PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Remus Lupin Cosplay

LoonyMoony
01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello~! So I'm cosplaying Remus, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make it really accurate.

Also, how do I make him recognizable? Should I carry around lots of chocolate? Should I hold a picture up of who I am so people know?

MaryRyanBogard
01-26-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm a Remus cosplayer myself, and I've done both the Marauder era and "present day" versions (though I haven't uploaded pictures of the Marauder version or the revamped "present day" version to my gallery/profile here yet). I made the "present day" version (mostly) movie-accurate down to the controversial 'stache, but as far as the Marauder version I simply wear the wig from the "present day" version with the Gryffindor uniform I already had for other characters (like Ron and, interestingly enough, Marauder Sirius). Honestly, lots of people (including a group of Marauder cosplayers I met in 2007 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1340263/)) just use the same versions of the uniform for both Marauders and "present day" students, and there's nothing wrong with that. I also prefer my Marauder versions of Sirius and Remus to look as much as possible like they would believably grow up to be their (movie) adult counterparts- somewhere the filmmakers/casting director failed miserably if you ask me.

As far as being recognized, there are no guarantees even if you do go 100% movie accurate. That's just the way of the cosplay world in general. To somewhat help with regonizability the first time I wore Marauder Remus, after being mistaken for Harry despite brown hair and lack of glasses or scar, I improvised and started carrying my black dog plushie around. Of course, I am a big fan of the Sirius/Remus pairing (the seventh book, sixth movie, sixth book, seventh/eighth movie, the last parts of the fifth movie/book, and stuff JKR has said post-seventh book don't exist) so your mileage may vary on that idea. Unfortunately, while my "present day" Remus costume has not only the mustache but also involves carrying an old briefcase (in reality this serves as my "purse" while I'm in the costume), Marauder Remus would not have had either of those things.

LoonyMoony
01-26-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm a Remus cosplayer myself, and I've done both the Marauder era and "present day" versions (though I haven't uploaded pictures of the Marauder version or the revamped "present day" version to my gallery/profile here yet). I made the "present day" version (mostly) movie-accurate down to the controversial 'stache, but as far as the Marauder version I simply wear the wig from the "present day" version with the Gryffindor uniform I already had for other characters (like Ron and, interestingly enough, Marauder Sirius). Honestly, lots of people (including a group of Marauder cosplayers I met in 2007 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1340263/)) just use the same versions of the uniform for both Marauders and "present day" students, and there's nothing wrong with that. I also prefer my Marauder versions of Sirius and Remus to look as much as possible like they would believably grow up to be their (movie) adult counterparts- somewhere the filmmakers/casting director failed miserably if you ask me.

As far as being recognized, there are no guarantees even if you do go 100% movie accurate. That's just the way of the cosplay world in general. To somewhat help with regonizability the first time I wore Marauder Remus, after being mistaken for Harry despite brown hair and lack of glasses or scar, I improvised and started carrying my black dog plushie around. Of course, I am a big fan of the Sirius/Remus pairing (the seventh book, sixth movie, sixth book, seventh/eighth movie, the last parts of the fifth movie/book, and stuff JKR has said post-seventh book don't exist) so your mileage may vary on that idea. Unfortunately, while my "present day" Remus costume has not only the mustache but also involves carrying an old briefcase (in reality this serves as my "purse" while I'm in the costume), Marauder Remus would not have had either of those things.

Wow! Thank you so much for that list of advice! I'll definitely carry around a black dog plushie, Sirius/Remus is my OTP~ <3. I'm also thinking of carrying at least a picture around to show people if they ask who I am. Maybe putting "Moony" somewhere on my body. I'm thinking of also remaking the cloak I have, it's pretty inaccurate, and I don't want it to cause a problem with people knowing who I am. Thank you so much!

lightside73
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello, I cosplay Remus Lupin too (my gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/193128/)
I think that since Remus is normal dressed (just like a normal professor) the most important thing is the accuracy of the looking alike.

ObitoTheHero
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I've been wanting to cosplay Remus in the Marauders Era!! This thread is acturallly really helpful. Thank you!! ;D

Nickytea
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Regardless of if you choose book interpretation or film accurate, don't forget some facial scars! (I'd recommend collodian.)