PDA

View Full Version : Too much to wear for everyday?

MidnightKitten
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.hellocosplay.com/hell-girl-ai-enma-school-uniform-cosplay-costume-p-232.html

I want this for 2 reasons: #1: because I want to do hell girl cosplay and #2: because I want to wear it everyday as well. I'm just concerned if it would be too wild and costume like to wear for everyday. if so, what can I do to make it more casual? Thanks for all and any suggestions!:angel::sunny:

Miyabi-
01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd just wear the skirt with a nice blouse or plain button up and skip wearing the sailor top all together if you want it to be more casual.
You could also try wearing the sailor top with a pair of white wide-leg trousers and some nautical-themed jewelry and a pair of cute wedge sandals for a summer look.

DaemonForce
01-26-2011, 07:55 PM
The only thing I can think of is swapping the tie for one of another color every other time. Maybe a bow instead of that disgusting ascot style. The outfit looks fairly normal so it shouldn't be a concern. It's not quite casual or formal so it should be fine for every day.

Mangochutney
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
The top is quite costume-y. The skirt is just a pleated skirt, which could be worn in lots of different ways. With a white collared shirt and a fitted black blazer would be nice--could even wear a red neckerchief with it if you wanted to allude to the Hell Girl outfit a bit more.

Given the quality of the costume (i.e. the fabric and the sewing techniques), I think if you wear the top and bottom together anywhere but a convention you'll look out of place and costume-y. The skirt is easily adaptable to other looks but the top is a very specific style and I don't see a lot of casual-wear potential in it.

Kelley
01-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Personally, I think it would look really costume-y unless you went to a school that wore that kind of uniform.

It really depends on what you're alright wearing out of the house. What kind of attention you're okay with getting - that kind of thing.

MidnightKitten
01-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Ah I see, and I don't want any forced attention. I do want people to take me seriously, and not stare at me like O_O wtf. yknow? so, this helps, keep the suggestions coming though! thanks :3

kiratsukai
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Sorry but~

If I saw someone outside of Japan wearing a Japanese elementary/junior high schoolgirl costume uniform on the street, I'd probably have to laugh.

Sort of like how I snort my drink giggling when I see Japanese housewives wearing "mother fuck" t-shirts and want to punch the Japanese kids waving goodbye to their friends on a crowded train with upraised middle fingers, totally unaware of what they mean to the foreigners riding them.

It isn't that I want to hurt anyone's feelings... but some things are just gloriously inappropriate out-of-context and cultural appropriation takes some really absurd turns that it's difficult not to find humor (and sometimes annoyance) in ^^;;;

A skirt is a skirt and a shirt is a shirt... but if you wear that top out... all bets are off.

MidnightKitten
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Sorry but~

If I saw someone outside of Japan wearing a Japanese elementary/junior high schoolgirl costume uniform on the street, I'd probably have to laugh.

Sort of like how I snort my drink giggling when I see Japanese housewives wearing "mother fuck" t-shirts and want to punch the Japanese kids waving goodbye to their friends on a crowded train with upraised middle fingers, totally unaware of what they mean to the foreigners riding them.

It isn't that I want to hurt anyone's feelings... but some things are just gloriously inappropriate out-of-context and cultural appropriation takes some really absurd turns that it's difficult not to find humor (and sometimes annoyance) in ^^;;;

A skirt is a skirt and a shirt is a shirt... but if you wear that top out... all bets are off.

The tie, however, is detachable. Ya think that would help the shirt look more casual, or it's a no go? thanks for being honest too.

adolf
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that both top and skirt could be worn casually?

Not at the same time of course.

But the top with a pair of black shorts, sheer tights, and red mary janes could make a really cute sailor coordinate. No one would really associate it with a cosplay costume unless you told them, or wore a sign around your neck or something. It's a little out of the norm, but it could catch peoples' attention without being too "weird" for normal day wear.

kiratsukai
01-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Sailor top (scarf or not) = 6-14 year old student or older woman dressing up like one for sexual, "entertainment" or comedic purposes.

