PDA

View Full Version : Touhou Project: Mokou ~ Shoes!

kiratsukai
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to put together a budget Mokou (http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com:81/uploads/1392-1083527914.jpg) costume for a Touhou gathering in May.

The wig came in a lucky bag from Assist. ($20)
The costume was purchased for about $130 from coscolle.
Have the contacts already.

That puts me at $150! Would like to keep it there.

The trouble: I still haven't worked out shoes.

I have a pair of red mary janes from Bodyline that I used for Flandre Scarlet. (ie. the right color, wrong cut). Could I get away with them? Or would they look awkward on the tomboyish Mokou?

I also have a pair of suede shoeboots from my Eruruu cosplay that are the right cut and the wrong color. Does anyone know a way to color suede cheaply without making them look absolutely terrible? Destroying the shoes isn't a concern: I won't use them again.

I already own more shoes than I can possibly use O-o; Getting another pair seems silly.

Eleksin
01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I would definitely not go with mary janes. It would seem out of place for one of the few characters that wears pants in the games. XD

Tonyu
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't know about suede, but I have dyed a pair of canvas flats with watered down acrylic paint. It worked very well, the coverage was even and didn't make the shoes stiff.

The paint I used was very watered down, like a stain almost. I painted it on in thin layers, letting it dry between coats. The trick to even coverage is covering the whole shoe at once. If you paint it in sections, the paint will start to dry at the edges, leaving a line. It took my white shoes about 6 coats to get the light salmon color I wanted. I started with a paint that was the color I wanted to end with, so it took more coats. A darker paint would take less coats.

kiratsukai
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm afraid acrylic paint won't take on a darker fabric... especially if it's watered down. The only way to achieve coverage of red over dark brown would be to paint the acrylic as-is on the shoes which would lead to an unpleasant finish and all sorts of chipping and peeling when worn.

I'm going to give some red made-for-leather paint a shot. I've seen it used on leather and the results were pretty amazing. Assuming it will bind to the suede in a similar fashion, I should be good... Just worried that since it's designed to work on more processed leather, it isn't going to get along with the softer suede.

Tonyu
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
What shade of red are you looking to dye them? On my computer, the color looks mahogany or dark red.

The suede may take more paint, because it may soak it up. Binding to the suede shouldn't be problem, because the little hairs will hold the paint to the surface. What kind of leather paint are you using?

Alucardalina
01-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Have any shoes you can cover?
That's what I'll probably do when I get around to her myself. That, or I'd go to a thrift store and look for shoes I could recover with some dark fabric that would be fitting. I've done it before.

kiratsukai
02-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Just a follow-up. I tried the leather paint and it worked pretty freaking well :)

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2849583/

Would definately recommend it to anyone looking to work out a similar problem ^^