PDA

View Full Version : Kyara Fes 4

kiratsukai
02-01-2011, 06:09 AM
5月21&22日キャラ★フェス4開催決定!
Website here (http://www.brsq.net/event-110521-22top.html)
May 21st and 22nd will be the next (and likely our last) Chara Fes.

Updated info: the event is indeed free and Day 2 is still in the Takamatsu shotengai. Day 1 has changed to a new location: Kotohira. No idea what will be available for photos there just yet.

It's our very favorite local event (in Takamatsu and Kotohira in Kagawa prefecture) and offers a rare chance to cosplay in public in Japan without harassment and use a ton of interesting photo locations in the process. Day one gives you access to stone lanterns, a run-down shotengai, a Kamakura era watchtower and a historical, functioning kabuki theatre. Day 2 gives us run of a small stretch of Takamatsu's busiest shotengai along with the ability to use the arcade, purikura boots, shop at Animate or sip tea at a cafe in costume. Music acts, a ranger show, a kareoke contest and modded cars are always happening nearby. There are also vendors selling original stickers, car decals, pillow covers, keychains, miku senbei (our own Kagawa tourism-product :P ) and other weird shit.

Last time a member of JAM Project, the singer of "Toginu no Chi"'s end theme, the artist who singe the "Dragonball" theme song and a mess of other actual anime musicians performed. Though if you want to watch performances, you really need to get there early and fight for it. Otherwise you're stuck listening to them only. The stage area fills up in a flash.

The atmosphere is more of an "otaku street carnival" than a usual cosplay event.

It's one of our very favorites and almost always the source of our best "set" photos.

If people would like to come down and take it in. Please take advantage of free lodging while it's still available :P We're headed back to the states for 6 months come July and when we do return, it's unlikely to be to Kagawa.

So:
Last call for Chara Fes!

Gallery of the last here: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/195880/

CelestialShadow
02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Put me down for it, im coming! im taking the 20th-24 off so I can join you, that is, if you will have me =)

kiratsukai
02-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Absolutely will ^^

RookBartly
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Full Metal Alchemist

Kiratsukai = Edward Elric
shortsheik = Winry
-Edo- = Alphonse Elric
RookBartly = Maes Huges
Rook's Coworker = State Alchemist (Maybe Heymans Breda)

-----------------------------------------------------

Are You Alice? R2

Kiratsukai = The White Rabbit
shortsheik = Marianne
RookBartly = The Mad Hatter
CelestialShadow = Alice?
Eisuke = Cheshire Cat (If Can Make It)

kiratsukai
03-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Just remember that Angie and I both have full-time jobs and work on the 20th and 23rd. You're more than welcome to stay longer and enjoy your own time in the area, but Angie and I will be wrangling teenagers from 8:30-4:15 and you're going to need to get yourself around and keep busy.

-Edo-
03-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Have to see, its a bit of a trip but looks like fun, from where I am I would probably get a hotel for one night. Found a video on it from last year here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OZcG6DZ1A8).

Put me down as a maybe for now. :juggler:

kiratsukai
03-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Oh jesus, Edo. If you hauled your big guns down you'd be an event in yourself. I don't think anyone in all of Shikoku has done any armors/mechs.

Though I'm not sure how it would work out logistically for a big costume/huge props on public transport. While the regulations are pretty lax, day two is a tighter, public area with more normal folks than geeks. If you intended to bring something big, it would definately be a good idea to ask ahead of time about if and make sure you'd have a place to change and not block off traffic on the 2nd day.

The first day (Marugame) I'm pretty sure would be totally fine. There was a Basara group last time with weapons as big as me >.< No one cared.

The event I went to in Marugame last Sat had a High School of the Dead group with mounted machineguns ^^

Usual props are totally cool with the exception of real blades, realistic handguns and other potentially confusing weapons in the business districts/shotengais. I imagine you can probably have them, but would be wisest not to take them out in public areas... wait until you're snapping photos out of the crowd.

There have been literally no rules in the past. Along with no sign-up and no fees... Might change, but it seems unlikely. The venues are both still in their cosplay-event infancy.

It's a pretty small/new event but it has a lot of money behind it and a very enthusiastic local support base.

mixaka
03-01-2011, 06:46 AM
I too am a maybe for this event. I've never been to Shikoku and it's on my list of places to visit. This would just make the visit more interesting! I would need to take a vacation day or two though but am not able to request days off until the new school year starts in April.

-Edo-
03-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Oh jesus, Edo. If you hauled your big guns down you'd be an event in yourself. I don't think anyone in all of Shikoku has done any armors/mechs.

Thanks! (^^; ) You'd be surprised though, armor enthusiasts hide in the woodwork, I met a guy at an event in Nagoya recently, he had been making armor for like 20 years and was telling me stories how cosplaying used to be back in the day.

Though I'm not sure how it would work out logistically for a big costume/huge props on public transport.

Its pretty portable, 2 duffel bags 18 kilos. Just bulky, but I've lugged it around enough. I think if I do go I will bring Alphonse from Full Metal Alchemist or something lighter. We'll see.
No weapon with Alphonse so that would make things easier.

There have been literally no rules in the past. Along with no sign-up and no fees... Might change, but it seems unlikely. The venues are both still in their cosplay-event infancy.

It's a pretty small/new event but it has a lot of money behind it and a very enthusiastic local support base.

That sounds cool! I always wanted to go to Takamatsu for Awa Odori but hey, that's the way things go. :burger:

RookBartly
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
If you do Alphonse. I sould bring a state Alchemist...

Masonkun
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I Might be down if I can get a costume by then

gixxer
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Owh man .. sounds really great ! im not sure if i will be able to come to japan around that time yet .. so i cant promise .. I wish i can go tho .. Sounds like an epic outting !

kiratsukai
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Updated with the website and to confirm dates.

There has been a major venue change!

Marugame isn't Day 1 ~ so no castle :(
Day 1 is instead Kotohira (famous for Konpira Shrine)... While it would be absolutely epic to be allowed to use the shrine, I imagine we probably won't be (it's a little too important and visible to let us all crawl around), if my suspicions are correct, we'll probably have access to a run-down shotengai a lot like the one in Marugame, an old watchtower belonging to the shrine and some bridges/crossings. But there aren't any venue maps up, so we'll see what happens :)

shortsheik
03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
The watchtower might be cool. Though I'm a little sad about missing out on the gardens. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to take a trip beforehand to the area to scope out what we'll have on hand? (Easier to do in civvies than when lugging costumes or wearing them for that matter.)

Kxela
03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
oh gwad that's far. Maybe for me- gotta do some planning :P
sounds like an awesome event.

RookBartly
03-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Thats a good idea shortsheik. Also I can bring stuff that will match the area well for photos.

Tsumanne
03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I've never been to Shikoku so this sounds like a great excuse to do so. I should definitely be able to make it.

Time to scheme up appropriate costumes. Unless someone has a group idea.

RookBartly
03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Its pretty portable, 2 duffel bags 18 kilos. Just bulky, but I've lugged it around enough. I think if I do go I will bring Alphonse from Full Metal Alchemist or something lighter. We'll see.
No weapon with Alphonse so that would make things easier.

Are you bringing Alphonse? If so, how big is it height wise? I think we sould totaly get a full FMA group together. I could do ANY state alchemist or military officer for it. Its a really popular series, easy for people to pull together, and you can have tons of state military charchters. I'm a little too tall for Edward but I think shortsheik would make a great Edward. I want to do Armstrong but I'm not nearly in shape for him. If anyone wants to do 'Scar' I would be happy to hook them with some really awesome scaring makeup.

Time to scheme up appropriate costumes. Unless someone has a group idea.

