PDA

View Full Version : BJD's at cons?

Seikari_Love
01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I've seen some people take their BJD's to conventions with them and I was wondering if there was anyone here that does it. I have a PukiPuki from DollFairyLand and I was going to take it to a convention with me this week end but she's so tiny and the hands and feet are magnetic, so easy to lose ;_; Any one have tips to keep track of her while I'm there?

Yukikittie
01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I know people who do, they carry them with them. But I can't give out any helpful tips. ^^'
When I first read this title I was like "Oh my go-" then I saw the D and I was rest assured.

Flora88
01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I know people who do, they carry them with them. But I can't give out any helpful tips. ^^'
When I first read this title I was like "Oh my go-" then I saw the D and I was rest assured.

Yeah, me too. *whew!*

ThakYuki
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I usually take a BJD or 2 of mine when I go to a con. I haven't been to one since I got a Pukipuki a few months ago, but at the next con I go to, he's probably going to stay home, as I'd be afraid of him losing parts, or losing him altogether!

Seikari_Love
01-18-2011, 06:04 PM
I've already had to replace the poor guy's left hand twice, luckily it's not THAT expensive. I thought about putting him in a long outfit and leaving the hands and feet at home where they won't get lost but other then that I'm lost.

Yui
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
I think the best advice is don't be distracted. If you carry your doll in public, aim to go to doll meet-ups/photoshoots/panels and do simply that, rather than trying to juggle shopping, cosplaying or staffing at the same time.
I used to bring mine along a few times some years ago, but then I was getting way too nervous to be casually toting him about when he costs more and is more delicate than my Macbook. O_o

SweetOcarina
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm helping run the BJD panel at Kitacon this year. We'll not be having a 'doll table' that people can leave them on or anything like that as it's just asking for dolls to go missing. I wouldn't even recommend carrying them around. To me there's a difference between a doll meet and a convention. We're doing the panel because we were asked to show people how to do basic doll maintenance. We're bringing two dolls and once we're done with the panel, they're going to be stored somewhere safe and preferably locked.

A crowded convention hall is asking for a chipped face-up or broken finger at the least.

SailorEarth
01-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I take mine to conventions and I've never had any mishaps yet, but I usually only break them out when I'm on my way to a BJD meet and even then they're normally in their carrying case until I get to the meet room. I did make a Mokona costume for my SD Nono to go with my Fai costume and toted her around with the staff for hours on end. I would not recommend this, lol. She's a pretty heavy girl and it got uncomfortable in a hurry. My arm was sore for a week.

Since yours has parts that are easily lost I'd say if you need to carry her around with you make her a cute little padded pouch to put her in so if anything falls off the pouch should catch it. You could make it so her head and shoulders could poke out of the top if you want her to be visible.

FunnyValentine
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah, me too. *whew!*

Me THRICE.

Kikuka
01-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I have two BJDs, a DOT girl and a MNF girl, and both have frequented cons with me. ^_^

I've even dropped my MNF girl's magnetic hand at Katsu once. That was an event. I freaked for a moment and told my group "Don't move! I lost a hand!" -- Luckily they knew what I was talking about and it was easy to find the dropped limb. ^^;

Though, the only days that I bring my girls along are days that I know I'll be attending a doll meet-up. On less crowded days and in less crowded areas sometimes I'll walk around with my MNF in hand, but I don't recommend it on busy days/in busy areas. It's just asking for trouble.

Brsis
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I used to LOVE going to the BJD meet-ups (I started doing that long before I started cosplaying, actually) and I have to say, it tends to be the smaller dolls that suffer. Rowan, my Elf Ducan, has gone all over the country with nary a scratch but I've seen at least three smaller-than-MSD dolls lose magnetic parts or come out with broken fingers and heard of more. If her hands and feet aren't VERY secure, you're going to have to really look after her.

I love bringing my dolls but I can't juggle the costume AND the doll - I can chuck my bags on the floor, but I need someone who I trust to hold the doll without losing the wig or damaging their costume, and I end up carrying too much to want to add another 2-3kg of doll on one arm. I definitely prefer going to non-cosplay events with a doll, even if the doll convention people thought we were weird too, now that the UK doll community is not what it was. Back when there was a really good UK forum and we'd have a meet-up or a table, it wasn't a problem for me to say "Keep an eye on Miryu and Columbia, I'm going to browse the dealer's room for half an hour" because we were such a tight-knit community, but now-a-days that's just not possible.