Cheap Chinese-make in polyester or polyblend = costume.

Non Japanese or non-student in a schoolgirl costume = odd and perhaps perverted.

:/

Don't wear that top out...

Real school uniforms costs well over $300 and are quite high quality, and outside of Japan it will be obvious that you're not a Japanese schoolgirl anyway. Inside of Japan, it would be obvious that you were wearing a costume on the street (both poor etiquette and in some places enough to have you spoken to by the police or security... students' uniforms identify them and their schools. Wearing the uniform of a school you don't go to can get you in a lot of trouble).

Either way you become unintentionally hilarious to everyone remotely aware of Japanese culture.

To put this in perspective: would you wear a cowgirl costume to the mall? How about a fetishy nurse?

Altrus
01-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry but~

Dear Mightykitten,

I advocate you to ignore Kiratsutaki. You're not in japan, you're in america (hell, california, which is EXTRA down with things out of the norm). Who gives a crap about what others think? If you like it and find it to be something you'd want to wear, go ahead and wear it! It's a free country. I personally find pop music awful but I don't bash people for liking it. I don't bash japanese singers for singing in engrish because they think it sounds cool. It's perfectly legal. Buck the norm. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work, you'd be amazed what people can stylistically manage. Be yourself! I personally find it delightful to see people dressed something out of the normal during my day! Makes the world a more fascinating, diverse, and lively place. I don't know about you guys but if I saw a girl wearing a cowgirl outfit to the mall, if she did it well, then, well, awesomesauce!

DaemonForce
01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
To put this in perspective: would you wear a cowgirl costume to the mall? How about a fetishy nurse?
I know some that do. o_O

MidnightKitten
01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Dear Mightykitten,

I advocate you to ignore Kiratsutaki. You're not in japan, you're in america (hell, california, which is EXTRA down with things out of the norm). Who gives a crap about what others think? If you like it and find it to be something you'd want to wear, go ahead and wear it! It's a free country. I personally find pop music awful but I don't bash people for liking it. I don't bash japanese singers for singing in engrish because they think it sounds cool. It's perfectly legal. Buck the norm. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work, you'd be amazed what people can stylistically manage. Be yourself! I personally find it delightful to see people dressed something out of the normal during my day! Makes the world a more fascinating, diverse, and lively place. I don't know about you guys but if I saw a girl wearing a cowgirl outfit to the mall, if she did it well, then, well, awesomesauce!

Sailor top (scarf or not) = 6-14 year old student or older woman dressing up like one for sexual, "entertainment" or comedic purposes.

Cheap Chinese-make in polyester or polyblend = costume.

Non Japanese or non-student in a schoolgirl costume = odd and perhaps perverted.

:/

Don't wear that top out...

Real school uniforms costs well over $300 and are quite high quality, and outside of Japan it will be obvious that you're not a Japanese schoolgirl anyway. Inside of Japan, it would be obvious that you were wearing a costume on the street (both poor etiquette and in some places enough to have you spoken to by the police or security... students' uniforms identify them and their schools. Wearing the uniform of a school you don't go to can get you in a lot of trouble).

Either way you become unintentionally hilarious to everyone remotely aware of Japanese culture.

UHG I'm SO confused. Lol. So far, more people are saying it'd look weird, and like 2 out of 6 are saying it's cool. :blubber:

nana-chan00
01-28-2011, 01:23 AM
it's cool
change the tie and it works^^
to change it up wear a different bottom with the shirt, like some skinny jeans or black or white pants

Mnemeth17
01-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I must agree with kiratsukai that you will get funny stares, in the US or in Japan. While it's somewhat normal to see girls in uniforms in Japan shopping with friends from school, it's not ordinary to see it in the US. It will undoubtedly look costume-y worn all together for two major reasons:
1- Materials. Real Japanese uniforms are made of nice, nice material. In pictures it may look like there is no difference, but you can tell in real life if something's a costume and if it's not.
2- the sailor theme. It's iconic of Japan, and sailor style is rarely, if at all seen, in everyday fashion in the US. Undoubtedly the set worn together will look like you are trying to dress up Japanese. Think of it this way, wearing a proper yukata in the US will look like a costume, even though it is intended for regular wear.

