PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest fears

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
What was your greatest fear as a child?

What is your greatest fear as an adult?

EXPOSE YOUR WEAKNESSES.

And don't give me generic crap, like "monsters under the bed" or "this girl/boy will reject me" or "bullies, sadface". I want real fears here, people. Specific, odd, and unique to you. Actually, the weirder the better! I DEMAND SENSATIONALISM. None of this bland bullshit, and that you have no fears as an adult. That is so not true, and we all know it.

Bonus points for bridging your childhood fears with your adult fears for maximum cheese factor - wait, I mean "revelations."

I will start.

As a child, I was horribly afraid of a scene from The Last Starfighter. It is a scene where an alien machine (?) grows in the shape of the hero, who is now fighting in space. But this machine being is incubating in his bed, and they pull back the cover to reveal a horribly disfigured growing mutant being. I remember at night being very afraid to peel back the covers of the bed my mother made me make in the morning, in fear I would see this creature looking at me. Forget about the monster UNDER the bed. I was afraid of the one potentially IN it. (High five for anyone who knows this scene! ....anybody! ....leaving me hanging, here!)

As an adult, my greatest fear is letting down my parents. They are so sweet. So innocent. So undeserving of their nice daughter shaving her head, dressing in skimpy outfits and Nazi uniforms and whatnot. And yet, they are so proud of me. They scour the internets finding videos and pictures of me, which I go out of my way to avoid. Mind you, I am a full-sized, 1:1 ratio adult. And yet this fear still grips me, that they are somehow feigning their approval. ...I think they secretly are. Sorry, mom and dad. I'm not a doctor or a lawyer. But I can make a dang convincing costume of one!

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
...actually, negate that. I'm really afraid no one will answer in this thread and I will have just revealed my deepest darkest secrets to the internet. THREAD DELETED IN 3... 2... 1...

Aearon
01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Hmmm.... As a child, I was afraid of heights. Nothing really scared me in a movie or anything like that as far as I remember.

As an adult... I can't think of anything that I'm really afraid of tbh.

Kildread
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
People in all-black zentai suits covering their entire bodies.

It used to be only 'vaguely humanoid forms of a uniform black color', but I've discovered what zentai suits are since then, so that's it.

There was a program passing on TV when I was SO VERY YOUNG --- I don't even remember the title, the purpose, or what it was about, I only remember one scene, lots of black humanoid forms converging on teenagers.

To this day, it still left a mark on my weak little mind.

CDF_Vagabond
01-15-2011, 06:05 PM
When I was a kid I had a extreme fear of Roller Coasters, now that I am a adult I don't have that fear anymore.

Yukikittie
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
My fear when I was a little kid was sharks. I couldn't see videos of them, or pictures without freaking out and crying.
My greatest fear today is abandonment. I'm deadly afraid that everyone I love will leave me in some way and I'll be all alone.
Although sharks do still scare the shit out of me.

Admin
01-15-2011, 06:42 PM
As a child I was terrified of one specific mirror in my house, it always gave me an eerie feeling.

As an adult, my greatest fear is forgetting to buy beer before the corner store closes.

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I suddenly have a 3rd fear... that of appearing long-winded. Thanks, guys!

Also, the black zentai suit thing scares me. That is legit right there. And the beer.

Seriously though. Mirrors? Roller coasters? Heights? *shakes head*

Kildread
01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Seriously though. Mirrors? Roller coasters? Heights? *shakes head*

They did not input any thought in replying to this topic!

Admin
01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
That is legit right there. And the beer.

Considering you drank all of mine, today my fear is realized.

ChilmarkGryphon
01-15-2011, 06:52 PM
My greatest childhood fear was morlocks. Yeah, like from The Time Machine; thanks a lot, Wishbone >__>. I thought they were under my bed, and became a master of jumping from the doorway of my room to the bed without touching the floor lest they

As an adult, my greatest fear is that I'll never get anything better than an Honorable Mention for cosplay. Okay, no, I'm lying. My greatest fear is that I will never have a real job. I'm 20 years old and I've never been able to get one. I wasn't allowed to have a job in high school, the job market crashed the year I started college, and I'm in NYC, where there will always be someone more qualified than you in your field. I have a mortal terror that I will reach 30 or something and I'll have a degree from a mediocre school and no job experience and nobody will want me and THERE WILL BE NO ARMOR PROJECTS EVER AGAIN D:

Kildread
01-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Let me contribute a second one: Needles.

I can handle getting a blood sample, but it drives my vitals up the wall. SHows involving needles also freak the hell out of me. I barely remember the Escaflowne movie.
Except the whole thing about getting strapped to that mech. Shivers, right there.

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I thought they were under my bed, and became a master of jumping from the doorway of my room to the bed without touching the floor lest they

I really like how you left this sentence here. As is typical with many of the great horror movies, what they leave out is frequently more terrifying than what they could have put in. I am afraid. (Although The Time Machine isn't a horror movie. ...now it is.)

SourCherryTwist
01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Vacuum Cleaners. to this day they scare the shit outta me. and Im 20 years old. /loser

Jia Jem
01-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Vacuum Cleaners. to this day they scare the shit outta me. and Im 20 years old. /loser

I... hope you have hardwood floors to sweep.

NEEDLES.

HERE IS ANOTHER FEAR.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAS KEPT ME AWAY FROM DRUGS MY ENTIRE LIFE.

THIS MOVIE. TOMMY. AND TINA TURNER. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_z9V6HlAeI)

It would seriously make me cry as a kid to think that someone would FORCE me to shoot up. Like, stick a needle in me and the next day I would be craving heroin. Thanks, Tommy!

Eleksin
01-15-2011, 07:03 PM
As a child I was scared of Velociraptors and for some reason, I thought they were spying on me just waiting to eat me. I never wanted to be alone.

As an adult I have a phobia on lighting and thunder. I know there is probably no chance of it ever hurting me but I cannot help but flinch visibly while indoors and if I am outdoors... well I just book it until I get inside a building with my hands over my ears.

ChilmarkGryphon
01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I really like how you left this sentence here. As is typical with many of the great horror movies, what they leave out is frequently more terrifying than what they could have put in. I am afraid. (Although The Time Machine isn't a horror movie. ...now it is.)

Alas, that was unintentional. I got distracted. And by distracted I mean "oh hey burning smell coming from the bathroom **** MY SWORD FELL ON THE RADIATOR". I guess it thought that being on fire would be more appropriately angelic.
I can't remember what I was afraid of them doing, but the Wishbone episode of The Time Machine was definitely horror movie material. Think rabid albino chimpanzees covered in vaseline.

Fabulousity
01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
You want creative? I'll give you creative! But first, a not so creative one: Bloody Mary. She scares the crap out of me. Now on to the creative ones, starting from least to greatest. Evil Puppet People. You know like the movie Dead Silence? That is perhaps my greatest fear. And finally Evil Suicidal Clowns Hanging From A Noose In My Attic. How do you like THAT for creative?

A.F.S. 1984
01-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Various flying things that that can sting. When I was a kid, I was at school oneday on the playground and a wasp landed on me. Everyone said dont move and it will go away. So I didnt move. It crawled up my back, onto my shoulder, onto my face and into my eye. When I saw the outline of the wasp, I freaked out and started punching myself in the face. I have had this fear ever since.

J.Kazama
01-15-2011, 07:31 PM
I've been claustrophobic most of my life.

There was a time when my mother and I went to visit my grandpa when he was at the hospital, and he was in like the fifth floor or something like that, so we had to take the elevator to reach his room. Electricity suddenly got cut and we stayed in the elevator until that power plant they have started working, but those minutes were so terrifying to me!

These days I can't be in a room or in a place where I don't see a possible way out. I open all my windows and doors when I'm alone in my house. I need to see an exit. I sleep with my windows open, and seeing someone locking a door stresses me so bad! In college I seat either close to the door or close to the window.

I'm also terrified of doctors, doesn't matter the title I'm terrified of them.

adolf
01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm terrified of slugs and snails. Once I almost sat on a huge snail in the dark, and dead slugs would litter the path home from school after a rainy day. Oh, and they'd occasionally drown in the community pool. The human-snails in Uzumaki did not do anything to quell my fears. :<

Yui
01-15-2011, 07:44 PM
As a child, I was horribly afraid of a scene from The Last Starfighter. It is a scene where an alien machine (?) grows in the shape of the hero, who is now fighting in space. But this machine being is incubating in his bed, and they pull back the cover to reveal a horribly disfigured growing mutant being. I remember at night being very afraid to peel back the covers of the bed my mother made me make in the morning, in fear I would see this creature looking at me. Forget about the monster UNDER the bed. I was afraid of the one potentially IN it. (High five for anyone who knows this scene! ....anybody! ....leaving me hanging, here!)

Uh, yeah, my fear as an adult is that people steal *my* unique fears.

I was terrified of that scene, too, and *never* made my bed after. >XD I also was afraid of random people walking down the sidewalk and yanking other people's legs off like that scene from the Swampthing movie, since I thought appendages were really that easily detachable. Oh yeah, and then I was afraid of showers for a really long time after that one Ninja Turtles episode where April gets pushed into one and mutates into a dolphin. Or maybe it was the one she mutated into a cat? Anyway, I just took baths for many years afterward.

Oh. And also as a kid I was deeply creeped out by babies, and would avoid them at all costs since I thought they look deformed.

Moon Melody
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
As a child, I was afraid by em... em.. Horror films ? And volcano. But there's no volcano where I'm living. yeah.

And I grow, by adding more and more fear, because I understand that I'm not invinsible and a lot of thing could kill me. So ~

Heigh
I'm a claustrophaub.
I have BIG fear of crowd.
But I have a big fear of being alone in a vast place with no hiding.
Taxi.
BEE,
And all flying insect in general.
What people think about me ( T_T )
Tornados, volcanos, heartquake, tsunami, every natural catastrophe.
The end of the world.
Underground parking garage,
just underground in general.
Ghost and spirit.
Horror movies.
Vaccins
Death
And lost everyone I love.

I think it's pretty much that T_T

J.Kazama
01-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Oh, oh, I remembered another one!

I'm terrified of whales. I can't see a picture of a whale, video, name it, I. Can't see one. Can't. Zero, bam, those animals DON'T EXIST IN MY ANIMAL KINGDOM! >_<

nannyogg
01-15-2011, 11:43 PM
When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I had a babysitter that let me stay up and watch a werewolf movie. This would have been an old black and white one, and probably not at all scary by today's standards, but I remember vividly still that there was a couple walking along the beach and this werewolf came along and he made these horrible sounds and they didn't show it (yep, all that stuff they don't show!), but I knew he ate them. Somehow this turned into becoming convinced that werewolves (and later, even vampires) could come through my closet and the closet door HAD to be closed all the way, not even a teensy, weensy, weeney little crack, or I'd spend the whole night huddled under my covers in abject fear, head covered, convinced that if I stayed still enough they'd not notice me, until morning would finally come and I could escape safely into the daytime.
Somehow I got through that, then when I was about 8 or so, the movie Jaws came out and my mom wouldn't let me watch it, so, precocious reader that I was, I went down to the library and got a copy of the book and read that. Never mind that I lived an hour and a half from the ocean and all that stuff; I spent many nights huddled under the blankets again, wondering when some great, giant, landshark equivalent would come bite a chunk out of my loft bed, taking half my body with it, leaving only my top half and guts lingering behind to be found in the morning.
Then I got past that and about a year later, I kept having these recurring and very realistic dreams that my older brother and I were sleeping in a tree hut in the jungle, and I kept wanting to talk and he kept telling me, "Shhhh!" And he told me that if we were loud, it would attract the panthers. That scared me, so in my dream I would settle down and try to go to sleep, and in the silence, I would hear the foot pads of the great cats outside, and I'd feel the fear rising in my chest and in my throat, ears pounding, and then I would hear the gentle thud of a panther, jumping through the window into our hut... and in reflex, I would pull the covers over my head, but my toes would be revealed and I would hear the foot pads of the giant cat, I would feel its hot breath on my toes... and then I would wake up, every time.
Then after I stopped having that dream, I was maybe 11 or 12, and my mom had left me and my brother at home (he's about 2 years older) at night, and we got ourselves off to sleep before my mom got home. I woke up at some point and went to get a glass of water, which I was in the habit of doing in the dark; I'd never turn the lights on because I didn't want to wake anyone up and get griped at. My brother must have noticed my habit because when I walked down the hall, I tripped over something curled up in wait there, saw a great flash, and heard a huge BANG! shot... it was my brother who had waited in the hall for me with a cap gun, wanting to scare the hell out of me. I turned the lights on for a long time after that.

As an adult, probably my biggest fear is that something horrible will happen to one of my kids and I won't be able to do anything about it. Like, when my younger son was 2, he figured out how to pop open the storm door and took off outside. I ran after him, but I wasn't fast enough and he was getting to the road before I could get to him. A minivan was speeding down the street, probably going about 40, and he was in a direct path to be hit by it. When he got to the edge of the lawn, he tripped and fell backward. Had he fallen forward, he would have been crushed under the wheels. That gave me nightmares for a very long time. Less than a month later, I bought a house on a very, very quiet street.

Clyde_2.0
01-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Ohhh dear, here we go..

When I first watched "Hook" I only made it to the Boo Box scene, yanno the one where they drop spiders and scorpions in on the guy. At the time I lived in TX where I had quite intimate knowledge of what a scorpion sting would do to a person. I was absolutely terrorized and could not sleep/had nightmares for months. I still have issues with that scene even though I love the movie now.

I also had a rather strong fear of medicine as a child, it wasn't just dislike, it was fear. And my fear manifested itself in the form of an unusually strong gag reflex, my mum had to go through all sorts of lengths to get me to take meds. I'm not to sure why I thought they were gonna hurt me but I'm so glad I'm over that now.

My biggest fear as an adult is being seen as unintelligent. It pisses me off when people think I have no idea what I'm saying, but that's because I'm scared they think I'm stupid. I know for a fact I'm not, but I'm still afraid of it. Maybe it's an extension of not wanting to be lost as a nobody in how giant this world has become... I'm not sure.

FunnyValentine
01-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Here it goes. When I was younger I was afraid old, white beaten up cars and red cars. My brother and I were bored and throwing rocks. We accidentaly(no, seriously.) hit this car. We got so scared and ran to the back of the house and they got so scared. I had to tell my dad and he started freaking out. Oh man...still scares me thinking about it! :'( And yes, similiar incident with another car.

Ugh. Feels good to say that.

I really am terrified off exorcism movies, oh man, they freak me out so bad.

I also get scared(could be anxiety?) whenever I have to travel to a place I haven't been to for the first time.

FunnyValentine
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Oh! I liked the movie Mars Attack when I was a kid, but then I would freak out at the part where....(no idea...just trying to remember) one of the aliens went in one of the house's and like took their brain out or something.

UC77
01-16-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm actually pretty scared of aliens for some reason. You know, like extra-terrestrials and stuff. They're all out to get humans with ray guns and anal probes... :alien::eeek:

I used to be scared of robots too but then I started watching giant robot anime and I got over that. And then I saw Terminator 2 and saw that the Terminator was a nice guy so now robots are cool.

Flora88
01-16-2011, 03:53 AM
There is a Caddo burial mound on my property. When I was younger, I was afraid that Caddo ghosts would come and attack us in the night, marching up the stairs. Sometimes, I even imagined that I heard drums.

Pet Sematary scared the shit out of me, too. Especially that one scene in which the little undead kid pops out from under the bed and kills that old man. That's some scary-ass shit when you're seven.

As an adult, I'm afraid of significantly more things than I was as a child.

I'm afraid of being haunted by a demon or some shit. The paranormal creeps me the fuck out. And I've heard some scary-ass stories. Aliens? No thanks. Ghosts? Nope. Demons? I'll pass, thanks.

I'm also afraid of developing Alzheimer's one day, and feeling my brain deteriorate. Or having Lou Gherig's Disease and having to feel my body deteriorate.

I'm afraid of being raped. An invasion of oneself...
And, sadly, this is not a fear nearly as irrational as the fear of Caddo ghosts or that scary-ass kid from Pet Sematary popping out from under my bed and killing my ass. This is a very real, very rational fear. :(

Origin
01-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Fear as a child?
Being abandoned =/ I don't know why I had this fear, but if my mom was fifteen minutes late picking me up from school I would be in tears thinking she'd abandoned me. I could go all psychological on myself and say its 'daddy' issues since my father gave me up and blah, blah, blah but I did this when I was FIVE and had my grandpa (who was like my dad in my little girl eyes.)