Apsara
01-20-2011, 12:34 AM
That was my exact fear about tinies. I only want 65cms and taller dolls because I take mine everywhere. He's a cream-white Soom, and 70cms in his boots and wigs so I bring a carrier bag. He sits in it. If anything falls off of him, it falls into the bag.

I also have a list of everything he's wearing. I'm used to making lists so I always consult my various pieces of paper. I check every minute on him and I'm literally at his feet, in eyesight. I never turn my back on him. Before leaving I check my list to account for everything.

DespairedPheonix
01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I've seen people do it. I, personally, would never dare. If any of my BJD's got lost or stolen I would cry.

Fabulousity
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM

.....I don't get it.......

EDIT: Oooooh. Is it sad that I had to google that?

SweetOcarina
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Because we were such a tight-knit community, but now-a-days that's just not possible.

I never found this to be true, even though I got into the doll hobby before the implosion. I may have known all the faces, but I wouldn't have trusted them with my doll. Far too much two-facedness in the doll community in general for that. Most of the 'big names' are on 'certain forums' and it just led to drama. I keep the doll community at an arm's length, because I just don't know what to make of them.

Brsis
01-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I never found this to be true, even though I got into the doll hobby before the implosion. I may have known all the faces, but I wouldn't have trusted them with my doll. Far too much two-facedness in the doll community in general for that. Most of the 'big names' are on 'certain forums' and it just led to drama. I keep the doll community at an arm's length, because I just don't know what to make of them.

That's actually a real shame, the UK forum lot (I forget the thing's name, it's been that long >.> something with 'Angel' in the title), particularly the older members, were an awesome lot. We were all really good friends as well as knowing each other off the forum, which didn't really happen anywhere else... I was never as comfortable with the Den of Angels crowd after the forum dropped off the face of the planet. Don't know what happened to everyone, I rarely see people any more. This was... *counts* four, five years ago.

Apsara
01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
I never found this to be true, even though I got into the doll hobby before the implosion. I may have known all the faces, but I wouldn't have trusted them with my doll. Far too much two-facedness in the doll community in general for that. So true. I went back to being active on Den of Angels and was stunned to see several well-known, well-respected members who've been there since the forum opened with NO Marketplace access. They weren't exactly scamming but their marketplace practices was not respectful towards customers at all. I haven't gone back since 2009 -- too much temptation to buy stuff I can't afford -- waiting for my finances to improve so I was really sad because I wanted to commission a few of them.

Divinita Lunare Aria
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Resurrecting! I take my two to cons with me :D luckily no magnetic parts, all s-hooks. I've got a Delf Miyu named Aria and a Bluefairy Niky, Miere. I don't have an offical doll carrier, I designed the structure of one and what not so I'll have to make it one day :P

I like carrying Aria around, she's big and showy xP But definitely, when it comes to photos or shopping and stuff, that's when dolls become a pain. I'll hand my dolls off to friends if someone asks for a photo. I was lucky once! At Ohayocon 2011, I was cosplaying as Aigis from Persona 3 and someone asked to take my picture, I was about to hand off my doll when the guy was like "oh! Keep the doll in the picture, I like both persona and BJDs" xP

As for the small discussion on Den of Angels, the moderation can get ridiculous. I got a Marketplace suspension for the most RIDICULOUS thing. Supposedly I was "advertising outside the market/soliciting transactions." One) I don't even HAVE a marketplace thread. Bah, I can rant about that incident but I won't >.> I kept all the PMs between me and a mod though :/ But whatever, I like DoA overall, it needs an off topic forum though!

I'm part of a Dollfie Dream forum with less than 100 people. I love it so so much! Everyone is so friendly and helpful! It's a nice example of close knit.

Axelai
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a BJD I carry around with me sometimes, but I have yet to bring her to a con. I'll probably be taking her to Anime Expo, though, and she'll sit upon my Artist Alley table for fun (as I see people do that a lot).