In my opinion, you can get away with the pleated skirt easy in everyday wear (I wear my altered thrift find often) but that sailor top, even if you change the tie, will look really out of place. If you really want to go for the every day wear, no one is going to stop you, but just be prepared and expect people to ask why you are dressed funny/in costume/trying to be Japanese.

Meiki
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I think it's all about personal comfort level. If you're fine with wearing it on a casual basis, then go for it. Be aware though, that you will probably get some odd looks and questions, maybe even rude comments or people yelling at you depending on where you live. If that doesn't bother you, go right ahead. Though I think if you're divided enough on the issue that you have to ask for the opinions of others, you might want to think a little more about your comfort level.

I do think though, that the skirt is fine for everyday wear with other clothing regardless.

Harra Arial
01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
... If you don't want people looking at you oddly, I wouldn't go for it. (Heck, even if you didn't mind, I'd still say no-go, let me explain.)

The materials. All it says is "Uniform material", which makes me think these guys don't know their fabric. It looks like some poly-blend, which will look costumey and cheap... two things you don't want. If you wanted to make or buy the outfit out of different materials, I'd say go for it.

The BlackxWhitexRed combination is -very- hard to pull off without looking costumey. Likewise, the black shows that the material isn't very good quality. Double whammy here.

The sailor style? You -could- pull it off in day-to-day wear if you didn't mind a few stares and offhand comments. If anything, I'd make the collar much less obvious. Less is more unless you're into extreme fashion.

The skirt you could get away with without much trouble, it's the shirt that's going to be a pain. The collar is really obvious, and don't get me started on the tie. It just doesn't tie the look together like it should. Pairing the top with white pants could be cute, but I'd go for a different colour scheme if you wanted to wear this in day to day life.

However, these are just my opinions. Wear what you want, when you want to. However, with fashion comes responsibility, and you have to be willing to accept that people might look at you oddly. Some people can take the pressure, and some can't. Feel free to rock out whatever you please, but make sure you've got the self-esteem for it.

MidnightKitten
01-28-2011, 08:07 PM
OK. I've read everybody's feedback thoroughly and I know JUST what to do:
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7883/purtyhawt.png

dreamoflife02
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I think it would also help if you wore a differently-colored cardigan or something over the top, if you want to wear it out-- honestly I've seen sailor collars in places like Topshop and such, usually on dresses, so if you treat it like a normal part of your outfit by adding accessories and stuff people might go "huh, a sailor collar, weird" but won't go "a sailor collar, isn't that a schoolgirl uniform?"

Honestly, that style of uniform is never seen in the US or Europe, so unless you've got someone who's into anime/has seen sailor moon on CN/whatever their first thought won't be a schoolgirl. My mom wanted me to wear a sailor top out because she thought I'd sewn it well, before I explained it was supposed to be part of a uniform. xD

KittyKax
01-29-2011, 06:12 AM
I think those outfits look cute!!
Yeah I don't suggest wearing the skirt and top together, but separate with accessories looks pretty cute :3

MidnightKitten
01-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks girls!

