PDA

View Full Version : Materials for Atair Cosplay? (Assassin's Creed)

Amandy-Chan
02-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Okay, I'm planning on gender-bending Altair from Assassin's Creed. Reference pic and rough picture of my design below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/kndnumbuh3/Altair-GB.jpg

So I haven't actually started working on this cosplay yet (mostly due to not having money...), but I've been thinking about the kinds of materials to use for the belt, the bracer, etc. I did my research and most of the best AC cosplays used leather. But that's way too far out of my experience range and price range. I've seen some cosplays use fabric for the belt and such, but it just looks really bad. I've thought of using craft foam. I even found this handy little tutorial: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html. However, the finish they suggested wouldn't work (wrong colors, you know), and I'm kind of worried it'll crack if I just use paint.

So, that's my question. Is there a finish I could use on craft foam in these colors (brown, silver) that won't crack when worn? Or is there some other material I can use that's not too insanely difficult to work with, but will still look good?

I haven't thought too much about the materials for the actual cloth parts. But if anyone has any suggestions as to what materials would be best for those, feel free to throw those out there. I'm going to work off a leotard as a base, but I'm going to make the rest of it from scratch.

Thanks in advance for the help.

32spartan11
02-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Okay, I'm planning on gender-bending Altair from Assassin's Creed. Reference pic and rough picture of my design below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/kndnumbuh3/Altair-GB.jpg

So I haven't actually started working on this cosplay yet (mostly due to not having money...), but I've been thinking about the kinds of materials to use for the belt, the bracer, etc. I did my research and most of the best AC cosplays used leather. But that's way too far out of my experience range and price range. I've seen some cosplays use fabric for the belt and such, but it just looks really bad. I've thought of using craft foam. I even found this handy little tutorial: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html. However, the finish they suggested wouldn't work (wrong colors, you know), and I'm kind of worried it'll crack if I just use paint.

So, that's my question. Is there a finish I could use on craft foam in these colors (brown, silver) that won't crack when worn? Or is there some other material I can use that's not too insanely difficult to work with, but will still look good?

I haven't thought too much about the materials for the actual cloth parts. But if anyone has any suggestions as to what materials would be best for those, feel free to throw those out there. I'm going to work off a leotard as a base, but I'm going to make the rest of it from scratch.

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you check out the main thread (I know daunting) there is tons and tons of information about altair. If you check out my own costume and the look of the "leather" works for you I did it buy hot gluing pleather to craft foam. It's easy cheap and looks decent (not as good as the real thing of course). If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Amandy-Chan
02-05-2011, 04:13 PM
If you check out the main thread (I know daunting) there is tons and tons of information about altair. If you check out my own costume and the look of the "leather" works for you I did it buy hot gluing pleather to craft foam. It's easy cheap and looks decent (not as good as the real thing of course). If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

That's really creative. I don't really like it on the belt, simply because I'm super perfectionist about my cosplays, and the design of Altair's belt pops out a lot, which you could do with leather if you know how to work with it (which I don't), but not with pleather. It could work for the bracers, though. I'll keep your suggestion in mind, and I'll go look at the main thread. Thank you.

Lisu-chan
02-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Just to bluntly put it; Craft foam isn't going to get you any better results then pleather would. Depending on the quality of the pleather, you can get quite near the leather-look. It's just how you use it.

Thing is, the quality pleather (that looks like leather) costs a lot as well, and basically that's with everything. It looks good -> It's going to be pricy, it looks crap -> it's going to be cheap.
The stuff they use Rub-n-Buff, in the tutorial that is, comes actually in antique brown and if you mix it with some paints (acryllics mixed with a textile-medium to keep it flexible) you could get a leather-ish look, but I reckon it's going to be tons harder.

Not that I think craftfoam is crap, or anything, heck no, it's probably in almost EVERY cosplay I made. (for example to make pleather more sturdy) I just wouldn't use it for that!

Good luck with your genderbend...

Amandy-Chan
02-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Just to bluntly put it; Craft foam isn't going to get you any better results then pleather would. Depending on the quality of the pleather, you can get quite near the leather-look. It's just how you use it.

Thing is, the quality pleather (that looks like leather) costs a lot as well, and basically that's with everything. It looks good -> It's going to be pricy, it looks crap -> it's going to be cheap.
The stuff they use Rub-n-Buff, in the tutorial that is, comes actually in antique brown and if you mix it with some paints (acryllics mixed with a textile-medium to keep it flexible) you could get a leather-ish look, but I reckon it's going to be tons harder.

Not that I think craftfoam is crap, or anything, heck no, it's probably in almost EVERY cosplay I made. (for example to make pleather more sturdy) I just wouldn't use it for that!

Good luck with your genderbend...

But if I used pleather, it'd be flat, wouldn't it? It's the raised details on the belt that made me want to use craft foam.

Lisu-chan
02-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Ah but that's the trick!

Ever thought of combining the two? If you sew pleather on craftfoam, you get an indent in your pleather where you've sewn, PLUS the pleather gets sturdy like real leather.
Alternatively you could work the details out on craft foam, and glue (with sprayglue or something the like, nothing thick) the pleather on it.

Another thing you ought to consider is that foam is prone to snap if you put too much pressure on it, while covering it with fabric (thus, pleather) would prevent that. It's funny how these two 'help' each other.

Amandy-Chan
02-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Ah but that's the trick!

Ever thought of combining the two? If you sew pleather on craftfoam, you get an indent in your pleather where you've sewn, PLUS the pleather gets sturdy like real leather.
Alternatively you could work the details out on craft foam, and glue (with sprayglue or something the like, nothing thick) the pleather on it.

Another thing you ought to consider is that foam is prone to snap if you put too much pressure on it, while covering it with fabric (thus, pleather) would prevent that. It's funny how these two 'help' each other.

Ohhh. I see how that would work now. I like it. Thanks. =D

Lisu-chan
02-06-2011, 04:03 AM
We're all here to help each other and share our findings with certain materials, right? ^_^

32spartan11
02-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Ohhh. I see how that would work now. I like it. Thanks. =D

That is exactly what I was suggesting..Though For Altairs belt I would recommend using two pieces of foam for the front of the belt.

Here was the progress picture (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1698446/)

Amandy-Chan
02-07-2011, 01:42 AM
That is exactly what I was suggesting..Though For Altairs belt I would recommend using two pieces of foam for the front of the belt.

Here was the progress picture (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1698446/)

Well, yeah. I figured that went without saying.

gambit86
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Foam and pleather is how I made my original outfit. Depending on the thickness you can get some great results.

Word of advice though, If you plan on having any design on it, do it in a well ventilated area. And get a hot knife, hours of work brought down to a few minutes.

I took the idea of a hot knife litterally when I didnt have one, and actually took my pocket knife over a flame and carved into it. That was a long, long, and smelly process.

It did however produce some great results
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1357337/

PS, dont skimp on pleather, youll see the sheet going for 9 bucks a yard, and the one going for 20. Go for the 20, cant recomend it enough. Its tough, durable, thick and hides imperfections well.