PDA

View Full Version : Places near Sakura Con Seattle

Magesticbrat01
01-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Suggestions, thoughts, opinions...Preferably places with in walking distance of the Washington Trade and Convention Center.

Celia Rose
01-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Places... Eating places? Lodging? Karaoke place? What are you looking for, specifically?

Origin
01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
There is a really lovely spot just outside the connection between the Convention Center and the Hilton Hotel. If you take the back entrance there is a really lovely garden area (you can get excellent pictures there if your photographing Feudal Age or ninjas) and then a little further from that is a water feature with varying levels and all stone. I'm not a photographer or I'd suggest more places, these just happen to be two places I took pictures of friends at.

Magesticbrat01
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Places... Eating places? Lodging? Karaoke place? What are you looking for, specifically?

Oh Gosh, I'm sorry, I was referring to places to take great pictures.

DaemonForce
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I am so stupid when it comes to finding good places to eat but Seattle is still my territory. Visiting twice a year is no excuse for my ignorance and I'll do my best to spoil my crew at the good places at this upcoming Sakuracon.

The Convention Center is 8th & Pike right?

Juice It
Ste 16, 725 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101-2361
Start your day here. Warning: Inexpensive and impressive.

La Creperie Voila
707 Pike Street kiosk, Seattle, WA 98101

Pallino Pastaria
610 East Union Street, Seattle, WA 98122
Zomg ASP.NET based survey (http://www.tellpallino.com/survey/Default.aspx) and coupon! Weeee!
Warning: Mind the time.

Blue C Sushi
1510 7th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101

The Cheesecake Factory
700 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98109-2311

This one is a bit out of the way and somehow managed to get my attention:
Japanese Restaurant Izakaya Wann
2020 2nd Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121

I know there are much nicer places but they're not as fun. :/

For me the food and pictures sort of run together. It's good to be a little away from Pike's Place. Public photos are always a little more interesting during Seattle events anyway.

Xanarcah
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Seconding Origin's suggestion! If it's the same place I'm thinking of, it's called Two Union Square, the entrance is next to Ann Taylor Loft. It's a plaza/garden with stone/concrete stairs, a large running water fountain and a reasonable amount of greenery.

On this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/DarksideOmega/Cosplay/SeattleRestaurantandHotelMap.jpg) map, it's the asterisk between the red star and the location marked with a C.

... I once mapped an extensive part of downtown Seattle to locate all eateries and ran across this plaza.

Magesticbrat01
01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I am so stupid when it comes to finding good places to eat but Seattle is still my territory. Visiting twice a year is no excuse for my ignorance and I'll do my best to spoil my crew at the good places at this upcoming Sakuracon.

The Convention Center is 8th & Pike right?

Juice It
Ste 16, 725 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101-2361
Start your day here. Warning: Inexpensive and impressive.

La Creperie Voila
707 Pike Street kiosk, Seattle, WA 98101

Pallino Pastaria
610 East Union Street, Seattle, WA 98122
Zomg ASP.NET based survey (http://www.tellpallino.com/survey/Default.aspx) and coupon! Weeee!
Warning: Mind the time.

Blue C Sushi
1510 7th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101

The Cheesecake Factory
700 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98109-2311

This one is a bit out of the way and somehow managed to get my attention:
Japanese Restaurant Izakaya Wann
2020 2nd Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121

I know there are much nicer places but they're not as fun. :/

For me the food and pictures sort of run together. It's good to be a little away from Pike's Place. Public photos are always a little more interesting during Seattle events anyway.

I know of great places to eat, but thank you.:bigtu: My questions was where to find good places to take pictures.

Magesticbrat01
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Seconding Origin's suggestion! If it's the same place I'm thinking of, it's called Two Union Square, the entrance is next to Ann Taylor Loft. It's a plaza/garden with stone/concrete stairs, a large running water fountain and a reasonable amount of greenery.

On this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/DarksideOmega/Cosplay/SeattleRestaurantandHotelMap.jpg) map, it's the asterisk between the red star and the location marked with a C.

... I once mapped an extensive part of downtown Seattle to locate all eateries and ran across this plaza.

I will look into this, thanks for the tip! ^.^

Origin
01-17-2011, 10:20 PM

YUS! Thank you. I could NOT remember what shop was there!!!

Clyde_2.0
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
What sort of background do you want? Do you want grunge, a place with nice foliage, an open meadow, a view of the Sound, a cheerful alleyway. The Seattle Public Library has got some really nifty art/background stuffs... It's not terribly close, but it's not too far to walk either, and it'd be great for space-y/modern themes.

