PDA

View Full Version : A crossplay problem!

BIOJECT
10-19-2003, 02:17 AM
All my friends plan on avoiding me for next years Anime Expo because I plan on crossplaying as Deedlit. I have told them again and again that I plan on doing a really good job but they say it doesn't matter. One went to note that I look too masculine to pull off a convincing female character. This I do agree on. I am very skinny so body-wise I could pass but my facial features is where it hurts.

Should it really matter? As long as I try my very best to look as good as possible shouldn't that be all that matters? (Shaving etc.) My friends think people at the convention will laugh and taunt me since I will probably fail at convincing them. Yeah this could be the case but it takes balls I think to dress up as a girl.

Ghetto Robo
10-19-2003, 05:21 AM
There will always be some people who will find it an odd thing to do, say stuff behing you back, whatever. Takes real balls to crossplay. If you wanna do it go for it man!

I know myself and a group of friends had decided to do a Love Hina crossplay group, but some of the guys are a little anti crossplay and are considering dropping out of the group so it might not happen... It's all it good fun!

btw I think I make an extremly ugly woman! hahaha, but like I said, all in good fun...

LunarYoma
10-19-2003, 07:34 AM
do what i did. make the whole costume & wear a mask with it & avoid talking to much.

See my crossplay costume in my gallery.

Because i used a mask, my costume was even better than if i didnt use a mask. The looks i got from several men stairing(literally eye poping stareing) at me & then my ass proved it as i walked the halls of nan desu kon 2003. They thought i was a girl.

I got no skills when it comes to makeup so i went with an alternitave & made my own mask to cover my face.

I always loved deedlits costume. If i get good enough at costumes, i will most definately attempt to make a deedlit costume.

Your friends planing to avoid you if you crossplay as deedlit proves how insecure they are in their own manhood. Anyone can admire women from afar, lets see a real man among them try wearing 5" spiked heels & go all out. Most will be chicken shits about it.

Those that fear/hate/ridicule the most of anyone most likely on some form of subconsious level want to do/become what they fear/hate/ridicule.

If i had friends(im assuming they are all male) like yours Id say fuck them & do the deedlit costume anyway.

If i was in your place I would have made the costume first, & IF it looked decent/good, i would have only told them then & not before it was completed.

If you got female friends & they are open minded, then i suggest you see what they think about it.

Brunhilde
10-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Every con I go to seems to have the token 'guy dressed as schoolgirl' and they are usually very popular.

Most of these guys are confident enough in themselves to know care what others think, and as a result I have found that they crossplayers are always very cool people, who others like talking to.

You won't need your stupid friends, you'll make heaps of others there.

Gren
10-19-2003, 03:24 PM
If I caught someone taunting a crossplayer just because they crossplayed, I'd kick them until their ears bled.

There are several people at cons who don't like/approve of m2f crossplay (strangely, no one seems to have problems with or doubt the sexual orientation of f2m but that's a different topic alltogether) but they pretty much keep it to themselves and their private conversations. Your friend obviosly hasn't been to crossplay attended cons if he thinks attendees are going to publicly ridicule you.

Michela
10-19-2003, 04:13 PM
>>If I caught someone taunting a crossplayer just because they crossplayed, I'd kick them until their ears bled.

My hero! ^_^

BIOJECT: I don't see anything wrong with your plan to crossply... in fact, I commend it! ('tis true that it takes courage to crossplay, *especially* for men to crossplay as women, as female crossplayers are more generally accepted than males.)
You're right, as long as you try, that *is* all that really matters. You should go for it, in my opinion... if your friends avoid you for it, shouldn't you question *their* decisions instead of your own? (Embarassing or not, friends are friends and should be together no matter what.) I doubt many people will taunt you... there may be a small number, but that's nothing compared to the picture offers and respect you will earn (there *are* people who appreciate crossplay in the world... this board exists, doesn't it?) Go for it! As for the facial issue, makeup is a beautiful thing for a "woman" with a boyish face (such as myself... it's useful when I crossplay, though XD) Just remember not to cake it on and make it subtle or relevant to your character (you can always have somebody help you.)

Scortia
10-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Do it,... forget them... just keep that goal of doing the best that you can do in your head and that'll keep you going. I mean, hell, I know most of the gals who crossplay look pretty feminine in RL, but they can push the magic to the point of confusing many congoers as to their sex.. do it, you probably won't be alone anyway... not at a con as huge as Expo. o.o

Asukas~Doll
10-19-2003, 09:36 PM
I think it's really great that you even want to crossplay! Do it anyway and show them what it means to be confident in yourself! ^.^

Ragresen
10-20-2003, 10:16 AM
I am sure you will not be the only one crossplaying at AX 2004. I know I for one will be debuting my Malice Mizer LeCeil Kozi at AX 2004. Not that I consider that crossplay for a guy but either way it is still pretty much along the same lines.

If your friends are refuseing to be about you because of this maybe you should think hard on what kind of friends they are. Real freinds back each other in the things they do.

Karisu-sama
10-20-2003, 11:31 AM
AX? Don't worry; I can't see you being laughed out of AX. It's a really HUGE con, and you won't be the only guy there crossplaying. Heck, Fanime this year had what looked like a record number of guys crossplaying, and even li'l ol' Ani-Magic had its share too - no problems. If you are serious and trying to do it well, you should be taken seriously.

Note: Anyone tries it, I'm sure there are LOTS of us sympathetic crossplayers (& friends of) who will be at AX, and who will come to your defense, heh heh.... ~___^

Mizuno Tenshi
10-24-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm perfectly willing to smack people around to help at any con I'm at. ^_^
Of course... I'll probably avoid kicks to the head while in a skirt. I wouldn't want to flash everyone... mwahaha.... the character I'm crossplaying for Nekocon has handcuffs anyways, though... well... if I can find them. ;)

Tenshi