PDA

View Full Version : What to do for AOD?

02-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Im thinking about going but not registering. I am not planning to go to the dealers room or any panels and just want to be surrounded by cosplayers. I dont see a reason to buy a badge but has anyone been to this convention before and give me an idea on how this is? any info is greatly appreciated.

MinaotoBot
02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Well, it really depends on those you end up hanging out with.....

In my experience, I enjoyed the con without a badge last year.

02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Well, it really depends on those you end up hanging out with.....

In my experience, I enjoyed the con without a badge last year.

I might be going alone. What were some of the things u did w/o a badge?

DarkFujin
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
It's in Japan Town, isn't it? There's hella things to do in Japan Town if you can't find anything to do at con.

I'm sure you'll find people to hang out with too. I don't know anyone going, but just yesterday I met four people who are, just at work. It's super easy to meet people at cons if you're not scared of talking to strangers. Who knows, you might end up meeting people from your area with similar interests, and then you'll have friends to go to cons with.

MinaotoBot
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Since most of my friends from SFSU's Anime club (AnimeFX) were staffing/volunteering, I got to hang out with them, sans-badge.
I also just walked around the artist alley and just J-town in general.

You're more than welcome to chill with me sometime! Just look for a little lady Kamina cosplayer! Although, I'll be there pretty late Saturday evening (I go to a school where Saturdays are mandatory :\) . But Sunday, I'll be there aaaallll day. :D

GaleWolf
02-05-2011, 06:16 AM
While the common areas are usually not badged, if things get crowded, we do reserve that right.

We welcome cosplayers and fans to come and hang out, but in the end, for any convention, if too many people come but don't buy badges, it hurts the convention's chances of continuing in the long run. Just sayin' !

02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
@DarkFujin Yes it is at japan town but i was wondering cause i heard ppl go to conventions w/o badges and wonder what they do?

@Minaotobot Thanks =D. I will be there saturday almost all day and if i like aod ill be there sunday.

@galewolf do u work or volunteer for aod? has it ever got to the point where common areas do need a badge?

GaleWolf
02-09-2011, 04:09 AM
I am one of the Directors of AOD.

It has not in the past, but we're expecting a larger turnout this year, so it's definitely possible.

02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I am one of the Directors of AOD.

It has not in the past, but we're expecting a larger turnout this year, so it's definitely possible.

Is it still worth going w/o the badge?

Bohe
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Let's see. People going to conventions without badges:
They go because of 1 or more of the following reasons
maybe even a few i haven't listed:
1. They have a lot of friends going, and they don't plan to
do anything other then hang out.
2. They have worked a lot on a cosplay and want to show
it off for a few hours.
3. the convention happens to be in an epically located area
like AOD is, and they plan to spend time exploring the area
outside the convention

I think for someone who is going alone to AOD, just to see how
it was. No, otherwise you would have pre-registered or plan to
actually get a badge.
Now if you were going to hang out with people at gatherings
and possibly make friends or: going because it was in japan town
I would think that it's up to you to deside if it was or not.

02-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Hmmm might not end up going cause of weather. Thanks for the info

Edit: probably just gonna buy a pass. Can u upgrade a pass by the end of the day? Weather is looking better so imma be there haha but man this weather is SUPER bipolar! Dark clouds and light rain the super sunny then cloudy with rain and now its shining like summer time (within the spam of 5 hours)!

AXEL5489
02-18-2011, 07:37 PM
ya not sure if i whant to buy a badge ill be going as axel from kh

02-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Decided not to go today but I will most likely go tomorrow due to weather