But I'd also suggest just going out and looking around. You will find the best little nooks/alleyways/walls/public art that will work for any type of costume theme you have going on. Keep a sharp eye out and you'll find more locations than you need. ^_^

Magesticbrat01
01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
What sort of background do you want? Do you want grunge, a place with nice foliage, an open meadow, a view of the Sound, a cheerful alleyway. The Seattle Public Library has got some really nifty art/background stuffs... It's not terribly close, but it's not too far to walk either, and it'd be great for space-y/modern themes.

But I'd also suggest just going out and looking around. You will find the best little nooks/alleyways/walls/public art that will work for any type of costume theme you have going on. Keep a sharp eye out and you'll find more locations than you need. ^_^

I'm looking for a softer place. Maybe something with meadow/flowers, or a stone pathway. I was thinking about next to the Pike there's a small grass field, with pick-nick benches. Down below there's the waterfront walk where the ye old shoppe is. I'm afraid of ruining my costume though, getting it dirty, or risk of having it stepped on, ripped, or spilled on.:blubber: I know there's a fountain down there too.

Thanks for the suggestion. :bigtu:

Xanarcah
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
If you walk down the waterfront a ways (to the right, away from the aquarium), there is a nice fountainy area. Further on there's the sculpture park and I think I saw a small conservatory or something like that in the same area. Past that is a nice park with cool access to the water via some boulders. Around the same area is access to a couple little semi-circular beaches with sand and lined with boulders.

All of these are a bit far for someone who just wants to take a photoshoot mid-con and then go to the next panel, though.

Photoshoot inside the aquarium might be awesome. o: I kind of want to do that.

tarinalove
01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes, but the aquarium costs 17$

the red lion hotel has some nice photo locations. Looks like europe and they have a london phone both inside.
The westlake center has an urban park with food and a pretty fountain.
The nordstrom has that bridge (go up to the fourth floor) and fish in tanks in the kids clothing section (on the fourth floor). Lemme see; there is also the freeway park.
Oh and the seattle center will have a new merry go round sort of thing. Look on the seattle center website. You can take the monorail from westlake center to the seattle center there and back for 4$.

On 2nd avenue and the corner of marion\marian is a gorgeous archway in front of a bus stop. Very archetecturially pleasing. As well as historic style brick buildings down that street.

Apsara
01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I've walked from the convention center to the International District where there are a few leafy parks filled with bamboos and kitschy Asian decor. I did it in 4 inch stiletto heels too. It's directly South of the Convention center. It took me 15 minutes at a good pace...er...clack.

Directly West of the International District is Pioneer Square with its old world architecture, leafy parks with wrought iron benches and antique-style street lamps. The King Street Train Station is a very nice location too. It's between Pioneer Square and ID.

The subway bus system will get you to these places a lot faster. For free as long as you stay within downtown Seattle City limits.

Xanarcah
01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Never said it had to be a free location, though. o: It was just a thought anyway.

Pioneer Square has got nice architecture, but a lot of homeless hang around the area and may or may not come and either harass or just beg money from you and your group. It might be different now, but it was certainly a sketchy area the last times my friends and I went there.

Apsara
01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Pioneer Square has got nice architecture, but a lot of homeless hang around the area and may or may not come and either harass or just beg money from you and your group. It might be different now, but it was certainly a sketchy area the last times my friends and I went there.*laughs* That can be said of the entire downtown area. I went to watch GANTZ last night and I was harassed literally at every cross walk. Every single one had bums asking for money, drugs or food. I finally gave away my hot dog to the guy directly outside of the entrance to Pacific Place mall where the AMC theatre's located. Which is 2 blocks North of the Convention Center.

My friend and I also got cussed out by a homeless guy who, at first, begged for money claiming he came all the way from Montana and when we didn't he screamed, "You're all the same! !@#!! Not Christian at all. How could you not have money?! NO money, NO MONEY~!"

My friend and I rolled our eyes at him while I snapped, "I've never been a Christian." That actually shut the guy up. I have no sympathies. My entire family was homeless more than once but we always figured out how to get out of it.

We also spent time in Gameworks which is directly across from Convention Center. In front of all the entrances there were homeless vets and kids with pets begging for money. :/ They all had the same attitude.

DaemonForce
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
homeless guy
These always manage to piss me off in more than three ways. I need to stay off the streets and avoid these people at all costs or I might completely lose it. I've had too many bad friends through high school:
Actively seek trouble
Never shut their mouths
Never listen to a word I say
Never handle my generosity with any caution
Assume I will dig them out of their hole

They all end up homeless, annoying and lazy. I know it's stupid to look down on them but one of these people approached me recently at a train station just as I was leaving for a con. He wouldn't shut the hell up and he was acting like an idiot before I could even take one step out of the car. I barely recognized him he looked so horrible. I had my peacoat dry cleaned, bright white slacks and my hair was the shortest it has ever been. When he yelled "freeze!" My first reaction was to trample and clobber him. He's lucky I recognized him before that could happen but he wouldn't stop running his mouth with his sob stories. Everyone hates him and he has himself to blame. It's the same story for every homeless guy I meet and I don't need to see more of them. My heart is dark enough.