As far as I know there is one group which is the 'Are You Alice?" group getting together. Well, 2 maybe 3 people for it. I don't know for sure if everyone from the group is going to be there. Since we had quite a few at the last Winter Comiket. I'm bringing the Hatter for it but I am improving it from the last time since it was a quick pull together.

I want to bring my Kurogane (from Tsubasa) twiked / fixed abit. I have been wanting to get some great shots of it in a more traditional japanese settings then I can find around my side of Tokyo. Thats the problem of living in a large city, hard to get good settings for that type of character.

-Edo-
03-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Are you bringing Alphonse? If so, how big is it height wise? I think we sould totaly get a full FMA group together.

Yah, if I go I will bring Alphonse, leaning towards going. It doesn't have elevated boots but has a helmet so I get a little extra height 190 cm maybe? FMA sounds good, an Edward at least would rock.

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
I could do Edward without the automail... there's probably enough time to make/alter the inner pieces as long as I can buy the coat and gloves somewhere. But I've got no place to buy lionboard in Kagawa >.< So automail is kind of a pain in the ass.

I've seen enough tutorials that I could probably manage something ~ but not without mats. Gloved Ed ~ sure ^^ Angie'd be a cute Winry, but she's a bit shy about showing her stomach.

Edo, if you're definate to come, let me know as soon as possible so I can track down what I need.

Will probably change into another costume at some point in the day for some photos though. I have a ton I want to use and not a lot of time in which to use them :P

RookBartly
03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Anyone else down for some FMA? I have access to a miltiary clothing store so I can get some stuff to help people's FMA stuff. I'm using real military rank stars on mine and the like. gives it a bit of a less chezzy look. Would be happy to bring along some extra stuff if anyone wants.

RookBartly
03-11-2011, 06:30 AM
I could do Edward without the automail... there's probably enough time to make/alter the inner pieces as long as I can buy the coat and gloves somewhere. But I've got no place to buy lionboard in Kagawa >.< So automail is kind of a pain in the ass.

Your right about the pain in the ass. I have been wanting to make one for a while and did alot of templeting but never got anything I liked. I have issues with the hand... Ed always wears a glove when out and about anyway.

Angie'd be a cute Winry, but she's a bit shy about showing her stomach.
Well, Winry had several outfits that don't have bare midriff. Like the white shirt and blue skirt/jack thing she wears alot.

Will probably change into another costume at some point in the day for some photos though. I have a ton I want to use and not a lot of time in which to use them :P

I'm the same way. I got several I want to get some shots of. Tired of not having any decent pic of any of my cosplays other then Mad Hatter.

shortsheik
03-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Jess - didn't Jeremy wear an Edward costume? If he still has it, it might be worth seeing if it's re-sizable, if only to save on a bit of cash.

My tummy is fat now. >> It's been a long, cold winter huddling under my kotatsu.

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Jess - didn't Jeremy wear an Edward costume? If he still has it, it might be worth seeing if it's re-sizable, if only to save on a bit of cash.

Jeremy wore black sweats with white biasing tape double-sided taped on and a red borrowed labcoat :P

It worked awesomely for what it was... but it probably won't work for photos. Tantrip has male sizes left over from their Ed costume run that I might be able to work with for cheap (the bottoms will be too big though and the coat would need to be hemmed). No time for any customs. Coscute has a useable one in my size in stock... But again, I don't like the look of some pieces. Can fix what I need to with a trip to Animate and the craft store ^^/

shortsheik
03-11-2011, 06:57 AM
The things one misses when one is blind.... Didn't even notice.

I could possibly recycle Raimei's wig if I took out the twin tails. The rest of Winry's other outfit - white tank top, black skirt, black half-jacket - I might be able to find in Uniqlo/Shimamura, but I'd have to look about.

Tsumanne
03-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd be down for FMA. I've always wanted to cosplay a state alchemist uniform before.

kiratsukai
03-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Okay - Assuming folks really want to make FMA happen.

I have tracked down a useable wig and the costume pieces I need. All SHOULD arrive in time to make the deadline. Just give me the go ahead to bank transfer (^^)>

Angie -- I think we can make Winry out of thrift items and a trip to the craft store. Your Rin wig (the long one) will work too.

RookBartly
03-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Sweet. As it stands. FMA group consitits of.....

Kiratsukai = Edward Elric
shortsheik = Winry
-Edo- = Alphonse Elric
Tsumanne = State Alchemist -
RookBartly = State Alchemist : Since I wear glasses I can do Maes Huges

Hey Mixala, Celestalshadow, Masonkun, are you two wanting to join us? Since you have a white suit already Celestalshadow, Sof J. Kimbly maybe?

Anyone else getting in on this? We have villians right now.

mixaka
03-12-2011, 12:58 AM
If I can make it, I'd be happy to do Hawkeye. Not sure what other non-skin showing female characters there are in fma. Just found out I'll be teaching Elementary school full time next school year though. ES is sort of a nenkyu kiss of death. If I can't reschedule all the classes I may have on the days I need off, I'll have to show up for work.

kiratsukai
03-12-2011, 01:39 AM
If I can make it, I'd be happy to do Hawkeye. Not sure what other non-skin showing female characters there are in fma. Just found out I'll be teaching Elementary school full time next school year though. ES is sort of a nenkyu kiss of death. If I can't reschedule all the classes I may have on the days I need off, I'll have to show up for work.

Tis on a weekend, so if you can swing an "early release" on the Friday before or a day off on the Monday following you'd be in good shape for either the Saturday or the Sunday. I know my elems get out fairly early, so you might be able to get a half day on the Friday, come down for Sat, enjoy the party Sat night (Alice in Wonderland) then return on Sunday worst case scenario.

It's certainly an expensive single day and a stressful day before though :(

Tsumanne
03-14-2011, 09:36 AM
With a wig (my nemesis) I could probably pull off a decent Roy (6 foot on the more athletic side) although I'm game for any state alchemist gig. hmmm, are weapons ok? The state alchemists use 98K Mausers which I could bring. Not to mention for a second day gig I wouldn't mind bringing something that could use a real... commercial sword. I must make a distinction between the two.

Saturday night Alice party? As in tea? mwa ha, costume decided.

kiratsukai
03-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Ed is go. Costume and wig are ordered, apparently both are in-stock with no significant wait beyond earthquake BS.

Headed to Osaka this weekend. If there's time I'll try to get some wire, G-bond, enamel/vinyl and lionboard. With Street Festa off we might actually have a day free to figure out automail mats and get shiek set up as Winry (buy fabric/thrift)

Does anyone have the pocketwatch or know where I can get one cheaply?

RookBartly
03-16-2011, 03:08 AM
I ordered a pocket watch about a week before the Quake. Once mail lines open back up, you can use it. Since I will more then likely be Maes Hughs. Figured since I wear glasses and I have a huge goofy smiles anyway, it would work. Anyway, if it arrives you can borrow it.

Tsumanne: what 'are you alice?' you looking at?

I posted a 'group list on the first page of the thread in my old post. I also posted the Are You Alice? list up too. If anychanges let me know.

CelestailShadow: Is your hubby coming? If so, is he bringing Ches? He totaly should be Greed / Lin Yao!

RookBartly
03-20-2011, 04:50 AM
One of my co-workers wants to also go. He is trying to get the time from work. But he is planing to do a random State Alchemist.

kiratsukai
03-21-2011, 07:28 AM
To all: Everyone's certainly welcome to invite whoever they want along. Just keep in mind that shiek and I are women and live alone in incredibly judgemental neighborhoods in a country that likes to jump to conclusions when it comes to male guests.

