PDA

View Full Version : Should I purchase a farthingale or the like?

RyRose123
02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm going to be cosplaying Claudia Auditore from Assassin's Creed II: Brotherhood and I'm wondering whether I should purchase a farthingale or maybe just an A-line hoop skirt. I would make one myself, but I have only a month to the con and haven't even acquired all the fabric for the dress. I will probably be making a small bum roll but im still concerned as far as the way the dress will hang and flow.

So, should I get a farthingale? And if those are too hard or expensive, an A-line hoop skirt? I've only purchased one other hoop skirt in my life and that was for a Victorian Era dress, completely different from the Italian renaissance.

Any suggestions?

Here's the costume for reference:
Claudia Auditore (http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/2/2f/Char_claudia.png)

ShinobiXikyu
02-01-2011, 10:46 PM
It doesn't look to me like she's got much going on for her skirt; a decent couple of petticoats (maybe stiffened or starched?) might work. You COULD use a farthingale, moreso for the stiff appearance of her skirt than anything, but you certainly wouldn't need a large one. Also, there is a tutorial here on a cheap, fast but not crappy hoopskirt/farthingale, if you decide on it; http://www.funkyhorror.com/hoopskirt.htm

alpha_helix
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
^Agreeing with this. The only thing that really says to me "this might have some kind of hoop under it" is the fact that it's standing out without any folds, which could simply be an effect of the say it was rendered (many video games--even the new ones with spiffy graphics--simplify the drape and motion of clothing) in which case it's your call whether it's something you wish to replicate.

If you want the stiff "everything below my waist is skirt" look, a small hoop might serve you well, and the tutorial that shibobi posted should got together quickly, easily, and cheaply.

If you want a little more movement, several petticoats. I'd suggest qulited or corded, but you said you only have a month, and these methods can be time consuming. My corded petticoat took several weeks.

Kelley
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Depends on what take on this you're making.

The character art doesn't look like it includes a bumroll to me. It looks like a not-voluminous skirt stretched over a farthingale from the art.

If you'd like to render the skirt fuller and less totally conical, you could use a corded or otherwise stiffened petticoat.

Garen
03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Looks like you should be fine with the bum roll and a petticoat or two. I'm going to assume that the fabric you're using for the skirt itself is fairly heavy?

Kelley
03-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Taking the character artwork literally, I don't see a bumroll.

I mean, they make your butt stick out, and then without a farthingale, the fabric just drops to the floor - where the character art clearly has it sticking out, not falling straight.

In real life, Italian dresses tended to be the opposite - having some kind of "bum roll" (or simply lots of pleats) and no farthingale, but that's not how the game designers have rendered it.

I'm a person who tends to be faithful to the character art, no matter what - so that's just my take.