PDA

View Full Version : Does ethnicity matter to you in cosplay?

Huai-Ai
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
So, umm, I've had this question for a while now. Does the cosplayers race/ ethnicity/ skin color etc affects how you view their cosplay of a Hetalia character?

I've always wanted to do a Hetalia cosplay, mostly the Nordic nations, but I'm so very Asian and what would people think of a asian "Iceland" prancing about? Yeah.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm trolling or something. ;A;

tsukie
02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I would say it doesn't matter at all.
I'm 100% Asian, but I never cosplay any Asia country.
I'm usually Prussia or Austria.
The only thing that matters is how you feel about it yourself.
As long as you are happy with your cosplay, any thing is fine~

If you really care about looking like an Asian, I say make-ups can help a lot...

Shana05
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I've seen Asians cosplaying the Nordics on YouTube and it's actually hard to tell. You have to really look at their eyes to notice. I also meet a black girl who was cosplaying Ukraine and she looked great. So race shouldn't matter.

On a sidenote, I often get asked if I'm Finnish while cosplaying Finland. As far as I know, I'm not. I'm a mix of a lot of Europeans, so who knows?

Kira*chan
02-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I don't think it matters at all. I cosplay Spain, but I haven't an ounce of any latin nation in me. (All Canadian, with German, British/Scottish/Irish/Welsh, and a tiny bit of Native American here |'D ).
I also know a girl who cosplays Prussia, but is asian as well.

Oh, and there's a Germany cosplayer here who's black; quite the opposite of the blond-haired, blue-eyed Germany; but she's one of the best I've met |'D

belligerent
02-06-2011, 02:28 AM
I've seen a lot of Asians cosplaying Nordics and vice versa. If that's the dude you like, then cosplay that dude. Not a whole lot of people cosplay Iceland, as far as my experience goes, so I think you'd be very welcome at most cons.

I'm Lithuanian and do plan on cosplaying Lithuania at some point in the future (actually I did it at ota, but it was the first time I'd cosplayed and it was at the behest of a friend). It just makes everything I do while in that cosplay 100% canon and accurate.

Except I have a bone to pick with the giving him green eyes business since Lithuania is like one of the most statistically blue-eyed countries there is, if not the most...I can't remember.

Hitsutai
02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't think it does at all! See, my ethnicity consists of Germanic, Hungarian, Polish, Austrian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Russian, and Jewish descent, but... I haven't cosplayed as either Hungary, Poland, Austria, Lithuania, Latvia, or Russia! (Germany was a fail cosplay orz).

I only cosplayed as Italy and England, so yeah, ethnicity doesn't really matter. ^_^

Axelai
02-07-2011, 04:48 AM
I don't think your race particularly matters. I mean, if you ARE the race of said character, its a fun fact to tell fellow cosplayers. But its not mandatory at ALL. (Like, my friend who is Spanish is going to cosplay Spain. Makes it cool, but its really not required).

Personally, i am German, Russian, Polish, French, Italian, Spanish, Irish, and Mexican... but due to Mexican being the most of it, i identify as Mexican or American. Yet i cosplay as America and Italy, and soon Germany. So even though i'm part of these ethnicities... that wasn't really a deciding factor. Just a coincidence.

RedeadDie
02-07-2011, 04:59 AM
One of my favorite characters to cosplay is China, but I'm full European with no ounce of Asian blood. I really enjoy being the character, so no I don't think race matters as long as you respect and love the character.

Ineedaname9
02-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Not really. I'm Japanese German.... and I cosplay Russia. My friends an I have a good giggle at it. lol Get it? lol

Anyway, in my Hetalia group we have a Japanese cosplaying Spain, a Mexican as America, a Chinese as Canada, a Pacific Islander as China, a german cosplaying England, a American cosplaying France, and a German cosplaying Sweden.

Blood_Sword
02-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Now I haven't really followed Hetalia or anything but I have thought about this too.
Of course it's a good bonus if you actually are of the same ethnicity as the character you want to cosplay, but no way is it required or obligatory, just a nice touch if it happens to match, nothing more.

