PDA

View Full Version : What not to wear? Please! How dare you!

MidnightKitten
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm talking about this episode. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnD1GYFQ0k)

It aired for the first time last night on TLC, and it got me angry honestly. I can't help but feel for this girl, since she's a Hime Gyaru sister ( and please, she IS a Hime Gyaru, you can't tell me other wise lol. If anything, she's an American style Hime Gyara, so yeah. Blond hair, tanned skin, pink and sparkles :P )! I'm Decora however, and if anyone tried to mix up my style and downgrade it to "average everyday normal people" clothes, I'd smack 'em up. How dare they try to do that to this girl! She was fine the way she was, and her friends keep telling her "Oh we feel bad for you and the comments you receive about your look" and she says that those comments don't bother her. So let it go! If harsh comments don't bother her, good for her! She should wear and flaunt whatever style her heart desires, she's not hurting anyone, and she's not hurting herself! The only problem her style gives her, is that it makes her look intimidating to some men, she attracts the wrong kinda guys, and she just wants to attract "a sweet nice geeky guy". It's her way of expressing herself and she should be allowed to do so. It upsets me that standing outside the box, and doing your own thing fashion wise, causes THIS much of a stir to the public eye. Like seriously, people should mind their own business, and not invade someones wardrobe because they aren't dressed like the rest of the world, and have their own unique style. Anyone else agree? Disagree? Talk about it.

glitter bomb
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
those shows are always utter crap, for a myriad of reasons. many of which you've mentioned.
IMO anyone interested in style or learning how to dress is far better off following indie fashion blogs -- much more informative, much more on top of trends, much less douche-canoeing. ;)

ETA: also, if her style is intimidating to men then good, at least it weeds out the weak ones so she doesn't have to waste her time with them. I mean, seriously, if I guy is too much of a wuss to get past how you dress, do you really want to dumb yourself down for him and pretend to be weak just to make him feel confident? Talk about lowered expectations. There are men out there who are nice AND have a friggin backbone. Dating is about quality, not quantity. And having her change just means she's not being herself, so no relationship would get off on good footing.

Celia Rose
02-02-2011, 05:56 PM
People don't always like or keep the fashion transformation after they leave the show. I've seen plenty of episodes of WntW where the guest tells Clint and Stacy at the end that they don't like their new look. Besides, the guests that appear on the show don't have to keep whatever wardrobe they have afterward, or participate at all.

Though, I will say that this particular guest's wardrobe isn't appropriate for a professional environment, which is what she works in as a flight attendant. No body really cares what she wears outside of that, when she's on her personal time.

MidnightKitten
02-02-2011, 06:27 PM
@Rose: Yeah, I agree that her outfit isn't appropriate for being a flight attendant. However, she should have just tone it down, keep the makeup, poof in the back and accessories, but put the hair back in a ponytail. At the end of that episode, she did say that she will try to stay with the new look, but she can't promise anything, which if you read between the lines, means she's going to go back to her old ways and I'm glad for that.

@Glitter: I agree about the dating thing, and the man thing. But that's how most guys are I guess. I think they live by "What you see is what you get", when that's not really true. I've seen women who wear men's clothing because of weight issues/not enough time to care too much/not a lot of money or whatever, but are the most confident women ever on the inside, with great down to earth personalities, that most guys dream of, but don't flock to because of the way she dresses, which also upsets me greatly. In the end, most people judge on appearance, that's why women who aren't born fashionista's or have the money to look good, have harder times finding "the right one" imo. At the same time, there are plenty of women as I've explained above, who DO find the right one, because they are in environments with civil decent people who can look pass what's on the outside. I mean, women do that with men all the time. There are so many good looking women married to ugly guys, because God darn it, they look pass what's on the outside! Why can't good looking men do the same?

glitter bomb
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with Celia Rose that you have to change your look for a professional environment. It's rare that you find a job that allows that much visual self-expression, most of the time you need to be more neutral in terms of style and especially sex appeal. But as a flight attendant she [edit: meaning the woman in the video] has to wear a uniform anyway, and the flight attendants I've seen usually have a scary amount of makeup on as well. So other than toning down her makeup a bit and wearing a few less accessories, I can't really see that she'd need to make much of a change for her professional environment. I mean, she's not a doctor or a lawyer.

I don't particularly like her style, but I thought she was adorable. Like Betty Boop, a cute cartoon. It seemed to me she wasn't trying to be trampy, she just liked bright colors and fun, loud details. Nothing wrong with that. She seemed more Lady Gaga inspired than Paris Hilton. The only thing I thought that should be addressed was her makeup. I got the impression that she wasn't trying to hide as much as she was just trying to play with makeup. Some people really love makeup, so they wear more than average. I think simply showing her some alternate ways to be dramatic or fun with makeup, without wearing a full club paintjob all the time would have been a lot more productive.