Fear as an adult?
Besides having a really ODD fear of heights (I can sit in a 40ft tall tree and be perfectly okay, but put me on the second floor of a mall or anywhere with a balcony that is NOT immediately jumpable without bodily injury, and I freak out. Heck I've parasailed and been fine, but if I get near the edge of a balcony I start to sweat.) I'm afraid of letting down the people I love. My parents already think I'm psycho for dressing up as demons and priestesses and psychotic nurses, but they're nonetheless proud of me in everything I've done. I have a wonderful boyfriend who supports me just as strongly and no matter how badly I've screwed up never shows scorn, just pride. So letting them down would be crushing.

My random fear?
I'm terrified of having a roommate in college. I'm literally working three jobs to afford the extra 2k to pay for a single room suite so I don't have to have a college. It's that or convince my parents to move within 50 miles of my college XD

Viveeh
01-16-2011, 04:28 AM
When I was a kid I got a phobia of fire.

Now I have a phobia of fire.

And I just hate seeing dead bugs. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them but dear, they make me feel a bit nauseous and shaky. Alive bugs are just fine.

Miki Starwind
01-16-2011, 05:38 AM
This is gonna sound odd, but my biggest and oddest childhood fear was this ONE particular AIDS prevention PSA that used to run on TV when I was around six or seven. Two seconds in, I would be screaming over it, covering my ears and eyes.

To this day, some thirteen-fifteen years later, I *still* remember some parts of it. The voice-over was a guy with a terribly dreary monotone, saying stuff along the lines off, "I'm a normal person, just like you - I just happen to be an AIDS patient." The entire point of the commercial was a "this could be anyone, even YOU" anonymity, so, instead of SHOWING the guy, it just showed this faceless black silhouette (yes, a la iPod commercial.) At one point, the scariest part of the commercial for me, the black silhouette multiplied... and they all swayed back and forth from side to side, in unison. About twenty to fifteen of them, just swaying... swaying... God, it was CREEPY.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one scared by it, because they pulled it out VERY quickly. I think it was only on TV for a couple of months.

Also, when I was little, O'Fortuna used to scare me. I would cover my ears during any scenes or commercials that used it.

My only "odd" fear as an adult is watching everything I think is so cool and new right now become old and dated. I've come across a few "90s kids" memes that featured a LOT of things from my childhood - I'm scared for the day when "00s kids" memes will mention stuff like Shane Dawson, the iPad, Silly Bands, Haruhi Suzumiya, Gurren Lagann, etc.

Heck, I'm already a biiiiiiit creeped out by the idea of going to Invadercon. I refuse to believe Zim is ten years old already, time's going by too damn fast!

doxiequeen1
01-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Well when I was younger I had OCD. Now not the normal "OMG IS THAT DUST?!?!!" Obsessed with routines and everything being in order. But in the way where I was scared of everything and if their was something I wasn't scared of I could convince myself in a matter of hours that is was the most frightening thing in the world.

My big fear was my family dying, and I would be left alone with nobody to ever love me because I was a weird broken little child. I would sit in bed shaking with fear about that happening cry myself too sleep and dream these horrid dreams. >.<

It wasn't the typical "what will I do without mommy?" Type of thing. It was somuch worse. It was terrifying. With hardcore medication over the next few years the awful OCD is now gone.

I suppose now my fear is nobody will ever love or care about me since I am still a weird little girl xD

han-Vu
01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
(floats about invisibly in the background)

you must go back to Hinamizawa

ShinobiXikyu
01-16-2011, 11:35 AM
I was afraid of soooooooooooo much as a kid, and most of it stayed.
Okay, stuff I feared as a kid;
-Fire (particularly the house burning down), and things related like burning myself, dying in a fire/burning alive, and losing everything in a house fire.

-Dogs; when I got bitten at age 9, it's stayed that way ever since.

-Spiders. Ugh. I thought I'd gotten over it, 'til I was 16 and one crawled into my makeup case....

-For the "monster" fears? I was deathly afraid of the thought of werewolves. I thought if I went into the woods at night, regardless of the time of month, they'd be lurking behind the trees. And for several years, I thought they were under my bed at night. I'm still too chickenshit to go into the woods at night, for various reasons. (And I grew up in the ass-end of nowhere, where it was pitch black at night and nothign BUT woods around the house)

-Heavy machinery and big trucks. Being around such big things just creeped me out. I think I thought that they'd suddenly move and squash me, or someone operating them wouldn't see me/wouldn't be able to stop i ntime and maim or kill me.

-Snakebites. There weren't any poisonous snakes around, and I love NON-poisonous ones, but the thought of getting a snakebite on a hike scared the hell out of me. I blame my wilderness survival books. X_X

-When it got windy and telephone wires whistled. The noise scared me shitless, and I'd hide under my blankets.

-Vacuum cleaners. Especially when I was a kid, we'd keep it stored in a corner of the basement, and I'd have to walk past it to go to the basement playroom....for some reason, it REALLY freaked me out when it was just standing up and put away in the basement. That doesn't scare me now, but I still hate vacuum cleaners. Mostly for the noise.

Oh, and this is my weirdest one, which remains to this day; Diving/jumping into water. If it's like, knee height or not above my chest, or I go under when I'm already IN water, no big deal. Jump off a dock, diving board, water slide, boat or anything else that kids all called "fun" at the beach? NO FUCKING WAY. I was never good at swimming, either. Nobody in my direct family has anything to do with water sports, so I didn't learn even the basics of swimming until I was almost 11.

...but yeah. That's a weird phobia, and I have no idea why I have it. And my friends forcibly tried to make me "get over it" when I was a kid by just dragging me off the end of a diving board and shoving me underwater, but that certainly didn't help at all. They got bloody noses because I freaked out so much and I wouldn't come within twenty feet of the pool for the rest of the day.

.....Uh, what I'm afraid of as an adult that DIDN'T just stick around from childhood? And isn't a really obvious fear like failure, rape, your parents dying and such?
...Lol, I can't even think of anything specific and not so common. Besides zombies and the end of the world.

Edit: Forgot one from when I was a kid; railroad tracks. Thanks to train safety presentations, I was HORRIFIED of crossing railroad tracks. I always thought we'd stall, not be able to get off, then a train would come barreling down at us and kill us. X_X I'm scared nowadays of riding a train and crashing in it, but that's much more sensible.

Clyde_2.0
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I just was reminded of a fear I have as an adult... Angry Yelling.

It doesn't matter who it's directed to, I start shaking and can't think properly. Even if it's some random person on the street. I have no idea why, seeing as I had a fairly happy childhood. I don't have a problem with regular or excited shouting, though I do get headaches easily, but if the intonation is upset or angry... yeah. :eeek:

toshirua3846384
01-16-2011, 12:10 PM
My fear when I was a little kid was sharks. I couldn't see videos of them, or pictures without freaking out and crying.
My greatest fear today is abandonment. I'm deadly afraid that everyone I love will leave me in some way and I'll be all alone.
Although sharks do still scare the shit out of me.

> x < i feel like a bad person because sharks are delicious to me just like squid, octopus, and eel.
back on topic v v

My greatest fear today as an adult and as a female is having certain rights taken away from me because of our political system. Also i have a fear of kids. Im uncomfortable around them, i don't like them, i hate having to "pretend" to like their stuff to appeal to other parents who baby their kids obsessively ( i hate icarly and all that type of crap, sorry ) and i rather have a robot or two basset hounds instead of one . (* may i add that i always had this type of mind set even when i was a kid at 10 and it haven't changed since.)

Oblivion_Kirie
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Spider webs. Not so much the spiders in them, but the webs freak me out to the point of an almost phobia. I think it started out when I was little, I must have walked into one or something. My parents ended up using the threat of 'there are webs in there!' to keep me out of stuff, and it worked.
I don't know, it's just the texture of them, all sticky and clinging to you if you happen to get one on you. I'm 21, and if I walk into one I'll have a panic attack. One of my favorite things to do is go hiking in the woods, but I'm terrified of walking through one on the trail so I always carry a stick or something and wave it up and down in front of me to break them.

hollowchrist
01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah, and then I was afraid of showers for a really long time after that one Ninja Turtles episode where April gets pushed into one and mutates into a dolphin. Or maybe it was the one she mutated into a cat? Anyway, I just took baths for many years afterward.

I dunno about her mutating into a dolphin, but the one where she mutates into a cat-woman was the one where Shredder had developed the transporter, and it went hay-wire while she was trying to get pictures of it for her next story. It crossed her with an orange tabby.

I'm terrified of having a roommate in college. I'm literally working three jobs to afford the extra 2k to pay for a single room suite so I don't have to have a college. It's that or convince my parents to move within 50 miles of my college XD
There's a new horror movie coming out in February called 'The Roommate'. I suggest you not watch it. ;D

I'm deathly afraid of zombies. o_o I love me some zombie movies, but I pay the price of sitting awake for days on end because of them. I guess it more stems on the fact that, if something like a zombie apocalypse were to happen, I'm completely unprepared for it. Thus, I would die along with everyone I love.

Other than that, I'm ridiculously scared of losing my son. To anything. Death, Social Services, his p.o.s. dad, anything.

penny_dreadful
01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Irrational fears I have and/or have had:

-Abandoned places
-After I saw Bela Lugosi in Dracula as a small child, I started sleeping with the covers over my head so no vampires would get me. Later this morphed into a fear of aliens. Then it was just habit: I can't sleep unless the covers are pulled all the way over my head, with just a tiny hole to breathe out of. This is hilarious to everyone who's ever seen me sleeping.
-All forms of aquatic life. DO NOT LET THAT MINNOW TOUCH ME.
-Anything with tentacles
-A white horse in the middle of the road that just looks at you
-Basements
-Caves, tunnels, submarines, etc. Very Freudian, I know.
-Centipedes, human or otherwise
-Crowds
-Cryptids. All of them.
-Earwigs
-Lights in the woods at night
-Mirrors in dark rooms (also windows, if they're large and uncovered)
-Monsters with big teeth that smile at you
-Stinging/biting insects
-Waking up in the middle of the night and seeing something standing near the bed

And those are just the irrational ones.

Flora88
01-16-2011, 01:38 PM
> x < i feel like a bad person because sharks are delicious to me just like squid, octopus, and eel.
back on topic v v

My greatest fear today as an adult and as a female is having certain rights taken away from me because of our political system. Also i have a fear of kids. Im uncomfortable around them, i don't like them, i hate having to "pretend" to like their stuff to appeal to other parents who baby their kids obsessively ( i hate icarly and all that type of crap, sorry ) and i rather have a robot or two basset hounds instead of one . (* may i add that i always had this type of mind set even when i was a kid at 10 and it haven't changed since.)

You're rising rapidly through the ranks of "my favorite fellow cosplay.com-ers."

onewingedjade
01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
When I was younger, I was afraid of dolls and such. My grandmother got me 'Baby Shivers' and they still pick on me for opening it and throwing it across the room.
There was also this fan that sounded like someone was yelling into it, so I guess I had schizophrenia too.

As an adult, I'm not afraid of heights but jumping from them - I can't jump from 4 feet off the ground. I don't think anyone's mentioned speeches, nothing makes my heart pound harder. I'm afraid of those bungee rides like you see in tourist attractions. Parasites, tapeworms (I think this is half the reason I'm vegetarian), bugs crawling in my ears and laying eggs or eating my brain. Big angry dogs are downright terrifying.

I used to be afraid of parental disapproval too, but I overcame that when I let them down and the world didn't end.

Xanarcah
01-16-2011, 01:58 PM
As a child, I was deathly afraid of the volcano (http://supervegasdeals.com/images/mirage_hotel.jpg) outside of the Mirage hotel in Las Vegas. I would have my face pressed to the glass windows in the front of the hotel and refuse to exit through the front doors. Now, of course, I look at it and it's a fountain with red lights shining through the water.

Now as an adult, I'm afraid of little, red, flippy worms. Not the big, sedate ones, but the really energetic ones that flipflop all over the place and come in somehow clinging to the outside of the bowl when you've taken the compost out. I moved a bowl and there was one on the counter. D: Bllleeehhhh.

penny_dreadful
01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Also i have a fear of kids. Im uncomfortable around them, i don't like them, i hate having to "pretend" to like their stuff to appeal to other parents who baby their kids obsessively ( i hate icarly and all that type of crap, sorry ) and i rather have a robot or two basset hounds instead of one . (* may i add that i always had this type of mind set even when i was a kid at 10 and it haven't changed since.)

I'm always really interested in the reasons people don't like children. While I can respect not being into "kid" stuff or not particularly enjoying being around children, and I certainly respect the decision to not reproduce, it's something so far removed from my own mindset. I would love to understand where it comes from. For one, we were all children once, so the notion that childhood would become such an alien thing when we become adults is confusing. Is it really that easy to forget what it's like to be little? For another, I consider childhood a time when we have the greatest potential, when our minds are open to so much and our creative possibilities are virtually limitless. Bearing in mind, of course, that a snotty toddler throwing a tantrum because they refuse to put on socks and eat their vegetables doesn't paint a perfect portrait of open-minded creative potential. I guess I'd just like to understand how someone comes to dislike children wholesale.

When I was younger, I was afraid of dolls and such. My grandmother got me 'Baby Shivers' and they still pick on me for opening it and throwing it across the room.

In your defense, "Baby Shivers" totally sounds like a terrifying work of psychological horror.

A.F.S. 1984
01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm always really interested in the reasons people don't like children. While I can respect not being into "kid" stuff or not particularly enjoying being around children, and I certainly respect the decision to not reproduce, it's something so far removed from my own mindset. I would love to understand where it comes from. For one, we were all children once, so the notion that childhood would become such an alien thing when we become adults is confusing. Is it really that easy to forget what it's like to be little? For another, I consider childhood a time when we have the greatest potential, when our minds are open to so much and our creative possibilities are virtually limitless. Bearing in mind, of course, that a snotty toddler throwing a tantrum because they refuse to put on socks and eat their vegetables doesn't paint a perfect portrait of open-minded creative potential. I guess I'd just like to understand how someone comes to dislike children wholesale.

I believe the kids of today are different. I dont fear them though; its more hate than fear because of the way they act, the things they do, and the disrespect they have towards numerous things. People can say that kids are all the same but I can tell you based on sociology and personal experience I and everyone I knew as a kid that was a kid were not like the kids are today.

penny_dreadful
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe the kids of today are different. I dont fear them though; its more hate than fear because of the way they act, the things they do, and the disrespect they have towards numerous things. People can say that kids are all the same but I can tell you based on sociology and personal experience I and everyone I knew as a kid that was a kid were not like the kids are today.

I'm not sure it's fair to summarize all children as being "different" from children of the past, or even from when we (for a given value of "we," I don't know how old you are) were children. Certainly kids in developed countries are likely to be growing up in a rapidly-changing culture, where it can seem like values are constantly shifting. It's just-- there's a lot of kids out there. I'm not convinced that young people, or at least the dynamic between young people and adult people, is so radically different from how it's always been. And children of different ages tend to have very different general behaviors. Babies, toddlers, school-age children, "tweens," middle schoolers, high schoolers-- there are some vast differences between those groups, although all might be qualified as kids, and within each group you will find some very well-behaved individuals, others that are exceptionally unpleasant, and most will fall somewhere in between.

To be clear, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone who doesn't like kids, certainly they're entitled to their feelings and opinions. I'm eager to understand where those feelings and opinions come from, especially targeted towards such a broad sampling of people.

Mogwai
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
When I was a child, I was afraid of geese. XD My aunt had a this gigantic goose that always flared up and hissed at you when you walked by it. Another fear as a child would be a scene from the Exorcist where the girl spiderwalks backwards down the stairs. <___<; Scares the hell outta me, I used to hide behind the couch each time that part came on. XD;;

My greatest fear as an adult would probably be the death of a loved one and heights.