Geekies
01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Can I ask, when you say every day, would this be like... a signature outfit of sorts? Like, an outfit that defines you or you want people to imagine you in when they think of you? Let me try to explain this better...
Like a lot of characters, they wear the same clothes every day; is that kind of what you're going for here? :3

If so, then I'd like to say that I also have something like this, a signature outfit if one would like to call it. However, I don't wear it every day, but I wear it whenever I'm going out some place where a lot of people are. (It's very casual, not insane, but quite bright green. =3= )
Do you really plan to wear this every day? o: Wash it every day? Or wear one or the other every day and still wash them every day? I'm not going to say it's a bad idea, but it seems like it would be a hassle! >.<;;

Maybe you can just stick to what I do and wear it for defining events!~ :'D Two important days of the week maybe? Three? Every day just seems like a lot to deal with. >w<;;

MidnightKitten
01-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Can I ask, when you say every day, would this be like... a signature outfit of sorts? Like, an outfit that defines you or you want people to imagine you in when they think of you? Let me try to explain this better...
Like a lot of characters, they wear the same clothes every day; is that kind of what you're going for here? :3

If so, then I'd like to say that I also have something like this, a signature outfit if one would like to call it. However, I don't wear it every day, but I wear it whenever I'm going out some place where a lot of people are. (It's very casual, not insane, but quite bright green. =3= )
Do you really plan to wear this every day? o: Wash it every day? Or wear one or the other every day and still wash them every day? I'm not going to say it's a bad idea, but it seems like it would be a hassle! >.<;;

Maybe you can just stick to what I do and wear it for defining events!~ :'D Two important days of the week maybe? Three? Every day just seems like a lot to deal with. >w<;;

Everyday? .. I don't think anyone washes there clothes everyday... Lol. Seems kinda OCD imo.. As for the outfits above, wearing one or the other everyday seems alright with me. If it's cold, I wear the one with the skinny jeans, if it's warm out, I roll up the sleeves on the skirt one and sport that for the day. When it's time to do laundry, I put on my pj's and let them both wash. So... yeah.. :confused: and I'm kinda trying to change my wardrobe slowly into anime inspired but not wacky outfits.

Geekies
01-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Everyday? .. I don't think anyone washes there clothes everyday... Lol. Seems kinda OCD imo.. As for the outfits above, wearing one or the other everyday seems alright with me. If it's cold, I wear the one with the skinny jeans, if it's warm out, I roll up the sleeves on the skirt one and sport that for the day. When it's time to do laundry, I put on my pj's and let them both wash. So... yeah.. :confused: and I'm kinda trying to change my wardrobe slowly into anime inspired but not wacky outfits.

Exactly! It seems like a hassle to wash it every day, but...so you're going to wear it then not wash it but wear it again the next day and the next and so on?? o_o Or...am I reading this wrong? You want to wear this every day am I right? >.<;;

MidnightKitten
01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Exactly! It seems like a hassle to wash it every day, but...so you're going to wear it then not wash it but wear it again the next day and the next and so on?? o_o Or...am I reading this wrong? You want to wear this every day am I right? >.<;;

O_o
Uh... why does this matter exactly?
if you're questioning my hygiene somehow.. ( cause that's what this sounds like to me ), don't worry, I shower everyday.. but it sounds like you have a problem with wearing the same thing every other day..

fabrickind
01-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Geekies, I think she means everyday wear as in wearing it as a regular, daily sort of outfit, not everyday as in she'd wear it literally every single day.

As for me, I personaly wouldn't do it for a few reasons (already mentioned, but I'll restate them: it's obviously a costume, probably fairly cheap quailty, etc.), but if you don't mind wearing a costume for daily wear, no one's stopping you.

MidnightKitten
01-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Geekies, I think she means everyday wear as in wearing it as a regular, daily sort of outfit, not everyday as in she'd wear it literally every single day.

@Geekies: That ^

ToroSonyCat
01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
It's a bit costumey (though I've seen more and more sailor-themed fashion lately) and I can't really understand why you'd want to wear a costume as a casual outfit because I wouldn't do it, too much risk to the cosplay.

Don't expect everyone to take you seriously or not stare at you while wearing it but wear it if it makes you happy.

MidnightKitten
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
It's a bit costumey (though I've seen more and more sailor-themed fashion lately) and I can't really understand why you'd want to wear a costume as a casual outfit because I wouldn't do it, too much risk to the cosplay.

