PDA

View Full Version : Allen Walker- Invocated Arm

Meredith
01-19-2011, 11:22 PM
I have an idea that I'm working the bugs out of, making a semi-articulate Invocated arm out of blue insulation-foamboard type stuff in a Globe-theature type way to make it cylindrical. It's about 3/4 of an inch thick, and I've got a system set up to move the fingers up and down. There is a foream and upperarm section, connected by straps covered in fabric and bolted or somehow attached to the inside of the Arm. So, that's the basics.

How would you go about attaching it to your arm? I was considering using some sort of screw (I think they're called Carrage Bolts?) or something similar to create straps (nylon, possibly? Like on a harness) on the top of the forearm section to strap my arm to the top so that my hands are free to move the fingers. But I was wondering, how uncomforable would this get after walking around a con? I'm planning on having a long-sleeve shirt so that the straps don't rip up my arm.

Also, what would be a good way to attach pieces of foamboard together? I was thinking glue, but I heard that sometimes the chemicals can eat away at the foam. I'm trying to make this as light as possible because it's my left arm (and because I'll be wearing it to a con, natch.)

I'll post pictures of what I have in mind for clarity soon.

xMookie
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
to attac the foam together you always could buy some velcro tape. Might wanna try it on a few pieces to see how it holds first.

Akarin-chan
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I'd recommend either Velcro like xMookie said, or possibly a band that holds it to your body wrapping around your chest, and covered by your Order jacket.