PDA

View Full Version : Genderbent cosplay

klassiandreams
01-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi guys. With regards to genderswap/bent cosplay, what are the qualities and characteristics you look for to ensure that the character in question is indeed a creative interpretation rather than an original character?

Example of genderbent characters:

How liberal do you think one should be when modifying the props or changing the colour scheme of the costumes? XD

MDA
01-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm doing a genderbend this year... and really, all that's changed besides adding boobs, is turning the pants into a skirt, putting the hair into a braid, and instead of boots they're in high heels.

If the main elements are still there, it's good. Just some alterations to make it a girl help. Doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to say "this is a girl version."

But I've found a lot of people make it look slutty by revealing more than what's necessary.

glitter bomb
01-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't really see the point in doing a genderbend if you're going to change all the character's identifiable elements, like color and props. Particularly since color is often a key way for people to recognize the existing character, so you could end up with something very different that no one can identify. At that point you should probably just make up your own character, perhaps loosely influenced by the existing character.

The most successful genderbends I've seen simply took the existing design and made minor changes in the fit to accommodate the gender swap. Like converting bib-front overalls into a bib-front dress, or changing a boxy jacket into a form-fitting one. Shoes are also an area that can be easily gender-swapped, keeping the original style in mind.

I'm personally not a fan of people who genderbend just for the purpose of making a stripper version, where everything is dramatically shortened and tightened to look "sexy" (which 9 times out of 10 just looks forced and trashy). I think genderbending a character should take into consideration the personality, role and movement of the character. For example, an armor-wearing character who is stoic and very active wouldn't automatically wear a low-cut thong bodysuit if he were a woman instead. It just doesn't make sense. But that's my personal feelings on it.

eBay Sniper
01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
kinda of what MDA said, I will too be doing a genderbent cosplay, a Male version of Seras Victoria (Hellsing, not Ultimate). and instead of skirt and over knee socks, it will be just knee socks and knee length shorts. Props and rest of costume basically stays the same.

MDA
01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
kinda of what MDA said, I will too be doing a genderbent cosplay, a Male version of Seras Victoria (Hellsing, not Ultimate). and instead of skirt and over knee socks, it will be just knee socks and knee length shorts. Props and rest of costume basically stays the same.

That sounds like a cool idea. My genderbend this year is of Sephiroth. Risky I know due to his popularity with girls, and guys, but there's no way I cold be him as a man. So a girl is my best option. And all I've done is put the hair in a braid, put him in a skirt and high heels. And either a corset or halter top just so I can have support.

Lulzypop
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
My friend and I are going to try to get together female Mario and Luigi. XD
We're thinking of making overalls-looking minidresses, almost, and then just wearing green and red stockings, the signature hats, and black loafers.
Since the Mario Bros have really simple costumes, we don't think it's going to be hard to make them recognizable, even as women!

_Sketches
04-03-2011, 11:28 AM
This is just a closet genderbent Reno I pulled together today for fun. I'd never wear it to a con or anything, just for a laugh because I was a little bored. If I'm not meant to post photos in here, let me know and I'll take it out. ^_^ http://i51.tinypic.com/1tkdva.jpg