Don't expect everyone to take you seriously or not stare at you while wearing it but wear it if it makes you happy.

hope you saw this (http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7883/purtyhawt.png)

This can't be THAT costumey, can it?

"because I wouldn't do it, too much risk to the cosplay."
what do you mean by this exactly?:)

Geekies
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
@Geekies: That ^

I'm sorry, this part of your post very much misled me (and the title):
"I want to wear it everyday as well."
I wasn't aware that it could be taken any other way. D:
But I understand now. :'D
But even if you meant it that way, as in every single day, I wanted to simply suggest wearing it every other day instead of every day just so wearing it wouldn't be a hassle maybe. ): Sorry if that doesn't make sense! >.<;;

And so! Go ahead and do it if you really want to. :) If I saw someone wearing it, I would most likely just smile and shrug, but then again that's me... If it's every other day then I wouldn't really see it as out of the ordinary in all honesty.

Celia Rose
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Because this costume is coming from a shop like HelloCosplay, it's more than likely going to be made from a fabric that's an odd blend and stands out from fabrics that regular shirts would be made from, and it's also not going to withstand the daily wear-and-tear that daily apparel is meant to withstand. The fabric even looks a little shiny in the product photos.
On top of that, the costume top looks really boxy, and isn't really flattering at all for daily fashion. To me, it looks like an over-sized crop top (and crop tops don't look good on anybody outside a magazine cover).

If you really want a sailor-style blouse and a pleated skirt, try Amazon or another shopping website. Pleated skirts were a really popular trend this past fall, and Macy's women's department is releasing nautical-themed clothing in the beginning tricklings of the spring 2011 collection. Plus, purchasing the actual clothing items that look like the costume will be cheaper than the actual costume, including shipping.

In the end, though, it's you who has to wear it, so it's up to you whether or not to take any of the advice here at all.

stardust760
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
eh, i say wear what you want! heck you might even start a new trend. as altrus said,its America! Ive seen weirder trends hence 1980s, gaga, shall i go on? if someone says anything say "HEY! Our founding Fathers fought so i could have my god given freedoms and that includes wearing what i want where and when i want so if i want to freaking walk around dressed like predators i will! so suck it!" that will shut them up! lol ^^

P.s. my neighborhood is very diverse so i see people dressed in saris and whatnot and i think its awesome!

MidnightKitten
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
eh, i say wear what you want! heck you might even start a new trend. as altrus said,its America! Ive seen weirder trends hence 1980s, gaga, shall i go on? if someone says anything say "HEY! Our founding Fathers fought so i could have my god given freedoms and that includes wearing what i want where and when i want so if i want to freaking walk around dressed like predators i will! so suck it!" that will shut them up! lol ^^

P.s. my neighborhood is very diverse so i see people dressed in saris and whatnot and i think its awesome!

Tsk, where do you live so I can move there too? xD
And yeah, no worries, I plan to do just that ;) If I have to that is. LOL.

stardust760
02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
lol, san antonio, i remember wearing an outfit that closley resembled a school girl look, black knee highs,pleated skirt black shirt cute black wedges and i would actually get complements from alot of girls, its more of a complement when it comes from a girl cuz their faster to judge lol

but as durell says (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJ3iw2cqkU) dont be insecure girl! lol if you wanna look different remember to have the confidence to back it up, that's how trend setters get admired for their unique different styles while a timid person who dresses differently will be treated totally different.if you believe you look good others will to, idk how it works, probably something dealing with human psychology, but it does.

MidnightKitten
02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
lol, san antonio, i remember wearing an outfit that closley resembled a school girl look, black knee highs,pleated skirt black shirt cute black wedges and i would actually get complements from alot of girls, its more of a complement when it comes from a girl cuz their faster to judge lol

but as durell says (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJ3iw2cqkU) dont be insecure girl! lol if you wanna look different remember to have the confidence to back it up, that's how trend setters get admired for their unique different styles while a timid person who dresses differently will be treated totally different.if you believe you look good others will to, idk how it works, probably something dealing with human psychology, but it does.