Flora88
01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
When I was a child, I was afraid of geese. XD My aunt had a this gigantic goose that always flared up and hissed at you when you walked by it. Another fear as a child would be a scene from the Exorcist where the girl spiderwalks backwards down the stairs. <___<; Scares the hell outta me, I used to hide behind the couch each time that part came on. XD;;

My greatest fear as an adult would probably be the death of a loved one and heights.

@Mogwai
A) I like your name.
B) Geese are fuckin' scary!

Flora88
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to summarize all children as being "different" from children of the past, or even from when we (for a given value of "we," I don't know how old you are) were children. Certainly kids in developed countries are likely to be growing up in a rapidly-changing culture, where it can seem like values are constantly shifting. It's just-- there's a lot of kids out there. I'm not convinced that young people, or at least the dynamic between young people and adult people, is so radically different from how it's always been. And children of different ages tend to have very different general behaviors. Babies, toddlers, school-age children, "tweens," middle schoolers, high schoolers-- there are some vast differences between those groups, although all might be qualified as kids, and within each group you will find some very well-behaved individuals, others that are exceptionally unpleasant, and most will fall somewhere in between.

To be clear, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone who doesn't like kids, certainly they're entitled to their feelings and opinions. I'm eager to understand where those feelings and opinions come from, especially targeted towards such a broad sampling of people.

True dat.

As every generation ages, it develops a sort of "the kids are not all right" mentality about the generations that come after it. It's been this way, presumably, for as long as humans have been around. Society is constantly changing, and humans constantly seek regularity. When society begins to change faster and faster, say, with the introduction of new technology, it only exacerbates the mental walls between generations. These walls can, of course, be overcome, but they are definitely present, and at no fault of the younger generations or of the older generations. It's just the way people are.

nannyogg
01-16-2011, 03:34 PM

I'm curious about the time frame, different from when to when? Though, I would definitely agree. I turned 3 in 1970 and my first kid turned 3 in 2001: my kids are definitely growing up in a culture that bears only scant resemblance to the one I grew up in. It really irks me how so many parents are afraid to give their kids responsibility and accountability. I have had parents tell me they are afraid to tell their kids no because they don't want to upset them. Ugh. Kids need parents, not another buddy!! I am so glad it's illegal to whack your kid with the belt like my generation got, but there are plenty of logical consequences that get the point across even better. Like today I discovered my nearly 9 year old daughter cut up the window blinds in her room "because I wanted to see out." She has a choice, she can either have that for her birthday present, or she can do chores for me, to pay off the cost of the new one (about $50... and at my house, kids work for $2 an hour...).

Personally, I love kids. Even the little rotten ones who are immensely hard to like most days. Like someone already said; they are full of potential, and sometimes, adults who care enough to speak up and help them grow can make a world of difference. I am real with kids; if I don't like what they're doing or I think they're being brainless, I'll say so (though, in a way that's more authoritative or playful than authoritarian). Kids will generally respect you more if you are real with them.

I guess I get afraid sometimes that no one will invest in getting the younger generations to have accountability and to help them develop critical thinking skills. Takes a village, and that village seems to get more and more fractured with each generation that goes on. I totally respect people who choose not to have children because it is a HUGE responsibility that just isn't everyone's cup of tea. But that doesn't mean we can't play a role in guiding the kids who are here, even if that just means telling the 4 year old from down the block that he needs to give you the butcher knives he's playing with so you can give them back to his mom (YES, that DID happen!!). It isn't the kids' fault they have no guidance. We might only be able to say, "Um, do you really think that's wise?" when they're doing something dumb, but it might be more direction than they get anywhere else.

nannyogg
01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
When I was a child, I was afraid of geese. XD My aunt had a this gigantic goose that always flared up and hissed at you when you walked by it.

That's a really rational fear!!! My friend has a pet goose on her farm, and it will walk up behind you and bite you on the ass. Being goosed by a goose is NOT fun!!! I carry a BIG stick if I have to go out in the yard for anything when I'm there!!

Yukikittie
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Sorry that my generation is filled with idiots. :c

cupofjasmine
01-16-2011, 04:38 PM
As a child I was absolutely terrified of the movie The Dark Crystal. I haven't seen the movie since I was 5 and I'm almost 20. There's just something about the texture and the way the characters are made that send shivers up my spine.

As an adult, I fear not going anywhere in life. I have so much that I would love to do, but I'm scared that I'll never be able to reach them.

ShinobiXikyu
01-16-2011, 04:59 PM
back on topic v v

Same here with kids. I guess yo ucould just count me as completely tokophobic. There's not a thing I like about anything to do with them, and I'm not having them. I'll be more than fine with pets. And I've also been the same since I was a kid myself.

And lol, yeah, as said before, being afraid of geese is perfectly rational. They're so mean, hissy and smelly. X_X Not fun at all. Hell, those Chinese geese are the worst.

Ritsu H Saotome
01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
As a child, trying new things. As an adult, being murdered for being me.

squ33k t0y
01-16-2011, 05:37 PM
The scene at the near end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade used to really scare me when I was little. When the guy drank from the wrong cup and withered to dust. >.o; Oh my.

Also, the scene at the end of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? where Christopher Lloyd's character is run over by the cement roller, gets back up and walks around, and then finally melts. o___o; Yup.

But yeah. I also went through a period of time where tunnels made me really anxious. xP

A.F.S. 1984
01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry that my generation is filled with idiots. :c

Come on now... All generations have a wide spectrum of people. The aspects I hate (maybe too strong a word) have to do with the way they are raised. I believe everyone is a blank slate and society molds the kid to become a productive adult. The trend towards criminalizing parent administered corporal punishment takes a huge tool of effective parenting out of the equation. Despite many psychologists views that effective discipline can be achieved via "jedi mind games" NOTHING can replace force- the supreme motivator in my experience.

As for myself I am a product of the 80's. When force was still the best and most used tool in the parental toolbox for making adjustments to behavior.

More towards the topic of fear (hopefully I didnt tick the mod off too much with the tangent) I am terrified of interacting with large groups of people. When I try I ussually get lightheaded and decide to leave the environment.

A.F.S. 1984
01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
As a child, trying new things. As an adult, being murdered for being me.

I guess it is have good news then... (If you live in the United States)

You have more of a chance of getting struck by lightening than you do getting murdered.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I accidentally left off the by a stranger part... So I guess dont anger anyone you know.

AlmostHolly
01-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Frickin' arachnids. O_O

Lady-ofthe-Mist
01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
When the "Jeepers Creepers 2" trailer was running in theaters, I was five or six, and I saw it. I slept with the lights on for at least two weeks. -facepalm- Now scarecrows, manikins, and all other people-shaped inanimate objects freak me out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj1rwFz_ffY --The trailer.

☆ Kei ☆
01-16-2011, 09:08 PM
As A Kid:
-Dinosaurs. When I was a little over a year old, my dad and his brother took me to go see Jurassic Park at a drive-in movie theater. Cue eight years of dinosaur-infused nightmares, and the drowning of dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets in my water glass.
-Dark. I was convinced that vampires and werewolves would jump out and attack me. I think it spawned from all the supernatural movies my mom watched.
-Creepy Crawlies. I never liked them. Something about they way they look and move would make me panic. Doesn't help that while my mom never let me watch The Mummy, I remember walking in to get something and watching the beetles eat one of the guys alive.
-Aliens. I place full blame on the part in Independence Day where the autopsy of the alien goes horribly wrong.

As An Almost-Adult:
-Letting my parents/family down
-Never accomplishing anything
-Losing everyone I love
-Kids. Babies and toddlers scare me to death. When they're older, they're more okay, but I'm terrified that if I ever have kids that I'll mess up raising them.
-Death

And that's just off the top of my head~ I'm just chock-full of fears. >_<

CosplayCinema
01-16-2011, 09:19 PM
lets see, ghosts, the dark, the sound of the toilet flushing at night cause its so loud, heights, spiders and Proud Asian kid's face(His mom is pretty scary lookin too XD)

Aearon
01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
<.< It sounds like some of the people in here could use some therapy sessions. >.>

CosplayCinema
01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
<.< It sounds like some of the people in here could use some therapy sessions. >.>

......we didn't come in here to be judged :/

Mental_Army
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Right! Time to bring out the laundry list(in semi-chronological order): Darkness, Roaches, Riding airplanes, Ghosts, Being attacked in elementary school, parents divorcing, Dying, getting lost, parents disapproval, and more stuff I forgot (i got better)

crayonattack
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Being chased. Like...it horrifies me. I panic. Once I was in my boyfriend of the times back yard, and we were sitting on something but I got up to chase a firefly, and somehow that turned into him chasing me to bring me back, and at first I was alright with it and then all of a sudden I just freaked out and plopped onto the ground. It terrifies me, I don't even know why! I just sorta shut down.

Also, I was really young when I watched the movie The Shining for the first time, the newer one, not with Jack Nicholson. Theres this one scene in that movie where the boy goes into one of the bathrooms and theres that rotting green corpse of a woman behind the curtain of the bathtub and she comes alive and its really freaky cause she sings to him and chases him. I've scene that movie maybe once since then, and not even that scene I don't think, but having the curtain of my shower closed still freaks me out. It used to be if I'd go in the bathroom and the curtain was closed, I'd have to spend a few minutes psyching myself up to run in and throw it open. I've come a ways since then, but it still needs to be open, and it still sorta freaks me out. XD

Origin
01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh I forgot some two things. Both of which have carried through childhood to adulthood.

~Claustrophobia
~I'm... TERRIFIED of clowns.

penny_dreadful
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Also, I was really young when I watched the movie The Shining for the first time, the newer one, not with Jack Nicholson.

The Shining

the newer one

not with Jack Nicholson

WAT.

I now have a very real and justified fear that such a thing actually exists.

Flora88
01-16-2011, 11:22 PM
WAT.

I now have a very real and justified fear that such a thing actually exists.

It was the one Stephen King directed. Stephen King is many things, but a good director isn't one of them.

Pudding-chan
01-17-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm scared of the typical junk (ghosts, snakes... clowns egad!). But I'm really terrified of the deterioration of the environment. ...and the vampire under my bed. His name is Carlos

Buckshot Billie
01-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Steel wool: it's terrifying.

Also waves of any size. I've been known to panic in swimming pools.

Kell-chan
01-17-2011, 03:22 AM
Hum. Well.

I'm mildly claustrophobic, but it's only really an issue when it comes to water - as in drowning, as in there is no way in hell I will ever attempt to scuba dive, I can already feel the water crushing me.

And heights. It's a bit boring for a greatest fear, but there is it. It's not so much the impending doom; rather, I hate the idea that I might have a few seconds to really contemplate what will happen when I hit the ground.

One of my best friends is terrified by bridges of any kind, which I never felt myself. Odd considering it sort of combines both my main fears. *shrug*

The Desert Rose
01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Arggh Silence is the only fear that really gets to me. Every time i tell one of my friends that everyone in that room will refrain from talking just to mess with me.

DaemonForce
01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Steel wool: it's terrifying.
I <3 steel wool. Great stuff.

I don't know. There's a very large gap in my memory from when I was a child. My first memories are still there but the fear and anxiety aren't. I was raised in a house blessed with nameless guardian spirits and a few of my neighbors were murdered before I was 7 years old. Oddly enough I never really thought anything of it. I remember being scared of hornets, large dogs and the strange guy that would watch me from his car across the street. College kids didn't really bother me but then again I didn't care what would happen to me. When I moved to an environment full of poison and death, that didn't bother me either.

Betrayal finally stirred my emotions. These days I have very strong rational fears of my prized machines falling apart when I really need them, stupid girls that take advantage of me in a bad situation and temporary death. I also have a strange irrational fear of cosplayers in full body anime suits.

ShinobiXikyu
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
oooh, got another one; scorpions. They are FUCKING GROSS. It didn't help that when I was a kid, my neighbour's kid had one, and he'd often bring it outside in a little terrarium and freak me out by showing it to me...or taking it out and showing it to me. X_X

YaoiLover13
01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Either dieing.. Or being barried alive.., Im just scared of a never ending life thats all like after death. No rest or peace just life..What if you finish every thing to fast it just never ends.. Gahh things that never end scare me like ALOT.

Pocketfightr
01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
As a kid I feared escalators. For some reason I thought if my feet got near that small opening the stairs go down into, that I would get pulled under.

Also a fear of going places alone. This one I blame on the trip back to America from Germany. My parents told me to go ahead back to our room from this kitchen area that was on a different floor from our room. I forgot we were on a different floor and ended up in someone else's room. For some reason, it haunted me for quite a while... I still don't like going places alone and will drag my feet in doing so, but I'm a lot better than I used to be.

I think I've finally gotten over my fear of being in overly horrific accidents. I used to get images in my head of nasty ways I could die. They were always something crazy like you might see in a Final Destination movie... weird thing was I didn't see those movies until I'd already been having those images.

As an adult, I have a bit of a fear of never finding the guy to spend my days with. (I took a huge self-esteem dump after my fiancee had dumped me when he remembered he didn't believe in marriage. -_-) Maybe I'll end up as a crazy lizard lady (already have 2 pet lizards).

I think I also have a bit of a fear of getting old and... feeble, I guess? Not quite the term I want but basically getting any diseases or just general lack of being able to function independently/normally. (Having to wear a diaper, inability to see very well, memory loss, that sort of thing.)

penny_dreadful
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
As a kid I feared escalators. For some reason I thought if my feet got near that small opening the stairs go down into, that I would get pulled under.

Augh, I was afraid of escalators, too! YOU'VE BROUGHT IT ALL BACK.

I think I also have a bit of a fear of getting old and... feeble, I guess? Not quite the term I want but basically getting any diseases or just general lack of being able to function independently/normally. (Having to wear a diaper, inability to see very well, memory loss, that sort of thing.)

A little bit personal, but I know what it's like to have to care for an elderly relative who's no longer independent, and it is heartbreaking for everyone involved. A lot of it is so upsetting, I'm still not really able to talk about it even though it's years later. It's something I worry about, too, since stroke runs in my family; I'm terrified that one day I won't be able to care for myself and my children will have to decide whether they can accept the tremendous burden of caring for an invalid parent or the equally tremendous burden of placing me in an elder care facility. There's just no easy way.

Yukikittie
01-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Well that is incredibly rude. :|

Lithium Flower
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
When I was but the tender age of 6 my sister thought it was a good idea to show me the movie 'IT' based on the novel by Stephen King. I am sure many of you know where this is going already. It took my mother many weeks of bribery and encouragement before I could take a bath without her close by because I was so horrifically convinced Pennywise the clown was WAITING. Watching. Sniffing me out.

When it rained, I would never set foot outside without my mother there. I would jump off the curb to avoid stepping over an open drain. One time we where at a restaurant that gave children balloons after the meal and as I saw the woman coming at me with the ever colorful bouncing monstrosity I slowly began to lose my mind.Luckily my mother intervened and stopped the confused waitress, calmly explaining I was scared of balloons. Yes. 'It' made me fear even balloons.

The fear of large 'full-body' style costumes also grew within my little body and would spread like wild-fire into my adult life. Even Disneyland mascots scared me, a man dressed in a snowman suit, a life-size figure of a super hero outside a gift shop, anything that covered someone entirely brought me great fear.

But the worst was the fact my uncle and grandfather both where part of a group of performers in their small home-town, a group of performers who would participate in parades for a childrens hospital and other such charity events. A group of performers who all dressed as clowns, some even had names of their grease-paint selves and where quite 'famous' within their clowning circuit. It was my birthday and I had WATCHED them put the clown makeup on. Sat right there and giggled and laughed as my uncle and grandfather tried their hardest to ease me out of my fear. All was well! I was ok. I was at the head of my birthday table later in the day when they came out to entertain my guests....I screamed and hid under the table. Even after I'd SEEN them putting the makeup on myself it didn't matter. They where not my family anymore. They where monsters. Horrific demons from another world.

My aunt had made me a large, small-child sized clown plush doll at one point in my childhood, my mother never told me and had hid it in a closet for months. It was quite a well made toy and I imagine any child who was not mentally scarred for life would have all but adored such a lovely present, it was however my luck to one day be searching for my shoes...open the closet door and come face to face with the clown doll. Just sitting in my closet. Watching me with his empty eyes.

To this day, even at conventions, some cosplays scare me and make me uneasy. Aside from the obvious clown costumes, kigurumi absolutely horrify me. I will not walk over the drains on the side of streets.