If we know you, it's okay to stay with one of us. But we can't be taking in guys we've never met before. Its just not something we're comfortable doing. If you're inviting along friends or groups of your own, we can help you find a cheapish hotel, but we can't put you all up :/

Women ~ yes!
Husbands ~ yes!
Guys we know well ~ sure, but behave.
Dude friends ~ sorry, no-can-do.

Also perhaps a concern: shiek lives an hour and a half 800 yen train ride each way from Takamatsu and even farther from Kotohira where Day 1 will be held. If you're interested in sightseeing in Takamatsu (Sunport, Ritsurin Park, Tamamo Park, etc.) or don't want to spend much time in transit, it would be best to get a hotel in Takamatsu for Friday and if you need it Sunday and come out to shiek's for the party and a sleepover on Sat night.

I live in Takamatsu but can only put up 2 people max due to space concerns. Let me know if you need a spot on my floor ^^ Tis small, but tis convenient.

RookBartly
03-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Was planing on getting a hotel if he comes. I know you are cramped on space and prob don't want people u don't really know to crash there.

-Edo-
03-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Ed is go.

-Edo- is go.

Unless something crazy happens, Im in, prolly train with Alfonse n' grab a hotel. Try to talk friends in Osaka to come down.

RookBartly
03-24-2011, 06:39 AM
We sould prob get same hotel or close near by. Will make things easier for getting everyone/thing together to go. kiratsukai, can you help this?

RookBartly
03-25-2011, 03:39 AM
You sould totaly do Ed's bat with the eyes and hair on its end!

I just introduced a friend from work to FMA and I saw it on the first ep of Brotherhood.

kiratsukai
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Okies:

I have a base costume and styled wig for Ed ready to go. I need to tweak a few things though. I can't find the lionboard I need to make automail so at this stage I'm going to be down to hand-only in the event I can find it (though that's the only part that will stick out of the costume). I still need the pocketwatch, contacts and boots.

I also have Ciel in Wonderland ready to go and am thinking of wearing that at the Alice party and for half of our Are You Alice day... if only because it would be fun to get some photos across-series.

Thinking of doing two costumes each day (total of 4) but a lot depends on what I can logistically pack and what everyone else is wearing.

Tsumanne
03-29-2011, 02:04 AM
Mmkay, I'm going ahead with Roy for FMA.
The only costume I have that is half appropriate for a tea party is Sebastian from Black Butler. I can always remove the coat to be less obvious and fill people's tea cups. I have talent for standing off to the side and looking semi-professional lol.

Though this does mean I must finally bite the bullet and start using wigs. I know jack squat about hair (my solution to life's hair problems is to cut it off) so any recommendations for obtaining a Roy and Sebastian wig would be appreciated.

shortsheik
03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Okay, so here's the thing.

Winry's default costume? This? http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ci59_L45Z88/TNBhk2f2ioI/AAAAAAAAOsE/4WwNVO0j7nE/Fullmetal.Alchemist.154646.jpg

NOT HAPPENING. Not with my tummy pudge.

So, my plan was to do this one, which came up as the most frequent alternate costume on a google search and which most of I could pick up in thrift/cheap stores: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/51/221/winry01.jpeg

However, Kira has pointed out that this costume is from the second series, which most people are not as familiar with. She's concerned that people won't recognize/identify the character. Which leaves me unsure as to what to do at this point.

In any case, I shall certainly be attending, but Winry's status is less certain.

kiratsukai
03-29-2011, 06:21 PM
However, Kira has pointed out that this costume is from the second series, which most people are not as familiar with. She's concerned that people won't recognize/identify the character. Which leaves me unsure as to what to do at this point.

I don't think people are any less familiar with the second than the first (I only meant that I didn't know the first thing about the 2nd, since I've only seen about 5 episodes of it total so I can't say for certain how often which costumes get busted out :P ).

My point was that the costume itself is a lot less iconic. If you didn't go all out on the wig and stick to the group like glue it would be difficult for people to recognize you as a character rather than someone in their regular casual clothing.

I think if you did an awesome job on the few details there are: the boots and the wig, it will work alright.

Tsumanne
03-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Maybe the 2nd season version might be less obvious alone, but when standing next to an Ed, giant Alphonse, and a bunch of State Alchemists then even someone who isn't familiar with the second season would see long blond hair and still quickly default to Winry.

It's kind of like guys and school uniforms. 90% of school animes use a gakuran or black pants white shirt. Even with a wig no one is going to know which character is being cosplayed. But if standing next to a female character from the same show then everyone knows exactly who's being cosplayed.

Winry is more obvious than that and there will be group, so I don't think there will be any problem using the second season version.

RookBartly
03-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I think that Winry will work fine. Winry did wear that outfit in the first (original series). She wore it when she went to Central and the whole time around before/after Maes Hughs dies.

Tsumanne: I might have a wig you can use for Roy. Like you I don't know the first thing about hair. I have to ask for help all the time also.

kiratsukai
04-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Progress:

Ed Testshots:http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/tsuraramai/edtest.jpg
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/tsuraramai/testshot2.jpg

The satin lining on the coat is showing but it hasn't yet been ironed to lay correctly. Once it's been ironed out it should lay without the lining showing.

In progress:
-pocketwatch on order
-knuckles for automail made... waiting on lionboard (ordered), I have enamel, Gbond, and a base glove.

To do:
-shoes

Automail news: I only have time/resources to make a hand (which is all that will show from under the coat... I have two white gloves and will be able to swap one hand out with the automail hand for certain shots. No arm unless something changes... though I DO have the undershirt and could wear a full arm if someone lends one, rents us one or comes across one cheap. Let me know if you have a potential lead. I ~don't~ want to have to ship the arm home, so I'd be using it for one event only and then either returning it or trying to sell it -- nothing over 2 man ^^;;;

RookBartly
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Looking good! I can't wait to see the 'hand' when its done.

kiratsukai
04-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Closest thing I could find (http://www.cosplay-eyes.com/products/detail.php?product_id=43) to yellow without crazy animal print or scary no-pattern effect.

kiratsukai
04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Good news:

The rules are out and there appear to be no restrictions on long props and armor.

Bad news:

No guns or anything shaped like guns. Sorry boys :(

mixaka
04-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Sadly, I'm not going to be able to make this. My new school situation just won't allow for any time off. I hope everyone has fun!

kiratsukai
04-11-2011, 04:57 PM
:( Aww, we'll miss you mixaka, but it can't be helped.

I've found an automail arm 2nd hand that's pretty much exactly my size for what it would cost me to have it made domestically :P Provided it works out -- I should have three hand variations: the full arm for coat-off shots, the hand for coat-on, glove-off and the gloves. Yellow contacts are proving difficult... but everything else is shaping up.

CelestialShadow
04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
No guns???? Crapola, does that mean Alice is out?

Tsumanne
04-13-2011, 01:52 AM
The new school schedule just kicked me in the balls so I'm out ><;
Sadly it's looking like cosplay is going to be on hold until Wonder Festival in July for me.

kiratsukai
04-13-2011, 03:10 AM
The guns can still come out at the party. They just can't come out on the street :(

Tsumanne: that TOTALLY sucks X< Probably won't get to see you again T-T

Happier news: 2 gaijin photographer friends of mine (and possibly another professional) have RSVPed for the event and take badass pictures with ridiculously nice equipment. They've not done cosplay events before but are keen to get photos at Kyara Fes. Also have a new friend from Slovenia and some local friends gearing up to give cosplay a shot (a Canadian fellow I've cosplayed with before at a Halloween event and one or two other American ALTs). Should be plenty of English going down and new people to meet. I'll try to lure my stilted-English-speaking Japanese cosplay friends to mingle too.