And btw, I'm a Finn and I have to admit that the thought of cosplaying Finland have crossed my mind... but first I need to check that show out and see if I actually like it. (I at least like the uniforms)

Huai-Ai
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Thank you so much for all your encouraging replies. <3

And yeah, I figured out that people who would recognize me as the character I'm cosplaying would be Hetalia fans, and well, they'd be a friendly and accepting lot. c:
And generally, cosplayers and artists alike would understand.
So yeah. c:

tsukie Really? I know makeup is magical, but I never thought it was this magical >w>
Shana05 But since you're european, I guess it's not strange you appear Finnish. And yeah, who knows, maybe you have Finnish blood. XD
Kira*chan Wow, she must be awesome. I admire her courage!
belligerent I hope so. ;w; It can't be helped I guess, there are quite a number of mistakes in Himaruya's works, but well, we forgive him. c: But really, I'd never know that if it wasn't for you telling me, so I guess thanks is in order. xD
Hitsutai Wow, you are of so many ethnicities! Do you speak a lot of languages too? xD
Axelai Yeah, it would be really cool and stuff. But even if I cosplayed HK,(which I considered due to me being chinese) I still wouldn't be able to speak cantonese and that'd be funny >w>
RedeadDie That sentence - so much win. /cries forever
Ineedaname9 Your cosplay group is most certainly awesome!
Blood_Sword I'm glad you think so. I've come across some Scandinavians who are very unamused with Hetalia, the series and the fandom. They scare me and make me think twice about cosplaying Finland orz But of course, there are many friendly Finns who cosplay their own country as well. c: Maybe the unfriendly ones are louder, that's all. I hope you enjoy the series~

Hitsutai
02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Wow, you are of so many ethnicities! Do you speak a lot of languages too? xD
Actually... no, I don't. ^^; I know some Spanish, and I'm planning to take German soon. C:

Rainbow Muffins
02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Gonna be that creepy creeper and ask another question since we're on the topic of ethnicity
I'm just a little self conscious when I cosplay sometimes since I'm black...what are everyone's takes on that; cosplaying someone obviously European... I won't hate anyone...I promise?

I'm gonna be Spain, but I've done Russia in the past.

Axelai
02-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Gonna be that creepy creeper and ask another question since we're on the topic of ethnicity
I'm just a little self conscious when I cosplay sometimes since I'm black...what are everyone's takes on that; cosplaying someone obviously European... I won't hate anyone...I promise?

I personally think its rather cool. I know a girl who is black and cosplays as England. So it doesn't bother me at all.

Go for it~! c:

☆ Kei ☆
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM

One of the best Russia's I've ever had the pleasure of meeting is African American. c: /sort of related

But honestly, it's just like any other series. Cosplay what you want, regardless of your ethnicity. So long as you have fun, everything'll be fine. :3

Darkdreamyr
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
If your costume's well done I'm going to look at it, not you. Ethnicity is a nice bonus, but it's damn hard to tell most of the time so it's really not important at all. I'm going to look for the nicely done cosplay instead.

meepstio
02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
It really shouldn't matter. lol I'm asian/hispanic and I cosplay quite a few hetalia characters such as america, canada, germany, prussia, norway, russia. The only hetalia character that's remotely close to my ethnicity is Spain XD (cosplay him too) but it really shouldn't matter. Cosplay whoever you want to! :)

PfftGato
02-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Honestly, I don't think race should matter in a cosplay. As long as the person who is cosplaying is having fun. o-o

benihime
02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
i've seen some amazing asian americas and other way around. It's cosplay...it shouldn't matter

kiratsukai
02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Not really, no.

Japanese Hetalia fans would be pretty screwed if people got pissy about them doing anyone but Japan.

My friend ichi (http://www.cosp.jp/prof.aspx?id=124520) cosplays Ukraine, Russia and Lichtenstein all the time. It had never even ocurred to me to question it until reading this post. I still think it's a silly thing to worry about.

AstroRuby
02-14-2011, 06:38 PM

I once met a black England and all of the Ukraines I've met have been black! All of them were awesome. :) I used to be self-consious about cosplaying (I'm black too!) but I've gotten over it and now I don't care what ethnicity the charcater is as long as I have fun!^^

Chaletica
02-25-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm just going to repeat what everyone said here, but: it doesn't matter. Besides, if you had to keep to your own nationality, you wouldn't have much to choose from anyway... I'm going to cosplay Canada, even through I'm Norwegian. So, go for it :3

ebiko
02-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi. I think you don't worry about this. I'm also Asian.(I'm Japanese.)
But, I do Hetalia's Finland .^^
I'm looking forward to seeing your Nordics!
Have fun!