Clyde_2.0
01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Ummm... yeah homeless.
Best suggestions I have for that bit:
-Go in a group
-act really busy

I find most anybody will leave you alone if you seem to be in a rush...

And does anybody know the address of a building that's completely covered in graffiti? I've passed by it before and I believe it's in north Seattle, near the U-district... I think my brother said it's a club of sorts...

Xanarcah
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
*laughs* That can be said of the entire downtown area.

This is true, but if I remember right, there's a park right next to Pioneer Square where a lot of people sleep/think of as their own place to go back to. Somewhere by 2nd and Jefferson. The bus I take to work turns by there and man, it's one of the sketchiest bus stops on the route.

You seem to have encountered some real interesting ones, though. o:

Apsara
01-21-2011, 08:47 PM
And does anybody know the address of a building that's completely covered in graffiti? I've passed by it before and I believe it's in north Seattle, near the U-district... I think my brother said it's a club of sorts...This one?

http://www.examiner.com/visual-arts-in-seattle/graffiti-at-tubs-vandalism-or-artThis is true, but if I remember right, there's a park right next to Pioneer Square where a lot of people sleep/think of as their own place to go back to. Somewhere by 2nd and Jefferson. The bus I take to work turns by there and man, it's one of the sketchiest bus stops on the route.

You seem to have encountered some real interesting ones, though. o:Oh yeah, I wished I'd taken pictures of this one guy with a sign that says, "Need $ 4 weed" but with the a picture. He went on to say, "I don't care about food or shelter. Gimme some love and I'll be good." I thought that was creative and so did many others but he didn't get any "love" or money.

Clyde_2.0
01-22-2011, 01:43 AM
^ Yes! That's the one! It's pretty near my sister's place and I saw it while on my way there once. I think it'd be a really cool place to have a photoshoot, especially if the cosplay has some ties to graffiti. Like Soul Eater, where they have some art pages where the main characters are posed in front of a graffiti-ed wall... or something like that. (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kawapaper.com/d/13621-2/Kawapaper_Soul_Eater_0000101_1920x1200.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kawapaper.com/en/wallpapers/manganime/soul_eater/Kawapaper_Soul_Eater_0000101_1920x1200.jpg.html&usg=__MW_jpeh8EAq5UWAiHBCZEU7tTaQ=&h=500&w=800&sz=131&hl=en&start=0&sig2=Xt9ozVHorumNgPKUqX5fgw&zoom=1&tbnid=X4_POWWx3nUqcM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=148&ei=VHw6Teq8LYe4sAPQ3L2wAw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsoul%2Beater%2Bgraffiti%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26biw%3D1264%26bih%3D570%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=100&vpy=85&dur=147&hovh=177&hovw=284&tx=145&ty=92&oei=Enw6Ta--K4fQsAOt-tz8Ag&esq=8&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)

Apsara
01-22-2011, 10:01 AM
^ Yes! That's the one! It's pretty near my sister's place and I saw it while on my way there once. I think it'd be a really cool place to have a photoshoot, especially if the cosplay has some ties to graffiti. Like Soul Eater, where they have some art pages where the main characters are posed in front of a graffiti-ed wall... or something like that. (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kawapaper.com/d/13621-2/Kawapaper_Soul_Eater_0000101_1920x1200.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kawapaper.com/en/wallpapers/manganime/soul_eater/Kawapaper_Soul_Eater_0000101_1920x1200.jpg.html&usg=__MW_jpeh8EAq5UWAiHBCZEU7tTaQ=&h=500&w=800&sz=131&hl=en&start=0&sig2=Xt9ozVHorumNgPKUqX5fgw&zoom=1&tbnid=X4_POWWx3nUqcM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=148&ei=VHw6Teq8LYe4sAPQ3L2wAw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsoul%2Beater%2Bgraffiti%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26biw%3D1264%26bih%3D570%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=100&vpy=85&dur=147&hovh=177&hovw=284&tx=145&ty=92&oei=Enw6Ta--K4fQsAOt-tz8Ag&esq=8&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)Wow, your sister is really lucky to live in the area. The rent there's insane.

And that photoshoot would be so cool! I'd follow just for photos of that even if I don't know the characters.