Am going to do my damndest to make it worthwhile for anyone who comes out ^^

If anyone has (female or smallish dude) friends coming along with them who would like to borrow costumes ~ put them in contact with me. If I can, I'll set them up. But I need to know in advance before I send stuff home. Flooding my small city with foreigners in costume is a pretty hilarious idea -- I likes it. If I can contribute to it happening: I absolutely will *thumbs up*

For those looking for lodgings, I recommend the Takamatsu Dormy Inn:
http://www.jalan.net/uw/uwp3000/uww3001.do?yadNo=373424&keyword=%E9%AB%98%E6%9D%BE&pointIconDisplayFlg=1&encodedKeyword=%258D%2582%258F%25BC&stayYear=2011&stayMonth=04&stayDay=14&dateUndecided=1&minPrice=0&maxPrice=999999&rootCd=7701

It's clean, comfortable, newish and has a decent little onsen and a killer breakfast for 3,000-6,000 yen a night (depending on the date and room). Good location too.

shortsheik
04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Tsumanne and mixaka: Aw, that really sucks. T_T We'll miss you both tons. Probably won't be able to see you guys again before we leave as Kira said, so make sure you both take care and keep in touch occasionally via the wonders of the interwebs.

No luck has been had on Winry, but I've been doing my best to get my house cleaned up a bit. Packed up several boxes and shipped them home, which hasn't made near as much as a difference as I'd hoped. *le sigh* Tons of tea party decorations and goods sitting in my closet for the mad tea party though, not to mention the new light in my living room!

Those of you crashing here, please don't worry about blankets, towels, etc, as I have plenty.

kiratsukai
04-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Potentially good news for those with Japanese-style costumes or creative streaks -- an EXTREMELY cool location has just opened up for an event on the day of Kyara Fes. Entry is an extra 500 yen (300 if you aren't in costume), but it gives you a chance to shoot photos in the oldest intact kabuki theatre in southern Japan... Hanging lanterns, a full stage, tatami box seating and access to the drop-down backstage area. Lots of stone and wooden walls to shoot with too.

We went to the same group's garden event recently and it was killer.

It is in the same neighborhood as Kyara Fes and since Kyara Fes is free to attend (with only a minimal changing fee) it's entirely feasable to do both in one day.

Event page: http://cosview.masa-mune.jp/kanamaruza.html
Views of the theater: http://cosview.masa-mune.jp/lview_kanamaruza.html

RookBartly
04-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Sorry to hear that you all can't make it mixala and Tsumanne. I'll take alot of pics for ya'll. Ok, I updated the character list on the 1st page. I have another co-worker that might come along as well but is depending on being able to get time off of work.

CelestialShadow - Is your other half coming? If so, what character is he doing if any?

Kira, thanks for the hotel info. I'm trying figure out the rooms now.

kiratsukai
04-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Automail is here... and with it, Ed's entire ensemble is assembled. Waiting on shoes for Ciel... then should be golden.

I need to resize the automail and repair it... as it was sold to me without disclosing some damage and larger than advertised ^^;;; Still ~ it's fixable and it's going to work. I just need about 3 hours, some scissors, thread and a gluegun.

CelestialShadow
04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
looks like everything is going together pretty good Kira!

Well its almost may and I need to figure out how I am getting down to your area. What method of transportation do you recommend and if anyone else is planning to go down on friday do you all want to travel in a group?

I am thinking of taking the shinkansen just because its fast and convenient though not cheap. If anyone is willing to take the night bus on thursday night i am willing to do that too but id rather travel with someone as i am very prone to getting lost by myself....

What chya all say?

CelestialShadow
04-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Eisuke was nice enough to do some research on travel expenses for me so here is what he came up with.

All of these leave from tokyo station btw.

Bullet Train to Kagawa: 40000¥v roundtrip
over night train leaving thursday may 19th at 10pm: 30000¥ roundtrip
Overnight bus leaving same time as over night train (10 hr trip): around 8000¥ ONE WAY so around 20000¥ roundtrip

frankly I love to save money so the bus is good for me but I think the overnight train would be the most comfortable (you can lay down and sleep) does anyone want to travel with me and what way do you want to go?

If we take any of the overnight methods we will end of in Kagawa around 7 am ish.

kiratsukai
04-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Celeste> Assuming you folks will be arriving in Takamatsu, I can take the morning off and meet you guys, get you to my place to leave luggage and have a base to operate out of for the day. I need to head to work, but we can get coffee/breakfast I think and I should be able to get three hours off to meet a guest.

I'm planning to just give you guys an extra key for the day since I have one on-hand. My apartment is in walking distance of Ritsurin Garden (probably the most beautiful garden in Kagawa) so I can point you in the right direction for that too. Also in walking distance: a huge shopping plaza with plenty of restaurants, shops, etc.

I also have "Final Fantasy XIII" in English if you like.

I should get back from work around 4:30, if people are down -- we can go to Shin, a good izakaya nearby.

Not sure where you guys wanted to stay, but if you want to stay at mine for the first night (out of convenience) and then head out to Angie's the following day with me, that's probably the cheapest scenario ^^

shortsheik
04-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Celeste - I HIGHLY recommend the night train. It should cost you about 24000 for a round trip ticket with the nobi nobi seats. If you want to stay at mine, you can purchase an express ticket from Takamatsu to Hiketa at the same time and save about 200 yen. Not much, but every bit helps, right?

It leaves Tokyo at 8 and gets into Takamatsu at 7:30-ish. Excellent site on it here (http://jprail.com/destinations/sunrise-seto.html) (just keep in mind the fares listed are for those with the JP Rail pass - normal fare for the nobi nobi seats is about 12000 yen).

MUCH more comfortable than the bus. So much more.

My place is further away than Jess but larger. I have a half day on that Friday, so I'll be off as early as 11 to do whatever with you, and we can meet up with Jess together.

On the cosplay front, I don't think Winry will be happening. T_T I haven't had any luck finding pieces for it yet. I do have Seychelles from Hetalia, and with any luck, Okita from Gintama arriving soon. Sorry.

kiratsukai
04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Perhaps vital commute information ~

Takamatsu - Hiketa ~ by slow train (JR) is about 1.5 hours and 800 yen. Fast train is under an hour for 1300ish(?) each way. 25 minute walk to Angie's house.

Takamatsu - Sanjo (my stop) ~ (Kotoden). 180 yen, 15 minutes. 5 minute walk to my apartment.

Takamatsu - Kotohira (day 1 event area) ~ (Kotoden) about an hour for about 600 yen each way. My apartment is on the Kotoden line so it cuts out about 15 minutes and doesn't require a transfer.

Perhaps vital space information ~

Angela has a house. I have a room. If you want space, you will not find it at my apartment ^^;;; I may also have Yuusuke staying at mine.

If that's the case, Yuusuke and I may end up staying at my neighbor's place for that one night to give you guys more space. It isn't really a problem, but it's definately a shuffle that doesn't need to be made if you stay at Angie's.

In short: if you can deal with close quarters for a night -- staying at mine on day 1 will save you 2,000-3,000 yen in commuting fees and 2-3 hours of travel. (If no one is staying at Angie's that night, she could probably stay at Matt's and save herself the time and money it would cost going back out to Hiketa after Shin, too. More money for chu-hi.)

If you spend the money and take the time -- you get your own room and a cool place to relax.

I have reverted to real names... but what the hell, we're all friends here.

Cosplay-curious Neighbor thinks Shin is a splendid idea and is down for that, too. Though if the boys (and their friends) are staying in central Takamatsu and want to join in we can always go to Zawatami instead -- cheaper and closer for them. But we need to make a reservation for a big group -- so let us know ^^/

shortsheik
04-27-2011, 07:33 AM
As Kira said, all of the above. (Thanks for breaking it down so well! <3)

I'm cool with either of the above options. I'd need to check with Matt re. crashing at his if we do that, but it's probably fine. Again, I have that half day and can meet up with you, be it in Hiketa or Takamatsu.

kiratsukai
04-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Did you boys find hotels alright?