MaikusRequiem
02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I think that-as far as the darker skinned characters-like Soma and Angi from Kuroshitsuji -and characters that are intended to be Asian-such as China and Japan and Lau and Ran-Mao from Kuroshitsuji- it's better that the person cosplaying them is darker skinned or Asian or conversely, looks dark skinned or Asian because otherwise it looks off. NOT bad, just off.

I think ethnicity can be a factor in choosing your country, if you want it to be. If you have enough pride in your ethnicity and culture that your moved to cosplay their Hetalia equivalent, go right a head -for a while, I was going to cosplay Romano for that very reason, what with me being Sicilian and all. But I dropped that for Belarus because 1.) I have more of an interest and love for the former Russian Empire/Soviet Union states 2.) My boyfriend has expressed interest in cosplaying Russia and-as a rule- we always cosplay pairings.

Actually being that nations ethnicity can be helpful in portraying them because your going in to the cosplay with-assumingly-a lifetime of experience from being that ethnicity already. Such as, if I were cosplaying Ramano, I would be making Zeppole for San Giuseppe on March 19th. I didn't need to research what that is and why it's done, because I already know it from existing. XD

Axelai
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
I think that-as far as the darker skinned characters-like Soma and Angi from Kuroshitsuji -and characters that are intended to be Asian-such as China and Japan and Lau and Ran-Mao from Kuroshitsuji- it's better that the person cosplaying them is darker skinned or Asian or conversely, looks dark skinned or Asian because otherwise it looks off. NOT bad, just off.

I think ethnicity can be a factor in choosing your country, if you want it to be. If you have enough pride in your ethnicity and culture that your moved to cosplay their Hetalia equivalent, go right a head -for a while, I was going to cosplay Romano for that very reason, what with me being Sicilian and all. But I dropped that for Belarus because 1.) I have more of an interest and love for the former Russian Empire/Soviet Union states 2.) My boyfriend has expressed interest in cosplaying Russia and-as a rule- we always cosplay pairings.

Actually being that nations ethnicity can be helpful in portraying them because your going in to the cosplay with-assumingly-a lifetime of experience from being that ethnicity already. Such as, if I were cosplaying Ramano, I would be making Zeppole for San Giuseppe on March 19th. I didn't need to research what that is and why it's done, because I already know it from existing. XD

I disagree with you. My favorite Japan cosplayer ever was a very very white girl. And she's really the most amazing Japan I've seen. And my girlfriend is VERY white, but due to her sheer personality and facial expressions, she makes the best Romano i have seen.

Also, remember cosplaying the character isnt BECOMING them. I'm an American and don't know all of America's history. I cosplay Italy, and I just know about his character, not too much of the country's background. And from what i hear, i make a good Italy despite being having skin the color of sour cream.

This applies with all fandoms. We never really cosplay within our race, otherwise i'd be limited to cosplaying just America, or any other pastey white characters. I wouldn't have cosplayed Italy due to being too light, and Annabel wouldn't have cosplayed Japan due to not being asian.

Like i always say: Cosplay who you love, not who you look like. The point of cosplaying is to do what you love and enjoy.

Anyone who tells me Annabel isn't a good Japan simply because she's white... is probably blind.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/71661_10150287492740254_521430253_15565745_3650993 _n.jpg She's the one in the middle.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/183239_113165185424713_100001936963311_102587_5202 79_n.jpg Thats my girlfriend as Romano (its hard to find a good shot of her). And despite being whiter than me, she looks great.

What I believe works best, especially in the Hetalia fandom, isn't exactly what race you are as the character. Its how in-character you come off in photos. In our Hetalia cosplay group, the people who become the group's "official" (but not really official) cosplayers are the ones who have the best personality relating to the character. Like how our Germany can scream at the top of her lungs and everyone will shut up out of fear. Or how our France can get in your personal space and you will instantly feel like punching her in the face (Before you ask: This is all between close friends at private gatherings. Not in public or at cons, with people we don't know. So we aren't being THOSE hetalia cosplayers. Its fun between friends).

If ethnicity really mattered, we'd be screwed in a fandom like Hetalia. Especially since all my asian friends want to cosplay the white characters, and my white friends cosplay the asian ones. And you know what? We all look good doing it, in my opinion.

No, some of us aren't the super showcase perfect cosplay shots you put on the front page of a cosplay magazine. But that doesn't mean we aren't good cosplayers simply because of our race.