Yet somehow characters like The Joker and Harley Quinn do not count as 'clowns' to me O__o' My mother has a good laugh over my Harley cosplay really, considering she spent most of my childhood reassuring me clowns would not eat me in my sleep.

Flora88
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM

RUDE.

Arieru
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Insects and spiders. I hate them. Since I was little they just creep me out for some reason.

Pocketfightr
01-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Augh, I was afraid of escalators, too! YOU'VE BROUGHT IT ALL BACK.

A little bit personal, but I know what it's like to have to care for an elderly relative who's no longer independent, and it is heartbreaking for everyone involved. A lot of it is so upsetting, I'm still not really able to talk about it even though it's years later. It's something I worry about, too, since stroke runs in my family; I'm terrified that one day I won't be able to care for myself and my children will have to decide whether they can accept the tremendous burden of caring for an invalid parent or the equally tremendous burden of placing me in an elder care facility. There's just no easy way.

Escalators-Misery loves company! At least I'm not the only one. I still feel, to this day, that I don't step off escalators naturally, since I rarely time my stepping off correctly.

You have my respect for caring for your elderly relative. Since my grandparents all live far away, we only got secondhand information on everything they went through (grandfather just passed away in Dec) but just the thought of being the caretaker or the one being taken care of, is heartbreaking to me. I hate to see people (and animals) suffer. I also wouldn't feel like I was really me, anymore, if I was stuck to a machine or something.

Jia Jem
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Hush now! My first post was just a lead-in for my sales pitch! See I've been reading these Dr. Phil books. I was going to open up shop and offer everyone who's posted a discount on a first therapy session... BUT NOW YOU'VE RUINED IT.

msaliciak
01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
There is a good chance that this will make me sound like I'm crazy, but I'm afraid of water when it's brought to a rolling boil. I won't make anything that requires me to bring the water to that temperature. I always think it's going to spray on me or something. So... Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. That's my most obnoxious fear.

I also hate heights. A lot. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm barely 5'1".

nannyogg
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Hush now! My first post was just a lead-in for my sales pitch! See I've been reading these Dr. Phil books. I was going to open up shop and offer everyone who's posted a discount on a first therapy session... BUT NOW YOU'VE RUINED IT.

Awwww, damn. You mean now I can't get a session of cosplay therapy with Dr. Jia Jem for 300 easy payments of $9.95 like on the infomercial?

FunnyValentine
01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
When I was but the tender age of 6 my sister thought it was a good idea to show me the movie 'IT' based on the novel by Stephen King. I am sure many of you know where this is going already.

Oh man, I already knew where that one was going. So many of my friends saw that at the same age and literaly did the same things as you.

Jia Jem
01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
~I'm... TERRIFIED of clowns.

I honestly can't believe this thread got through 5 pages before someone mentioned clowns.

Awwww, damn. You mean now I can't get a session of cosplay therapy with Dr. Jia Jem for 300 easy payments of $9.95 like on the infomercial?

Well that was my plan to get past my fear of my parents wanting me to become a successful doctor...

DaemonForce
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
When I was but the tender age of 6 my sister thought it was a good idea to show me the movie 'IT'
GRAH! This. I mean IT. >.<'

Friday the 13th? Fine by me...Stupid teens. Terminator? BALEETED! It? **** you running! That gave me more nightmares than when mom finally washed my stuffed pig. I still haven't gotten her back for this one. >.<'

Origin
01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I honestly can't believe this thread got through 5 pages before someone mentioned clowns.

I'm quite surprised too =3 Makes me feel special.

Suppose since we've had some unique ones on here I should share my WORST fear.
Thunder.
I hate it.
I LOVE watching lightning, I'll spend whole nights watching it, but thunder makes my blood run cold. I pretty much can't function when I hear it, I don't know why =/

Ineedaname9
01-17-2011, 11:38 PM
uh...I fear spiders, along with other bugs but spiders are the worse. Daddy long legs are coll but others scare me, even the smile-ly one on trucks here. Gah, I would link it but those things are like EWWW!!! T_T T_T T_T Go google it yourself T_T (I'm pretty sure they are native to Hawaii, so I don't think anyone knows what I'm refering too)

Other fears... abandonment and being shoved into a oven. Abandonment comes from being abandoned by my parents when I was younger, they eventually came back for me but it's one of those things you can't just say 'oups' and forget about it.

I have no clue where the fear of being shoved into an oven comes from. T_T It does keep me from using the oven though. I've tried and I endup panicing and running away...

ShinobiXikyu
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm the same with ovens...not afraid of being shoved in, but terrified of burning myself on it or falling onto the hot door. It really puts a damper on what I can cook, but I am wayyyyy to nervous to get near a hot oven.

xMookie
01-18-2011, 12:16 AM
As a child I was scared of heights and drowning. When I was little my cousin tossed me in a pool and told me to swim and I almost drowned. I was scared of heights for awhile due to that the fact that When I was repairing the shingles on the roof i almost fell off. As an adult/teen I'm not really scared of anything I love swimming now and heights are like my favorite thing in the world I like being up in high places since I can see almost everything its a relaxing feeling.

illusion838
01-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I have a fear of blood. I just start shaking uncontrollably and my skin burns, worst case I black out.

supergeekgirl
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I have an incredible fear of flying right now. I have Generalized Anxiety, and I had a panic attack on a plane a few years ago, so now they're a trigger. Eventually, it will get solved, but until then, I can't fly. I've at least gotten to the point that I can see the interior of a plane in a movie without being scared. Geez, that's an embarrassing fear.

I'm also afraid of being crushed to death more than any other way of dying. I'm always scared that something will fall on me or that I'll be in an accident. Why is this? I don't know.

sam vimes
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a fear of being accused of rape or sexual assault.

Everyone assumes that the accused did it at first.

DaemonForce
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a fear of being excused of rape or sexual assault.
This seems a little strange to me.

sam vimes
01-18-2011, 02:18 PM
This seems a little strange to me.

My bad. I meant "accused."

DaemonForce
01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
My bad. I meant "accused."
Ah, much better. I have a mild fear of being raped by large women.

That is exactly what doesn't make me a man. A male does not have a fear of rape. Really, ask your friends. I doubt any of them will have this issue.

Lithium Flower
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
GRAH! This. I mean IT. >.<'

Friday the 13th? Fine by me...Stupid teens. Terminator? BALEETED! It? **** you running! That gave me more nightmares than when mom finally washed my stuffed pig. I still haven't gotten her back for this one. >.<'

Oh man, I already knew where that one was going. So many of my friends saw that at the same age and literaly did the same things as you.

If the last two people on Earth are me and Tim Curry (http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&q=tim+curry+pennywise&revid=682906115&sa=X&ei=kvg1TYrOGYa0lQfT-eWHCg&ved=0CDYQ1QIoBA&biw=1280&bih=685), and I have the entire world to be somewhere else far away from him. I would have to kill him to feel safe. That's just how it is. I cannot live in a world where I know it's just the two of us.

sam vimes
01-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Ah, much better. I have a mild fear of being raped by large women.

That is exactly what doesn't make me a man. A male does not have a fear of rape. Really, ask your friends. I doubt any of them will have this issue.

I don't consider myself beholden to the beliefs and insecurities of my friends, or indeed men as a whole, but I know what you mean. Given the fact that in the entertainment industry a man being raped is viewed as comic, this is not surprising. The...bias isn't quite the word I'm looking for, but I'm tired so I'm going to go with it...the bias is that a real man fucks, he doesn't get fucked. Come to think of it, there's a huge anti-homosexual undercurrent with that school of thought as well.

Before I ramble on even more, I'll just say that I'm not afraid of being raped, but I'm sure that if the threat came up I would learn to be afraid damn fast.

Flora88
01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a fear of being accused of rape or sexual assault.

Everyone assumes that the accused did it at first.

Actually, you'd be surprised. The media likes to pull the good old, "Everyone believes the woman when she's actually lying" stuff, when, really, it's really more the opposite these days. Usually, it's incredibly hard to convince a jury that the sex was not consensual, especially if there was alcohol involved in any way (3/4 of rape cases involve alcohol) or if she was wearing revealing clothing (several rape cases were actually thrown out because it was believed that skinny jeans were "too tight to get off without the help of the one wearing them." Like they're some kind of chastity belt or some shit.) Or if the accuser knew the accused, as is pretty much the norm.

Victim-blaming (bias against the accuser) is a huuuuuge problem. It's also one of the reasons that most rapes go unreported.

A girl at my school was raped recently. The police actually said to her, "You know you're ruining his life, right?" Insinuating that she was making it all up. (She wasn't. Some of his friends eventually came forward as witnesses.)

Another girl at my school was raped recently and, while her rapist spent a night in jail, then moved back into the same dorm, SHE was "offered the opportunity to relocate." Essentially, she was raped, then she was kicked out of her dormitory.

I say all this to say...I don't think you have to worry too much, sam.

doxiequeen1
01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
A girl at my school was raped recently. The police actually said to her, "You know you're ruining his life, right?" Insinuating that she was making it all up. (She wasn't. Some of his friends eventually came forward as witnesses.)

Another girl at my school was raped recently and, while her rapist spent a night in jail, then moved back into the same dorm, SHE was "offered the opportunity to relocate." Essentially, she was raped, then she was kicked out of her dormitory.

Your school sounds..lovely....

Flora88
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Your school sounds..lovely....

My school is actually one of the safest schools in the US. It's certainly not just my school.

It's far worse nearly EVERYWHERE else.

It happened at Harvard.
It happened (multiple times) at Duke.
Far worse has happened at Yale.
And that's just the hoity-toity group. Think of state universities...

The most recent news-maker was Notre Dame, if I remember correctly.

But you don't hear about this sort of thing. Colleges are very good at keeping this stuff out of the news. Hell, the only reason you're hearing MY rant is because I'm telling you.

But yeah, before you go to college, make sure your safety knowledge is up to par.

penny_dreadful
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm with you, Flora88. It's typically much harder for a rape accuser to be taken seriously than for a man falsely accused of rape to clear his name. And, since I'm married to Sam and constantly assault him with my feminist diatribes so he should already know that, I'm reasonably certain he'll never be accused of a sex crime, falsely or otherwise.

Flora88
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm with you, Flora88. It's typically much harder for a rape accuser to be taken seriously than for a man falsely accused of rape to clear his name. And, since I'm married to Sam and constantly assault him with my feminist diatribes so he should already know that, I'm reasonably certain he'll never be accused of a sex crime, falsely or otherwise.

Lol. You go, girl. I'm sure he's safe. He doesn't seem like the type to get into a situation that could lead to any sort of accusal.

You guys are adorable, btw.

sam vimes
01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Lol. You go, girl. I'm sure he's safe. He doesn't seem like the type to get into a situation that could lead to any sort of accusal.

You guys are adorable, btw.

Adorable we may be, but if hear the word "privilege" one more time, I shall vomit tears of rage.

Flora88
01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, hey. There's at least two people in the world who are willing to bet that you won't be accused of a sex crime. High...five?

penny_dreadful
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Adorable we may be, but if hear the word "privilege" one more time, I shall vomit tears of rage.

Oh, oh, oh-- your privilege is showing. Statements like that just demonstrate how privileged you are. Why don't you accept your privilege as a white, cis-, heterosexual male and stop privileging up the place with all your privileges?

Kildread
01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Higher education can be fairly dangerous to women, especially if they live in dorms or the nearby residences.

It didn't seem that bad when I was in the dorms on an all-guys floor (Except for all the jackasses, but that's not the issue). When I moved from the dorms to a nearby residence, I ended up living in one of those houses renovated with a common kitchen and 4 separate bedrooms. The place was share between me and 3 women.

It happened once every week that a group of dudes, beer in hand, would knock or ring the doorbell, huddling in the doorway and asking if the girls wanted to party with them --- eventually it became an habit for me to answer and turn them away. It was fairly obvious when they rang that they expected a girl to answer and be able to pressure them into accepting.

They once spotted footprints all around a window to one of the bedrooms.

One time when I was alone in the place with the lights off everywhere but my bedroom, I caught a guy trying to enter via the patio door (It was locked and I quickly popped my face in the window and he fled).

This world isn't very safe, and a lot of morally-lacking people are out there, poluting the schoolgrounds. That it happens in schools does not surprise me in the least following that experience.

DaemonForce
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
How incredibly creepy. -_-'

I live in a small town that has a huge community college and several of those small nearby residences you speak of. It's common that there are a few party kids that cause trouble every now and then but they don't usually last too long in this environment. Only problem is it isn't always strange guys that are causing trouble.

Odile
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
It happened once every week that a group of dudes, beer in hand, would knock or ring the doorbell, huddling in the doorway and asking if the girls wanted to party with them --- eventually it became an habit for me to answer and turn them away. It was fairly obvious when they rang that they expected a girl to answer and be able to pressure them into accepting.

One time when I was alone in the place with the lights off everywhere but my bedroom, I caught a guy trying to enter via the patio door (It was locked and I quickly popped my face in the window and he fled).

:eek: That is completely terrifying that it would happen around school/uni. And I'm well aware of the dangers of creeps lurking in the night. Was the dorm security so lacking that there wasn't anyone to notify or just maintain the peace?

Okay, this is a tad embarrassing, but I am absolutely, irrationally terrified of the Aliens that H.R. Giger designed for the Alien films. Doesn't matter that they also fascinate me somehow, and I know they aren't real, if I watch any of the movies then I'm freaking out by bedtime. They are usually the stars of my worst nightmares too.

As a kid it was this one sloped path at my local zoo by the rock wallaby (which I called wobbalies) exhibit. Just that one steep path, I even used to have nightmares about it. Then there were brown snakes, I found a dead baby one in our yard and that completely shattered my childish belief that one of Australia's deadliest snakes only lived in the country. :P

Aearon
01-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Well, sorry for being a jerk.
Hmmm... I was thinking. Perhaps it should be me in therapy. lol I mean, it 'is' kind of natural to have fears of something, right? O.oa

Also, perhaps a good way to overcome some of your fears would be to face them head on. I know when I was little and afraid of heights, my dad made me climb higher and higher when I would help him with his masonry work and we'd have to use scaffolding. =)

sailortintin
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
As a child, the dark and heights

Now, the dark still and somewhat heights.

I don't know why but for some reason, I'm terrified of the dark. I've been like this every since I was a child. My grandparents told me that I'd grow out of it and here I am years later and no. It gets worse when I here something bump in the night and I'll admit, I'll plug in a night light ever once in a while.

nannyogg
01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm quite surprised too =3 Makes me feel special.

Suppose since we've had some unique ones on here I should share my WORST fear.
Thunder.
I hate it.
I LOVE watching lightning, I'll spend whole nights watching it, but thunder makes my blood run cold. I pretty much can't function when I hear it, I don't know why =/

LOL, this reminds me of when my daughter was 8 and had a slumber party and I had eleven 8 year old girls spending the night in my living room... somewhere around 4 am, a HUGE house-shaking thunderstorm came through and I heard shreiking and screaming and "call my moooooommmmmmmyyyyyy!!!!" and eleven 8 year old girls trampling up the stairs and puppy piling on top of me and my queen sized bed. I was NOT calling anyobody's mommy at 4 am, so I had them all group hug and they fell asleep pretty quickly... then I realized I couldn't move or breathe, and I certainly wasn't going to fall asleep that way... so I extricated myself and went downstairs and slept on the couch. The next day when the moms came to pick up their kids, several of them said, "Wow, I can't believe they didn't have you call me when that storm rolled through!" LOL. Now I have an aversion to little girl slumber parties...

ShinobiXikyu
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Lol, reminds me of when I was a kid and would have friends over. When I was 8-12, I lived in the country, at the end of a remote dirt road that dropped off into at least 20k of unbroken woods and swampland. SO, we had a wolf pack living near the house. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, would listen to them howling at night, watch them with binoculars at sunrise and in winter, and gush excitedly to everyone about it. (oh, and we had coyotes too. Not as cool as wolves, though.)
....when my suburbanite friends came over and heard them howl at night? "OHMYGOD WOLVES WOLVES WOLVES CALL MOMMY AND GET THE GUN WE'RE GONNA GET EATEN ALIVE!!!!"
....and my calm explanation of "They NEVER come up to the house, and the howls are coming from over a kilometer away. Shut up and go to sleep."

nannyogg
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
....when my suburbanite friends came over and heard them howl? "OHMYGOD WOLVES WOLVES WOLVES CALLMOMMY WE'RE GONNA GET EATEN ALIVE!!!!"
....and my calm explanation of "They NEVER come up to the house, and the howls are coming from over a kilometer away. Shut up and go to sleep."