CelestialShadow
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
i made the mistake of putting in a work schedule for thursday evening so the soonest i can hop anything overnight ish will be around 9pm because i have to walk from otemachi to tokyo station =(

this may change as it gets closer but so far my lessons for that day are already booked.

I hope they have a night train that leaves later than 9pm or im screwed.

kiratsukai
04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
i made the mistake of putting in a work schedule for thursday evening so the soonest i can hop anything overnight ish will be around 9pm because i have to walk from otemachi to tokyo station =(

this may change as it gets closer but so far my lessons for that day are already booked.

I hope they have a night train that leaves later than 9pm or im screwed.

Usually the "night" rides leave at 9 or 10. You should be alright.

CelestialShadow
04-27-2011, 11:46 PM
well then night train it is then =)
I will book my ticket tonight if I can!

I think I will just go straight to Angelas since space is an issue and im sure im bringing one big ass luggage with me.

So Sheik, can you meets me at the station whenever you are free?

Tenshi0080
04-28-2011, 03:07 AM
i am so upset that i will make it to japan after this is over (T.T)

shortsheik
04-28-2011, 06:17 AM
If you can get to Hiketa station by yourself, it won't be any problem. It's pretty easy - you should even be able to buy the ticket from Takamatsu to Hiketa at the same time you get the one for the night train (with a small discount). You'll change trains at Takamatsu station -- the train to Hiketa will be either platform 1,2, or 3.

I don't know my work schedule that Friday, but I can get off as early as 11 or even earlier if need be so long as I can tell my teacher beforehand.

RookBartly
05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I got hotel.

shortsheik
05-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Kogasa and Okita both arrived. Okita needs to be hemmed, shoes (black boots or boot like shoes), and a wig, buuuuuuuuuut if I can get those things quickly, he'll be perfect for Kotohira Kyrafest.

Kogasa's wig needs to be cut and her whole umbrella needs to be done, which I think will take longer than the couple of weeks we have. However, Tadase (Shugo Chara), Seychelles (Hetalia), and Ange (Umineko) are both ready for whatever, as of course is Marianne.

kiratsukai
05-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Angie: do you still have your Cosrevo Rin? I was thinking of pulling Len out at Takamatsu Kyara Fes just for old time's sake. Was our first costume at our first event... might be fun to make it one of our last, too.

If not, tis kewl. Was going to do Amu and Kida in Tak plus one more. Can bring Miku out again.

shortsheik
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Jess: You're in luck as I do! It was in the box to be shipped that couldn't be because I forgot Friday was a national holiday!

Weren't we going to bring out Alice for one last fling then though? In any case, we really should sort what's being worn where. I definitely want to whip out Okita for Kotohira. Going to try and find a wig for him tomorrow at Animate.

kiratsukai
05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I dunno.

I thought Edo could only come for one day (Saturday), but Ed goes with him. If that's Sat, my 2nd costume would probably be Mokou ~ because it smushes down and will fit the theatre better than anything else I have...

Alice we can either do out or in at the party ^^ It's up to everyone else... though I'm not 100% certain the bunnypants will fit my balooning buttocks. I'll try them tomorrow.

CelestialShadow
05-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Hey I can make you another pair of shorts =)
I have a bunch of extra black fabric and zippers. Just send me your updated measurements.

I thought it would be funny to do are you alice for the train ride thingy you posted =P

RookBartly
05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
That would be cool! I'm down for the train 'Are You Alice?' if yall are.

CelestialShadow
05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
my moment of truth is coming tomorrow, i need to pick up my visa extension but i did not get a confirmation in the mail =(

If they dont have it for my when i get to immigration tomorrow I am royally effed and wont be attending ANY cosplay events in Japan anytime soon as I will be getting my bum deported....

I will keep you posted. It could be delayed because of the recent mass exodus out of Japan or I may have accidently (though not likely) threw away the confirmation mail without realizing i had received it.

kiratsukai
05-09-2011, 03:28 AM
@Celeste: meep. I didn't realize you were in any danger of deportation. Thought the Japanese husband would have you in the clear for sure. Though if it doesn't work out, you can actually leave the country for a weekend (Korea is cheap) and hop back on a brand new 90 day tourist visa, which should give you long enough to sort out your more permanant one (as long as you left before the first visa was expired).

Though I had my passport renewed last month and was getting anxious about not hearing back and I just got the whole thing in the mail back rather than any sort of notice that it had been accepted or declined. I actually got it a lot earlier than I expected with the foreigners leaving the country, too.

It will probably work out for the best. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Though if everyone is going to pull out, we need to know sooner rather than later... We've already spent a couple hundred bucks, about 15 hours on prep and have let our Japanese friends know we have foreign friends coming. This could stand to be both embarassing and expensive for us if no one shows. Worst case scenario: we need time to do damage control and find some other way to get our money's worth out of all the prep we've already done/avoid doing more ^^;;;

Hate to be all passive aggressive, but if people start cancelling next Monday -- 困る!

shortsheik
05-09-2011, 07:32 AM
What Kira said, more or less.

If it really can't be helped then, well, it can't be helped. Shit happens. But we've both cancelled sports days and school events in order to free up our schedules. We've bought decorations and supplies, backgrounds and lighting, and re-decorated a good portion of my house. All that and it is our last big event. We'd really like to share it with you guys.

So, basically, if you must cancel, we will understand, but we will be very, very sad pandas.

CelestialShadow
05-09-2011, 07:35 AM
im coming regardless, my visa expires may 27th so i still have time to get it sorted out. Im just REEAAAALLLLY hoping to get it done sooner than later because it will mess up my work contract with Gaba if I dont. I went through the whole process last month so Im waiting for the post card that says `come pick it up` but i never got it =(, I will go tomorrow and check it out and see whats up.

CelestialShadow
05-09-2011, 07:37 AM
BTW do you want me to bring my muslin background and blue/black checkered one?

kiratsukai
05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
BTW do you want me to bring my muslin background and blue/black checkered one?

We'll probably be alright. We have a black and white checkered background pinned up and will be grabbing some foam tiles or a checkered carpet to use as a flooring piece for the photo area. Have oversized cards and some card houses built for props... will also have the kitchen set up like a mad tea party.

Between that and general needing-to-sleep between event days ~ we probably have plenty for photos without you needing to drag anything but yourself and your costumes down :)

I'll have to ask you for those pants though. I have been quite bad (and wearing skirts so as not to notice how bad). My widest hip (actually thigh) is about a 98 while my waist is unhappily pushing 70 :(

shortsheik
05-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Hey Rook! I just got a Full Metal Alchemist pocket watch in my lucky bag. Need one? It can be yours for only 2000 yen!

CelestialShadow
05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Got my visa!!!!!!!!! *does the happy dance* Okay I am set, buying my train ticket now =)

CelestialShadow
05-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Okay got my ticket for the sunrise seto! I hope you dont mind but I will stay until monday and take the monday night train to return.

From takamatsu station what train do I take and what direction?

shortsheik
05-11-2011, 03:54 AM
No problem at all!

From Takamatsu station don't exit. (You shouldn't need to anyways.) Just walk to the opposite platform - trains to Hiketa are on 1, 2, and 3. There are expresses and slow trains. Did you get a ticket through to Hiketa or only to Takamatsu?

CelestialShadow
05-11-2011, 12:13 PM
no i just got the seto tickets =(, i didnt know i could buy them together...oh well, it got them and thats what counts!