Like i said before: Your race matching up is a nice touch to a cosplay, just like having their eye color naturally, or being their height, or having a similar voice is. But all of that is by no means mandatory.

Ritsu H Saotome
02-25-2011, 04:30 PM
"I think ethnicity can be a factor in choosing your country"

Ethnicity should never be factor in cosplay because it would limit consumer options and their tastes. As an hypothetical example, I have enough money ($100) to purchase a Canada and a Cuba or Russia cosplay. I want to do Canada and Cuba because I have Hawaiian shirts and shorts and only need the wigs which cost $100. But since I can't be Cuba since I'm white, I can only be Canada and Russia. The Canada wig and Russia costume and Wig cost $150, (for sake of the argument, don't reply with "you didn't have to buy Russia" or anything similar to that) so I buy the Canada wig and Russian costume without the wig.

I wanted to have two complete cosplays, but I'm left with one complete and one incomplete cosplay. Since I don't like being that incomplete, I can only be Canada for the next con and my happiness goes down as my want wasn't satisfied.

MaikusRequiem
02-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Also, remember cosplaying the character isnt BECOMING them.

But, it kind of is. Half of the fun and point of cosplay is acting like and roleplaying-ie becoming-the character.

And from what i hear, i make a good Italy despite being having skin the color of sour cream.

I'm 100 percent Sicilian and I'm as pale as a ghost. Actually...most of the Italians I know-myself and the whole of my family-are pretty pale.

What I said was, ethnicity canbe a deciding factor if you want it to be. I was not saying and did not say that it dictates who or what you cosplay as. Does it add or detract from a cosplay? In my opinion, yes it can. I am going to sit here and say that a if a white person cosplays a Asian character it's horrible? No. If the cosplay is good, then it's a good cosplay. Them actually being Asian would just add to it being better.

belligerent
02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
As a Lithuanian, I didn't really have much of an interest in hetalia until I learned there was a Lithuania character when nobody I have ever met knew where that was or that it was even a real country.

Chronology:
Interest in hetalia --> meet other hetalia fans who cosplay --> First cosplay --> Lithuania (borrowed, but hey)

Ethnicity becomes factor in cosplay character BAM YAY HOORAY!!

That's not who I'm really good at, though. People keep on me to be Sverige for various and sundry, despite my lack of height and uhm, actual Swedishness.

glitter bomb
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't care at all about the ethnicity of other people when they cosplay. It doesn't make me view their cosplays in a negative light or feel the cosplays are a lesser quality. actually find many racebending costumes quite fun.

The only time it becomes an issue is when the race of the character is a huge part of character recognition. There are some characters that have such iconic costumes that you'll still recognize the character no matter what the race of the cosplayer. (In particular some of the superhero costumes, like Wonder Woman or Superman.) However, with other characters the cosplayer has to work very hard to make the character identifiable when switching ethnicities, really studying the key elements and putting in extra effort for accuracy.

While I don't care if other people racebend, when it comes to my own cosplays ethnicity definitely limits my choices.

For some reason I keep thinking of all these very cool African-American characters or celebrities that I'd want to cosplay. The problem is I'm very very White. Like, glow-in-the-dark White. ;) I feel that in most cases the race is what identifies the character and the cosplay just wouldn't be recognizable when worn by a White girl with White Girl hair. And I cannot see any conceivable way of using paint or makeup on my skin that wouldn't come across as horribly insensitive and offensive Blackface. So most of those cosplays are off-limits for me, despite their coolness.

When it comes to lighter-skinned races though, like Asian or Hispanic, usually I feel it's not as noticeable a difference to make the cosplay unrecognizable. So a lot of those I'm comfortable with.

Riyunah
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey I'm a small (barely 5'0) Asian girl who'll be cosplaying as Russia!
Liek, I'm an instant chibi Russia X3

I'm doing Canada next...
The only thing that sucks is....eyebrows!

Ethnicity doesn't matter, if you keep thinking about it you'll just get worried/confused.
It won't help you enjoy what you want to cosplay. ^^

nkedwards90
03-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Straight up American (meaning I'm a little mix of like everything) cosplaying Russia.

kiratsukai
03-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi. I think you don't worry about this. I'm also Asian.(I'm Japanese.)
But, I do Hetalia's Finland .^^
I'm looking forward to seeing your Nordics!
Have fun!

ebiko fits in my pocket.
She is adorable.
True story.

