PDA

View Full Version : Analysis on End of Evangelion? *May be a spoiler**

*SpaceCowb0y*
10-20-2002, 12:56 AM
Ive just finished watchin "End of Evangelion", and I'd have to say that it was one the most confusing and twisted anime's ive seen since lain... Feel free to post any analysis on what was goin on and/or what you think happened at the end...:D

Yggdrasil Pie
10-20-2002, 11:10 AM
The End of Evangelion really freaked me out...

Before I watched it I was like: :D

Then after I was like::eek:

lol...I really don't have an analysis...I was really confused too...sorry... ^^;;;

shiroi_yukiko
10-20-2002, 11:15 AM
I was really confused too. I think it's the sort of movie that I have to watch 3-4 times and analyze everything... I wasn't paying much attention the first time anyway, since I was half asleep. This is one of those things that you have to be awake for, ne.

*SpaceCowb0y*
10-20-2002, 11:29 AM
i feel yah girl... this is my opinion what sorta happened... When Shinji made his 1st wish, it isnt exactly what he wanted since everybody died. Even though the people who died didn't have an AT field ,they were all still one whole since they're spirit is everywhere... then at the end, when Shinji felt it was wrong, he took back his last wish.... everybody came back to life.. especially since they showed Asuka... ok... I dont know if im makin any sense here.. lol .. this movie is sooo confusin hehe... But anyway this is what i think... dunno if its right or not... If you guys got any more feedback.. feel free to reply..

Later space cowboys.....

Mujuro Utsutsu
10-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Carl, you know why the "End of Evangelion" confused the heck outta ya? Cuz you're SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST KIDDING. It's still giving me headaches everytime i try thinking about it!!!

MarshalBanana
10-20-2002, 02:41 PM
aim me, i'll explain everything to you ^_^

XxNANA_AYUxX
10-20-2002, 07:10 PM
i thought the end of evangelion was pretty kwel...

*SpaceCowb0y*
10-20-2002, 07:25 PM
After hearing from MarshalBanana i finally got it ... now im starting to like this ending... Domo Arigato goziamasu

P.S.: if any1 is confused about the ending... im me... ill b more than happy to explain.

Later Space Cowboys...

tydawgsd
10-21-2002, 02:11 AM
Hmm the way I interpreted it was based on one of the SEELE guys lines that said something along the lines of that if a person knew who the really were they would be able to re-construct themselves from the primordial ooze. The ending was kind of weird and I interpreted it this way: Shinji whished for everyone to come back to life, which is why all the crosses fell back to Earth. However, only Shinji knew who he truly was, he understood all his faults and accepted him, in other words he knew the truth about who he was. Asuka kinda of confused me, but from what I gather her realization that she actually like Shinji and may be falling in love with him allowed her to see the whole truth about herself. I say truth because a lot of the series was about seeing the truth behing the lines, as cliche as that sounds. In effect since only Shinji and Asuka knew the truth about who they were, they were able to re-create themselves from the primordial ooze, in effect becoming the second Adam and Eve. Anyways as I saw it Shinji's last wish was to give everyone a second chance, but since only Asuka and him knew the truth about who they were, only they were able to re-construct themselves.

Well that is my take on the ending, if you have different take I would like to hear it, or if you just want to discuss my take, hit me up on AIM.

John Booty
10-21-2002, 07:02 AM
Okay, I've only seen this once, and it was several years ago on a crappy fansub. Yes Manga, I'd rather watch a crappy fansub than your crappy release, but that's another story.

Anyway, here what I thought it was about in very broad terms. When Shinji got his wish, the Human Completion Project (Human Instrumentality Project) basically happened. Everyone's AT fields were removed and they became one. It sort of seemed like they were all merging into that giant Rei, sort of like she was representing the combined spirit of humanity.

Essentially though, this means that everyone DIED. Without the AT fields, everybody sort of merged and nobody really existed as a person any more. Sort of like putting a bunch of different foods into a blender until it's a bland mass containing none of the qualities that made the original foods unique/special.