LOL. I was teaching elementary school at a private school in Los Angeles (a loooong time ago) and at the end of the year, we had a pool party at one of the teachers' homes in the hills. A lizard ran across the deck and all the kids took off after it until a 5th grader shouted, "Don't touch it! It might have rabies!" and all the kids shrieked in terror. Argh! City kids!

UsakoLuna
01-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Spiders. I have nightmares about hundreds of them coming after me. I saw "arachnophobia" and didn't sleep for a month!
I also sleep with a night light, but I have terrible night vision. So that's partially to keep the dark away and part to make sure I don't fall down the stairs.

Also, the people with the pig noses from the twilight zone episode "eye of the beholder". they freaked me out when I was seven, and are no less terrifing at 22.

ShinobiXikyu
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
yeah, my grievances. X_X I grew up in literally the middle of nowhere most of my childhood, then get thunked into the inner city. I did NOT fit in, specially with my views and experience with wildlife. I wasn't afraid of spiders (well, then...), foxes, wolves, coyotes, raccoons, any kind of birds, house mice, deer, or pretty much any wild animal except bears. XD Our annual nature trip usually resulted in everyone but me cowering in fear at the sight of a groundhog or fox, or the ONE time there was a campout, everybody crying hysterically that they had to sleep under the stars. Or complaining that they were getting their designer jeans muddy...

penny_dreadful
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I was afraid of spiders until I woke up one night and there was a spider sitting on my arm, having just bitten me. I still hate things crawling on me-- HATE HATE HATE-- but spiders themselves aren't as terrifying now, oddly enough. Poisonous spiders do scare me, though. If I ever have the misfortune to see a brown recluse crawling around, I will be run like no one on earth has ever run before.

On the Country Mouse vs. City Mouse topic, it always made me laugh that I would be uncomfortable going into the neighborhoods of coworkers who lived in some of the roughest, most disreputable areas of Long Island, but if I took them to my neighborhood, they'd be terrified of the winding, wooded roads with no streetlights and how quiet everything was. We'd look at each other and be all, "HOW DO YOU LIVE WHERE YOU LIVE, MAN? IT IS SCARY AS CRAP."

nannyogg
01-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Poisonous spiders do scare me, though. If I ever have the misfortune to see a brown recluse crawling around, I will be run like no one on earth has ever run before.

I am unsettled by the notion of brown recluse. I read an article that a house in Kansas (where I live now) was found to have over 2000 of them living in it. And no one had gotten bitten. So I decided it was pointless to be terrified of them, since I'm not even entirely sure I could tell one apart from some other random sort of house spider. Besides, my cats eat spiders, so that makes me feel a little safer. LOL.

doxiequeen1
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I was afraid of spiders until I woke up one night and there was a spider sitting on my arm, having just bitten me. I still hate things crawling on me-- HATE HATE HATE-- but spiders themselves aren't as terrifying now, oddly enough. Poisonous spiders do scare me, though. If I ever have the misfortune to see a brown recluse crawling around, I will be run like no one on earth has ever run before."

You would've hated my house in AZ, we had a tortoise sanctuary in our backyard (don't ask) If you moved a piece of plywood off the shelter they had you could see the half dozen black widows scatter from it.

We never had a scorpion problem, but ohhh the black widow issues we had.

Yui
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
I kinda thought everyone was afraid of clowns at some point in their lives, so I didn't mention it.

Ghosts, aliens, monsters, mutants = most of them I find incredibly attractive, so I guess I can't be scared. ^_^; Also, knowing that most sensible people are scared of them makes me eager to be more welcoming of them.

Also, I agree with fear of elevators, but usually only if they are glass ones (and thus might get shot through with machine guns) &/or the hyper-speed high-rise ones where you warp 60 floors instantly (and thus might flatten you with super G's) - for some reason, simply the cable breaking and the elevator crashing does not come up in my mind.

...And, I looked up the TMNT episode list to confirm the show I had referred to earlier. #90 is the episode with April turning into a fish in the shower. The cat episode was #17.

Origin
01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
@Nanny-
You make fun of my fear xD No Im kidding. I actually WASNT afraid of it as a child. My best friend and I often sat in trees to watch thunderstorms (Yes... yes I WAS a dumb child.) but for some reason, now I cant take thunder.

@The Rape Debate-
Thank ALL OF YOU for giving me terror about attending college next year. Remind me to carry a handgun and mace at all time. In that order.

doxiequeen1
01-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Okay, I have another one.

Ticks.

We didn't have these in arizona, but they are everywhere in NY. I'm not even scared of getting limes disease, but the thought of them engorging themselves in you and sucking your blood until they swell up to the size of a silver dollar disgusts me more then you can imagine.

They are creepy looking too. And really hard to kill. I got one in the back of my head, I itched my head and my hand came back bloody, turns out I had one the size of a quarter stuck in my head. Hurt like hell ripping it out since it was so big. Disgusting guys. So frickin gross.

So yes I have a fear of ticks. Because they creep me out more then you can imagine.

Origin
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Also @ The Country vs. City Debate-

Since I was raised in the backwood country (where you couldn't walk to your neighbour) and now live rurally (where you can, but they're not right next door) and all my friends are surburbia folk I ALWAYS get the "Oh my GAWD. You live so far out here!! Don't you guys have problems with wolves and deer??!!" Then when they spend the night they freak out everytime they hear a howl or bump (which... I have 3 goats, a donkey and four dogs. Plus our neighbour has two bloodhounds... so noises are quite frequent) they freak out and scream, "Is that a wolf?!! We're going to die!!!"

Because we ALL know that those dang wolves waltz up to your front door, break in and eat you. A fully grown adult. So I tell them they should worry more about the bears. Then they REALLY freak out. And no, I'm NOT being cruel, we really do have bears. I've seen two since my family moved five years ago. Not an astronomical amount, but enough we carry bear spray.

Flora88
01-19-2011, 12:08 AM
@Nanny-
You make fun of my fear xD No Im kidding. I actually WASNT afraid of it as a child. My best friend and I often sat in trees to watch thunderstorms (Yes... yes I WAS a dumb child.) but for some reason, now I cant take thunder.

@The Rape Debate-
Thank ALL OF YOU for giving me terror about attending college next year. Remind me to carry a handgun and mace at all time. In that order.

Just be smart and you shouldn't have a problem.

1. Stay in a group (or at least have a buddy with you at all times.) Don't go to parties alone.
2. Know your limits with alcohol. Be careful with whom you drink.
3. Carry mace.

You'll be fine. :)

ShinobiXikyu
01-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Also @ The Country vs. City Debate-

Since I was raised in the backwood country (where you couldn't walk to your neighbour) and now live rurally (where you can, but they're not right next door) and all my friends are surburbia folk I ALWAYS get the "Oh my GAWD. You live so far out here!! Don't you guys have problems with wolves and deer??!!" Then when they spend the night they freak out everytime they hear a howl or bump (which... I have 3 goats, a donkey and four dogs. Plus our neighbour has two bloodhounds... so noises are quite frequent) they freak out and scream, "Is that a wolf?!! We're going to die!!!"

Because we ALL know that those dang wolves waltz up to your front door, break in and eat you. A fully grown adult. So I tell them they should worry more about the bears. Then they REALLY freak out. And no, I'm NOT being cruel, we really do have bears. I've seen two since my family moved five years ago. Not an astronomical amount, but enough we carry bear spray.

Yeah, I always laugh derisively at suburbanites thinking they know how wildlife works in rural areas or complaining how "Deer are taking over our yards", yet "Don't EVER kill cute, poor, innocent animals, even though we picked tearing their woodlands down for our too-large houses...."
And lol. Bear spray nothing. I was a kid and got to carry a longbow around and both my parents had (never used though, go figure) hunting rifles. X3 (Of course, it helped that I was a HUGE LotR fan at the time....) Though THERE, I'd never seen a bear, just wolves. I only saw my first bear a few years ago where my mom lives now (still the country, but MUCH more settled than where we'd lived earlier. You don't need to put the 4-wheel drive on a truck for two hours to make it through the roads.)

SirLucius
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Let's see as a child.... I really only had incredibly irrational fears. I was afraid of the mole creatures living under my neighbors house that would try and kidnap my cats for dinner. It took a few years for me to realise that it was all a dream. xD I was also afraid of the bar of soap going down the drain whenever I took a bath/shower. I would hold onto that thing for dear life. LOL.

As an adult... eh, more serious problems, lol. I'm germaphobic and haphephobic (fear of touch). But more fun things...to laugh at me about at least: I really don't like spiders (used to love them!) And I'm incredibly socially awkward so if I see anyone I know when I'm out in public I run away. Even if I make eye contact... >.> I'm not too hot on awkward silences so I avoid them altogether. xDD

Yay for sounding like a freak! xD I guess I should say if I see my best friend I won't run. Or family... I'm trying to think of more things I was scared of as a kid. :)

DaemonForce
01-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I was afraid of spiders until I woke up one night and there was a spider sitting on my arm, having just bitten me. I still hate things crawling on me-- HATE HATE HATE-- but spiders themselves aren't as terrifying now, oddly enough. Poisonous spiders do scare me, though. If I ever have the misfortune to see a brown recluse crawling around, I will be run like no one on earth has ever run before.
Stay out of Death Valley. If it isn't a black widow, it's a brown recluse and those things are nasty.

nannyogg
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
@The Rape Debate-

Kathleen Baty (aka "the safety chick") is coming out with a new book for college students this May (see http://safetychick.com); I'd put that on the must read list. Her other book that I read is excellent (A Girl's Gotta Do What a Girl's Gotta Do: http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Gotta-Do-What/dp/1579546390). I'm pretty safety conscious, but I learned some things from that one. And the one I reread every year, that I think every woman should read: The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker (http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440226198). Nothing guarantees safety, but prior planning and awareness can do a lot to reduce risk.

Jia Jem
01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
This is a weird fear that I can't even mentally grasp: Trypophobia (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3318322299). The fear of holes and clusters. (Like lotus pods, honeycombs, etc.)

I didn't even know it existed until a girl in my class freaked out about how I had a bunch of straws rubber-banded together.

penny_dreadful
01-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Stay out of Death Valley. If it isn't a black widow, it's a brown recluse and those things are nasty.

Well, once I spent a long weekend in Arizona, and that was enough to convince me I should never be in a remotely desert-ish area, ever. Took a 15-minute walk outside and you could actually hear my skin sizzling. I am a thoroughly northern girl.

I just finished The Gift of Fear, and it is AWESOME. Definitely a useful book, not just for women. But especially for women. Being a radical feminist, I do believe blame shouldn't be placed on victims even if they DID drink too much, walked alone in the wrong neighborhood, etc. Blame should be placed on people who are rapists, and that's it. But there are definitely ways to help keep yourself out of harm's way.

It's funny; I love horror, I love reading and watching almost anything I can get my hands on. In a sense I really enjoy being scared, although I'm definitely more a fan of the creepy/paranormal/atmospheric horror than the sudden startles, gory, cheap-thrills kind of horror. But when something really rubs me wrong and upsets me too much, I have to rationalize it-- I have to sit there and explain to myself why it didn't make sense, and why it couldn't happen. Once I've thought about it in a logical way, I'm not scared anymore. That's how I got over zombies and vampires.

Of course, that technique only works with things that don't actually exist and couldn't actually exist. Evil clowns are a very real threat.

Lithium Flower
01-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Ironically my sister, mother and I used to regularly go out to Death Valley <3 my sister got married at Convict Lake and now goes out to the desert with her husband fairly frequently.

I am fairly sure my mother and I where the last people who drove through Titus Canyon before it collapsed....there was a husband and wife ahead of us and the woman was having a panic attack she was so freaked out about the narrow drive through the Canyon D: and then a bat chased her 'round the car and she was just not doing so well.

Luckily enough the only things we've run into where roadrunners, lizards, coyotes running through Pahrump, and some deer up at the lake.My sister actually found a roadrunner that was hit by a car and tried to bring it to the animal hospital but it went into shock like RIGHT before they got there and died ;-; She was quite upset because people will feed the animals from their cars and now the coyotes train their pups to come to the road to get food and of course get run over. But we still see douche bags thinking it's cute.

chibi_kitsune
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
What was your greatest fear as a child? Fire

What is your greatest fear as an adult?pretty much the same, fire. And despite wanting to work in the medical field and want to become a nurse, I have a phobia of germs. ._. I'm also kind of scared of people and crowded places, but working on that.

nannyogg
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
This is a weird fear that I can't even mentally grasp: Trypophobia (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3318322299). The fear of holes and clusters. (Like lotus pods, honeycombs, etc.)

I didn't even know it existed until a girl in my class freaked out about how I had a bunch of straws rubber-banded together.

That's an unusual one! I always wondered about the fear of lettuce. Apparently that is a common phobia.

penny_dreadful
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Spend enough time on the Internet and you start realizing there's as many bizarre phobias as there are bizarre fetishes. And there are a lot of those. Like, A LOT.

nannyogg
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Spend enough time on the Internet and you start realizing there's as many bizarre phobias as there are bizarre fetishes. And there are a lot of those. Like, A LOT.

I try not to think about bizarre fetishes. There are a lot of things I just really do.not.want.to.know!!!! Ignorance can be bliss!

sam vimes
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I try not to think about bizarre fetishes. There are a lot of things I just really do.not.want.to.know!!!! Ignorance can be bliss!

Roy Orbison covered in bubble wrap.

penny_dreadful
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Roy Orbison covered in bubble wrap.

Probably also a valid phobia.

ashelia89
01-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Hrmm...as a child ?

I used to be afraid of not having someone to love and be close to, every valentines day I'd feel like it was a horrible reminder of how lonely I was and how all these little dousche bags had a little crush giving them flowers and whatnot...I always got the "I pity you" flowers from my teachers...

and now ?

I have a fear of losing the one I love,I'm married and happy but I get scared when big changes happen-like when I had to leave my school to move with my family to the states-,my husband and I will be leaving the military to join the civilian life,all of our time together has been through the Army and once its out of the way everything will change...and THAT...scares me a lot...I've been reading many self help books though...I hate to be one of those people who conforms to being afraid and not do anything about it...

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Balloons popping. It's an irrational fear, yes, but I hate the sound. It makes me freak out.
Even just hearing someone make the balloon squeak... *shudders*
I'll never forget my History Teacher in 10th grade's 30th birthday. He let the other kids pop all SIXTY of the balloons they filled his room with and I cried in front of everyone.
Not cool.

Ita
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
When I was a kid, I was scared shitless of the dark. I could simply not sleep in a room without the lamp lit, or I would lie there whimpering until someone heard me and came in to ask what was wrong.

Now, I'm scared shitless of hospitals and doctors overall. Dentists top the list too.
But hospitals... I once visited a friend of mine, who was in the hospital. They had to get me out of there because I was making the other patients uneasy while I waited. I swear, I thought I was almost hysteric, ha ha. I'm a bit ashamed over that part.
My fear doesn't really improve when I'm a bit of a hypochondriac.

glitter bomb
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I fear that one day science will cross-breed mice and spiders to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
(points to anyone who recognizes the reference)

seriously though, scientists mucking with cross-species DNA and reviving extinct species (wooly mammoth much?) totally freaks me out. I don't trust them and deep down I fear they're going to end up reviving some virus that wiped out all life the first time around, or creating some new horrifying life form that is immune to all our current methods, the end result being something that either eradicates us all or mutates us horribly.

why do we need glow in the dark kittens? why do we need plants that can smell us?

I keep thinking "DIDN'T YOU WATCH 28 DAYS LATER?? DIDN'T YOU SEE JURASSIC PARK?? DIDN'T YOU SEE THE FLY???... IT... NEVER... ENDS... WELL!!!"

Aearon
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Awww... I think it'd be awesome to have Woolly Mammoths again. :D Sure, species go extinct for a reason and there's that whole "playing God" bit if you believe in that... But, I say go for it. ^.^

DaemonForce
01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
seriously though, scientists mucking with cross-species DNA and reviving extinct species (wooly mammoth much?) totally freaks me out.
I can feel it. Obesity is about to return. The last time we tampered with God's divine plan we created the perfect food group: Bacon Turtles. I wonder if mammoth is any good...