Yes! Girls are faster to judge, and hell, if you look silly, they will tell you. Even if you don't wanna hear it >_> xD And actually, my sister had told me the same thing, so I guess 2 rights don't make a wrong. And it's strange too, because I'm the most confident out of my family, but when it comes to a place with lots of people in it, I don't know.. my confidence levels just go down a lot, and I feel silly even "trying" to wear what I want.

Durrell was so funny too, and yknow what's funnier? The same thing happened to me not too long ago, this black guy wouldn't leave me alone, and he was all like "Whats your name? Can I take you to the movies?" and just because it said "Baby Angel" on my teeshirt, he was like "Baby angel, can I take you somewhere?" I kept saying "Yknow... I gotta go man, I'm supposed to be somewhere." LOL. Damn, I hate straight forward guys like that. xD

stardust760
02-02-2011, 08:24 PM
you should have told him your 13 or something lol you make me wanna be dress different now... too bad its freezing this week and i have to layer up...

MidnightKitten
02-02-2011, 08:42 PM
you should have told him your 13 or something lol you make me wanna be dress different now... too bad its freezing this week and i have to layer up...

Well I was a still minor at the time :P
And yeah, it's supposed to be cold over here in Sacramento for a while as well, however there are a lot of cute ways to dress differently for the winter and summer times =) I actually get some of my ideas from this place:

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/women.html

stardust760
02-02-2011, 09:19 PM
no i mean like in the 20's cold, with wind, im used to really hot summers, not cold, for example today i wore tights, leggings and thigh high socks under jeans and a long sleeve shirt with two jackets, and i was still freezing!

cute outfits though. maybe when it warms up a bit.

MidnightKitten
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
no i mean like in the 20's cold, with wind, im used to really hot summers, not cold, for example today i wore tights, leggings and thigh high socks under jeans and a long sleeve shirt with two jackets, and i was still freezing!

cute outfits though. maybe when it warms up a bit.

Jesus Christ that's insane. I'm super sensitive to cold, so I'd probably get hypothermia... I'm from New York, and the winters there are insane too, however since I moved to Sacramento, the winters here are rain, clouds and 40 degrees. So I'm lucky. I'm sorry for you though =( And I'm glad you think they're cute. =)

stardust760
02-02-2011, 11:29 PM
im sorry for me too. lol i really really do not wanna go to classes tomorrow. but, maybe i can find a cute layered warm outfit for tomorrow i can find some motivation... bleh.. i wish they would just close the campus... i found this (http://blog.freepeople.com/missoni1.jpg) on accident and though its over the top it did inspire me a bit.

MidnightKitten
02-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Haha, yeah, that looks like it'll keep you warm enough for sure. That's really cute though, but I think this (http://www.koreanfashiononline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/winter_korean_fashion_04.jpg) is a great toned down version of that =) Cept the colors are a little more deep then the ones you posted.

stardust760
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
That is cute!

MidnightKitten
02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
yeah, and it's a lot simpler too =)

ToroSonyCat
02-26-2011, 12:11 PM
hope you saw this (http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7883/purtyhawt.png)

This can't be THAT costumey, can it?

"because I wouldn't do it, too much risk to the cosplay."
what do you mean by this exactly?:)

I know I'm kinda late but no, it doesn't seem costume-y in the way that you're wearing it in that drawing.

What I mean by "too much risk to the cosplay" is that wearing it all the time as normal clothing poses the a much larger threat of damaging it than just wearing it for conventions or photoshoots or the like.
I wouldn't want to risk ruining any of my cosplays by doing that.

MidnightKitten
02-26-2011, 05:18 PM
ah, i see, well yes, i agree. I sweat bullets about getting my skinny jeans dirty, so imagine how much i'd worry about the outfit! lol thanks though :)