PDA

View Full Version : Ciel in Wonderland fabric

cuchinta
01-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Hello all~

I'm kind of a new sewer (with a machine at least. I've hand-sewn a lot), but I've been cosplaying for a while. I recently got my own sewing machine and plan to sew a couple costumes for a con in the summer.

One of the costumes is my sister's Ciel Phantomhive -Alice- version from the Ciel in Wonderland OVA. Picture here (http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii388/cuchinta-chan/09.jpg)

I recently bought some crepeback satin. The color is pretty much exact to the one in the reference picture. Do you guys think this choice of fabric would be alright for this outfit?

What other fabrics do you guys suggest?

Any advice is appreciated ^^

shushuwafflez
02-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Crepe back satins are easy to use. I would recommend using the crepe side because once people start taking pictures, I find shinny fabrics really reflect light. It sometimes looks like a plastic bag if you don't be careful.

If you are looking for something with a shine, instead of shinny go for something with a shimmer. It photographs better. Something like a roselyn satin or duchess satin. The miss conception of satin is that they are all shinny but there are about 5 different satins with different grade of shine and weight.

If you are looking for something without shine, twills or suitings are always a great thing to use. I prefer cotton twills because they are easy to use and they breathe. You might want it to breathe if you are going to be in the costume on a really hot day. Commonly though if you ever do things like suits and school uniforms etc, any suiting always looks appropriate.

ycysusan2001
02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
I would love to suggest you to made it out of twill, but its super hard to find twill in baby blue color. I made mine with some type of polyester fabric. It is a bit hard to iron, but they with much more color choice.

liivingdeadgirl
03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Crepe-back satin wouldn't be a good choice. I LOVE crepe-back satin, but it isn't stiff enough to hold the shapes you need for the puffy sleeves or bloomers for wonderland ciel. It's just going to look limp and cling to your form. Crepe-satin is really flowy and drapey, and you need something a bit stiffer. It also frays like woah so you'd need to line it, flip under all your hems twice, or serge the edges. Like Ycy suggested, I would go with a lightweight twill, poplin, or a heavier cotton. I'm making this costume for a friend right now and am actually using stretch Sateen, it has about the same weight as cotton or poplin and is thin, but not see through so I won't have to line it.

Good luck!!

cuchinta
04-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Crepe-back satin wouldn't be a good choice. I LOVE crepe-back satin, but it isn't stiff enough to hold the shapes you need for the puffy sleeves or bloomers for wonderland ciel. It's just going to look limp and cling to your form. Crepe-satin is really flowy and drapey, and you need something a bit stiffer. It also frays like woah so you'd need to line it, flip under all your hems twice, or serge the edges. Like Ycy suggested, I would go with a lightweight twill, poplin, or a heavier cotton. I'm making this costume for a friend right now and am actually using stretch Sateen, it has about the same weight as cotton or poplin and is thin, but not see through so I won't have to line it.

Good luck!!

Wow, I totally am delayed with checking back on this thread too. I actually took your advice though and switched the fabric to stretch sateen. The fabric store had the exact color I wanted. Are you going to be using interfacing for your Alice Ciel cosplay?