PDA

View Full Version : Fabric for Grell's coat

Flora88
01-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Kay, so I'm trying to decide which fabric to use for Grell's coat.

I'm trying to add a bit of texture.

Velveteen or corduroy?

Or something different entirely? I'm a bit new to coat-making.

shui
01-18-2011, 12:46 PM
when are you wearing it? I'd make it out of something lightweight.
I forget what I used on mine but it's really light and it's lined with some kind of faux satin or something. Grell's attire just gets really warm, especially inside and/or if it's warm out. You don't want to feel sweaty and gross, after all!

Flora88
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I'll be wearing it mostly indoors in the Summer in Dallas. But both of these fabrics would be equally warm. I'd rather go for semi-accuracy than comfort, honestly.

Rainbowgasm
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
honestly neither appeal to me for a Grell jacket... like I mentioned in the other thead, corduroy tends to look more faded and its hard to get rich enough colors... Velveteen just seems... like too much you know? I doubt his jacket is made of that... even if it was Madame Red's... even if you're not going for accuracy, I still wouldn't do it... its so hard to clean and such... twill or suiting or something wool based would seem more... right... I dunno...

Flora88
01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
twill or suiting or something wool based would seem more... right... I dunno...

No offense, but it's really a matter of artistic interpretation and personal taste. :)
It won't be anything as drastic as brocade, but I just hate the idea of a flat fabric for a coat, flat fabric for the vest, flat fabric for the pants, and so forth. It just doesn't seem very...Grellish to me, I suppose. Not for what I'm planning, anyway.
Texture is often up to interpretation with illustration and, to an even greater extend, cartoons. And, since so many people cosplay Grell, I'd like to take a slightly different approach.

If you can think of any other sort of fabric with a bit more texture, though, I'd be happy to check it out.