Axelai
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I had and still do have Eisoptrophobia. Fear or mirrors.

Don't read books about murders coming out of mirrors. When you're in 4th grade. x___x

Akemi Idane
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
-words-
It's funny; I love horror, I love reading and watching almost anything I can get my hands on. In a sense I really enjoy being scared, although I'm definitely more a fan of the creepy/paranormal/atmospheric horror than the sudden startles, gory, cheap-thrills kind of horror.
-more words-
Go watch Marble Hornets. Right now, if you haven't already. It would be right up your alley. Youtube.com, look up Marble Hornets. Start with the intro, and don't stop, ep 33 just came out last night.

As for my fears?
Drugs being forced on me. I opened that youtube link before I found out what it as about and closed the crap out of it when I did. I've never even seen that movie. Just heard too many stories about people on acid chopping their own arms off and whatnot.
Self-harm. Specifically slitting my wrists - I'm convinced I'll bleed out, especially since my veins are so big and so close to the surface. I'm getting uneasy just typing this, actually.
And, as a combination of the two, IV's. Shit being pumped into me through my wrist. *shudder*

penny_dreadful
01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Balloons popping. It's an irrational fear, yes, but I hate the sound. It makes me freak out.
Even just hearing someone make the balloon squeak... *shudders*
I'll never forget my History Teacher in 10th grade's 30th birthday. He let the other kids pop all SIXTY of the balloons they filled his room with and I cried in front of everyone.
Not cool.

Also a legitimate fetish. The balloon thing, I mean. Not the crying in front of the whole class. Although that's probably one, too.

penny_dreadful
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Go watch Marble Hornets. Right now, if you haven't already. It would be right up your alley. Youtube.com, look up Marble Hornets. Start with the intro, and don't stop, ep 33 just came out last night.

Isn't Marble Hornets the Slender Man thing? I've seen a few episodes. Yeaaahhh, not so much. Slender Man's cool, but I'm not impressed by the series itself.

glitter bomb
01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Awww... I think it'd be awesome to have Woolly Mammoths again. :D Sure, species go extinct for a reason and there's that whole "playing God" bit if you believe in that... But, I say go for it. ^.^
my bf tried to convince me that woolly mammoths would be like furry elephants. and elephants are cute, especially baby elephants, so furry elephants would be even cuter. but I'm not buying it. I bet the woolly mammoths would have some kind of dormant viral infection that would get reactivated and give us all herpes or something. or pass some kind of genetic mutation onto our existing elephants, which would then infect a whole zoo, which would then infect people at the zoo.... ahhhhhhhhh. best case scenario, we get big furry angry elephants with no natural predators and the earth becomes overrun with furry elephants from the past. ;)

I had and still do have Eisoptrophobia. Fear or mirrors.

Don't read books about murders coming out of mirrors. When you're in 4th grade. x___x
I do not suggest watching or reading Mirror Mask then (Neil Gaiman).

As for my fears?
Drugs being forced on me. I opened that youtube link before I found out what it as about and closed the crap out of it when I did. I've never even seen that movie. Just heard too many stories about people on acid chopping their own arms off and whatnot.
Knowing that you can (a) differentiate between reality and drug-induced visions or feelings, and (b) talk yourself down will help with that. I've on occasion accidentally double-dosed myself with meds, which led to very uncomfortable experiences. But as a result I learned how to recognize the symptoms and quiet myself, which has made me feel much more capable of handling things like that without doing myself harm.

Also a legitimate fetish. The balloon thing, I mean. Not the crying in front of the whole class. Although that's probably one, too.
all I can think of there is Balloon Man, the guy who likes to sit inside inflated balloons. Aw, Balloon Man, I was so happy when you found your Balloon Woman. :)
...though now that you mentioned the fetish thing I'm kinda wondering about that teacher. ;)

ShadowDrac
01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
As a child... well, it's hard to explain... Angering my parents, specifically my father. My father was a verbal assassin (wish I was kidding. He liked to kill people's hopes, dreams, and trust though his manipulative ways, and when he was done with them he'd toss them away. Really nice guy). I won't go further into detail; I'll just say 17 years of that crap was too much.

As an adult, my biggest fear is not graduating from college, let alone graduating with the grades I strive for. Things have been really hard lately, and the money I've saved for college is... gone. The state put me through junior college, but I doubt they want to pay the $40,000 it'll cost over the next two and a half years at university.

Oh, and seeing my dad again is up there, too, alongside with disappointing my mom and best friend with my faults and failures.

SailorEarth
01-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Nothing ever really stuck with me as a child as far as fears. If I saw a scary movie it'd freak me out but I'd be over it in a couple of weeks. Spiders definitely weren't a problem. A black widow webbed down on me from a doorway and I caught her in my hand. I thought she was pretty so I took her to my mom to look at. I told her she wouldn't bite me because she knew I wasn't afraid, lol. She made me put her in an empty baby food jar. Little did I know she would pour ammonia in the jar and kill the poor thing. She still has it, too :/

As an adult I have way more fears than I ever had as a child. I guess the most prominent is the fear of my loved ones dying. My husband joined the Marines and I'm terrified he might not make it back. He's not even gone yet so I can only imagine how much worse it'll be once he actually ships out. I worry about house fires, particularly when I'm not home and all my pets are trapped inside. I have a long commute to work with my husband and I worry about getting in a horrible, grisly traffic accident.

Akemi Idane
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Isn't Marble Hornets the Slender Man thing? I've seen a few episodes. Yeaaahhh, not so much. Slender Man's cool, but I'm not impressed by the series itself.
Aww. Well, I tried.

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
So: who else has done all of these (http://87fireworks.tumblr.com/post/2397795279/paranoid-parrot-you-describe-my-life-too)?

sam vimes
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Aww. Well, I tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXYC_jX2Wc

Flora88
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
So: who else has done all of these (http://87fireworks.tumblr.com/post/2397795279/paranoid-parrot-you-describe-my-life-too)?

...*raises hand shamefully.*

I'm a pansy.

Aearon
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXYC_jX2WcO.o.... That... was odd.

Origin
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM

*shifty eyes* Yeah. Yeah I've totally done them. All of them. I still run for the bed when I turn my lights out (universal law of bed covers ftw!), when things are too quiet I start reaching for the nearest heavy object ready to take on the zombies and despite flying almost every year for all of my seventeen years of life, if that engine makes an odd noise I tell my family I love them and cover my eyes.

The mirror? Not so much. I did that after watching the Poltergist (don't ask why), thumps in the shower and I'm instantly in the Bates motel and I'm trying to remove the shower head to insert into creepers dome. But elevator doors not opening immediately? My claustrophobia (which isn't bad until I feel stuck or trapped) instantly kicks in. My friend and I got stuck in one once and I had a panic attack and literally curled up in a ball for the whole hour (I was later told it was only five minutes, but I still don't believe her.)

nannyogg
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
But elevator doors not opening immediately? My claustrophobia (which isn't bad until I feel stuck or trapped) instantly kicks in. My friend and I got stuck in one once and I had a panic attack and literally curled up in a ball for the whole hour (I was later told it was only five minutes, but I still don't believe her.)

LOL, that brought back memories... when I was about 17, I was at a sci fi con and got in the elevator with two drunk guys and enough people with generous enough proportion that it was really, really cozy in there. Then the damn thing got stuck between floors, where when they tried to open the doors externally, there was maybe 10" of daylight showing... not enough for anyone to remotely squeeze through. And we were stuck for more than a half an hour, with everybody sweating and the drunk guys saying they were going to puke... I don't think I've ever run out of a small space as fast as I ran out of that elevator when they finally got it to where we could get out!!!

rubyspitfire
01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
mine are fairly generic, although there are odd things that should scare me and don't

i am deathly afraid of elevators, probably from watching too many moves where the cables snapped or a building was on fire in the middle and the people trapped on the top floors tried to ride the elevator through the flames, but it stopped in the middle so they burned to death... if i can take the stairs i will, and i have bad knees. i am afraid of heights in general, probably for similar reasons (this movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_(film))). i don't like balconies or large windows in high-rise hotels. i will never go skydiving or mountain climbing. i am also claustrophobic. it's not nearly as bad as my fear of heights but i have my moments of panic in enclosed spaces, but if it's dark and quiet i'm ok

i love flying in small planes. there i am, way up in the air in an enclosed space, and if the engine fails i could die or a wing or the tail falls off i will definitely die, but i love it. i do not like helicopters though. they remind me of elevators

i'm not afraid of disappointing my parents or any of my family for that matter. i already know i'm a disappointment and frankly, i don't care. i'm an adult, i don't need their validation or anyone else's

edit: also, not really a fear, but god/goddess/whatever higher power help anyone who ever harms my kid. he is my only reason for living some days, and if that reason were gone i have no problems either going to prison for the rest of my life or offing myself before i get caught

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Once the power went out when I was in the (windowless) bathroom at work, and I was standing right in between two mirrors while I washed my hands. I just screamed until I'd managed to unlock the door and get out.

Not my proudest moment.

Cadmium Polyphony
01-20-2011, 10:27 PM
*takes notes on fears from all members, and devises series of new fear toxins*

Yes..... Dr. Crane will be pleased.

Yukikittie
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I shamefully have.

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
*takes notes on fears from all members, and devises series of new fear toxins*

Yes..... Dr. Crane will be pleased.

And yet, Scarecrow totally turns me on.

Cadmium Polyphony
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
And yet, Scarecrow totally turns me on.

Why do you think I work for him?

Mhmm...

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Why do you think I work for him?

Mhmm...

Villains do get all the lovin'.

December Rush
01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
When I was very little I had a dream that me and my family when to a store and they forgot about me. I cried so much after that. Now I don't have that fear as much. I now have a fear of being yelled at. I was once at my friends house and her stepfather was horribly mean to her. He constantly screamed at her when she made minor mistakes. Another time when I was in 7th grade I was accused of cheating. The teacher yelled at me and called me lazy. I was called to the office a few times and the principal talked to me while my teacher hovered over me. I nearly cried but I held it together until I got home and my mother called the school demanding why a teacher had made me so upset. All seemed sorted out but when I got back my teacher told me not to cheat again. She only ever seemed to like her basketball team... I'm a very shy and easily stressed person. One time I was openly asked a math question in class (with the same teacher) and I did not usually have math with her. I took a less advanced math class so I didn't know the answer. When stressed I shake and get really hot so I blurted out something random. My friend still teases me about it.
My other fears are speaking aloud in an unfamiliar group and being alone. Gosh, I'm one unstable person. xD

HomeDepot
01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
When I was a child: Needles (no pierced ears to this day), and falling through ice
As an adult: Still afraid of falling through ice

I started donating blood and overcame my fear of needles.
I jumped through a hole in the ice for the Polar Plunge and now I'm five times more afraid of falling through than I used to be!

Aearon
01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
My sister fell through the ice in a pond that I was fishing for salamanders in after we told her to stay away... I had to carry her dripping wet, freezing self all the way up to the house... >.<

HomeDepot
01-21-2011, 12:43 AM
That's awful! but at least she was ok ^_^.

ShinobiXikyu
01-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Oog, I've gone through ice too. By my own fault. X_X
When I was 12, I was too impatient for the ice on my frog pond to melt so I could go and catch them....so what did I do? Walk onto the middle of it and start JUMPING ON THE ICE.
Ten seconds later, a crack like a gunshot, the ice across it broke in half, and I narrowly survived jumping from chest to ankle-deep water and getting soaked up to my knees in subzero water. X_X And I had a quarter-mile walk uphill back to the house. My feet were blocks of ice when I got inside, and am I ever glad I didn't get frostbite. X_X
...so yeah. More eager than ever to never fall through ice again.

....and speaking of ponds, I'm afraid of/disgusted by leeches. And marginally scared of snapping turtles. (If I'm just watching the turtle, no biggie. If I see it when I'M in the water, OMFG GETOUTGETOUTGETOUT!!!)

Volnixshin
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
worms, and creepy crawlers like them. they freak me out then send me into a huge rage.

Cadmium Polyphony
01-21-2011, 11:02 PM
worms, and creepy crawlers like them. they freak me out then send me into a huge rage.

Did you intend to implant images of you turning into the Hulk in my mind, with that statement?

'Cause it worked.

ShinobiXikyu
01-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah, forgot my biggest fear nowadays that I developed when I was around 9 or 10; dentists.
That's not a dentist's chair, it's a torture chair. I've been incredibly self-conscious about my teeth since I was young, and having some masked creepy man leering down at me and poking with sharp, blood-inducing instruments, prodding very-delicate teeth roughly (by very delicate, I mean I'm very scared that one smack in my mouth and they'll shatter. Of course, Im too terrified of dentists to properly check in on/fix that...), all those other freakish procedures, and making me spit blood when you SAID you'd be gentle?
No fucking way. I'm not paying to scream my head off in sheer horror at my own expense.

nannyogg
01-21-2011, 11:22 PM

I don't mind worms, but when I was little, I used to be terrified of earwigs. They have a lot of them in the grass where I grew up and in PE class in elementary school they'd always make us sit on the grass... in shorts... it would freak me out, just imagining one crawling on my bare legs!!! Yuck! Not sure why the thought of other bugs didn't bother me, just earwigs.

ShinobiXikyu
01-21-2011, 11:27 PM
oooog, earwigs ARE gross. Especially when I was a kid, of my friends had a big problem with earwigs (we found out that weekend, that the tree in their yard was INFESTED with them).....she also had a pool, and when we weren't wearing our swimsuits, we left them outside to dry on the fence.
....one time, a huge bunch of earwigs got into them.
EW. We spent twenty minutes banging them on the concrete to make sure we'd gotten them all out and killed them all.

DaemonForce
01-21-2011, 11:31 PM
earwigs
Ah, so that's what they're called. I always wondered what the hell those things were. My grandparents always mixed them in with silverfish but I noticed an odd difference. I knew they weren't silverfish but I just didn't know the name for them. Yeah, those things were creepy. I used to fry them when I was a kid. Icky bastards. :/

rubyspitfire
01-22-2011, 01:55 AM
i always called them "pincher bugs"

oh this reminded me of the GIANT @$$ beetle my mom found in her yard last summer. it looked like a stink bug of some kind, about an inch long, but the damn thing had pinchers on it's face as wide as my little finger. i stopped going across her yard barefoot or even in sandals. i'm afraid of losing a toe!

Alyxiane
01-22-2011, 02:42 AM
I fear of killing myself.

That is all.

onewingedjade
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh I've got one. I'm way afraid of the gas overfilling when you pump it. The moment that things click I'm like 'quick pull it out!' I used to have a fear of it even clicking, but I got over that because I hate getting gas.

Lithium Flower
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
The moment that things click I'm like 'quick pull it out!'

This made my day. I am clearly 10 years old.

nyditch
01-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Needles I sorely dislike, but I wouldn't rank them amongst my worse fears.

For me, it's sulfuric acid.
I don't know why, but I have a terrible fear of sulfuric acid. The weird thing is, I'm also fascinated by it. I watched a chemistry demonstration with it and, standing about 8 feet away from the small beaker, my joints were trembling, yet I still wanted to have a closer look. Even if I'm only in the same room as un-sealed sulfuric acid, I feel like I need to wash my hands to get it off when nothing is actually there. I've even had a couple bad nightmares like one where I got like a 5 gallon bucket of it dumped on my arm and it was burning my arm off.

I know there are other acids and chemical compounds that are even worse, but those don't bother me too much. Hydroflouric acid is a bit creepy, but for VERY good reason.

MilkyJezzy
01-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I've always been afraid of being chased. Whenever I even think that someone is running after me, I freak out. Even watching Let's Plays of "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" terrifies me due to all the running and chasing. I blame all of this on the fact that in elementary school, I was chased around the playground a lot. :(

MondayKosmonaut
01-24-2011, 12:43 AM
I don't think anyone's said this yet, but my most recent, nightmare causing, daytime, around-the-corner fear in Slender Man. It was so bad that in the day time, I had to have a friend come over and talk me into showering. He's gotten popular recently. I saw him back when there were like 300 views on his Youtube account. (Like a hipster... ><)

So I'll share the horror that is Slendy with Cos.com. For best results, watch with about three friends in a large, dark room with lots of windows. It starts out kind of slow, but it picks up fast!

