PDA

View Full Version : Costumes blues....

Mei Lan Chang
05-29-2002, 10:16 PM
What is the most trouble a costume has caused you?

I mean, I was trying zip up a pair of boots one time and my long hair slipped from it's tie and got caught in the zipper. O course I couldn't get my hair out, nor could I stand up because my hair is most firmly attatched to my head. Can you imagine me caught half dressed in a bent over position screaming for help? Those boots didn't last very long against me.

Yggdrasil Pie
05-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Wai! I remember once when I was getting buttoned up in a costume then half of it ripped... -_-;;

I didn't have a sewing machine...so me and my mom had to hand sew the ripped parts.. @_@

I guess it was too small...

Tenshi
05-30-2002, 10:52 AM
I always have major problems with my hair (it's waist-length). I've never gotten it stuck in boots, though shirt and dress zippers seem attracted to it :P.

My worst problems came with my Sailor V costume. It was the first thing I ever made, so I sized myself wrong and the costume turned out HUGE. The entire time I was in it (which wasn't long) I had to keep pulling the skirt up, or it would have fallen off ~~;;. Plus, I used velcro to fasten it, and it kept coming undone >.<.

kelldar
05-30-2002, 07:06 PM
The shoulder things for my utena costume, definitely. First I remade them several times trying to make them look right, and then the stick-on velcro kept ripping off while *at* the con... so they kept falling off :\ I fixed them for animazement and they stuck, but they're still so heavy and icky looking :D

Tenshi
05-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Stick-on velcro deserves to die a bloody, painful death .::kills it:: No, I'm not violent :P. But that stuff only sticks when it wants to, and it frustrates me ^^;;. Then trying to get a needle through the stuff is a lesson in futility :P. That's why Tacky Glue is velcro's new best friend XD.

Lady Somairot
05-31-2002, 02:08 AM
*snicker snicker* i still blush at the thought of what i'm about to say....

whence making my Asuka plug suit (i.e. Evangelion), there was LOTS of hand-stitching to be done (virtually all of the costume had to be done by hand). well, as you know, Asuka's plug suit is a BODY suit, so i had to wear it while sewing it (most of the time)... which made things difficult in the universe of me.

WELL, you know those black stripes that run along Asuka's thighs to her butt?.... *blush* i sewed the stripes through the bodysuit, onto my panties. WHOOPS.

i realized this when i was trying to take my plugsuit OFF and couldn't quite do so... so i had to have my Shinji come help me cut my way out of my clothing. only problem was that outside of the room where i was changing was a male friend of mine with whom it would not have been completely kosher for him to see me running around naked. *sigh*

we laughed. a lot. now i blush... and laugh. ^_~ and good times were had by all.

i'll be wearing this costume at otakon2k2 if anyone wants to see how it turned out. ^_^

ja ne!

Tenshisama
05-31-2002, 09:59 AM
ugh, i hear ya about that stupid stick on velcro. I used a piece of it to hold up the bow on the front of my Mariel costume. It held for maybe 3/4 of the day... but then the other part I kept having to stick it back on -_-;;; but it was quick and i only had two weeks to make the costume during my free time ^_^;;;

Mei Lan Chang
05-31-2002, 01:15 PM
::snickers at all of the replies, especially Lady Somairot's:: Weehehehhehe! I hear ya!

Jibrille
05-31-2002, 09:23 PM
the most trouble i ever had with a costume was one of my first ones, my Juuhachigou costume, i couldnt for the life of me find a black and white striped shirt...soi had to hot glue...yeah...hot glue the black stripes onto the shirt... it was a hideous experience... -.-;;;
that whole costume was a mess of hot glue and jean too.... *tries to forget*

MyuMyu
06-01-2002, 12:19 AM
o lord @.@ last year for ther Masquerade i had these AWFUL shoulder pieces that kept falling off and apart - they ended up dieing about 20 min before costume judging x.x Needless to say, Myu learned that bouncy balls + stuffing + paint + duct tape = EVIL.

Yami Kuroneko
06-05-2002, 10:46 PM
About a couple years ago I had made this cyoot costume. I wore it to school and wondered why everyone was staring at me. I didn't realize it but the whole costume wa completely see through. Needless to say that was the most embarassing thing in
the world to me! Sayonara =^-^=!

All Hail The Kitty,
Yami Kuroneko

HuongStar
06-06-2002, 11:25 AM
Boot covers.

Boot covers beat me down like nothing else. Right when I think I have them perfect, something always goes wrong. >_< I am starting to think about buying new shoes for each costume because the trouble isn't worth it.

Rosiel
06-06-2002, 12:50 PM
It was SO HOT last year at Otakon, the glue on the velcro that held my Dragonslayer shoulder pads to my outfit melted and they fell off. I had to constantly push them back up and keep them in place by balancing them. >_< And then the same thing started happening to my shin guards. But they held (miraculously).

Oh boy do I hate that costume with a passion hotter than a thousand suns.

yayahan
06-06-2002, 03:36 PM
Honestly I think it's the uncomfortable/pain factor that come with almost every single one of my costumes *hangs head*. How I manage to make everything hurt after wearing it for a while is beyond me. Or, if a costume doesn't hurt, it's impossible to eat/sit/go to the bathroom in. O_o;;; I need to start making some mobile outfits ;_;.

Ginny
06-06-2002, 03:53 PM
OMG did Yurika's shoes hurt. My feet were crying in pain, and it took all my strength to get through the cosplay. >.< I booked it out of there the minute we were done with the cosplay group shot.

And with my Moomba, my knees hurt by the end of the day. Not bending your knees all day hurts a lot.

LiL QoH
06-06-2002, 05:16 PM
my undies on my kusanagi costume kept bunching up around my butt..then the elastic around the waist started to stretch so I'd have to keep pulling them up and adjusting them and it looked like I was picking a wedgie everytime I did it lol XD every 5 minutes I'd have to run to a safe spot to fix them and then my shoulders kept flexing(Im an athelete so eh you know..muscles pop out of nowhere) well we didnt give any leeway for my shoulders and back to flex when I did my pose..sooo the actual PVC started to rip off the fabric in spots ahh! and I could only tape the parts down..lol

Mei Lan Chang
06-06-2002, 05:19 PM
AAwww, but G-Chan, that Moomba costume was SO cool! ^_~ Beauty is pain I guess.

Rosiel
06-06-2002, 05:44 PM
> it's impossible to eat/sit/go to the bathroom in. O_o;;;

I can relate. Two of those three are impossible in all of my Angel Sanctuary costumes (I have found ways to eat, albeit with outside help) while going up/down stairs and sitting was wishful thinking in Seed.

I need to become more practical in my construction, although no sense of practicality can get three huge wings in a bathroom stall. ^____^

yayahan
06-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Dude, G-chan... the shoes hurt ME when I saw you O_O;. I'm so impressed that you managed to stay in them for so long...