meh. People who use Comic Sans to be different are... just a little clueless about the way typeface-savvy people see fonts. Now, if someone were trying to apply for a job in graphic design with a resume in Comic Sans, it had better be a joke.

penny_dreadful
01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Just realized some of our office mailings from years past were in Comic Sans. FIXED.

ELunamoon
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Ooh. New one. I eat, sleep, drink and breathe in Century Gothic. 'Cept when I am lazy and don't feel like switching over. I don't know WHAT IT IS ABOUT CENTURY GOTHIC. It just...soothes me.

Hanyaan
01-22-2011, 02:29 PM

hahaha :rofl:

I found this Somewhere On The Internet and it basically needs to go in this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/IfYSq.jpg

I AM SERIOUSLY GOING TO HIRE THESE GUYS. THEY LOOK SUPER LEGIT.

merquryd
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Ugh...yes

My fave typeface is Futura. In my sig for a while I was raging at the fact that I couldn't have Futura, Helvetica, or Gill Sans as my typeface.

Master_Loki
04-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Papyrus definitely makes me rage. As a graphic designer, analyzing that kind of stuff is what I do on a daily basis. I have to say, I see Papyrus and certain other fonts literally EVERYWHERE as if it were following me but yes, I have to say Papyrus is definitely one of the most abused fonts I've found.

Alkander
04-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I also hate Comic Sans. Times New Roman is overused.
I personally prefer the type writer font.

LeekFish
04-09-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/comicsans2.png

I thought this was fitting. :3

Just to add my two cents; I think fonts should be used in relation to what they are for. Comic Sans is fine for messaging on AIM/MSN/etc, for use in elementary schools, etc, but not in a professional work place or advertisement. Fonts should fit with the graphic or text they are going with. c:

siuxsiu
04-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't like Comic Sans. Period. I don't know why I used it for EVERYTHING for like, years. But now... GAH. Don't really like Papyrus either.

Calibri is my favourite font :D

fujyoshi
04-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Comic Sans is my favorite type ;A; I use it on messenger and such.

But never on anything professional. I just use it on messenger... ; . ;

seconded

I don't really care for papyrus typeface though but I used ta know someone that used it. Its not that big a deal though as long as I can read it.

Jia Jem
04-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Found this and thought of y'all.
http://jia.cosplay.com/pktdc.jpg

pltshp
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Okay. I freaking loved Sonic Adventure 2. It's one of my favourite games of all time. But the use of Comic Sans throughout... oh my god.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj5q6kS2bu1qdtw9eo1_500.gif
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liqqyjJTy81qdtw9eo1_500.png

Mind you... I suppose it is Sonic Team. We can't rely on them to make good decisions.

FallofIcarus
04-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Three years ago I was making a logo for my boyfriend's band and found the font "Bleeding Cowboy." I had never seen it anywhere before and it looked cool so I used that. Mere months later, that font is everywhere. I can't stand it now. Its become a joke between bf and I just because of how many places we see it. I had picked it for the logo because I had never seen it used before but now, if I had to remake the logo, I would definitely not use it. I don't hate it, but it's just annoying to see now. Of course, I'd never use that for anything seriously professional.

I don't really have any addictions to any particular typeface. I always use what's standard--Arial or Times New Roman.

AlliedHeather
04-12-2011, 11:27 AM
But i love comic sans and papyrus

Ragtime Mouth
04-13-2011, 03:07 AM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/comicsans2.png <3

Ragtime Mouth
07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-dogs-fonts-comic-sans.jpg

Anima-Mort
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/Anima-Mort/fonts5.jpg

Pocketfightr
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Heh, seeing this thread come back up after dealing with a stupid bank that used a stupid font that I don't have and thus can't open the file, made me smile.

Convulsive
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't like Comic Sans very much, unless it's actually in a comic.

DarkCloudInc
07-08-2011, 04:28 PM
wingding all the way!

TheKimonoLady
07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
This thread and the pictures made me laugh so hard. I love it!

I saw Papyrus being used for a white-water rafting trip sign the other day. Usually it's at least something "exotic" but this was completely random. I agree Comic Sans is the devil... I've seen people try to turn in school research papers typed in it.

For me, Helvetica is a good, easily-read go-to, or, lately, Monotype Corsiva used sparingly.

Blackjack Gabbi
07-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I hate any typeface that isn't legible.

Both Comic Sans and Papyrus are perfectly legible to me, so no hate at all. Also, Comic Sans has the added benefit of that it shrinks down nicely (although I prefer Karmic Revolution for that, even if it only has the basic letters).

RinoaShadow
07-09-2011, 05:53 AM
I like Poor Richard~

I wouldn't use it for internet but ... yeah.

Comic sans makes me nuts soemtimes but... whatever

Papyrus is my Msn font. *shifty eyes* uh.... don't ask. it's been that way for 4 years and i doubt it's changing soon.

hollowchrist
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I hate them both. Hate them. I've been advertising my Harry Potter-Based Roleplay Forum (http://nevertoreturn.proboards.com/) the past few days and have seen soooo many sites that use Comic Sans and Papyrus as their main fonts. The ones that use Papyrus you can't even read half the time, because that font has to be rather large to be legible anyway. Comic Sans just makes me want to kick things. I think it's because my elementary school computer teacher always wanted us to use Comic Sans or Times. I always chose Times. Screw Comic Sans.

My favorite font is Tahoma.