Would either you or kira have a medium long (shoulder length) dark brown wig I could style and barrow? I have a Mirando Lotto (d gray man) costume i havent worn yet i just dont have a wig for it and would rather purchase Alice`s pistol than a wig =P I have to pick and choose what i want carefully until payday....

If not then its no big deal.

shortsheik
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I have one but I already cut and styled for another character that I'm going to be doing in the next month. It's longer than what you need and since I'm using it for Seychelles, it can't be cut down more than it is. ^^;; Sorry.

You can buy a ticket at the station or on the train, but since you didn't buy them together, you'll probably want the cheaper (if longer) slow train.

kiratsukai
05-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Afraid I don't :(

CelestialShadow
05-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Do you either of you have a curling iron?

kiratsukai
05-13-2011, 03:13 AM
No curling iron. Just a flat one :/ I think shiek has one though. If she doesn't, we can find one to bum locally.

RookBartly
05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
I got a watch already. thanks for the offer. My friend won't be able to make it but another is coming in his place and she is finishing up her Lust.

kiratsukai
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I need numbers for the train, Alice Party on Sat night and for the dinner after on Sunday so I can make reservations this week. Here's who I have ~confirmed~ so far:

Train

shortshiek
kiratsukai
CelestialShadow
RookBartly +1

Alice Party

shortshiek
kiratsukai
CelestialShadow
RookBartly +1

After Party/Dinner

shortshiek
kiratsukai
CelestialShadow
Mike (IRL friend, crossplayer)
Kayla (IRL friend, new cosplayer)
RookBartly +1
111 (Japanese cosplayer) + 1 friend/kameko
Kana (Japanese cosplayer)
Remu (Japanese cosplayer)
Oshibori + friend (Mike's students, new Japanese cosplayers)

Hopefully all of the lists will grow a bit before all is said and done. But I need to know about Rook, Rook's friend, Edo, and Eisuke from the folks here before I move forward.

RookBartly
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Show me down for train, Alice, and After Part. She is down for all as well.

shortsheik
05-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Okay, cool Rook. We gotcha.

Also, yes, I have a curling iron. No worries there! I don't have Styrofoam wig head although I do have a wig stand.

kiratsukai
05-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I need a name for your friend on the train, Rook.

CelestialShadow
05-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Eisuke wont be coming =(

I did get the wig for Miranda but not the gun for Alice because ACOS was sold out of the snub nose pistol i wanted =(

Oh well i wouldnt be able to carry it around anyway...

But I did get the wig so I can bring an extra costume =D
Just need a curling iron to style it.

kiratsukai
05-15-2011, 08:48 AM
LAST SPURT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OZcG6DZ1A8
Kyara Fes on tv last year (the sort of atmosphere to expect)

And here's the background we set up today in a test shot:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2930658/

We have a photo-appropriate stool, oversized cards, some old hardcover books, etc. to use as props. The light could be better, but we're going to keep tinkering with it. Going to get a few more floor tiles too so we can use more of the floor for shots.

shortsheik
05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
If the background is too busy, we have a good deal of a plain, off-white muslin. One of them we're planning on using as a tablecloth for the mad tea party set-up. We may use both, but I think we could quite easily sling one up over the checkered pattern for a plainer background.

However, I really like the checks myself!

CelestialShadow
05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I have some fake cupcakes i can bring too if you want. I think the background is perfect =)

I have to go white pants hunting tomorrow. Uniclow changed their stock....stupid season rotations....

-Edo-
05-16-2011, 01:14 AM
I like the sounds of the Kyara-den but 9 am Saturday morning means I will need to wake up at an ungodly hour here so I will take the Kyara-den on the way back. Too bad there's only one a day!

I'll stay the 2 days and go with your Dormy Inn recommendation kiratsukai, I guess that's close to everything?

Have we determined which day we'll do FMA? Saturday, Sunday or both days?

The Tea party is Saturday night? I guess I will be there but wont have anything tea party appropriate. I could do Hetaria Canada but that's not necessarily tea partyish.

The after party/dinner is on Sunday? If I'm taking the Kyara-den back on Sunday I'll miss that I suppose.

CelestialShadow
05-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Okay i have to post this here, apparently some evangelist group in the USA claims that the rapture will happen on may 21 2011, I dont believe it for one moment and I think that these people and their leader are total crackpots.

Anyway they have thousands of people in their camp, im not joking thousands of people think that the rapture will happen on that day, forget 2012, comets of doom, astroids and alien invasions!

Lets make sure we PARTY HARDY on Saturday the 21st and go out with a bang cosplay style!

May 21st is going to be a happening day!

(for those who done know I identify myself religiously and a christian and do believe in a rapture/armageddon but trust me, may 21st is NOT it. infact the bible strictly states that "no man knows the day or the hour.") Regardless, lets all have a blast =D

kiratsukai
05-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I can't think of a better group of people with whom to spend the End of Days ^^

For Edo> Kyara Den only runs on the first day from Takamatsu to Kotohira and back. The second day of the event is in Takamatsu proper, so it won't require a train ride at all.

I had thought you'd only be able to come on Saturday, so I had planned FMA for that day (there's a bit more space for Alphonse in that area, too). Though I'm perfectly fine with swapping FMA and Shugo Kyara if you want more attention for the group. I'm pretty flexible as to what-for-when.

The area is having quite a few Sports Days that Saturday which are keeping younger folks away from the Kotohira event, including half of the cosplayers and all of my students. There are currently 23 cosplayers and photographers RSVPed for Kotohira (http://www.cosp.jp/event_info.aspx?id=18294), though there are about 40 additional cosplayers (http://www.cosp.jp/event_info.aspx?id=18206) going to the kabuki event, some of whom I suspect will head over the Kyara Fes when they finish.

Day 2 is lingering around 60 (http://www.cosp.jp/event_info.aspx?id=18303). It will be the busier day in the more populous area... it will also be in a narrower venue.

Scheduled attendance for all three events should bump up in this last week before the events go on. Quite a few people who don't rsvp show up, too.

I'm going to double check with my friend on staff about Alphonse. There's nothing in the rules against it as far as I've read, but I really doubt anyone's expecting something that big in Takamatsu shotengai ;P

Kotohira is probably a better place for big stuff logistically... but doing it in Takamatsu would save you having to carry everything for an hour each way.

As for the tea party ~ wear something dapper. We accept Christmas sweaters and funky hats. As long as no one looks boring, we'll all live :3 Photos are happening, but for the most part it's meant to be a relaxing social event sandwiched between busy-ness. The dress code's pretty relaxed.

Final Performance Schedule (Sat) (http://www.brsq.net/cf/stage/index.html)
Final Performance Schedule (Sun) (http://www.brsq.net/cf/stage/images/tt_22.pdf)

Kagawa Ani-song is actually quite good and worth watching if you can get anywhere near them.

NOTE: the event has been extended to 7:00pm on Sunday (a two hour bump). SSSelf, our local club-event is putting on a mini-rave... *blinks* I have ~NO~ idea how they'll manage the space they have, but the changing room seems to be open until 7:30 if people are keen to stay for it or want dusk photos. We need to keep this in mind when making plans to eat. When does everyone need to be on their trains back?

If people would rather stay out and in costume until the end, we can re-think the after and go to 3 Little Pigs (a yummy local sandwich and sweets shop within the cosplay-ok area) for some delicious eats to enjoy in the courtyard outside with everyone. On the up-side, no reservations necessary and the younger cosplayers attending can save money (it's hard for them to afford a meal out).

