PDA

View Full Version : Anne Hathaway as Catwoman?

SailorEarth
01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Personally, I'm stoked. I actually went all fangirl on my co-worker who told me about it, I'm ashamed to say.

All the hateful comments I've been reading about her ability to play Catwoman put me in mind of the shit storm that followed the announcement that Heath Ledger would play Joker and look what an amazing job he did. Anne's got it in her, too. Can't wait to see her costume!

So what's your position on Anne as the next Catwoman?

Shifty Llama
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I think she will do well

She has that good classic look of the original catwoman and i think she will be able to play the stong catwoman and the more timid selina kyle i back you on this and if it dosent turn out well im sure it cant be worser than the halle berry one!

StrawberrySiren
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I think she's quite amazing and I feel like she doesn't always have to be this sort of good girl. I just really like Anne Hathaway. Catwoman is one of my favorite characters and she's one of my favorite actresses. I have faith.

FunnyValentine
01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Anne has been playing not so sweet roles recently. She is talented and I love Catwoman so I'm happy.

Arlette
01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
I am a huge Catwoman fan. Collector of the comics, figures, etc. Catwoman was responsible for helping me through some tough times in high school, but that's a long story. Anyway, I love this news. Anne Hathaway may not be known for playing strong women, but if her role in Get Smart was any indication (where she played one of my other favorite strong women, Agent 99) I think she will do great. Haters gonna hate.

DiscoVader
01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I can see her doing a decent job. I mean, I'm not really familiar with a lot of her movies, but all I have to say is that Nolan proved he knew what he was doing with Heath Ledger, so I'm just gonna wait and see.

That being said, what I AM excited about is that Bane is gonna get his spot in the limelight. Not as some brain-dead Uma Thurman henchman, but as a dangerous and competent villain in his own right. If there's anyone that can give us the true version of Bane, as a highly intelligent and dangerously savvy criminal, it's Christopher Nolan. I'm just hoping that it'll turn out like I'm hoping.

rubyspitfire
01-19-2011, 10:56 PM
ella as catwoman? i dunno about this. just have to wait and see i guess

Cadmium Polyphony
01-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Good lord, Nolan wont allow Dick Grayson in the film, but he WILL let in Catwoman?

And of all people, Hathaway? She looks like what happens to a pretty girl when her face begins to melt.

If this wasn't just a movie, I'd be annoyed.

EDIT: I just found out Bane will be in it. Suddenly I'm not so (almost) annoyed.

Maybe he'll kill her. Yes. Yes, that will do.

Michi
01-20-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm stoked. I'm a huge fan of Catwoman and have come to really adore Anne Hathaway in the last couple of years.

I could've sworn people were saying Nolan totally didn't want to put Catwoman in, or maybe I'm thinking of a different villain. Catwoman works in his universe quite well, as does Bane. Can't wait.

ella as catwoman? i dunno about this. just have to wait and see i guess

That was nearly 7 years ago, dude! She's 28 now, not 21 like she was when that movie was released. Big difference. I don't mean to use your comment to totally rag on, but I've seen a lot of people today that seem to have only seen Ella Enchanted or The Princess Diaries and have no idea what she's been up to in more recent years. She was great in Love and Other Drugs, for example. :)

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 06:56 AM
I just plain old don't like Anne Hathaway.

I also plain old don't like Bane, even though I do like Tom Hardy.

Then again, I'm probably in the minority in that I don't think Nolan's Batman films are all that fantastic to begin with.

Haters gonna hate.

rubyspitfire
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
That was nearly 7 years ago, dude! She's 28 now, not 21 like she was when that movie was released. Big difference. I don't mean to use your comment to totally rag on, but I've seen a lot of people today that seem to have only seen Ella Enchanted or The Princess Diaries and have no idea what she's been up to in more recent years. She was great in Love and Other Drugs, for example. :)

sorry, all i can think of when i see her face is "somebody to love" with a bunch of giants. and yeah, i'm not a movie buff. i'd rather read a book... but that's because i'm old

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
and yeah, i'm not a movie buff. i'd rather read a book... but that's because i'm old

No, that's just because YOU'RE AWESOME.

sam vimes
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Ol' Sharkmouth as Catwoman? Color me unimpressed.

Michi
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
sorry, all i can think of when i see her face is "somebody to love" with a bunch of giants. and yeah, i'm not a movie buff. i'd rather read a book... but that's because i'm old

I'm not a movie buff either... I don't get what you're implying. I like reading books and watching movies! For the record, I've never seen Ella Enchanted nor either of the Princess Diaries movies. I think the first thing I saw Anne Hathaway in start-to-finish was Brokeback Mountain. Haha.

Also we are are very close in age!

Brsis
01-20-2011, 03:57 PM
... I will be blatantly honest. I was holding out for Harley Quinn :(

HOWEVER - I am reservedly excited about this. I'm looking forward to a dark, less-campy version of Catwoman, and while I think Nolan's direction of his women actors is less practised than it could be, he's improving.