And that's my problem with these shows in general -- instead of showing an individual how to make the best of their individual style, the shows try to force everyone into a singular bland "normal" style. It's lazy, inept, and doesn't make sense. That's not what a real, skilled stylist does.

glitter bomb
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
@Glitter: I agree about the dating thing, and the man thing. But that's how most guys are I guess. I think they live by "What you see is what you get", when that's not really true. I've seen women who wear men's clothing because of weight issues/not enough time to care too much/not a lot of money or whatever, but are the most confident women ever on the inside, with great down to earth personalities, that most guys dream of, but don't flock to because of the way she dresses, which also upsets me greatly.

In the end, most people judge on appearance, that's why women who aren't born fashionista's or have the money to look good, have harder times finding "the right one" imo. At the same time, there are plenty of women as I've explained above, who DO find the right one, because they are in environments with civil decent people who can look pass what's on the outside. I mean, women do that with men all the time. There are so many good looking women married to ugly guys, because God darn it, they look pass what's on the outside! Why can't good looking men do the same?

My point was actually not that guys should look past what's on the outside (though of course, a healthy degree of that is good for everyone), but that a guy who doesn't like what's on the outside isn't for you anyway. Your style is partly a representation of who you are, your personality. If a guy doesn't like that, then eff him, he's clearly not a match for you. Changing your look to be more tarty or more ordinary may get you more attention, but it'll be attention of the wrong kind from the wrong people. Having 2 dozens wrong guys ask for your number is a waste of time. Having 2 right guys ask is much better. Again, this isn't a game of quantity. ;)

For example: If you're a quirky goth geek then suddenly dressing like Paris Hilton may get you a whole bunch of attention, but that will just frustrate you and waste your time since that's not attracting the kind of guy you want. You want a guy who appreciates quirky goth geeks and everything that goes along with that, preferably a fellow quirky goth geek. Also, pretending to be something you're not will end up backfiring in the end when the Paris-Hilton-loving guy suddenly finds out you hate high heels and love anime. ;)

It's like advertising: you don't want to spam thousands of people who aren't even in your target market in hopes that one or two might respond, you want to narrow your message to the specific group of people who are most suitable and therefore yield a much higher response rate. Some people have a narrower market than others -- like the women you mentioned who wear more guys clothes -- but being who they are gives them more of a chance of finding the right match.

Kaoru133
02-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Sometimes the people on that show do need a make-over in my opinion :P but i thought she was cute! Sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree with them, like the time when they showed a cyber girl, I didn't really see what was wrong with her and plus she was a model... But then I agreed with an episode where they had a hair stylist and it seem they helped her find a fashion she liked (a more pin up style) and it would make me upset if my family or friends put me on that show because I also dressed in j-fashion (like decora EGL and visual-kei yay another decora! xD) so I understand where you're coming from

Red Sheep
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
These shows are always rediculous. :/ Without the tan, I think her look be really cute. The tan's a bit too Jersey Shore for me.

MDA
02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
That show drives me up the wall. The few times I've watched it, the people they're trying to change were happy with their original look. Yeah, they could have put on the makeup a bit thinner for some, but they were comfortable. The show mostly just takes people out of their comfort zones.

Personally, I do like her style, it's interesting, stands out, and keeps you guessing. Not like the stuff that they were putting her in. I'm sorry, but no. Boring and bland is just... exactly that. Boring and bland. And who wants to blend in with the rest of the world? If we were all the same, the world would be extremely boring. So her showing her individual style creates some interest.

If they tried to get me to change my style... well, let's put it this way, I'd be telling them where to shove it! I'll look fashionable when I feel like it (which is still only a white top, black pants & boots, my medieval bustier, and my fedora. And if I feel like it, I'll wear one of my wigs just to look different)

kiratsukai
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
*shrug* How dare dare people look down on a fat woman in too-small sweatpants and a bedazzled Christmas sweater in Walmart in June!? How dare Vogue declare what is "hot" and "not"!? And those Oscar commentators and their best and worst dressed lists... bitches!!!!

But hey, you watch it... you read it... and you sometimes do it yourself...

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one... and on shows like this, people are paid good money and given a great deal of the attention they crave to be put on air and criticized by "gurus". Most mainstream tv gurus specialize in making folks look acceptable in the most normative sense of "normal" (because most people watching fall under "normal" and want to see a "crazy trainwreck" become more like them... and therefore "happier").

There are gurus in extreme styles, too. Just look at the lolita forum here for hundreds of threads of people expounding guidelines, dishing out criticism and giving advice based on fashion "rules" laid out by heck-knows-who for heck-knows-why.

Don't tell me gals, hipsters and goths don't gripe about how "boring and bland" the normies look or snicker behind their hands at cameltoe, see-through pants or older women with collagen injections and tammy-faye baker eye makeup.

Fashion is very much tied to context... and beauty is always "in the eye of the beholder".

You think this woman is adorable.
I think she looks ghastly ("Snookie, meet Hello Kitty. Hello Kitty, Snookie").
Neither opinion matters in the long run...
She's going to dress how she likes and now has a few extra thousand bucks to spend on doing it because she appeared on this show :P

Fashion is a little like apple jacks.
You'll be enjoying your bowl and some killjoy will come up and ask you why you like it when it doesn't even taste like apples.
You can lay out a detailed defense, complain about the dickhead on a forum, or you can punch that guy in the face and finish your applejacks.
So what if they don't taste like apples? Ya just like em.