Emiko87
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm 1/4 Polish Jew, 1/4 Israeli Jew, 1/4 Frisian, 1/8 Welsh, and 1/8 Ojibwe/French Canadian, and my only Hetalia cosplay sp far has been Lithuania lol. I don't think I could pull off Poland, Netherlands, or England/UK at all, though I might be able to do female Canada if I tried lol. I think I look a lot like Lithuania though. This year I'm planning to be female Lithuania (I found that there actually is an official design, though it's only a headshot) and next year if all goes well I want to be female France. Bonus for me in that one because I actually do speak a little French; sadly I only know about 10 words of Lithuanian and none of them go together to make a coherent sentence.

belligerent
03-06-2011, 09:40 PM
The only thing they talk about in Lithuanian is basketball, anyway.

Emiko87
03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Actually, my main reason for wanting to learn the language is so I can go there (if I ever get any money lol.) But it would be fun for cosplaying too.

belligerent
03-07-2011, 12:41 AM
My family used to own land there (about 80 acres which is a shit-tonne for Europe) before they were forcibly extracted by the Soviet army around WW2. Recently, the cousin of my father who had inherited this land eventually, after independence, was approached by shady individuals who did not deal in offers meant to be refused, so my family no longer owns land in Lithuania.

I've also been told I shouldn't go there because I'll be killed and have my passport taken from me for my very Lithuanian last name. So YMMV!

RedeadDie
03-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Hollah for Lithuanians! I'm so glad people of all races cosplay Lithuania and are fans of him. I love Lithuania (besides German it's most of my nationality) and am just glad now that people actually know the country exsists. Before Hetalia, most people I met (in America) were like, "Whhha? What's Lithuania? You made that country up!"

Very Lithuanian last name? I have a VERY Lithuanian last name as well, so is that bad if I go visit?

Axelai
03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Hollah for Lithuanians! I'm so glad people of all races cosplay Lithuania and are fans of him. I love Lithuania (besides German it's most of my nationality) and am just glad now that people actually know the country exsists. Before Hetalia, most people I met (in America) were like, "Whhha? What's Lithuania? You made that country up!"

Very Lithuanian last name? I have a VERY Lithuanian last name as well, so is that bad if I go visit?

People think I'm lying when I say my grandpa was "German, Russian, and Polish" and was a complete ass XD;; They think I'm telling a joke.

I'm very Mexican, but with a last name like "Hall" and skin the color of sour cream, no one believes me. Even when I can't speak English very well and revert sometimes into Spanish :I Whatever man, whatever.

Soliel_Hime
03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Ok I feel the need to add my "2 cents" to the conversation. My main Hetalia cosplay is England, with Norway, Japan, China and Belgium as my secondaries. I'm American (all us Americans are really "mutts") with a very small percentage of English ancestry. I'm mostly German and Native American with a bit of English, Irish, and Jew mixed in. Now some of these don't even have cannon characters (yet).

That's the issue I have with people saying that ethnicity should matter in regards to Hetalia cosplay; some fans who's ancestry contains all non-cannon countries would have no one to cosplay. A good friend of mine falls into this category, she's considered both Latin American and African American, but she makes one of the most awesome France cosplayers ever! Why? Because she puts in the time and effort: her costume and wig are high quality, she colors her eyebrows and wears blue contacts, she even uses spirit gum and yellow yarn fuzz to make very realistic stubble. Not only that, but she's one of the only France's I've met while cosplaying England who is able to role-play with me to the extent onlookers have mistaken us for professionals.

Now, I'll agree, to a snob or noob, this could prove to lower the quality of the cosplay, but no more than someone with a poorly made costume, or one who can't even get in-character.

BeckyDR
03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Straight up American (meaning I'm a little mix of like everything) cosplaying Russia.

same here (Ameri-mutt cosplaying Russia). At Katsucon, I made friends with a Korean cosplaying Lithuania, a white American (not sure of ethnicity) cosplaying Poland, and an Italian cosplaying chibi!Russia, amongst others, and they were all very good with their characters.

MissLunatic
03-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm not that much into Hetalia, but I'd say that it would be really boring at cons if in one country the ppl just sticked to their ethnicity. Here in Europe it would mean very few Asian countries and if you are overexact: Could you imagine a Hetalia group only consisting of Germanys? Or Americas or Japans if you only would stick to your homecountry? ;)
Really strange picture to my mind and only half of the fun I guess except for shocking ppl maybe since they'd think they'd see an army of clones^^.