Shinji finally realized this and reversed it, choosing the suffering of human existence over the loss of everyone's humanity.

The message I got was this: although human existence is painful because of the separation between us, ultimately this suffering IS what makes us human.

The ending was both bleak (life=suffering) and hopeful (life/humanity=worth choosing over the alternative).

By the end of the series/movie it's fairly obvious that the AT field is a direct metaphor for the barriers between people. Remember how Kaoru said the AT field "is the light of my soul, a sacred place which no one may enter".

John Booty
10-21-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by tydawgsd
In effect since only Shinji and Asuka knew the truth about who they were, they were able to re-create themselves from the primordial ooze, in effect becoming the second Adam and Eve. Anyways as I saw it Shinji's last wish was to give everyone a second chance, but since only Asuka and him knew the truth about who they were, only they were able to re-construct themselves.

That's an interesting take, I hadn't thought about it that way. I had thought that everybody came back to life once Shinji wished for the whole process to be reversed. It *did* show only Shinji and Asuka remaining at the end, if I remember it correctly, but I don't remember thinking that they were literally the only two people left.

Of course I could have interpreted it wrong and it really has been some time since I've seen the movie! Dammit, I really want to see this again and look at things from that perspective.

MarshalBanana
10-21-2002, 12:01 PM
shinji and asuka never reverted to lcl and thus were never 'reconstructed'... also, all the plants and animals were still around cause they arent human and dont have souls..

Shima-Mizu
10-21-2002, 02:51 PM
EoE is probably the most thought provoking piece of anime ever created. If anything was designed specifically to conufse and wierd you out---this was it.

Hmm...maybe I'll go write more about this for the website, I haven't posted a review in a bit...

plastiknife
10-24-2002, 06:30 AM
Although it was confusing, I thought it was a great "alternate" ending. Who ever said Evangelion was supposed to be straight forward anyways? hehe

My favorite part: When Kumm Susser Todd was playing and rei hugged people for their last time... they looked so happy for that split second before BALLOOOOOY splat.

hehe

John Booty
10-24-2002, 11:18 AM
> My favorite part: When Kumm Susser
> Todd was playing and rei hugged people
> for their last time... they looked so
> happy for that split second before
> BALLOOOOOY splat.

Yes! It was amazing, the mixture of terror and happiness on their faces.

Okay, I watched this again last night for the first time in a few years. Wow. What an amazing movie. The fight scenes with Asuka are just so amazing and heartbreaking.

I don't know if I actually understood any more than I did from the first time I watched it, though!

Some people suggested that Asuka was sort of a combination of all the women in Shinji's life at the end, but that's not the impression I got at all. The girl at the end is definitely Asuka, in Asuka's plugsuit. She's bandaged like Rei, but I think she's just bandaged after getting torn apart at the end of that fight.... notice how at the end of the fight she's holding her left eye, and her left eye is bandaged at the end of the movie.

The big question in my mind was whether or not Asuka and Shinji are the only ones left at the end of the movie. I still don't know! Visually it's hard to tell since they're the only ones around in a pretty bleak landscape, so they LOOK alone.

However, Shinji reversed the unification of everyone's minds. Also, it seemed like the crosses and red glowy particles which seemed to represent people's souls that the giant Rei absorbed during everyone's unification were flowing back to the Earth after the unification was stopped. So maybe everyone was alive again?

I'm still not sure though. After all, it seems like the apparitions of Rei physically killed everybody when she "popped" them. So maybe only Shinji and Asuka survived since they were in the Eva units, and they're supposed to be like Adam and Eve in this new world?

I guess it's a matter of how much Shinji's reversal actually REVERSED. I guess they left this intentionally vague.

