PDA

View Full Version : girls looking like guys

neko rinchan
10-17-2003, 09:00 PM
i tend to cosplay male characters more than female characters (didn't even realize that that had a different "section") but what's a good way for a girl to look like a guy? i already know about chest binding and such (for once having a small chest is an asset) but how can i make my face look more manly? it's a little chubby and very girly...

MistressRinRin
10-17-2003, 10:53 PM
i have a girly face too ^.^ lol. if you put concealer that matches your skin tone on your face and a lil lip junk that's a skin color on your lips, it'll get ride of your rosey coloring, that, and it helps to have short lashies

Menchi
10-18-2003, 01:39 AM
jus subdue or dont accent your lashes, being some guys do ahve curly an long eye lashes is jus a matter of not making them as obvious

Susumari
10-18-2003, 02:02 AM
i probably think now that i will get into crossplaying more. i could be more compfy and look better, since how my body is shaped.

KIL78
10-18-2003, 03:17 AM
Learn how to move and stand, I have never seen a convincing drag king (in person pictures are another matter). The way you walk cues subconsciene "tags" in peoples mind. Other tips also include sholder pads, and, the stragicly placed sock.

For the face guys tend to have heavier brow ridges and unkempt/fuller eyebrows, use shadeing to create the apperance of more sunken eyes and masscara on your eyebrows to make them more bushy(a little goes a long way).

Cicatrice
10-26-2003, 10:08 PM
I crossplay alot more than I cosplay. o.O I find it fun running around as a bishi! x3

Fault
10-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Does anyone have any neat tips for stopping your hips swinging as you walk? I can't seem to help it.

Other than that I think I've got the 'guy walk' down pat, from arms swinging and stride length and speed to the way I hold my torso.

MyLeonheart
10-28-2003, 05:47 AM
hummm....thinks for a monet i bet i could crossplay relly well lol ...and be dead sexy wile doing it, i'm verry short and have a baby face *been mistaken for a girl whe i had long hair befor >_< lol well i'll see how it goes.......

Vialoi Ketsueke
10-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have any neat tips for stopping your hips swinging as you walk? I can't seem to help it.

Other than that I think I've got the 'guy walk' down pat, from arms swinging and stride length and speed to the way I hold my torso.

Well, I don't think it's possible to completely stop your natural walk,..but maybe you can cover that up by using your shoulders more when you walk. I watched how men in suits walk, that seemed to help me. ^-^; In fact when I cosplay as Muraki, people think I'm a guy, until they talk to me.

Fault
10-28-2003, 08:52 PM
muahahah!! I have perfected the guy walk! My hips swing minimally, my shoulders do their guy-thang and I look manly I tell you, manly!! *bursts out laughing* :D I like being overdramatic sometimes.

The 'suit walk' does indeed focus my attention to the proper areas. Thankyou muchly. *gives Pocky and pillows* :)

dustbunny
11-18-2003, 05:28 PM
I find it alot more fun to be a hot guy then a girl. Don't ask me why it's just more fun.

ACXchan
11-18-2003, 10:30 PM
The question is... how does a girl make a convincing guy when the guy she's cosplaying happens to be incredibly beautiful (traits traditionally associated with females)? ie. guys like Hotohori, Rociel, Marron, etc. etc. XD

CapsuleCorp
11-18-2003, 11:09 PM
I would think, study the *character* rather than the gender. Move as the character moves, speak as they speak, gesture as they do. If you capture the essence of the character, it doesn't matter what either their gender or yours is.

I tried that around Halloween in my Hiei outfit, held myself more the way he does rather than as I normally stand and walk, and it did wonders.

Susumari
11-18-2003, 11:39 PM
..well said, well said

L to the 3rd
12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
i just try to look angsty, quiet or solem..and boom.. instant guy.

BIOJECT
12-03-2003, 08:11 PM
I don't think make-up is the solution. Make-up usually makes someone look more feminine. Don't wear any make-up, don't do anything to your brows, and stop shaving for a month. Cut your hair short and get it spiked or just leave it alone so it's messy. Personally I think this approach would work best. Putting make-up on a girl no matter what the make-up is will only help in making the girl more girly. Do what we do! *wink*

Also remember guys don't usually spend all kinds of time in the bathroom doing make-up unless of course your my friend who manages to spend more time in the bathroom then the average girl. Just avoid doing unncessary things that a normal girl would do and you should pull off being a guy quite well. Maybe lazy the look is the right word?

Scoti
12-03-2003, 09:48 PM
I think I’d have to disagree with you on that. I believe that the most convincing crossplayers out there where just as much make-up as normal women only key is to give the impression of not wearing any. Besides it evens out your skin tones and you’ll look better in pictures

Lyn
12-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I also have to disagree with BIOJECT. Often make-up is needed for a lot of anime/manga characters, female and male in order to look like them. Plus, it's espicially good for establishing a bishounen type look. And the not shaving thing isn't a good idea at all. As I think we rarely see anime characters with a lot of body hair on them and plus, it'd just look kinda nasty since that's not going to make a girl look like a guy, it'll just make her look like a hairy girl.

I agree with what someone (sorry, I forgot who it was and I'm half asleep right now) said earlier, that it should be more about aiming to look like the character and getting their persona down through the way you look, than at trying to focus on getting the gender right.

Key things for dressing up like a guy, though, binding unless the costume covers up your chest area. Or some type of way of making the chest area look smaller if you don't like to bind.

Really, I don't think you should worry too much about whether you look like a convincing guy or not. That's a pretty hard thing to accomplish at times. Try to go more for the adrogynous look or bishounen aspect than the manly part. It's lot easier for girls to get the bishounen look.