It always blows my mind how much sheer effort goes into Kyara Fes. People bust their butts every year to make it into a bigger deal than any of us think a local event could really possibly be. But that effort really does show. I promise it'll be fun.

shortsheik
05-16-2011, 06:41 AM
I promised one of my students pictures today, so we really should get our butts into on of the puricura booths in the shotengai at some point on the second day.

Also, Kira, thought -- we should really do Rin and Len last on Sunday. Bright yellow, difficult-to-remove nailpolish and all that.

My last train isn't until 11-ish, so no worries about time. Also, thinking of taking at least Monday morning off, so I'll be able to see Celeste off.

CelestialShadow
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
COSPLAYER CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOES ANYONE NEED THEM????

Im making myself a new set (ran out at the ff event)
so if anyone else needs some let me know. I will make prints and then kinko copy the suckers.
Please donate funds for ink you want some, whatever donation you feel is fair is okay.

Is there a kinkos in town there?

kiratsukai
05-17-2011, 05:43 AM
I don't think we have a kinkos but there's at least one place in the shotengai advertising color copies for 100 yen a sheet. Don't know if they do it on photo paper though...

And I DO need cards -- I'm flat out.

I still have some of Hope left, but Flan and Konoe are gone.
Would also like to get some of the White Rabbit, Miku, Ciel, and/or Len.

My highest res photos are on cosp.jp. Make me four or 5 sheets of different characters n I'll pay you back or grab your dinner tab.

And we are officially clear to have Alphonse in either Kotohira or Takamatsu:

"こんばんわ~^^
衣装の件ですが、その衣装でしたら高松・琴平のどちらも大丈夫だと思いますよ
ただ大きめということなので移動等には気をつけてイベントを楽しんでください♪"

shortsheik
05-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes to cards! I don't think I have any of Marianne, but I don't think I have really nice photos for her yet either. If any of those test shots of Okita came out well, then I'd like to get some of him since I'll be wearing that costume. Would also like some of Rin to go with Jess' Len, and maybe of Konpaku as well.

No luck on getting a long table for photo shoots. I have a short table and a smaller, longer table, but there's no way to set them up together sadly. T_T

-Edo-
05-17-2011, 08:29 AM
...Saturday, so I had planned FMA for that day...
FMA for Sat is good, I should be able to get down at around 11ish so catch up with you whereever you are.

...Kyara Den only runs on the first day...
Ah OK, the train schedule is only for one day well I would love to see it, work it out when we are there.

...about Alphonse. There's nothing in the rules against it as far as I've read...
The costume should be alright, its pretty mobile, there are others that are virtually immovable. If they have any rules about large costumes we'll have to work with them.

Cards would be cool, I only have lame cards. How do we go about making them?

CelestialShadow
05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Will do, kira and sheik! ( Kira just grab me dinner and we`ll call it even. Sheik, since im using your house then please accept the cards in exchange for rooming me )

Oh yeah oh yeah, do you want me to bring and wine or goodies?????? I can grab something in Tokyo station on the way out if you want something =)

Edo, send me a photo and your cosplay info to and I will make you a set. Donate whatever you feel is fair for them, I also accept food and snacks in exchange lol.

Sheik are you on cure cosplay at all????

-Edo-
05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that CelestialShadow, I have your e-mail address saved if you'd like to remove it from the thread go ahead. Making cards can cost a bundle so I'll bring something of equal or greater value to compensate.

Ah, I just got off the phone with Goldy, he's coming down too with a friend Tomi. I told them that if they wanted to attend the tea party they would need something funky so he is considering funkiness. They are going to be driving down 10 hours from Tokyo D:

It didn't sound like he was going to make the trip when we met up last week and I thought like 10 hours is crazy, there is no way he's going to come. When was the last time you drove 10 hours?? (years) If its getting to be too many people we could stop by and say hi then do an izakaya or something.

kiratsukai
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
10 hours' drive?!?! For Kyara Fes?!?! My God! I would dearly love to meet him, but that just blows my mind. He's certainly welcome to join us for anything at all. The tea party is rather out of the way (an extra hour in the opposite direction of the event), so it might be better if we all hit an izakaya (I can grab a reservation tomorrow if we need one) after the Kotohira event for 2 or 3 hours and then split up until the following day? I don't want to cause any more inconvenience for anyone.

Of course, you guys are totally welcome (and can stay that night free of charge if you need to to compensate for the hassle). But it ~does~ mean an earlier morning and an extra train ride.

If you're planning on wearing Alphonse both days, I can squirrel Ed in a seperate bag in a coin locker near the event site the night before (especially if we do an izakaya on the way home) and save myself hauling it home... then would be able to carry it in addition to my other costumes to Tak, too. Up to you, of course ^^

Kotohira is a shot in the dark. Never cosplayed there before, so I have no idea how it will be.

Kyara Den is limited to 200 tickets... but I have NO idea who will express interest, if anyone... these events are all really new to the community here (which is pretty new itself) and it's hard to tell how many people will try an event or venue the first time its offered. I don't think they'll sell out, but who knows? If folks want to give it a show. Let me know WHICH train you're going to ride and I'll e-mail a list for reservations tomorrow night. If you want to make your own reservations, Edo, the link is here: http://www.brsq.net/cf/chara/index.html#den

My own plan is to attend the kabuki event in the morning for about 2 hours to get some shots of Mokou (Touhou Project) then I'll change for the main event.

For ~me~, personally, the train back works better. Because then anyone who wants to use the theater can arrive when it opens and make slightly better use of our time.

CelestialShadow
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I`ll take whatever train you take Kira =)
I`m game for anything and have no plans are agenda so I will follow you and sheik around all day lol

-Edo-
05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
10 hours' drive?!?! ... hit an izakaya (I can grab a reservation tomorrow if we need one)

Yah I know, epic road trip. I wouldn't worry about an izakaya reservation its a shame to go changing plans just because we have more numbers in the last minute. We'll all be meeting up during both Saturday and Sunday so I say we look at doing our own thing Saturday night and kind of play it by ear. We should be aright for places to stay too, cheers:bigtu:

If you're planning on wearing Alphonse both days, I can squirrel Ed in a separate bag in a coin locker near the event site the night before
If Goldy does come down with the car then we can use that to keep stuff as well. I don't know about Alphonse for 2 days straight I might melt from heat exhaustion.

Kyara Den is limited to 200 tickets... but I have NO idea who will express interest
Yah, I say for this too, we'll just see how it goes, I would be fine with just taking a pictures of cosplayers near trains and not even get on but lets see where we are on the day and if we can make it great, if not that's fine.

I'm up for whatever too so, I'll let you know when I have more info here.

kiratsukai
05-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I hear ya. Ed is pretty horrible with the coat. But since I have the automail and the undershirt, it's sort of like two versions of the same costume -- one much more heat-friendly than the other :P I can strip down a bit ~ you, not so much ^^

Will go with the flow ~

I'm pretty amicable to last minute changes. As long as I have what I need where I need it when I need it.

CelestialShadow
05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
EDO, havent gotten an email from you yet with a photo or cosplay info. I only have 4 hours left until I leave so if you need cards better send them to me asap. I am leaving for work at 5pm and right after that i catch the night train.

Peace

kiratsukai
05-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Time to buckle down while watching Mad Men!