SLENDERMAN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhfn3mgWUI)

Flora88
01-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't think anyone's said this yet, but my most recent, nightmare causing, daytime, around-the-corner fear in Slender Man. It was so bad that in the day time, I had to have a friend come over and talk me into showering. He's gotten popular recently. I saw him back when there were like 300 views on his Youtube account. (Like a hipster... ><)

So I'll share the horror that is Slendy with Cos.com. For best results, watch with about three friends in a large, dark room with lots of windows. It starts out kind of slow, but it picks up fast!

I'mma take a rain check on that. It's dark and I'm a pansy.

Flora88
01-24-2011, 12:53 AM

I'mma take a rain check on that. It's dark and I'm a pansy.
I was most recently frightened by a show on Animal Planet. On fucking ANIMAL PLANET.

That's just sad.

onewingedjade
01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
@Lithium: I thought the same thing so no worries.

*is watching Slenderman*

Pahahaha okay, I totally just changed my mind! It's almost 3am. I'll watch it tomorrow with a friend. xD

DaemonForce
01-24-2011, 02:40 AM
*is watching Slenderman*

Pahahaha okay, I totally just changed my mind! It's almost 3am. I'll watch it tomorrow with a friend. xD
Ahahahahah! Another one is hooked on the creepy atmosphere! Yay! :D

It gets better. I promise. ;)

Kell-chan
01-24-2011, 03:36 AM
For me, it's sulfuric acid...I know there are other acids and chemical compounds that are even worse, but those don't bother me too much. Hydroflouric acid is a bit creepy, but for VERY good reason.

Oh wow. This.

I work part-part time as a lab assistant at a high school, and part of my job is diluting acids. No biggie, right? I've been doing it for years.

Only, it's still kinda a big deal. For some reason, sulfuric acid is awful. Don't know why. Sure, it's exothermic as hell while diluting, but it's not likely to crack the glass of the container. And it doesn't fume like hydrochloric acid. Or eat through plastic like nitric. BUT STILL. There is something about sulfuric acid that I just can't stand.

rubyspitfire
01-25-2011, 12:06 AM
remembered one while watching mythbusters on netflix earlier:

flying insects. they creep me the eff out

stardust760
01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Childhood I was scared of the dark, I still kinda am... And spiders I freaking HATE spiders! The other day I was watching the animal planet and learned about one called the traveling spider, that thing is freaking fast and deadly might have scared me away from ever going to brazil...

sam vimes
01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
SLENDERMAN

I watch it for the film school-tier acting.

captain0marauding
01-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Sharks, shark attacks, more sharks. D:

DaemonForce
01-25-2011, 11:53 PM
This made my day. I am clearly 10 years old.
It took me two whole days to get this.

You're dirty. -_-'
flying insects.
I used to have a cage for these things when I was still a child.

I just barely remember it but for some reason I had a fear of being petrified when I was younger. Not shock but literally being turned to stone. Make of that what you will. :/

Lithium Flower
01-26-2011, 12:02 AM

You're dirty. -_-'

>:D ehehehehe.

I am a 10 year old boy trapped in a 21 year old womans body. In which case that boy might be quite pleased with the turn of events.

kittymutt
01-26-2011, 12:07 AM
My biggest fear is going into the wrong restroom. I always constantly check the sign on the door to make sure it's the correct one. XD

DaemonForce
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
>:D ehehehehe.

I am a 10 year old boy trapped in a 21 year old womans body. In which case that boy might be quite pleased with the turn of events.

I'll add your giant tits to the list. -_-'

Katen_Kyokotsu
01-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Let's see... as a child (well in a way I still AM one, but I mean like under 10) I was TERRIFIED of glass elevators, escalators, and public restrooms. With glass elevators, I'm not sure what it was, but the wires of any elevator scares me and with it being glass it was just worse. With escalators it was fear of being dragged under. And I don't know why I was so scared of public restrooms.

Now I'm still kind of scared of elevators, going to a store when it gets robbed or catches fire or something, and those aliens from Mars Attacks. And also taking a book or item off of a shelf and seeing someone staring at me from the other side kind of scares me. Hasn't happened, but the thought of it scares me. >.<

Bloo de Berry
01-26-2011, 02:32 AM
As a child, I was really, really afraid of these spider robot things. I think they're from the movie Deep Space or Lost in Space or something like that. I don't know why, but they gave me nightmares for years. I also refused to watch any space movie for a long time because I was sure that those evil things would be in it. XD

As an adult... Well. I'm afraid of being alone. Like... Not just everyone I love dying or deserting me, but also being physically alone.

ShinobiXikyu
01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Got new ones, lol.
As a kid (and still to some extent today); baseball. I was TERRIFIED of playing it. Bludgeoning heavy bats and hard balls being whipped at your head? NO EFFING WAY. I also got one of my teeth knocked out from playing it (or should I say, made to play it, because Mom signed me up one year without my consent. And didn't get why I usually cried my head off or tried to get out of practice, or refused to go outside in the backyard with a bat and/or ball....)

And today; I am also TOTALLY revolted by bodily secretions. All kinds. Urine, vomit, saliva, sweat, tears, if it comes out of your body, I do not want to even SEE it. Which also makes me hate cleaning the bathroom, especially toilets. And on that topic, pipes/plumbing. I don't know why, but I won't go near it. Under the sink or behind the toilet? Not touching it. Someone else can go under there.

sam vimes
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Now that's just sad.

Cadmium Polyphony
01-27-2011, 12:21 AM
As a child, I was really, really afraid of these spider robot things. I think they're from the movie Deep Space or Lost in Space or something like that. I don't know why, but they gave me nightmares for years. I also refused to watch any space movie for a long time because I was sure that those evil things would be in it. XD

As an adult... Well. I'm afraid of being alone. Like... Not just everyone I love dying or deserting me, but also being physically alone.

Are you sure the spider robot wasnt from 'The Explorers'?

It was a giant robot spider in that movie, if I rememebr right. Gave me nightmares, but they were surprisingly exciting nightmares.

Arlette
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
You want weird fears? OK, sure.

When I was little, I was terrified of Slimer from Ghostbusters. Not anything else in the movie, JUST Slimer. Even the scary librarian ghost from the very beginning didn't make me as unsettled as that big green fatass. To this day, I couldn't possibly tell you why. I mean, I was like 4 or 5 when I first saw the movie. But then I remember the cartoon coming out...The Real Ghostbusters...and he was in that, too! And I was scared of ANIMATED Slimer! I could barely even watch the show's opening! (Or maybe this was after they changed it to "Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters", I don't really remember. I do know I'm dating myself REALLY badly right now, though.)

Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that, as an adult, I'm no longer scared of Slimer.

However, I have an absolutely debilitating fear of daddy long-legs and vomiting. Like, if I see sticks on the side of the road that RESEMBLE a daddy long-legs because of how they're positioned, I will start to feel anxious. And if I feel the slightest bit sick to my stomach, I start to have a panic attack because I'm afraid it might lead to throwing up. Which, BTW, I haven't actually done since July 2002.

I've found that as I get older, my neurosis get worse. That's why I'm grateful for the drugs I'm now on, lol.

-Nayami-
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I am deathly afraid of scavanging birds, like crows. I break out in tremors and sweats just seeing them on a television/movie screen. I broke out in hives (literally) when visiting my grandma in Florida because there was a whole flock of these black birds.

Ice Fox Keiko
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I am scared crudless of needles. Seriously. I'm 22 and they have to HOLD ME DOWN to give me a shot. I practically hyperventilate.
Used to be pretty bad with bugs, but I got over that... so long as they're not ON ME!
Still frightened of the dark, I know it's ridiculous but so long as I'm not alone and I can make out shapes I'm okay. Pitch black scares the bejeebus out of me. No joke!

Lovelychristina
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Right now the worse one is Slimey Animals. On a date we went to the zoo and there was a Salamander I think it was called. It Took a Few minutes to get near the Statue of it let alone the Exhibit. *shudders* slugs DX

Also DF- I caught what she said right away XD

Zymod
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
When i was a kid...Horses and big animals because i was tiny as a kid. Also loosing my mum (which happened when i was 6. I was a wreck for months) and spiders. especially my brothers tarantula called spider. (origonal) One time he escaped, and well, we never found him so i would check everything in my bedroom for weeks after its dissapearence. The stupidest thing i was scared of as a kid was Flubber from the movie 'Flubber'. God it gave me nightmares.

Now, i'm an avid horserider competing in eventing. Now im scared of loosing my dad, and still scared of spiders. I can't watch the spider scene in the 'return of the king' without closing my eyes and blocking my ears. I'm also petrified of injections, snails, slugs (anything slimy except fish and our pet axelottl, Terry) and my horses MASIIVE feet. (That ones a joke, but it hurts like @^%$(! when she steps on your foot and leans on it. Im also terrified of boats and airplaines and now being a passenger in the car with my brother driving from our recent car accident. God i wanted to kill him.

touchmon
01-27-2011, 07:19 PM
When I was a kid I had a serious fear of if I leave a door half open then someone was going to come in(Ex: monster or whatever) The door could be fully open or fully closed and I would be okay.

Now that I'm older, I think my biggest fear is probably being late. I always start early for anything and such. Even when I try to be late I usually end up on time.

Axelai
01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I won't say who (as she goes on this site a lot), but someone i know... i was staying at her house, and 100% nonchalant, she closes her closet door right before we go to bed. When she saw i watching her, she says 100% serious "So the monsters won't kill me." and went to bed XD;; Totally 100% nonchalant.

...it was silly.

doxiequeen1
01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
When I was a kid I had a serious fear of if I leave a door half open then someone was going to come in(Ex: monster or whatever) The door could be fully open or fully closed and I would be okay.

This. Doors cracked open are just unsettling to me. I'm not scared of monsters or anything, but it feels like someone could be watching me through them..

DaemonForce
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Also DF- I caught what she said right away XD
You're exactly the reason I should never date anyone. Period.

The zoo, amusement park and aquarium are full of adorable slimey critters that deserve to be pointed and gawked at like a delicious meal that sets your heart on fire but okay the Salamander is kinda creepy. I'll give you that. It's been around forever and now they're finally being killed off by some weird fungus that divided by zero. Still, I like the red ones that look like something between a balloon animal and a big shiny popsicle. How they don't get eaten for looking like that is beyond me. The green, black and pink ones look nasty though. The sight of them makes me want to stab one or kill it with fire. I don't like leeches either. I have a fear of being eaten alive by those things. o_O

Speaking of slimeys, I now have a fear of Brian Peppers. I know he's a stupid Internet meme but just the thought that anyone could look like they survived a Falcon Punch scares the crap out of me.
Im also terrified of boats and airplaines.
I can kind of understand the boat thing since I swim like a rock but I don't freak out when I'm out of the cabin. Airplanes just piss me off. Not the small ones that land at the airport next door but the big commercial airlines that want to charge you an arm and a leg to reserve a flight, check baggage and get groped by some derpy TSA weirdo dressed like a mormon with blue gloves. These are people that are told how to do their job every morning by some zombie boss that is disappoint. They are all filthy, mindless and disgusting fatties. I remember one that had a chin but Jay Leno stole it the week after I met him. Poor guy is now barely making it as a cab driver. The whole thing is scary and to top it off, I used to work in that incredibly horrific environment so I know it's all srs bsns. My personality still suffers from it. o_O

Yeah, I don't so much have a huge fear of planes as the process thing and it pisses me off. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. No wonder so many people think they're going to die when the plane finally takes off. Some people actually realize how heated the other passengers are. x_X'

tabetha2010
01-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Roaches *shudder* they scare me especially the ones that can fly UGH!!!!!!! I will literally let a roach rule the kitchen until someone else kills & for some God awful reason everytime I see a roach I'm the only one who notices it no one else will ever see it but me & I get so paranoid XD

Also Airplanes, now this fear didn't stem from 9/11 I've always been terrified of planes I dont know why because I've never been on one its just ever since I was little I've been scared of them :/

onewingedjade
01-27-2011, 11:54 PM
So I watched Slenderman. Ahhh so epic! I loved it. It was scary at times...

But then I look out the window and see a Twilight cardboard cutout in someone else's window and I flipped out bad. So frightening...

Starwind720
01-28-2011, 12:29 AM
My fear as a child is heights.
I went up the Eiffel tower (Las Vegas) once and I was scared... not gonna say it.
Today, sort of.
Needles as well.

Fizz
01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Some fears of mine include Fish bigger than my feet (the sea in general because it's a frontier) and squirrels >.>

Skeff
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
When I was really young, I had a fear of my toys coming to life for some reason. My mom would spray "magic stuff" aka, water from a spritz bottle, over the room to make sure they wouldn't come to life.

As an adult, my only fear is not accomplishing something huge in my life. I want to make a difference in the world somehow.

Nothing else really bothers me.

pltshp
01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I used to be horribly afraid of MissingNo. My brother caught it in his copy of Pokémon Blue (which ended up being mine once he grew out of Pokémon) and it completely borked his game up. And it scared the crap out of me. We didn't know what it was, why it was there and how it messed everything up. After that, I deliberately stayed away from Cinnabar Island because I was scared it would pop up and take my 151 Pokémon away from me. I even had nightmares about it, haha. 10 years later and MissingNo absolutely fascinates me and I love researching it, so that's a happy ending.

I was also afraid because of the Dreamcast. I loved that console so much, you don't even know. But one day, my brother (the same one!) tried to find out what would happen if he listened to the sound files on a game.
"This is a Dreamcast disc and is only for use on a Dreamcast unit. Playing this disc on a hi-fi or other audio equipment can cause serious damage to its speakers. Please stop this disc now."
Oh god, this creepy woman's voice scared the hell out of me. My brother found it highly amusing but it really unnerved me for some reason. I had a recurring nightmare about not being able to stop my Dreamcast from saying it so I turned it off but it kept turning on and repeating it. So I removed the cables and somehow it was still saying it, even though I disconnected it from the TV. It got so bad that we moved house to an abandoned cabin... that it followed us to.
After all that, you think I would have been put off the Dreamcast. I was... until Sonic Adventure 2 came out xD

And as an adult? Creepypasta and general disturbing things. I am so easily freaked out by stuff. I will NOT play Yume Nikki. I think Uboa was cute until I read up on it and started to imagine it being there whenever I walked into the dark. I read Pokémon creepypasta (yes, the ever famous Lavender Town one and the "black cartridge curse" ones). Couldn't listen to Lavender Town's themes for the longest time until Red/Blue's came on shuffle on my iPod in the middle of a shopping centre and I braved it, haha. The ghosts of Pokémon Tower unnerved me for so long after reading this. Bearing in mind this was a few months ago, when I was 18! And creepypasta in general... I've read Suicide Mickey/Squidward and Dead Bart and the obvious ones and it just doesn't make me feel okay. I didn't sleep after watching Suicide Squidward. Not kidding. I stayed awake all night watching comedy movies with the lights on. I try to avoid creepypasta if I can because I know it's not a good idea for me to expose myself to it. My imagination is too wild and will repeat any images until I lose my mind.

I think I'm too easily scared, honestly.

penny_dreadful
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM

I have that, too. Well, I used to. Not so much anymore, but I think it came of reading Stephen King's "The Boogeyman." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boogeyman) Reading Night Shift when I was six was not one of my better life choices, but it worked out okay.

origamikitsune
01-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Hypodermic needles. They scare me. O_o

Now for the thought out fears....

As a child I was greatly afraid of abandonment. This stems from the fact that my parents divorced when I was four and my dad (who had custody) was hardly around, leaving me and my two year old brother bouncing between babysitters and my grandparents' house (and school once we were old enough for that). During this time my mom was...flaky. She would disappear for months at a time, so she wasn't around a lot either. This left me having panic attacks at a young age, not wanting to go to school just so I could stay home and know that someone would be there.

After eight years my parents remarried each other (though, I think they got along a lot better separated) and eventually had two more kids.

But to this day I still suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. >_<

Now...I'm afraid of anything bad happening to my three younger siblings. It's one of those, if it happens to me, I can find a way to deal with it, but if it happens to them...I have a mental breakdown. As proven by a horrible thing that happened to my brother, and it still leaves me suspicious of anyone who gets involved with my family.