Besides this is a general issue I think. Should westerners cosplay reaaallly confirmed Asian chars? Or Asians cosplay chars that are confirmed to be of European/American heritage?
What about Black cosplayers?

Of course it is a good bonus if you share the exact same ethnicity. It's the same as sharing the same gender, same age, same eyecolor etc...
But to my mind it doesn't matter as long as the person loves his/her char and is able to emanate this special vibe. In other words: To reenact the char^^.

PS: Already cosplayed Asian chars as well and will do it in the future again I guess.

liivingdeadgirl
03-16-2011, 12:51 PM
It doesn't matter, though I won't lie, I do like seeing people look like their characters, no matter what their ethnicity might be. I tend to try and cosplay pale ass characters cause I'm a pasty white girl. I would love to cos someone like Katara or Yoruichi but I would need a super fantastic spray tan. XD

That's not to say some people can't pull it off, it just takes some effort. I'm just a stickler for trying to look as much like the character as you can.

Anmanda
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't think ethnicity matters at all actually. If a person put a lot of effort into a costume and really show that they love the character, and most important of all, have fun, the cosplay will be awesome no matter how you look or where you are from, that's my opinion on this ^^

Oh and on a sidnote, why does everybody seem to have such awesome heritages? Like... from a billion countries D8 I'm just some boring Finnish Swedish mix, but I don't even look like "the classic Nordic people" with the blonde hair and blue eyes... I have dark brown hair and REALLY dark brown eyes (they look black sometimes too) xD I'm just.. wierd I guess ;w; And I'm considering cosplaying Iggy... I haz not a single drop of Britishness in my blood 8C But I'll probably do it anyway xD

MissLunatic
03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh and on a sidnote, why does everybody seem to have such awesome heritages? Like... from a billion countries D8 I'm just some boring Finnish Swedish mix, but I don't even look like "the classic Nordic people" with the blonde hair and blue eyes... I have dark brown hair and REALLY dark brown eyes (they look black sometimes too) xD I'm just.. wierd I guess ;w; And I'm considering cosplaying Iggy... I haz not a single drop of Britishness in my blood 8C But I'll probably do it anyway xD

I guess it just sounds that awesome because only ppl with these mixed heritages write them down here xD.
E.g. mine isn't very interesting either. Most likely just German very likely mixed with a bit Polish from the border^^.

Anmanda
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I guess it just sounds that awesome because only ppl with these mixed heritages write them down here xD.
E.g. mine isn't very interesting either. Most likely just German very likely mixed with a bit Polish from the border^^.

Yeah you might actually have a point there xD

Axelai
03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Anmanda, aren't you from Finland? I think its more common for people in European countries to be only one or two different heritages. In America, we're pretty much each a mutt of a billion things, since we've got a million heritages around us every second. So if you see someone with a crazy heritage, chances are, they're American XD;;

Anmanda
03-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Anmanda, aren't you from Finland? I think its more common for people in European countries to be only one or two different heritages. In America, we're pretty much each a mutt of a billion things, since we've got a million heritages around us every second. So if you see someone with a crazy heritage, chances are, they're American XD;;

Yeah, wasn't that what I said? It might have been my epic sometimes failing English skillz that messed things up in my previous post.. idk xD But I still have some Swedishness in me too (I'm like.. 3/4 Finn and 1/4 Swede ;u;) But yep I live in Finland :3
I still know Swedish better than Finnish though.. since I live in the area of Finlad that has very many Swedish talking people (not necessarily Swedes, Finland have both Finnish and Swedish as its official languages... but only 6% of the population have Swedish as their first language an they all live in kind of the same place, and I happen to be a part of that minority lol.. so yeah... there are some.. I guess you could call them swedishspeaking finns in Finland too ^^') even if I kinda speak both languages since... it's Finland after all.. I can't live without knowing Finnish xD ..I'm always getting off topic damnit no one asked me what languages I speak.. and I'm having this long speech about it.. whoopsie ;;A;;

Hahah yeah that's actually true... Europe = inbreeding or something xD;;

tsukie
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
<< most boring one...... 100% Chinese...... or 50% Chinese + 50% Taiwanese.....

MissLunatic
03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
<< most boring one...... 100% Chinese...... or 50% Chinese + 50% Taiwanese.....