MarshalBanana
10-24-2002, 01:53 PM
he didnt reverse it, he moved it in a different direction than originally intended

Fireflyprincess
10-24-2002, 04:36 PM
The world is doomed! Especially if Aska and Shinji are the only humans left to populate the planet. They're both insane!!

dragonessa
10-25-2002, 11:57 AM
ah so profound EoE is.

i too, watched a crappy fansub and i rented death & rebirth this past week, since i didn't watch that part, just EoE.

what you said, John, makes complete sense. I need to watch it again, and again, and again. I love Eva. :D

3-D
10-26-2002, 06:55 AM
I don't think Shinji and Asuka are the last humans on Earth. As Shinji was coming back, Yui (or was it Rei...) said any human who had the will could recreate their own AT field and return. Shinji and Asuka are therefore not the only man and woman left on Earth in all likelyhood, because I'd wager Asuka came back from ooze like everyone else. Of course, that's provided she wasn't dead to begin with after EVA-02 was torn to shreds, in which case she came full out back from the dead. :-P (Kinda leaves me wondering if Kaji and Misato woulda chosen to come back....)

Standard disclaimer: I could be completely off base and wrong here. (But I don't think I am this time. ;) )

tydawgsd
10-30-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by 3-D
I don't think Shinji and Asuka are the last humans on Earth. As Shinji was coming back, Yui (or was it Rei...) said any human who had the will could recreate their own AT field and return. Shinji and Asuka are therefore not the only man and woman left on Earth in all likelyhood, because I'd wager Asuka came back from ooze like everyone else. Of course, that's provided she wasn't dead to begin with after EVA-02 was torn to shreds, in which case she came full out back from the dead. :-P (Kinda leaves me wondering if Kaji and Misato woulda chosen to come back....)

Standard disclaimer: I could be completely off base and wrong here. (But I don't think I am this time. ;) )

This is true, but the fact that nobody else appears after everything happens leads to my reasoning. Yes Rei says anyone who has the will can re-create their AT field and come back, but if that is so, why has no one else returned besides Shinji and Asuka at the end? That is why I think they are the only ones left, but that is just my interpretation.

MarshalBanana
10-30-2002, 01:01 PM
shinji and asuka never seperated from/lost their bodies and thus didnt have to returnto /rebuild them.

Mei Lan Chang
10-30-2002, 01:09 PM
But you see, Asuka wasn't really Asuka. If you look, she is wearing Misato's clothes and Rei's bandages. It's like all the women of his life melded into one dead girl with an undead arm. I must say it was reather disturbing when the first thing he did after rewishing the earth back, was to start choking her/them.

After watching the last episodes of Eva, I was disatisfied and confused. I could wait to see the movies so I downloaded them. I just remember watching the clock as the movies went by and thinking..."Okay...you have only fifteen minutes to get better.....ten...five..."

stupidmanguy
09-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I just had one more thing to add. A different take on why Asuka and Shinji remained at the end. Basically Shinji decided to let people choose if they want to be "alive" again. The way they can live again is to want to live and therefore want to suffer because it outweighs the alternative. For people who aren't strong enough within themselves, they remain in the ooze,(LCL) but for people who are strong enough to know who they are and have the will to live, they become human again. This is why Asuka reappears, because she had the will and knew that she wanted to live. This is attributed to her strong and very brazen personality throughout the show, so she almost defiantly wants to live just because she wants to prove she can. There is also the final line which can mean almost an infinite number of things. Kimochi warui which has been translated into "I feel sick" or "disgusting" etc. Anyone know why that would be the final line of the movie and of Evangelion itself?

stupidmanguy
09-26-2008, 01:16 PM
on the other hand, some say that the reason only asuka returned was because shinji willed it. Since he doomed humanity, he also had the power to return things to the way they were. when you think about it, he would only revive asuka because he wouldn't want to be alone, and because he was scared of everyone else. The fact that he wanted her alive and that she had the desire to live means that she would be the only one to come back.

sam vimes
09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
End of Evangelion: the creator read some Kierkegaard and tried to be deep and edgy, needlessly incorporating his views on what he read into a perfectly good series about giant mechs and rushed the ending, thus ruining the series.