ShinobiXikyu
01-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I won't say who (as she goes on this site a lot), but someone i know... i was staying at her house, and 100% nonchalant, she closes her closet door right before we go to bed. When she saw i watching her, she says 100% serious "So the monsters won't kill me." and went to bed XD;; Totally 100% nonchalant.

...it was silly.

I have to admit, I still won't sleep with the closet door open. Not so much a "monster" thing, but I got told as a kid that it was bad luck to leave it open at night....and it's stayed as a habit. All the times of staying over at friend's houses and them refusing to close the door for my fear resulted in horrible things happening the next day too, so it certainly had enough proof for me.

onewingedjade
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
When I was really young, I had a fear of my toys coming to life for some reason. My mom would spray "magic stuff" aka, water from a spritz bottle, over the room to make sure they wouldn't come to life.

As an adult, my only fear is not accomplishing something huge in my life. I want to make a difference in the world somehow.
Nothing else really bothers me.

This is definitely my biggest fear ever. Every night when I lay in bed, this comes into my head. I don't even fear dying, just dying before I accomplish something worthwhile.

Viveeh
01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Now I remember I've always been afraid of my teeth falling off, and had so many nightmares about spitting all my teeth out of my mouth. I don't want. ><

And speaking of bugs, when I was more little I loved the big black bugs that kind of pinch with their toes and get attached to your fingers when you pick them up. :D

Chimera~Moon
01-30-2011, 01:42 PM
As a kid... Shadows xD I used to ahve nightmares of this tall guy (just his shadow mind you) walking around with a gun and going into my moms room..and heights... I was afraid of everything from elevators (expecialy glass ones uhghfgsdkfg) to balconies...
Now as a teenager xD Im terribly afraid of pain, spiders and people looking at me o3o" Pain is just.. XD Ugh.... and I constantly have nightmares of hundreds and hundreds of spiders crawling over my bed and i cant escape D: and People looking at me is enough to make me cry sometimes.. >3> i think thats just normal teenage shyness..

I love horror movies tho xD Almost nothing can scare me :D None of my friends can creep me out and my boyfriend gets waaaay more scared than i do when we have all-night horror movies :D

Yukikittie
01-30-2011, 01:47 PM

...it was silly.

I do this. ;A; I also can't have any mirrors in my room when I'm asleep, they have to be flipped around. xD

RicanPlatano
01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
When i was a kid i was scared of my barbie dolls coming to life and killing me. >>;; i always thought that they would move on their own when i wasn't in the room (because sometimes i would leave and when i came back they weren't where i left them) and they have creepy smiles...

As an adult i'm extremely terrified of spiders after my dad was bitten by one and almost died after three days. and i'm also afraid of abandonment and of my husband leaving/cheating on me, because it happens to so many nice people in the world.

SailorMoonUsagi
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
ohh, goodness.. I have a lot... XD

Horror movie covers. Not the covers themselves, but the contents of the cover. I don't have to see the movie, just the cover. I saw the cover of the first saw movie when I was eight. I've never seen Saw. But I'm deathly afraid of Saw. I know... lame... T_TBut yeah, I will flip out if I see another Saw promotional poster at the movie theaters... This is why I don't like going to movie stores that often, because I'll freak out at the horror movie section.... :eeek:

Noseferatu. Daang, he scares me and facsinates me at the same time. If I saw a picture of him or something, i'd be like, oh, cool! Noseferatu! But then when I go to bed I'll be freaking out.

Orcas. I have a reacurring dream where I'm being eaten by an orca. Its the wierdest fear. They are so cute, yet they are so evil.. T_T

The whole concept of demonic possessions and such. I once had a nightmare when I was kid where everyone I knew was dragged down to Hell or possessed by the devil or something. Pretty intense stuff for am eight-year old. Ever since then, the whole concept scares the crap out of me. I could never watch an exorcist movie.

Aliens :alien: (Not very creative, but yeahh..). I blame this on my cousin, who watched an alien documentary on the history channel on Thanksgiving when I was like 5. Then I saw someone dressed in a giant alien mascot suit at my moms work... they had to convince me it wasn't real. T_T It took me YEARS to get over that. Now I'm pretty much over it... :D

My greatest fear however, is tape worms. UGH. Scare me so bad. :blubber: I blame animal planet. That one episode of "The Most Extreme" scarred me for life. I remember the entire thing. This new "Monsters Inside Me" show isn't helping either, though I have yet to watch it:thumbsup: Curse you, animal planet. I'd probably die if I had a tape worm. -shudders-
Most of my fears are highly irrational, but they are unique! :p

Axelai
01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
I do this. ;A; I also can't have any mirrors in my room when I'm asleep, they have to be flipped around. xD

Flipping around isn't good enough for me. I can't have a room with any mirrors. Period. For any reason. Even compact mirrors i need to go put in the bathroom first. ><;;

rubyspitfire
01-31-2011, 05:09 PM
wrong thread

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Not so much a fear, more an anxiety, but every time I'm in a plane that takes off I hear Edward Norton's voice saying "Most plane crashes happen in the first thirty seconds of a flight."
And then I get a flash image of the scene in Fight Club when they're all getting sucked out of the plane.
I read that book way too young.

Big appleton
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Those creepy young girls in horror movies/games. Movies like the Shining, the Ring, the grudge, and F.E.A.R. always have that innocent looking girl that is the sole cause of all this mayhem. The more innocent they look, the evilier they are. :D

Dragonomine
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Heights and drowning. Both together is epic panic attack. For those of you in north east US, if you've ever traveled to Ocean City, Maryland there's the Chesapeake Bay Bridge you have to cross...

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu103/BDCurtis/DSCN2783.jpg

This is like... a monster. White knuckles and death grip on steering wheel if I'm driving or hiding my face in my pillow if a passenger.

Shuko
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
My fears are pretty mundane, but they're crippling...

1. Germs.
I am a total germophobe. I probably wash my hands close to twenty times a day, and it shows. They're dry, cracked, and very rough. My main reason for germ fear? I'm absolutely terrified of becoming sick. And I'm not talking about deathly illnesses that most normal people would be concerned about; I'm just talking about your run of the mill stomach virus. I have a severe phobia of throwing up. It's nearly all I think about every time I eat. When I eat a meal, I think to myself, "will this hurt me or choke me if I get sick on it?" I'm dead serious. I can't eat without stressing about it. It's gotten worse lately too; it's so bad that I've lost all kinds of weight from not eating often enough. And what's really wild is that I haven't thrown up for the last 18 years, either. I have been so paranoid about germs and washing my hands that I've somehow kept myself from catching any stomach viruses. I also stress about who prepares my food and how fresh and clean it is. Eating in restaurants is a nightmare.

Whew. That one is my worst. It's the kind of phobia that completely ruins a person's life, you know? Common sense tells me that the only way to overcome this fear is to somehow induce vomiting in myself so that I can reaffirm that throwing up isn't nearly as horrible or terrifying as I think it is, but of course, I can't bring myself to do it. :waaaah:

2. Bees and Stinging, Biting Insects.
Ever since I was stung by a bee when I was a toddler, I've had a terrible fear of them and other stinging, biting bugs. It's so bad that in the summertime, I avoid going outside as much as possible, because our property is party central for bees, wasps, hornets, horse flies, etc. It's really hard to have to tell a friend who wants you to go biking with her that you can't because you're afraid you'll hear a buzzing in your ear and freak out enough to swerve into the path of an oncoming car... >_< Until I see what kind of bug it is, I'm most likely to start screaming like I'm ten and run around with my hands waving and my head ducked down. It could be a regular old housefly, but until I see it myself, it's nothing less than the biggest, baddest, most human-hating monster hornet that ever lived. God, I'm so neurotic! :thumbsup:

Strangely enough, though, I'm not too bothered by spiders. I have something of an affinity for them, because they eat all the scary bugs, lol. I like Praying Mantises and Dragonflies for the same reason. :p

ShinobiXikyu
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I live in Canada, so biting insects is just a way of life (up North, I've spent a week there and come back with more than 300 bite marks on me AFTER strong bugspray and a mosquito hood), the mosquitoes, blackflies and horseflies were so bad. Oh fuck, and you do NOT want a deerfly bite. Those things are NASTY huge....
Of course I hate them with a passion, but they don't scare me. I laugh at westnile virus because it's such a ridiculously overblown"epidemic".

But stinging insects? Except for wasps/hornets, I'm not scared of them. I was never scared of bees, since it's actually pretty hard to get stung by one (since they can sting once, then they'll die, sooo they can't get too ragey. Last time one stung me, I'd stuck my finger into the same flower it was in and grabbed IT while pulling seed pods out....). Kind of funny, since most of my friends would literally scream and run from the sight of any bee, I'd just stand there 'til it went away. Or ignore it completely.

Volnixshin
02-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Death

I know it is inevitable, and I know we must all face it. But it terrifies me, it wakes me up, it makes me shiver. I can't stand it.

sicdedman
02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Heights is my Number 1 Fear - it is not so much looking down from high up its looking up. Its hard to Explain but when i look up from being up high it feels like im falling.

Drowning is another fear, when i was like 9 i almost drown in ocean from Undertoe/RipTide. just could not get a grip or swim out of it. Finally i did after swallowing a bunch of water i have not been to the Ocean/Beach in 18 years.

Not really afraid of anything else. Snakes,Spiders,Bugs,ect. are all cool.

BsWN
02-03-2011, 07:38 PM
My worst fears are...

1) The Unknown. I'm absolutely terrified of what I don't know. It's just a fact >.<

2) Spiders/Bugs/Insects, I screech and demand that the closest person murder it immediatley.

3) ... My mother. She's awesome and I love her and all, but she can be really scary when she wants to be. O.O

LOVEUlquiorra<3
03-10-2011, 11:52 AM
1) When I was younger I was horrified that if I didn't treat my toys well they'd come to life while I was sleeping and brutally maul me. Not murder, but actually rip my body apart even after I'd died.

2) I had a dream about a skeleton that drifted to my house in a hot air balloon and broke in. The dream ended with it cornering me in my closet. I was afraid of hot air balloons for the longest time after that...

3) I was and still am terrified of not being liked or not having friends. I hate being lonely.

4) Being the last or first to die in a horror scenario. Last because they'd be no one to die with or turn to for protection, first because I'd never know if my friends survived.

5) Death in general. A recent dream of mine was a zombie outbreak. My best friend was turned while protecting me. Kinda hard to explain, but I was in a group and we had climbed on top on these shelves (for some reason it took place in a Toys r Us). After my friend became a zombie, I threw myself off of the shelf and let her eat me alone.

6) Growing old and dying. I think someone said this already, but the idea just...makes me feel so scared/uncomfortable.

7) People not caring if I died. I had a dream that I was passing out suicide letters and everyone just accepted them and smiled. It was weird...

That's a lot... ^^; The weird thing is that I'm a hardcore body horror/gore fan. I guess I just can't take some forms of it.

zoeoviedo
03-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Umm my fears,

As a Child:
The dark, and everything that I didnt know would be there. I was always afraid of ghosts and stuff because they are VERY real, and they liked to pester my family.
Death, I would cry alot that we eventually would all die, I just didnt want it to happen sooner than it had to be.

as an Adult
The dark still, and ghosts. when I'm at home I turn on ALL the lights, I hate the dark, I start hyperventilating if there is a black out, I'm convinced that there is something that will hurt me or scare me so bad I will be traumitized. when I go to bed (I live with my fiance) he turns off the lights, and I don't open my eyes for NOTHING until he leaves for work or when natural light comes in. I also can't see well in the dark at all, like I'm blind, but I have exceptional sight reguraly.
Zombies, Im very intrigued but deathly afraid. I would probably commit suicide if there were mindless cannibils overthrowing the streets.
The ocean, I hate water, I hate swimming, I am afraid of being pulled down to the depths and being confronted by some scary sea creature. not really of drowinging just the stuff in the ocean.

the thing about my fears, I'm totally fearless against scary men or walking around downtown LA alone at night, because I'm convinced I could fend myself against things that are very real like that. I've been assulted before and defended myself quite well and was really quick witted and got away. but if it was a ghost or demon that assulted me it would be a very diffrent outcome.

T_T

Miyabi-
03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Spiders. If they are bigger than my thumbnail I just have a melt down and have to go get someone else to dispose of them. TOO MANY LEGS MAN. :eek:

Clowns. Laugh if you want to but they are FREAKY. Anything could be under that make-up. ANYTHING. I literally almost ran into a Pennywise cosplayer at Dragoncon last year and I ran away squealing. (poor guy probably thought I was nuts)

Death
I know it is inevitable, and I know we must all face it. But it terrifies me, it wakes me up, it makes me shiver. I can't stand it.

Ditto only mine is a bit more extreme. I'm not afraid of death itself but I'm afraid my conciousness will remain with my decaying corpse. So as I decay I'm aware of it. I'm also scared of possibly being buried alive. I have nightmares about this every so often and I always wake up thrashing around.

x-Steffi-x
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I fear death and heights. Oh and roller coasters. I used to love riding those things, but I'm absolutely petrified of them now O_O;;

I'm getting old. Oh yeah, fear that too.

rubyspitfire
03-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Heights and drowning. Both together is epic panic attack. For those of you in north east US, if you've ever traveled to Ocean City, Maryland there's the Chesapeake Bay Bridge you have to cross...

This is like... a monster. White knuckles and death grip on steering wheel if I'm driving or hiding my face in my pillow if a passenger.

you'd hate san francisco and seattle, although that is a nasty monster of a bridge. i wouldn't drive on it O_O

Winter's Dream
03-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Thunder.
I was struck by lightning when I was little, still have the scars to prove it, and ever since have always been petrified of thunder.
Seriously, it thundered one time at a cosplay meet and I ended up freaking out and freezing in the middle of the road. Only my best friends knew why.
It is annoying though when I hear something like a wheelie bin being dragged around or a low, loud aeroplane, because I just freeze and listen.
What a great reaction to have. DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE.

Chaletica
03-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Wasps. I just hate them.
Probably comes from the time I was 4 or 5 and was taking the bus. There was a wasp on my seat that I didn't see, and when I sat down, it stung my butt. ._.

Also, (hard) objects getting thrown straight at you, or coming towards you at high speed. For example gym balls, which is why I don't like gym. I'm all "OHSHITOHSHITITSGOINGTOHITMEITSGOINGTOHITME..." and just curling up.

DireKitty
03-11-2011, 07:08 AM
When i was a kid I was afraid of the dark. That was about it. I ran on my sheds roof, I petted snakes... but in the dark I couldn't see, and thus something that shouldn't have been there, could have been.

Now i'm afraid I won't get my masters or phd.... and my dreams will be shattered... and i'll have wasted more money. *twitch*

Viveeh
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
To add to my list, I'm terrified of big waves and going further than a meter deep water in an ocean. I panic when I can see nothing but water and the sky, and with waves it's even worse because they can throw me deeper and pull me under. I don't step into the ocean if the waves are big and I won't let my boyfriend go in either. He loves swimming in giant waves so I guess I should be sorry. But I prefer to be sorry than have a huge panic attack. I didn't know I had this fear until last summer, had never swam in an ocean before. But they're so scary. DX

Arc_The_Lad
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Snails, slugs, leeches, anything like that.
Heights

I'm not afraid of the dark, but I will be in certain locations, like when I had to guard a closed down school overnight. Walking through it with just flashlight, not cool. Thanks Silent Hill, I'll never trust old schools again.

Fish.Michiru
03-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Big water slides and drowning. I love water but when I was younger, I was sliding down this big water slide on an inner tube with my mom. Then at the end, my inner tube flipped over and threw me in the deep water face first. I didn't know how to swim back then so I kept thrashing my arms in the water and I just sank down even more. I had no clue how I survived though, I just knew something pulled me back up on top of the water and my mom pulled me out. To this day, I refuse to go on any big water slides fearing I might drown. >_<

Gwazi57
03-11-2011, 08:33 PM
When I was reeeaaallly little this old, super cheesy movie called "the killer shrews" scared me to death. Yes. As a five year old I feared genetically mutated shrews from like...the 60's?

I have always (yup still do) fear hypodermic needles. They are the freaking scariest things in the world!! I get the shivers just thinking about them :(