I'd not call this boring^^. It just depends on your point of view ;).

Besides I guess Axelei you are right.^^ America the big cooking pot xD due to imigration and stuff. The same goes for Australia surely.

Europeans and Asians seem far more likely to interbreed due to borderlines but just in comparison. There are mixed heritages as well here.

tsukie
03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd not call this boring^^. It just depends on your point of view ;)..

Well...I didn't mean it in a bad way~XD
It's simple and easy... at least I won't get confused personally~XD"

I just think it's amazing~ :3

KarmaxCore
03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I think it's silly to even THINK that ethnicity should matter when cosplaying at all. It's about having fun and loving yourself and showing your love for the character... I cosplay a lot from Hetalia and i'm technically black&european, but it doesn't stop me from cosplaying anything..because it doesn't matter ^_^

Axelai
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd not call this boring^^. It just depends on your point of view ;).

Besides I guess Axelei you are right.^^ America the big cooking pot xD due to imigration and stuff. The same goes for Australia surely.

Europeans and Asians seem far more likely to interbreed due to borderlines but just in comparison. There are mixed heritages as well here.

*you bolded my name and STILL spelled it wrong XDD

I didn't say there weren't mixed heritages, just not as... odd as Americans usually. Its really common to hear "German Russian Polish French Italian Spanish Irish Mexican" here than elsewhere. LOL

MissLunatic
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
*you bolded my name and STILL spelled it wrong XDD

I didn't say there weren't mixed heritages, just not as... odd as Americans usually. Its really common to hear "German Russian Polish French Italian Spanish Irish Mexican" here than elsewhere. LOL

Omg gomen nasai, Axelai ^^'' (Axelai Axelai .... well now I should get it right ;))! Damn misstype ^^''.

And yup, that's most likely true.

Gwazi57
03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
* Its really common to hear "German Russian Polish French Italian Spanish Irish Mexican" here than elsewhere. LOL

Ikr? I'm "French German Canadian Panamanian" plus more cuz I have adopted people in my family history.

Us Americans....so mixed up

meepstio
03-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I think it's silly to rly care about ethnicity when it comes to cosplaying...
Someone came up to my friend who was cosplaying Canada saying 'oh wow an asian canada that's new!' and it's like . . . O_o he's just cosplaying Canada, why point out his ethnicity -_- can't he just be known as Canada instead of oh lol its an asian!canada =__=

VanillaxCupcake
03-27-2011, 03:56 PM
It doesn't really matter to me, I like the diversity, but I am Belarusian, I have the accent and I cosplay Belarus so I seem fit. But I had a lot of fun with an asian Russia at Anime Boston last year, and I had no problem at all!

Meaier
03-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Just as the rest here, I don't think where you are from is important. After all, we are cosplaying characters from other series that is suppose to be japanese all the time.
I am swedish, and have only Scandinavian blood, and I would find it fun to cosplay Sweden or another country from the north but since I don't crossplay (yet) I'm making Hungary for my first one. A country I know next to nothing about.

But I would not cosplay a character with dark complexion, don't feel right for me, but I don't care if others do.

ThatOneGirl
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
...This may be sort of an old topic, but a lot of the comments are wonderful. It gives me hope for the Hetalia fandom that most people don't care a bit about actual ethnicity. =)

My opinion is that it's silly to even worry about- the people who complain about someone 'not being the right race' for a cosplay really piss me off.

It's like how eight of the shortest people I know are Russia cosplayers. What are you going to do about it? NOTHING. So what if I'm a normal-hieght Liet and am still half a foot taller than whichever Russia I'm hanging out with?
So what if you want to cosplay a character who isn't your ethnicity? If we were all stuck with that rule...
Well, let's just say that I would /not/ make a good Poland!

Strawberrylawli
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
One of the best icelands i know of is asian.

Now for me being a tanned skin colour (i'm half black and native american) I don't cosplay blondes or light haired characters like Iceland though I would like to.(it's a personal choice not to, there are good dark skinned cosplayers of blond characters) My Romano cosplay started out as a cosplay for me to do in summer/early fall when I had a tan and couldn't do my other cosplays. I ended up falling in love with him though and cosplaying him all year round.

Ineedaname9
08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
LOL sorry just thought of this but if we only went by ethnicity..... I could only be Japan or Germany and those two are sssoooo alike~ lol *cracks up at mental images*