Yukikittie
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought the same thing when I saw the episode. xD
I agree, people can dress how they want. It's not my life, and I'm not paying for her clothes or style. I thought she looked cute. People should have their own unique style, this is America. A huge bowl of different fashions and cultures. I think we all shouldn't try to look the same. Sure it's not mainstream and you may get ridiculed for dressing how you dress, but if it makes you happy, then just ignore it.

stardust760
02-13-2011, 09:18 PM
i think she is adorable! my only thing would be for her to leave her skin its natural color, tanning is unhealthy anyways.

Aleiki
02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I've never seen that show, and if it pissed people off just watching that episode I don't think I want to : / Just the idea makes me angry.

I'm starting to get to the point where I can dress myself up and look nice if I want to... I've always been able to, I'm just getting to the point now where I care more about it, and I care more about how "fashionable" I look on a day-to-day basis. I didn't used to, and I didn't honestly give a damn if people thought I looked stupid. My friends continued to be my friends, and I didn't really care about anyone else, because I didn't like most of the people in high school anyway. But a couple of my friends started joking about calling that show about me... I guess it was sort of funny at first, but then they wouldn't shut up about it. It honestly upset me. I didn't care if anyone thought I looked bad, and from what they'd told me about the show they would throw out other peoples' clothes and make them buy new ones. Maybe that's not entirely true, but I knew that I didn't want them to go over to my house, rummage through my cosplay things and toss them out because they were "weird," and make me go to some place in the mall that I hate to buy clothes that I didn't feel comfortable in. I made it clear that I thought this was a stupid idea, and yet they continued to bring this up.

So I don't like this show. : /

Yeah, everyone has different opinions... but really? If people WANT to be made over, have a show about THAT. As far as I've heard, half the people on that show don't want it and don't like the looks they're given. I might not like what some people wear but I'm not going to go up to them and be an ass about it, and I don't think other people should either.

black shinigami
03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Try watching Snog, Marry , Avoid. It's where they take fashionable people and strip them of their make up and put into a potato sack and call it natural beauty. (well, admit that some girls really needed the nude face from too much make up but a few were really pretty before they went onto the show).

People just like watching shows of others getting criticised about their sense of fashion to make themselves feel better. Nothing you can do about it. Just be who you are.

krys-chan
03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
This one too :/

http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/what-not-to-wear-fast-forward-a-dred-ful-affair.html

Volnixshin
03-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I saw this show once, they had a woman that wears vintage clothing start wearing everybody clothing. In the end I couldn't even pick her out of a crowd.

This show depresses me. I would love them to try and challenge me.

Alucardalina
03-22-2011, 07:46 PM
The way I see it, she agreed to taking the money and the make-over. She obviously had some part of her that wanted to change. It's why I really had no problem with changing the girl who was wearing Lolita in that one episode.

While I might not agree with their lack of information on these styles, or anything fashionable beyond what they are wearing, the girl had full rights to deny the money and make-over.

ToroSonyCat
03-23-2011, 03:12 PM
There have also been lolitas on that same show.
It really annoys me how they try and get rid of any unique aspects in anyone to make them into sheep.

Though I'm not really a big fan of the whole 'orange fake tan' thing, Japanese fashion or not. I do like gyaru/gal though, but without the tan..

dreamoflife02
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
I have some problems with the show, usually because by the end everyone looks so OLD and the old hairstylist used to just cut everyone's hair off.

At the same time, I think that woman needed a gyaru makeover if she wanted to stay in the style. Her hair looked completely fried, and the outfits did tend to fall on the trashy side rather than the girly, flirty side.

Viveeh
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I have always hated those shitty 'Let's make them like everyone else' shows. X)

Grav
04-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I can see the point that some go too far extreme, at least for when they are on the job, and need to have their professional wear brought a back a little closer to center, but I hate how uniform they expect our casual wear to be. I don't think they would know what to do with my wardrobe. It looks like a Victorian time traveler stopped off in the 70's and then decided to take a trip to Korea and Japan.

As for the earlier comments about scaring off guys. The same thing gets used against us guys. From hair, to cloths, to unchangeable things like height it s easy to get written off. On the other hand if you are being written off because of such things, you probably wouldn't have made a good couple anyway.

Kelley
04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Don't tell me gals, hipsters and goths don't gripe about how "boring and bland" the normies look or snicker behind their hands at cameltoe, see-through pants or older women with collagen injections and tammy-faye baker eye makeup.

For what it's worth, I don't and only one person I've talked to ever did and it made me uncomfortable to listen to.

Though, I think that "wardrobe malfunctions" are a different category than "intentional style choices".

I'd like to think that ALL people, regardless of personal style choices, have better things to do than snicker behind their hands at anyone. But if I think too much about that and think that that is what normal people do, then I'll start hating them and I don't want to. :)