PDA

View Full Version : Drawing/painting design on acrylic material

Aryllos
01-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I am currently putting together a cosplay of Phoenix Wright as he appears in Apollo Justice (a.k.a. "Hobohodo"), and I've been having trouble figuring out how to approach his hat.

I have absolutely no idea how to knit or sew, so I can't make my own.

I have obtained a hat (it's a beanie-type hat, basically all acryllic material) that is suitable in appearance, and all that is left is to somehow modify it to add the pink "PaPa" on the side. However, I really don't know what would be an effective way to accomplish this. That is to say, I don't know what I should use. A friend of mine said she thinks spray paint would probably work, or maybe acrylic paint if I'm really careful and if the knit is small enough. However, I would really like to avoid the risk of messing it up and having to get another hat, so I figured I would see if anyone else has experience/advice with this sort of thing.

In short, my question can probably be summed up as: What is the best way to add writing or some sort of picture/design to a stretchy acrylic material?

Thanks in advance!

Kitten-sama
01-15-2011, 11:57 PM
You could go with buying the hat, and using fusible "felt", or taking any fabric, cutting out the letters and using an ironing-fusing sheet.

CrssaFox
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I have used acrylic paints on faux fur before, so it should work for a knit beanie as well. What you'll want to do is water it down a little bit so it's not as thick, and you might need several layers (don't glop it on too thick! let it dry!) but with enough patience and care, acrylic paint can work just fine. :)

TR Rose
01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Fabric paint. Comes in a variety of colors and is designed to work on fabrics.
You may have to work the paint into the spaces between the fibers with a paint brush, but shouldn't be too difficult. A good friend of mine does this cosplay and that's how he put the letters on his beanie.