I'm not getting my hopes up, just in case, but since I spent the entirety of 'The Dark Knight' in RAPTURED GLEE (And then walked out and went "Wait a minute, what the hell did I just watch?") I'm turning up on the opening weekend ANYWAY :D

SailorEarth
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I could've sworn people were saying Nolan totally didn't want to put Catwoman in, or maybe I'm thinking of a different villain. Catwoman works in his universe quite well, as does Bane. Can't wait.

I heard this as well. He said he'd never do Penguin or Catwoman if I remember correctly. Maybe he just said that to throw people off the scent? In any case I think he made a good choice. Catwoman is the logical way to go since the love interest spot was vacant.

rubyspitfire
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm not a movie buff either... I don't get what you're implying. I like reading books and watching movies! For the record, I've never seen Ella Enchanted nor either of the Princess Diaries movies. I think the first thing I saw Anne Hathaway in start-to-finish was Brokeback Mountain. Haha.

Also we are are very close in age!

i'm not implying anything. you're obviously seen more recent movies than i have, although ella and diaries are her most well-known works

i also don't understand why you chose my post to bash when i said something far more mild than what others have said... wait, i was the first one to express doubts. ah, that must be it

penny_dreadful
01-20-2011, 11:25 PM
while I think Nolan's direction of his women actors is less practised than it could be, he's improving.

I think women generally aren't well-served in his films. I really enjoyed Inception, but the two female characters were treated so ham-fistedly. It still pisses me off that he had to name them Ariadne and Mal. WE GET IT.

Mangochutney
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
She can do wry, and she looks expensive. I can dig it.

CreativeGuy
01-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I think shes a fantastic choice. Sooooo happy they didn't go with Angelina Jolie.

ssjmkm
02-04-2011, 12:06 AM
I trust Nolan. Catwoman and Bane sound good to me. Shame he won't continue past a 3rd film.

supergeekgirl
02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm still not happy he chose Bane. Catwoman I kind of expected when he said that he wouldn't finish the Joker's story. I like Catwoman, and Anne Hathaway is a fine actor. But Bane... seriously. F*** Bane. I THINK I trust Christopher Nolan, but how is he going to keep Bane from making the movie over-the-top in a bad way? We shall see. And yes, I will be there opening day at midnight. No villain choice will keep me from that.

Michi
02-05-2011, 10:06 PM
i also don't understand why you chose my post to bash when i said something far more mild than what others have said... wait, i was the first one to express doubts. ah, that must be it

I actually explained that when I first replied to you. My intention wasn't to aim what I was saying directly at you specifically, but rather to people (I suppose, including you) that were all saying similar things across the forums I frequent. Unfortunately, yes, you could say it was because you were the first one doubting it -- or rather that you were citing those movies in particular.

See:

I don't mean to use your comment to totally rag on, but I've seen a lot of people today that seem to have only seen Ella Enchanted or The Princess Diaries and have no idea what she's been up to in more recent years.

That, however, wasn't a clear apology, so I am indeed sorry that I made you feel that I was bashing on you in particular. I really didn't mean it. :)

Archangelz
02-06-2011, 05:04 PM
... I will be blatantly honest. I was holding out for Harley Quinn :(

See, I'm with you on this but I'm also not. As much as I love Harley i don't think I really want to see her introduced on her own, as in without the Joker by her side.

As for the main topic of this thread I'm totally biased towards Anne because we're married. Seriously. I love her with all my heart. I'm going to have like 1,000 of her babies. Wait...I mean...

DarkFujin
02-06-2011, 06:34 PM
She isn't who I would have chosen, but I love Anne Hathaway so I'm okay with it. Seriously, she kicks ass and I'm confident that she'll do an amazing job (which she always does).

SecretSoliloquy
02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I bet this movie is going to suck. To choose Catwoman at all is pandering (yeah, that's my word of the day) and boring. The only person who could play her in a satisfactory way was, in my opinion, Julie Numar. But that's because it was on a campy show. The character itself just isn't interesting enough to be in such a dramatic film series.
Oh, well, at least the first two were good.

rubyspitfire
02-08-2011, 01:24 AM
I bet this movie is going to suck. To choose Catwoman at all is pandering (yeah, that's my word of the day) and boring. The only person who could play her in a satisfactory way was, in my opinion, Julie Numar. But that's because it was on a campy show. The character itself just isn't interesting enough to be in such a dramatic film series.
Oh, well, at least the first two were good.

i liked both her and eartha kitt. i just flat out loved that show when i was little, with all the BAM! and SPLAT! every time someone got hit and the variety of bad guys (king tut?)... but now, it's just eh :(

SecretSoliloquy
02-08-2011, 04:09 PM
i liked both her and eartha kitt. i just flat out loved that show when i was little, with all the BAM! and SPLAT! every time someone got hit and the variety of bad guys (king tut?)... but now, it's just eh :(

Oh, I forgot about Eartha! She was fabulous, too. And I do mean fabulous~

Sisshi
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I do know her more from Disney movies, I've seen a few of her more mature movies. She is a great actress and I have confidence in the decision to make her catwoman. (having the body for it helps >.>)