Checklist for own convenience

DAY 1 DOWN

White Rabbit (Tea)
-inventory (done)
-bloody book prop (done)
-remake hat ~smaller w/band (halfway done)
-buy a black headband and some ribbon to cover it in
-tinker w/wig
-straighten/curl wig
-iron/de-hair
-pack
*don't forget hat, belt, book*

Amu (Sun)
-ponytail in wig, wig adjustments
-try on with wig, shoes and accessories
-iron
-pack
*don't forget humpty lock, eggs x4, batsu kyara, batsu egg, hair clip*

Len (Sun)
-try on (done)
-glue headset (done)
-fix ponytail and sides on wig
-aquire shoes ~ call sheik
-iron (done)
-pack (careful of wig and headset) (done)
*don't forget headset*

Kida (Sun)
-try on (done)
-adjust/cut wig
-pack on Sat night
-find a cheap brown messenger bag
*don't forget, earrings, ear cuff, chain*

General
-prep makeup, lashes, adhesive
-wig caps
-binder and control shorts
-safety pins
-cards/card book
-reservations for after party?
-reserve train spots (return)
-empty/charge camera
-bring Thomas's kunai on Sun

SSSelf just announced they'll be running a show/dance-party from 1-3pm in Kotohira, too.

1日目(琴平)-petite soeur-
日時:2011年5月21日(土) 13:00~15:00
場所:琴平町公会堂

I've never checked out a SSSelf event. Was going to and then got deathly ill >.< But the basic idea seems to be on par with Yorustar. A dj spins animesongs and people dance around in costumes, ocaisionally breaking into coreographed dances or being shoved up on stage to lipsynch a relevant song in character.

We shall see :3

shortsheik
05-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Celeste - no CURE!

My own checklist:

General:
-snacks for tea party (done)
-bleach eyebrows for all the damn blondes (done)
-Clean house (done)
-prep makeup, lashes, adhesive
-wig caps
-binder and control shorts
-safety pins
-cards/card book

Okita (Sat)
-Pack -- Don't forget sword, binder, or red contacts!
-Black belt

Marianne (Sat)
-Trim left side of wig
-Iron (done)

Tadase (Sun)
-Finish cutting and styling wig (done)
-Figure out way to pack the damn wig
-Pack -- don't forget stockings, egg, sock glue, pink contacts
-Belt?
-PRAY!!!

Rin (Sun)
-Swear at wig until it decides to cooperate and curl appropriately
-Re-attach headphones to headband
-Figure out bow situation (done)
-Liposuction?
-Sort shoes for me and Kira

If Mayoko's wig comes, I might bring her along one of the days. Maybe.

RookBartly
05-19-2011, 07:52 AM
My checklist:

General:
-Cash for Tea Party (done)
-Hair Dye, for cosplay (about to start)
-Cameras (Packed)
-wig caps (Packed)
-Laundry
-Sewing kit (Packed)
-Cards (Packed)

Maes Hughs (Sat)
-Uniform (Ironed and packed)
-Boots (Paclked)
-Wig & gloves - incase of swiching to Roy (Packed)
-Glasses (Need to see anyway)

Mad Hatter (Sat)
-Hat (Packed)
-Wig (Packed)
-Suit (Cleaned and Packed)
-White Shirt (packed)
-Scar (Packed)
-Most uncomfie shoe I own (Packed)

Kurogane (Sun Maybe)
-Wig (Packed
-Armor (Packed)
-Mokona (Packed)
-Head Peice (Packed)
-Belts (Packed)

Claws for for friend's Lust cosplay..... (inwork)

-Edo-
05-19-2011, 05:50 PM
CelestialShadow - sent you an e-mail

Alphonse
Armour - check
Boots - done
Loincloth - done

I will be coming down Saturday morning, try to get in contact when I arrive around 11 or 12.
I confirmed Goldy +1 will be leaving Friday night and arrive Saturday morning too. I'll meet up with him first I guess and we can drive to meet you where ever you are.

gixxer
05-19-2011, 11:18 PM
wow ...im so jealous of you guys .. T_T

kiratsukai
05-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Rook, throw one of us your up-to-date contact info.

We just tried calling you on what we have and got a Japanese fellow at a station :P

He was quite confused.

kiratsukai
05-20-2011, 05:31 AM
A handful of Japanese cosplayers have asked to hang out with us. I figured it was cool ^^ So I said okay.

Just one request: A lot of the kids asking to join and my friends in the community are high school students. Some are junior high school students... and some are our junior high school students. Takamatsu Kyara Fes will likely even have a couple of my elementary students roaming around.

More than ever, please follow Japanese photo ettiquette. Ask to take photos and don't upload shots of the minors on unprotected photo sites (and then, only with their permission). Don't photograph the really little ones at all, please!!! I could get in a lot of trouble if that sort of thing surfaces in the wrong place. The school board knows I cosplay but it really touchy about the whole thing.

It's okay to appear on (video) camera and get photos taken for the press -- but do not appear on camera with elementary or junior high students!!!! This is MEGA bad-news for local ALTs!!! If you see someone video-ing you for a news program while you're talking to someone under 14 or they're in the shot, just walk up and ask them not to use it. They're cool about it.

9 times out of 10, our junior high students aren't supposed to be there at all. As teachers, the ALTs in charge of them need to pretend we didn't see them :) If video of us chatting with them or posing with them pops up on the evening news: both parties are busted.

And watch your language/alcohol/cigarette intake. You can swear, booze and smoke... just please step out of their line of site, kay?

Thanks ^^;;;

Sorry to go all teacher-mode.

-Edo-
05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Caution noted. I don't take many pictures and don't upload much so wont be a problem. I'll let my friends know too, they are well versed so wont be a problem. :spinner:

gixxer - > We will have fun, have fun for you and then tell you later how much fun we had :razz:

kiratsukai
05-20-2011, 10:49 AM
And ~ well... nothing but Ed and Mokou is going to fit into my suitcases. So I guess I'll be doing Ed most of the day ^^;;

It will be a very hot day... But it can't be helped.

1 large roller
1 small roller
1 big plastic bag

I'll be on the 9:10 train from Sanjou. I think it starts at Chikkou around 8:45 if people want to grab the same one.

Mike is coming (with Remilia) and will be on the same train I am.

-Edo-
05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Just got home everybody, had a blast. Good group, great event! Poor Goldys still on the road somewhere on his 10 hour journey back home, dude is hardcore. Looking forward to the next event!

RookBartly
05-24-2011, 01:31 AM
I droped off the film today for development. It will be about a week before I get them back and scaned into the computer. If you want copies of them, shoot me an message with your e-mails and I will send them. I plan to post some of them up also!

-Edo-
05-24-2011, 07:59 AM
I droped off the film today for development. It will be about a week before I get them back and scaned into the computer. If you want copies of them, shoot me an message with your e-mails and I will send them. I plan to post some of them up also!

So analog! :D

RookBartly
05-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Getting the film back this afternoon. I'll have it scaned soon. Also I have good news. I found my digital camera. A co-worker found it chill'n on the floor at work and stuck it in my locker.

kiratsukai
06-20-2011, 04:48 AM
The Kagawa area magazine "Komachi (http://www.e-komachi.com/web/kagawa_komachi/index.asp)" ran a feature on Kyara Fes. I ~think~ it's the current issue (July).

My friend Anna scanned her photo in it and I caught a glimpse of Goldy in one of the nearest photos.

If you were interviewed or snapped by the magazine (they should have spoken to you and asked for your handle and character) and want a copy, let me know ~ I can grab you one.

RookBartly
06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I'd like a copy! I was stoped and asked so many questions I don't remember who all did. But I would very much love to have a copy!

kiratsukai
06-23-2011, 02:32 AM
I'd like a copy! I was stoped and asked so many questions I don't remember who all did. But I would very much love to have a copy!

Even if you're not in it?

I can double check on the stand (it isn't a wrapped magazine).

Up to you, of course :P

kikansha
09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
hello all!

didn't know where else to post this but i just joined! i was at the kyara event as tobi from naruto. i added a bunch of you on facebook after the event but just in case there were other people here i am! it was really nice to meet you all and it was A LOT of fun. it was my first event. i'm still noob but it'd be nice to go to more :)